✟38,345.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Reformers-panorama.jpg

I only know Martin Luther (top left) and (top right) Philip Melanchthon. Anyone familiar with the reformers?

Quid est Veritas?

In Memoriam to CS Lewis
Feb 27, 2016
South Africa
✟316,433.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
First Row: Martin Luther, John Wycliffe, John Oecolampadius, Huydrich Zwingli, Philip Melancthon.
Second row: Peter Martyr, John Calvin, William Tyndale, John Knox, Thomas Cranmer

At least that is my opinion.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

All Glory To God

Aug 13, 2020
U. K.
✟69,537.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Private
First Row: Martin Luther, John Wycliffe, John Oecolampadius, Huydrich Zwingli, Philip Melancthon.
Second row: Peter Martyr, John Calvin, William Tyndale, John Knox, Thomas Cranmer

At least that is my opinion.

I think you answered more correct names than I did, so well done for that. However I think the person you named Zwingli actually is Erasmus :

desiderius erasmus
upload_2020-12-9_10-46-36.jpeg

ulrich zwingli
upload_2020-12-9_10-47-19.jpeg

Looks like Zwingli didn't even make this persons list? Even though he Reformed Roman Catholic Switzerland.

Upvote 0

Quid est Veritas?

In Memoriam to CS Lewis
Feb 27, 2016
South Africa
✟316,433.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
I think you answered more correct names than I did, so well done for that. However I think the person you named Zwingli actually is Erasmus :

desiderius erasmus
View attachment 290274

ulrich zwingli
View attachment 290275

Looks like Zwingli didn't even make this persons list? Even though he Reformed Roman Catholic Switzerland.
Erasmus is not a Protestant (or proto-Protestant like Wycliffe), although his ideas and work helped usher in the Reformation. He doesn't really belong in that line-up, I feel. They should substitute Zwingli in the picture, or Jan Hus.

Upvote 0

All Glory To God

Aug 13, 2020
U. K.
✟69,537.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Private
Erasmus is not a Protestant (or proto-Protestant like Wycliffe), although his ideas and work helped usher in the Reformation. He doesn't really belong in that line-up, I feel. They should substitute Zwingli in the picture, or Jan Hus.

I would agree to that.

Zwingli barely gets a mention when mentioning the reformation, which is odd considering the impact he made.

• Agree
Reactions: jamiec
Upvote 0

jamiec

Aug 2, 2020
Scotland
✟42,265.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Reformers-panorama.jpg

I only know Martin Luther (top left) and (top right) Philip Melanchthon. Anyone familiar with the reformers?
Second from the upper left is John Wycliffe.

I’m surprised Martin Bucer is missing - & no Olaus Petri, no Peter Martyr Vermigli, no Heinrich Bullinger, no no Menno Simons, no Andreas Osiander, no Sebastian Castellio, no Bernardino Ochino either. These were all important figures, representing different strands of Protestantism - especially if one includes John of Leiden & Fausto Sozzini, the latter of whom founded Socinianism. If a second-generation Protestant like John Knox (who died in 1572), or John Calvin, qualifies for a mention, I think Matthew Parker, the second Protestant Archbishop of Canterbury (1559-75) also qualifies.

It’s curious to include Erasmus as one of the Protestant Reformers. And in my humble opinion, Wycliffe only belongs among them if one looks back on him with a Protestant POV. Jan Hus probably has a better claim to be a proto-Protestant.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Fervent

Sep 22, 2020
San jacinto
✟128,642.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I would agree to that.

Zwingli barely gets a mention when mentioning the reformation, which is odd considering the impact he made.
A lot of that is because Zwingli takes a lot of the blame for laying the foundation to go from sola scriptura to nuda scriptura. If the anabaptist movement had survived he would be more robustly known.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums