White woman could spend a year in prison for calling police on black man

Should the woman spend a year in prison for calling police on a black man?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

Tony B

Oct 7, 2018
Tin Can Bay, Queensland
✟28,190.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
This is was an awful disagreement that escalated because she didn't know what he meant by "I'm going to do what I want now" and then called her dog over after the dispute.

Yes, I don’t think he is totally innocent either. In my opinion he was inciting conflict, or at least aggravating the situation by his choice of words and actions. I think they both deserve to be chastised, but the woman deserves a greater penalty if she instigated the incident through her disobeying a ‘dogs required to be on leash’ ordinance. But I don’t know all the facts, nor do I have access to their personal histories and current states of mind and emotion, and those need to be considered in any judgement.

Upvote 0

grasping the after wind

That's grasping after the wind
Jan 18, 2010
Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
What she did is close to a hate crime...... she wanted to call police and make the situation seem worse than it was because she believed the police would rough the guy up because of his race.

She wanted the guy to face harm and tried to increase the harm he would receive, by saying that a man was threatening a women....... and if that wasn't enough, an African American man threatening a white woman. And she didn't care whether or not the guy would have been beaten up or killed.

It is God's law that you reap what you sow.

But I personally would choose to forgive.

I highly doubt your version of what she was attempting to do i.e. get someone beaten up. I won't rule it out but I can't just go there without better evidence than you have supplied. I do agree that it is always preferable to forgive. However, that is the particular man's prerogative that was involved in the incident. He seems unwilling for the woman to be further punished.

Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟885,152.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
From the article:

A white woman who called the police and falsely accused a black man of threatening her life after he asked her to put her dog on a leash in Central Park faces a criminal charge, the Manhattan district attorney said on Monday.

Amy Cooper, the woman in the park encounter — which was recorded on video, touching off intense discussions about false police reports made by white people about black people — will be charged with filing a false report, a misdemeanor punishable by up to a year in jail.

“Today our office initiated a prosecution of Amy Cooper for falsely reporting an incident in the third degree,” Cyrus R. Vance Jr., the district attorney, said.

{snip}

Ms. Cooper, who was issued a desk appearance ticket on Monday, is scheduled to be arraigned on Oct. 14. If convicted, she could receive a conditional discharge or be sentenced to community service or counseling rather than jail time.

The episode occurred on Memorial Day. Ms. Cooper, who had been walking with her dog, encountered Christian Cooper, an avid bird watcher, in the Ramble, a semi-wild part of the park where dogs must be leashed.

Mr. Cooper asked Ms. Cooper, who is not related to him, to leash her dog, he said. When she refused, he said, he tried to lure the dog with treats in hopes of compelling her to restrain her pet.

The encounter turned ugly when Ms. Cooper told Mr. Cooper that she was calling the police and planned to tell them that an African-American man was threatening her life.

{snip}

Ms. Cooper, who had been a head of insurance portfolio management at Franklin Templeton, was fired from her job.

{snip}

Read the entire article here: Amy Cooper Faces Charges After Calling Police on Black Bird Watcher

Yeah if she lied to try to get the man arrested that is a serious offense and she should definitely get the maximum charge. Falsely accusing an innocent person of a crime can potentially result in them being incarcerated which could have a devastating impact on their life even after they’re released. Not only being locked up but time off work and bills piling up can hurt a person for months if not years.

• Agree
Reactions: Tigger45
Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟885,152.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I think a year is a bit harsh. But there definitely needs to be some sort of punishment.

I think a year in jail is fair considering that if her false accusation had not been discovered the innocent man could’ve gone to jail himself and resulted in many hardships for him. I think it’s a very serious offense that a simple slap on the wrist will not do justice.

Upvote 0

grasping the after wind

That's grasping after the wind
Jan 18, 2010
Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I think a year in jail is fair considering that if her false accusation had not been discovered the innocent man could’ve gone to jail himself and resulted in many hardships for him. I think it’s a very serious offense that a simple slap on the wrist will not do justice.
She already lost her job and is considered a pariah by everyone that has seen the encounter on line. Hardly a slap on the wrist. The man she called the police on agrees with me on that point. If he is satisfied why should anyone else seek more punishment?

Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟885,152.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
She already lost her job and is considered a pariah by everyone that has seen the encounter on line. Hardly a slap on the wrist. The man she called the police on agrees with me on that point. If he is satisfied why should anyone else seek more punishment?

Because the offense was also committed against the police department and it’s the law. That’s great that the man showed forgiveness but the police department should not. The law was intentionally broken and the standard must be kept. People need to know that false accusations incur a hefty punishment and is not a minor offense.

Upvote 0

section9+1

Mar 12, 2017
US
✟81,403.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
She should have leashed her dog. That's it. No crimes. She got scared and went a little overboard but no crimes. Nobody was hurt or has had any badness happen to them as a result of this except her. Any further prosecution is absurd and reinforces the evil.

Upvote 0

section9+1

Mar 12, 2017
US
✟81,403.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Because the offense was also committed against the police department and it’s the law. That’s great that the man showed forgiveness but the police department should not. The law was intentionally broken and the standard must be kept. People need to know that false accusations incur a hefty punishment and is not a minor offense.
So the crime was against the police? I thought that was the police's job to defuse conflicts. No one was arrested on the site so it should have ended there. If she gets prosecuted maybe next time she will learn something and carry a 9mm and bypass the police altogether. Seems to be practiced pretty effectively in the black communities.

Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟885,152.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
So the crime was against the police? I thought that was the police's job to defuse conflicts. No one was arrested on the site so it should have ended there. If she gets prosecuted maybe next time she will learn something and carry a 9mm and bypass the police altogether. Seems to be practiced pretty effectively in the black communities.

Its also the police’s job to uphold the law. And yes the crime was also against the police because she lied to them and that could’ve resulted in the arrest of an innocent man. Just because it didn’t doesn’t negate that fact that it could’ve and doesn’t absolve her of committing the crimes of both false accusation and perjury.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

section9+1

Mar 12, 2017
US
✟81,403.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Its also the police’s job to uphold the law. And yes the crime was also against the police because she lied to them and that could’ve resulted in the arrest of an innocent man. Just because it didn’t doesn’t negate that fact that it could’ve and doesn’t absolve her of committing the crimes of both false accusation and perjury.
Uphold the law? Laughable.

Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟885,152.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Uphold the law? Laughable.

Many people who are falsely accused are arrested and have to sit in jail until their court date because they can’t afford to pay for bail and end up declared innocent after they’ve already spent a couple months in jail. Falsely accusing someone of a crime can be devastating to a person’s life and shouldn’t be taken lightly at all.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,654,449.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟885,152.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

section9+1

Mar 12, 2017
US
✟81,403.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Do the crime, do the time.
If that was true, every single rioter would be in jail now or facing charges. If this woman gets prosecuted it will solve nothing. Just more rancor. Which is alright I suppose in the long run since division is our decreed destiny. We are born for this.

Upvote 0

FenderTL5

Κύριε, ἐλέησον.
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2016
Nashville TN
✟634,153.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
People who mind their own business are less apt to sit in jail.
Just imagine the Utopia when no one gets involved and there are no witnesses for anything at all.

Upvote 0