Wisconsin
✟21,565.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Divorced
Found this video online. I have been a fan of Bode Lang's work. This video examines those sources normally deemed "fact checkers" whose business it is to check the accuracy of the media and news reports. But who's checking them? I don't spend a lot of time using such resources like Snopes or Politifact so his critique won't hit home much for what I use. I did think it was interesting that he claims that the fact check sites are actually supported by left-wing news sources and all of them have as their business to criticize conservative sources while giving left-wing ones a pass.

the video is at

tulc

loves "SO'S YER MOM!! posts!
May 18, 2002
✟271,570.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
(snip) I don't spend a lot of time using such resources like Snopes or Politifact so his critique won't hit home much for what I use. (snip)
...can you define what you mean by "don't spend a lot of time using such resources"? :scratch:
tulc(is just curious) :wave:

Upvote 0

Yarddog

Senior Contributor
Supporter
Jun 25, 2008
Louisville, Ky
✟812,249.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Found this video online. I have been a fan of Bode Lang's work. This video examines those sources normally deemed "fact checkers" whose business it is to check the accuracy of the media and news reports. But who's checking them? I don't spend a lot of time using such resources like Snopes or Politifact so his critique won't hit home much for what I use. I did think it was interesting that he claims that the fact check sites are actually supported by left-wing news sources and all of them have as their business to criticize conservative sources while giving left-wing ones a pass.

the video is at
Most conservative news sources try to cast doubt on fact check sites by claiming they are backed by leftist funding but Politifact, Snopes, and Fact Check are not. We shouldn't, however, be lazy and freely accept facts without following the sources they provide. Most good sites have to provide their sources so you can see the actual data.

Upvote 0

AvisG

Supporter
Oct 15, 2019
West
✟23,081.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
"Who will judge the judges?" That was being asked way back in Ancient Greece and Rome.

You are the fact checkers now. However, when you do this for truths sake (facts) alone , you will find people put you in a box of left or right . This in effect leaves behind right vs wrong under bias where "feelings" overrule the fact.

Exactly. One unfortunate consequence (among many) of the digital age is that we now have so many information sources that people mindlessly flit from one to another in search of The One That Will Tell Me the Truth. None will tell you the truth. You may not even tell yourself the truth, but that's your best bet.

Upvote 0

Jeff S

Feb 11, 2018
Wisconsin
✟21,565.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Divorced
...can you define what you mean by "don't spend a lot of time using such resources"? :scratch:
tulc(is just curious) :wave:

Actually i don't spend any time using such resources. I have looked at snopes but that was so long ago and maybe politifact so long ago that it doesn't really count as me using the resources hardly at all. But I can't say that I've not used them, hence the "don't spend a lot of time"

Trouble is I often check news sources with my phone and only so many icons fit on the screen at one time and that's what I look at and I can't always keep track of all these other ones I should be looking at.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

grasping the after wind

That's grasping after the wind
Jan 18, 2010
Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Fact checking the fact checkers is easier than one might think. First don't pay any attention to their conclusions or their ratings before reading the article first. Often they will tip off any bias in those articles and often after reading an article one will be mystified by the rating or conclusion they come to.

Upvote 0

tulc

May 18, 2002
✟271,570.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Fact checking the fact checkers is easier than one might think. First don't pay any attention to their conclusions or their ratings before reading the article first. Often they will tip off any bias in those articles and often after reading an article one will be mystified by the rating or conclusion they come to.
...which is why you use them, the good ones always have links to support the things they say, you follow those links then use those to do your own searches. That's why they're called "fact checkers" and not "the source of all truth!". As an aside? Fact checkers can make mistakes, but unlike some politicians, who shall remain nameless, they A) admit they made an error and B) correct those mistakes. :wave:
tulc(which is one reason he trusts fact checkers more then politicians) :oldthumbsup:

Upvote 0

tulc

May 18, 2002
✟271,570.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Why look at any of them when none of them can be trusted ?
Could be because we're encouraged to learn the truth about things, but no one has time to reinvent the wheel every single time you want to figure something out? You find ones who've been accurate in the past, take what they say, do your own searching and go on from there. :wave:
tulc(just a thought) :)

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Could be because we're encouraged to learn the truth about things
IF so, why not look where the truth might be found, INSTEAD of looking where it is not, and from those who Yahweh IN HIS WORD SAYS whoever trusts them (the flesh/men/worldly) , HE (Yahweh) curses, as is evident daily.

Upvote 0

tulc

May 18, 2002
✟271,570.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
IF so, why not look where the truth might be found, INSTEAD of looking where it is not, and from those who Yahweh IN HIS WORD SAYS whoever trusts them (the flesh/men/worldly) , HE (Yahweh) curses, as is evident daily.
...you asked why people would look at fact checkers, I answered that question. :wave:
tulc(thinks yeshuaslavejeff is free to do with that information as he wishes) :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Erik Nelson

Supporter
Aug 6, 2017
Utah
✟347,045.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

the video is at
https://www.theblaze.com/news/candace-owens-sues-facebook-fact-checkers

Upvote 0

tulc

May 18, 2002
✟271,570.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I notice they didn't include the post they factchecked....I also noticed one of the links led to the article where they talked about how she's starting a new show...and of course her very publicly announcing how "our freedoms are being stripped away" (which is odd, because facebook isn't the government and is well within their rights to not allow anything they don't want on their site) is probably just a coincidence. I also noticed because of her post
Owens noted that the fact-checking led to her Facebook page being demonetized.
But I'm sure it's "a battle for our freedom" and not because of that that really got her upset.
tulc(well is...pretty sure any way) :sorry:

Upvote 0

Redwingfan9

Jul 23, 2019
Midwest
✟70,636.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married

the video is at
The problem with fact check sites is that they too often fact check opinions they disagree with. They also have a tendency to be more critical of conservatives and Republicans, giving them more demerits for equal factually incorrect statements than they give liberals and Democrats.

Upvote 0