Feb 21, 2012
✟436,676.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
IRC the french officials stated this is the worst riot that the french have seen in 50 years.

I don't know what IRC means. I really care? International rasta club? Internal reactionary cult?

Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟556,867.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Ahhh...ok. I didn't read the Breitbart article for obvious reasons...but an article I read days ago said this was instigated by unions over working conditions/pay? Is that about right?

That's more or less my impression. I've seen a few different explanations, with the new fuel tax being described as either the main reason or merely the straw that broke the camel's back. AFAIK, it's rarely a single thing that causes something like this, so I would imagine that discontent has been building for a while. Also, I have no knowledge of the extent to which unions are involved.

Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟436,676.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
That's more or less my impression. I've seen a few different explanations, with the new fuel tax being described as either the main reason or merely the straw that broke the camel's back. AFAIK, it's rarely a single thing that causes something like this, so I would imagine that discontent has been building for a while. Also, I have no knowledge of the extent to which unions are involved.

My guess then is since it's a protest against low pay/high costs with rather clear goals...conservative sites are ho-hum about it less they reveal their attitudes are pro-oil companies and government and against the small time working class people.

Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
Wisconsin, United States of America
✟651,120.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Dark people riot, they hate the country. White people riot, its legit grievances against the govt.

Are "dark" people rioting there? Why are you trying to paint a contrast between "dark" and white people? Is skin color the obsession now?

Reactions: LostMarbels
Upvote 0

BigDaddy4

It's a new season...
Sep 4, 2008
Washington
✟219,419.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Are "dark" people rioting there? Why are you trying to paint a contrast between "dark" and white people? Is skin color the obsession now?
Maybe white people don't like higher taxes, but "dark" people do? :confused:

I think the OP title is misleading by including "white", perhaps intentionally.

Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟436,676.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
A bunch of people in France are protesting high taxes and myriad other government failings. Breitbart called it Paris' "worst riot in a decade". The Daily Mail calls it the worst in 50 years.

Yet... Breitbart's coverage is pretty mild and even-handed:
Search Breitbart - Breitbart

I only find a single mention of it on Rush's site (which includes transcripts of his show):
https://www.google.com/search?biw=1789&bih=937&tbs=qdr:w&ei=zZ8EXKe1EO3FjgShu4roCQ&q=paris+site:rushlimbaugh.com&oq=paris+site:rushlimbaugh.com&gs_l=psy-ab.3...2892.3422..4084...0.0..0.66.131.2......0....1..gws-wiz.-mh7E4lygUE

and none on his Twitter:
https://www.google.com/search?biw=1789&bih=937&tbs=qdr:m&ei=S6EEXM3zC4vujwSrzqjgDQ&q=paris+site:https://twitter.com/rushlimbaugh&oq=paris+site:https://twitter.com/rushlimbaugh&gs_l=psy-ab.3...45943.45943..46602...0.0..0.66.66.1......0....1j2..gws-wiz.OmXjCVxdVb4

And zero mentions on Hannity's site:
https://www.google.com/search?q=par...HZ2ILfAhUCtlkKHVk8BYwQpwUIJg&biw=1789&bih=937

or on his twitter account:
https://www.google.com/search?q=par...uf2oLfAhVroFkKHTitDooQpwUIJg&biw=1789&bih=937

Nothing on Laura Ingraham's site:
https://www.google.com/search?q=par...mA2oLfAhUM7oMKHRhLBasQpwUIJQ&biw=1789&bih=937

or her Twitter:
https://www.google.com/search?biw=1789&bih=937&tbs=qdr:m&ei=LaEEXObhB6GPjwSQ6qlI&q=paris+site:https://twitter.com/IngrahamAngle&oq=paris+site:https://twitter.com/IngrahamAngle&gs_l=psy-ab.3...28900.28900..29589...0.0..0.60.60.1......0....1j2..gws-wiz.fpRE0SecLA8

gosh, if this had been immigrants or some other flavor of brown person engaging in the worst rioting in decades...

So why include "white people" in the title?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟556,867.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟436,676.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Because I suspect that that's a factor in the right's tacit support of these protests.

Why? I read the Breitbart link...short, no mention of race. I read multiple paragraphs into the Rush transcript....until he rambles consistently about climate change....then I quit (so if there's mention of race somewhere please quote or give a general location to look within the article).

I didn't see any mention of race. The other sources you linked to...you claimed didn't mention the story....so I didn't look.

Why would you think race is a factor at all??? Don't you think it's possible that you're projecting?

Upvote 0

Mountainmanbob

Goat Whisperer
Site Supporter
Sep 6, 2016
✟1,096,353.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Seems that it's something to do with France wanting to convert to all electric cars and raising the price of gas. Hurting the middle class.

Sound familiar Obama's electric car deals with the car manufacturers are starting to bite us now. Probable reason for the closure of the GM plant?

M-Bob

• Agree
Upvote 0

cow451

Standing with Ukraine.
Site Supporter
May 29, 2012
Hot and Humid
✟1,120,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Sound familiar Obama's electric car deals with the car manufacturers are starting to bite us now. Probable reason for the closure of the GM plant?

M-Bob
Come on, that’s world class lame. Americans aren’t buying sedans. Ford is also adjusting. The modern Trucks and SUV’s are fuel efficient and ride like silk.

I dunno if the tariffs are a factor.

• Agree
Reactions: Sparagmos
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟556,867.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Why? I read the Breitbart link...short, no mention of race. I read multiple paragraphs into the Rush transcript....until he rambles consistently about climate change....then I quit (so if there's mention of race somewhere please quote or give a general location to look within the article).

I didn't see any mention of race. The other sources you linked to...you claimed didn't mention the story....so I didn't look.

yep

Why would you think race is a factor at all???

Because I've witnessed people on the right on numerous occasions get hysterical about non-white and/or non-native-born-citizens engaging in protests/riots much less severe than this. In some cases, (e.g. Ferguson & Baltimore) the protests were only somewhat less severe than Paris. In others (e.g. Kaepernick, Mizzou), they weren't even close. In others still (e.g. European "no-go zones"), people on the right just made up things to portray non-white non-native-citizens as dangerous.

When I look at the right's response to the Paris riots vs their response to these other situations, I wonder what about the situations are so different that they could elicit such a different response from the right. The big differences I see between Paris and the rest are that:

• The race/ethnicity of the Paris protesters is different (i.e. it's largely similar to that of the American right).
  • The politics of the protesters is different (i.e. the American right is largely sympathetic to anti-tax sentiment).
It's not so much that I think the right is being motivated by race regarding Paris. Rather, it's more that I think the right was motivated (at least in part) by race in all those other cases, and that motivation is not present here.

And to be clear - any time I say "race" in this thread, I'm using is as a sort of catch-all/shorthand for race, ethnicity, immigrant status, etc.

Don't you think it's possible that you're projecting?

Is it possible I'm wrong? Sure; anything's possible. I don't quite see how "projecting" would be applicable here, though.

Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟556,867.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Seems that it's something to do with France wanting to convert to all electric cars and raising the price of gas. Hurting the middle class.

M-Bob

Huh? I see Priuses everywhere, a lot of other hybrids all over the place and way more Tesla Model S's than anything else in its price range. There are a fair number of Model 3's around, too.

If the Big 3 haven't been able to compete in the electric car market, that's their own fault.

Upvote 0

SoldierOfTheKing

Christian Spenglerian
Jan 6, 2006
Kenmore, WA
✟278,166.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
What are the bases of the two things and in what ways do they differ?

I've explained that, but I'll be happy to elaborate. The banlieue riots in 2005 were apparently sparked from an incident where a few punks running from the police decided to hide in an electrical power station. This was a shocking act stupidity that produced about the result one would expect. The riots seemed to be attempt to intimidate the police, to make them afraid to operate the Arab neighborhoods. This incidentally, is what these "no go zones" are. Riots such as these are essentially acts of aggression on part of the Arab immigrants against the host population. Immigrants from that part of the world who have settled in Europe generally treat police as if they were the IDF.

These gilets jaunes riots, on the other hand, are about a heavy tax to be imposed by France's elites, the brunt of would fall on the middle class, and put a serious squeeze on a major part of the French people. These people are being abused in their own country by a political class that holds them in contempt, and backed into a corner, have chosen to fight back - and it seems they may have won, that their efforts produced constructive results.

Comparing these two events is like comparing a surgeon's scalpel to a soldier's bayonet just because they both cut open bodies. It ignores the fact that they serve two fundamentally different purposes. One has the aim of harming France, one has the aim of making France better.

• Informative
Reactions: Sparagmos
Upvote 0

USincognito

a post by Alan Smithee
Site Supporter
Dec 25, 2003
Dallas
✟870,771.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Huh? I see Priuses everywhere, a lot of other hybrids all over the place and way more Tesla Model S's than anything else in its price range. There are a fair number of Model 3's around, too.

If the Big 3 haven't been able to compete in the electric car market, that's their own fault.
Someone might remind. Bob of the rise and fall of the EV1.

Upvote 0