Los Angeles Area
✟827,888.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Violent hate crimes in L.A. hit highest level in more than a decade; white supremacist acts jump 38%

Los Angeles County reported the highest number of violent hate crimes last year in more than a decade, with white supremacist crimes jumping by 38%, while attacks on the transgender community surged 64%, according to a new report.

Of the 524 hate crimes reported in the county last year, 343 were of a violent nature, the largest number in this category since 2008, according to the Los Angeles County Commission on Human Relations 2019 annual report. There was one reported case of attempted murder.

Black people were targeted in 47% of the racially motivated hate crimes in 2019 while constituting only 9% of the county’s population, said Supervisor Mark Ridley-Thomas.

“For those who believe that racism is no longer a problem, I invite you to review the examples this report provides of these vile and cowardly crimes, more than 70% of which were classified as violent in nature,” Thomas said.

LAPD statistics showed hate crimes rose in Los Angeles for the fifth straight year in 2019, increasing 10.3% over the year before and reaching their highest level since 2002. A total of 322 hate crimes were reported last year — compared with 292 in 2018 — including 77 assaults. Blacks and the LGBTQ community were the most frequently targeted.

Arc F1

Let the righteous man arise from slumber
Site Supporter
Mar 14, 2020
Kentucky
✟146,863.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Violent hate crimes in L.A. hit highest level in more than a decade; white supremacist acts jump 38%

Los Angeles County reported the highest number of violent hate crimes last year in more than a decade, with white supremacist crimes jumping by 38%, while attacks on the transgender community surged 64%, according to a new report.

Of the 524 hate crimes reported in the county last year, 343 were of a violent nature, the largest number in this category since 2008, according to the Los Angeles County Commission on Human Relations 2019 annual report. There was one reported case of attempted murder.

Black people were targeted in 47% of the racially motivated hate crimes in 2019 while constituting only 9% of the county’s population, said Supervisor Mark Ridley-Thomas.

“For those who believe that racism is no longer a problem, I invite you to review the examples this report provides of these vile and cowardly crimes, more than 70% of which were classified as violent in nature,” Thomas said.

LAPD statistics showed hate crimes rose in Los Angeles for the fifth straight year in 2019, increasing 10.3% over the year before and reaching their highest level since 2002. A total of 322 hate crimes were reported last year — compared with 292 in 2018 — including 77 assaults. Blacks and the LGBTQ community were the most frequently targeted.

"Blacks and the LGBTQ community were the most frequently targeted."

2015–2019 Hate Crimes: Average Rates of Violence Against Selected Groups
Whites 69 percent
Black's 65 percent

The one thing I see across the nation is the lack of hate crime charges when the crime is directed towards whites. This political correctness would make all these numbers meaningless.

Reactions: NerdGirl
Upvote 0

Arc F1

Site Supporter
Mar 14, 2020
Kentucky
✟146,863.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Something or someone has emboldened these people. I wonder who or what that could be?

It's not someone it's something. Lack of employment, lack of self worth etc. People aren't happy with themselves so they act out and blame everyone else. We have a huge problem with the lack of personal responsibility.

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟827,888.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
"Blacks and the LGBTQ community were the most frequently targeted."

2015–2019 Hate Crimes: Average Rates of Violence Against Selected Groups.

I don't think you're understanding that statistic correctly. I believe that is the rate of violent hate crimes among all hate crimes against selected groups. What you're looking for is

Groups Targeted in Hate Crimes
Percentage of Total 2019

Black 24%
LGBT 19%
Jewish 18%
Mexican 9%
Transgender 8%
White 4%

Blacks and the LGBTQ community were the most frequently targeted

Upvote 0

dqhall

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2015
Florida
Visit site
✟766,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Suicides are more common than homicides.

90% of murder victims were killed by people they knew including acquaintances, family, friends, neighbors and coworkers.
Murder in the U.S.: victims by race/ethnicity and gender 2019 | Statista

Some whites moved out of black neighborhoods due to violence against whites. It was categorized as crime without the word hate being used to describe it.

• Agree
Reactions: Arc F1
Upvote 0

Arc F1

Site Supporter
Mar 14, 2020
Kentucky
✟146,863.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I don't think you're understanding that statistic correctly. I believe that is the rate of violent hate crimes among all hate crimes against selected groups. What you're looking for is

Groups Targeted in Hate Crimes
Percentage of Total 2019

Black 24%
LGBT 19%
Jewish 18%
Mexican 9%
Transgender 8%
White 4%

Blacks and the LGBTQ community were the most frequently targeted

Idk. I quoted it from the document link.

Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟436,676.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married

Your report says racial hate crimes decreased 9% from 2018 and 2019 and 2019 was the first year in 20 years that anti-black hate crimes weren't mostly committed by Latinos.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,258,168.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
US-Democrat
Something or someone has emboldened these people. I wonder who or what that could be?

The only skin color that's actually a problem is fake tan orange.

• Agree
Reactions: Innsmuthbride
Upvote 0