Arizona
✟66,649.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Never use our (Canada's) healthcare system as an example of being even remotely good or better than anything.
It's horribly broken and we pay a fortune in taxes for subpar service. Many Canadian's who live near the border will cross over for faster and better service.

Oh sure it's nice to be able to walk into a doctors office when you are sick and not pay a dime out of pocket at that time. But the second he prescribes you anything look out. A few months ago I felt horrible and went to the doctor. For just one week of medication it cost me almost $100. I feel bad for those who are on medications regularly up here.

I'm not saying taxpayer funded healthcare is bad either. It works well in many European countries. I believe France has the best model with a two tier system (public & private). Just Canada is a horrible example.
And yet your system is still performing better than ours.

Overall Health Care System Performance Rankings
  1. United Kingdom
  2. Switzerland
  3. Sweden
  4. Australia
  5. Netherlands
  6. Germany
  7. Norway
  8. New ealand
  9. France
  10. Canada
  11. United States

How the Performance of the US Health Care System Compares Internationally
"The United States health care system is the most expensive in the world, but comparative analyses consistently show the U.S. underperforms relative to other countries on most dimensions of performance. Among the 11 nations studied in this report—Australia, Canada, France, Germany, the Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Sweden, Switzerland, the United Kingdom, and the United States—the U.S. ranks last, as it did in prior editions of Mirror, Mirror. The United Kingdom ranks first, followed closely by Switzerland. Since the data in this study were collected, the U.S. has made significant strides adopting health information technology and undertaking payment and delivery system reforms spurred by the Affordable Care Act. Continued implementation of the law could further encourage more affordable access and more efficient organization and delivery of health care, and allow investment in preventive and population health measures that could improve the performance of the U.S. health care system."​

Upvote 0

Reep

✞ ~Catholic~ ✞
Jul 7, 2015
Canada
Visit site
✟7,962.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Others
A one spot difference isn't much though. My issue is that far too many American's have this view of Canadian healthcare that simply does not exist (blame Michael Moore?). Most (even in Canada) would assume we're number 1. Number 10 seems fairly accurate.

According to the study, Canadian families will pay on average between $3,592 to $11,786 for public health insurance in 2014, depending on the size of their family. For the purposes of their research, the study authors looked at six different family types. [X]
Canadian patients struggle to finance cancer treatment

Upvote 0

HonestTruth

Jul 4, 2013
Reaganomics: TOTAL FAIL
✟9,787.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Who is greedy? Is it the doctor who asks $200/hour for his consultation, or the patient who expects the result of that person's million-dollar education (including years in internship, residency, etc.) to be available to him for little or nothing???

The greedy are those who want what others have, but are not willing to pay the cost of obtaining that from the other person!!!

None greedier than the Dick Cheneys of this world who make up war and collect multiple billions in profits at taxpayer expense while the right wing applauds them.

Upvote 0

TerranceL

Sarcasm is kind of an art isn't it?
Jul 3, 2009
✟105,808.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
So if I don't make enough money to pay for my health insurance or medication, I deserve to not be treated by a doctor or deserve to suffer and possibly die? I will suffer and possibly die if I can't buy my expensive medication.
What else are you entitled to? Food? Shelter? Internet? A smart phone?

Tax dollars funding things like healthcare and paying doctors who provide it is "expecting others to work for free"? Hmm, we have a different definition of "free" then.
Probably has something to do with your usage of the word entitled.

Everyone is entitled to basic necessities, and those who provide them should receive reimbursement for providing them (that's where the tax dollars go, to fund the system).
No, everyone is entitled to what they can pay for.

Reactions: Avid
Upvote 0

TerranceL

Jul 3, 2009
✟105,808.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Some people ask me, "Hey, why don't you take conservatives in America seriously?"

"Well," says I, "I might be more inclined to take conservatives in America more seriously if they managed to say things that were either moral or sensible, but since they do neither, I am inclined to not take them seriously."

And with the passage of time I find American conservatism becoming increasingly the voice of gross immorality, barbarism, and irrationality.

As both a Christian and a lover of civilization I cannot in good conscience take modern American conservatism seriously except as a threat against human dignity and--as it attempts to misappropriate my religion--a hostile threat against the Christian faith.

-CryptoLutheran
Well hey at least you got to stand up and pontificate about how much better and moral you are than other people.

Reactions: Avid and Reep
Upvote 0

AHH who-stole-my-name

in accordance with Christ
Jul 29, 2011
✟27,817.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Or the government would have to intervene to ensure that this system functions.
The word "functions" may be problematic depending on the political party in power. The government is tied to the party of the presiding president and if his particular ideology is negative, the word functions might include at a sustenance level or below.

Upvote 0

KitKatMatt

stupid bleeding heart feminist liberal
May 2, 2013
✟29,520.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Is this an industry where you can do freelance work on the side and spin it as experience?

I don't know if there's any room for a freelance person in this field. You basically have to be hired by a group that does it now. Sort of like how most places don't hire individual employees for medical transcription, they just hire a company that has all of those employees (this is what stopped me from going into medical transcription, the companies I contacted don't allow their employees to work from home and they were located a few hours away).

Upvote 0

TerranceL

Jul 3, 2009
✟105,808.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
I don't know if there's any room for a freelance person in this field. You basically have to be hired by a group that does it now. Sort of like how most places don't hire individual employees for medical transcription, they just hire a company that has all of those employees (this is what stopped me from going into medical transcription, the companies I contacted don't allow their employees to work from home and they were located a few hours away).

Can't you do data entry? I know it's not what you were trained for but I imagine if you can do medical transcription your typing speed is pretty good.

Upvote 0

KitKatMatt

May 2, 2013
✟29,520.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Can't you do data entry? I know it's not what you were trained for but I imagine if you can do medical transcription your typing speed is pretty good.

Yes, and I have done data entry in the past. The problem is that I was still paid minimum wage, which I can't support myself on. I have to rely on family for housing, some food, and some gas, and they're elderly and on Social Security. I know I'm a burden because of this, but without them I would not even have a roof over my head (I don't make enough to rent even the cheapest apartment around).

Upvote 0

TerranceL

Jul 3, 2009
✟105,808.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Yes, and I have done data entry in the past. The problem is that I was still paid minimum wage, which I can't support myself on. I have to rely on family for housing, some food, and some gas, and they're elderly and on Social Security. I know I'm a burden because of this, but without them I would not even have a roof over my head (I don't make enough to rent even the cheapest apartment around).
I've read things you've said in the past about some medical issues that you have, have you thought of attempting to get disability from SSI?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

KitKatMatt

May 2, 2013
✟29,520.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
I've read things you've said in the past about some medical issues that you have, have you thought of attempting to get disability from SSI?

Yeah, I tried a few years ago and was denied several times. I'm trying again now, and currently waiting on the response. I have another lawyer lined up to help me if I get denied again.

My issues are getting worse, but I can still work a little bit if I get on disability and I want to continue working as much as possible.

Upvote 0

TerranceL

Jul 3, 2009
✟105,808.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Yeah, I tried a few years ago and was denied several times. I'm trying again now, and currently waiting on the response. I have another lawyer lined up to help me if I get denied again.

My issues are getting worse, but I can still work a little bit if I get on disability and I want to continue working as much as possible.

Ok good you have a lawyer helping. That's god. I hope things work out for you.

Upvote 0

Maren

Veteran
Oct 20, 2007
✟57,368.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private

Those that complain about disability don't understand how tough it is to get on; the typical process -- no matter how disabled a person may be -- is for all applications to be initially denied. It takes months, and typically a lawyer, to get on disability; and naturally you are not working and frequently are not receiving benefits in the months (or even a couple of years) it takes to finally get disability benefits.

Upvote 0

KitKatMatt

May 2, 2013
✟29,520.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Those that complain about disability don't understand how tough it is to get on; the typical process -- no matter how disabled a person may be -- is for all applications to be initially denied. It takes months, and typically a lawyer, to get on disability; and naturally you are not working and frequently are not receiving benefits in the months (or even a couple of years) it takes to finally get disability benefits.

I know :( It's an incredibly tough process that makes a lot of people just give up and keep suffering.

I'm having to wait three months to be told whether I'm accepted or denied, and if I'm denied it's probably going to be several months to a year of battling with a lawyer (that's what happened last time, but the lawyer switched firms and dropped me).

There are people worse off than I am (I at least have family that can try to help) and they're stuck not being able to work without any assistance at all while they wait.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

katherine2001

Veteran
Jun 24, 2003
Billings, MT
Visit site
✟11,346.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
That's what insurance companies would prefer. That's not what I'm arguing for.

The high cost of medical insurance in this country is in large part due to the high cost of malpractice insurance - it's the insurance companies that are causing the problem.

But malpractice should be an option. After all, there are doctors who have made really stupid mistakes--for instance, amputating the wrong leg. If a doctor makes that kind of mistake, they should have to pay out money for that mistake.

Upvote 0

morse86

Aug 2, 2014
✟60,258.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
We need a system reset. The price of healthcare is due to many cofounding factors.

Healthcare used to be very cheap a couple of decades ago (not perfect). People that could not afford to pay, the churches and volunteers took care of the bill. The healthcare today is a complete mess....with falsified science and hoaxes driving it.

90% of the medical research is fraudulent, there are several studies to prove it:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3702092/

When Gov started subsidizing healthcare in the 60s, the churches/volunteers role became almost non-existent. It removed the "profit motive" preventing the free market from working. Now the healthcare industry could bill too much OR too little as determined by the Gov. There is no "price" determined by the market....cause it doesn't exist. There is no profit motive.

Think about it. Everything you do is economic. Trillions of transactions determine the economy and price. Not politicians. Not the gov. Not a single person. You cannot subsidize this.

Upvote 0

morse86

Aug 2, 2014
✟60,258.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
No one owes anyone anything. Nobody owes you a job. Nobody owes you healthcare. Nobody owes you food, shelter, or clothing.

Genesis 3:19:
In the sweat of thy face shalt thou eat bread, till thou return unto the ground; for out of it wast thou taken: for dust thou art, and unto dust shalt thou return.

The only thing free in this life is the free gift of life from God. Nothing else is guaranteed.

God wants you to work hard 6 days a week.

Money is the root of all evil. Prices are high because we have unstable money. The quantity of money does not matter, the VALUE of moeny is what matters. What you earn today should buy you the same healthcare a decade later.

Think about it, we can deposit billion dollars in everyones account...it will not fix the problem.

Upvote 0

morningstar2651

Senior Veteran
Dec 6, 2004
Arizona
✟66,649.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
But malpractice should be an option. After all, there are doctors who have made really stupid mistakes--for instance, amputating the wrong leg. If a doctor makes that kind of mistake, they should have to pay out money for that mistake.
The doctor doesn't pay for that - the doctor pays for malpractice insurance and raises the price of treatment to cover their malpractice insurance, which in turn raises the price of health insurance. Ultimately, insurance companies have too much control over the cost of health care in this country and it's in their best interests for people to not be able to afford care without insurance.

Upvote 0

Paradoxum

Liberty, Equality, Solidarity!
Sep 16, 2011
✟28,188.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
In the video game industry, the most profitable market right now is mobile games. More specifically, free to play mobile games. Crossy Road made $10 million in 90 days, took 6 weeks to develop, and you can download it and play it for free.

I'm just going to let that sink in - in 90 days they made more money than most people make in their lifetime by giving their product to consumers for free.

Well I'm definitely not jealous. But what has this got to do with what I said? :D

I'm surprised free and mobile games earn more than console games.

Upvote 0