New Mexico
✟54,344.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
My ten-year-old is ready to be baptized after accepting Jesus as her Savior. She has even asked to be baptized twice. The problem is we are in between churches and are looking to move soon. Plus, there is COVID.

We will probably wait until we move to find a church happy and willing to baptize my baby. But I would like to consider my options. Thanks!

Reactions: hluke

hluke

Jul 28, 2020
Melbourne
✟22,274.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
It is very possible for you to baptise her yourself. Just chuck on the bath-tap, or even go to the local beach. Perhaps get some family members to make it a public confession of faith. Otherwise I'd find a public ministry in your area that offers baptism.

Great to hear her enthusiasm: she's still young.

I myself have not been immersed in water... the heart, faith, and the Spirit is what matters.

God bless you and your children!!

Reactions: HappyHope
Upvote 0

hluke

Jul 28, 2020
Melbourne
✟22,274.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Any baptized christian can baptize. It have nothing to do with public. It is cleaning your sins, receiving guardian angel and becoming christian. But if you want the best for your daughter join the orthodox church.
God over religion always. There's one truth, and that truth will set you free :tonguewink:

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟728,246.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
My ten-year-old is ready to be baptized after accepting Jesus as her Savior. She has even asked to be baptized twice. The problem is we are in between churches and are looking to move soon. Plus, there is COVID.

We will probably wait until we move to find a church happy and willing to baptize my baby. But I would like to consider my options. Thanks!

General Christian practice is that pastors perform the Rite of Baptism. Now, that doesn't mean a Baptism is invalid unless it is done by an ordained pastor of course, even a pagan or an atheist can perform the Rite of Baptism in an extreme circumstance. As long as it is Christian Baptism it is valid. But under normal circumstances we reserve the administration of the Sacrament to those called and ordained by and in the Church as the ministry of Word and Sacrament is the whole purpose of the divine ministry.

As such, unless there is an emergency reason otherwise, it would be (for the sake of good order at least) prudent to have the pastor of the church you belong to administer Baptism for your child. Given your present circumstances, it would be wise I think to wait until you are part of a church community and then have the pastor administer the Sacrament.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,147,348.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
Baptism has several meanings. One is a sign of faith and repentance. But it's also the NT equivalent of circumcision, which is the sign of entrance into God's people. To have its full significance it really should be associated with a commitment to a church. In most churches that means it's done by a pastor, but it's not because only a pastor has the power to baptize. Rather, in most Christian groups he is acting as a representative of the congregation, and they are acting for the Church as a whole. Baptism should never be just into one denomination or congregation, but into God's people.

• Agree
Reactions: hluke
Upvote 0

Der Alte

This is me about 1 yr. old.
Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
EST
✟992,249.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I am a Southern Baptist I once had a pastor who visited the husband of member in the hospital whose death was imminent. He asked to be baptized. The pastor said "You are hooked up to all these tubes etc. we can't baptize you." he man said "Here is a glass of water baptize me with that." The pastor refused said "That is not a proper baptism."
I agree that a biblical baptism is full immersion but if I could bring some peace to a dying man with a glass of water I would do it.

Upvote 0

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,147,348.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
I am a Southern Baptist I once had a pastor who visited the husband of member in the hospital whose death was imminent. He asked to be baptized. The pastor said "You are hooked up to all these tubes etc. we can't baptize you." he man said "Here is a glass of water baptize me with that." The pastor refused said "That is not a proper baptism."
I agree that a biblical baptism is full immersion but if I could bring some peace to a dying man with a glass of water I would do it.
Indeed

Years ago I was moderator of a Christian discussion group using a pre-Internet technology. We had one posting about a person who belonged to a group that believed:
  • That you must be baptized to be saved
  • That baptism must be by immersion
Someone who was preparing to join them got into an accident and ended up in the ICU. It was impossible to baptize him. He died believing he was going to hell.

• Prayers
Reactions: pdudgeon
Upvote 0

Der Alte

This is me about 1 yr. old.
Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
EST
✟992,249.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Indeed

Years ago I was moderator of a Christian discussion group using a pre-Internet technology. We had one posting about a person who belonged to a group that believed:
  • That you must be baptized to be saved
  • That baptism must be by immersion
Someone who was preparing to join them got into an accident and ended up in the ICU. It was impossible to baptize him. He died believing he was going to hell.
Most of my Baptist "brethren" would not agree with us. Although they will preach "Baptism does not do anything for you except get you wet if you are not already saved"

Upvote 0

Dan Perez

Dec 13, 2018
Arcadia
✟193,984.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Most of my Baptist "brethren" would not agree with us. Although they will preach "Baptism does not do anything for you except get you wet if you are not already saved"

Hi and in Eph 4:5 there is ONE BAPTISM .

Actually , the Greek text reads , that there is ONE / HEIS , BAPTISM / BAPTISMA .

That is actual words ONE BAPTISMA which means there is only ONE BAPTIZER and that One Baptized is the HOLY SPIRIT .

In the BODY OF CHRIST there is no WATER BAPTISM , PERIOD .

The Greek word BAPTISMA is used some 2 times from Matthew --Ephesians .

John the BAPTIZE should be called JOHN THE BAPTIZER !

DAN P

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums