Redac

Jul 16, 2007
California
✟167,609.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
More likely less aggressive and violent.
Perhaps, though they were probably mostly carnivores (though there is some evidence that they ate cooked vegetables as well) and probably very effective predators in their environment. It's plausible that they were out-competed by Homo sapiens if not outright destroyed, but it's also plausible that their physiology and brain structure (and aforementioned lack of innovation) made it too difficult to adapt to the relatively rapid changes in the environment happening at the time.

My understanding is that in terms of cranial shape/brain size, that wouldn't have even been a terribly big issue. It would have actually had to do with a difference in how sounds were made. My memory is a bit fuzzy, but my understanding is that Neanderthals had a less developed layrnx than Homo Sapiens, as such it's unclear whether they would have had language--at least as we understand it. And language is really how we get from from A to B, language permits the conveying of really complex ideas, and thus, the ability to organize, and as it turned out, settle down, grow crops, breed animals, and make cities.

-CryptoLutheran

It's fairly clear that Neanderthals had language of some sort, though exactly how it would look structurally or sound is debatable. The kinds of tools and even structures they seem to have made are a little too complex to really be taught and reproduced without use of language. I think you're right that their larynx was less complex, and I think it may have been higher up the throat, so they probably had voices a little more high-pitched than humans do.

One could argue that language is such a key component of mental capacity that (and I'm speculating here) their relatively simple linguistic capabilities may have limited their ability to conceive of and implement new ideas. If I'm not mistaken one can see that over time during this period the tools Homo sapiens used became more complex over time, but Neanderthal tool-making remained relatively stagnant. How much this has to do with their linguistic capability is interesting to consider, and that sort of topic is an interesting debate had in the field of linguistics.

Upvote 0

grasping the after wind

That's grasping after the wind
Jan 18, 2010
Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The way yawl act I was thinking you were more akin to Homo erectus LOL.

Be careful that sounds quite risque. You never know what the moderators might find offensive.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

grasping the after wind

That's grasping after the wind
Jan 18, 2010
Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Can't tell if facetious or not.

Sure you can, just give it a little thought. Think about the word dumb in all its connotations and then think about the consensus of scientists that have expressed their opinions about the Neanderthal's lack certain vocal abilities. Once again the consensus of experts may be proven to be mistaken. You would think by now that we would start to question the reliability of the consensus of experts in matters that are so difficult to determine.

Upvote 0

mountaintop

Aug 10, 2012
✟15,221.00
Faith
Anabaptist
What present day cross breeding teaches us is that the off spring are not able to breed; that is, outside of a familiy line.

Actually only some hybrids, as they are called, are infertile or sterile. This is if the parent species have different chromosome amounts usually, and sometimes they are still fertile even if they do. Ex. you can cross cornsnake species back and forth and create hybrids with dozens of species and none of them will be infertile.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Eudaimonist

I believe in life before death!
Jan 1, 2003
American resident of Sweden
Visit site
✟119,206.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Jane_the_Bane

Gaia's godchild
Feb 11, 2004
✟168,333.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
UK-Greens
Based on the area the Neanderthals lived in and the time at which they disappeared, I'd wager an educated guess and suggest that they became extinct due to overspecialization. They had adapted as much as possible to the ice age, and could not survive under vastly different environmental conditions.

Upvote 0
S

SeventhValley

Most commentators are taking the OPs comments conclusively as though evolutionists did find a connection between white and neanderthal; what could be more comical than that.

They conclusively found that many Europeans,Arabs,Jews,Asians share DNA with Neanderthals.

Now as to why we share it the jury is still out. It could be interbreeding or genetic variation between cold weather adapted human groups and warmer weather adapted human groups.

When scientists discovered a few years ago that modern humans shared swaths of DNA with long-extinct Neanderthals, their best explanation was that at some point the two species must have interbred.

Now a study by scientists at the University of Cambridge has questioned this conclusion, hypothesising instead that the DNA overlap is a remnant of a common ancestor of both Neanderthals and modern humans.

When the genetic sequence of Homo neanderthalensis was published in 2010, one of the headline findings was that most people outside Africa could trace up to 4% of their DNA to Neanderthals. This was widely interpreted as an indication of interbreeding between Neanderthals and early Homo sapiens just as the latter were leaving Africa. The two species would have lived in the same regions around modern-day Europe, until Neanderthals died out about 30,000 years ago.

But Andrea Manica said the analysis had over-estimated the amount of shared DNA between Neanderthals and humans that could be explained by interbreeding. The analysis had not taken into account the genetic variation already present between different populations of the ancestors of modern humans in Africa.

"The idea is that our African ancestors would not have been a homogeneous, well-mixed population but made of several populations in Africa with some level of differentiation, in the way right now you can tell a northern and southern European from their looks. The mixing is not complete within continents."

Taking these population differences, known as "substructuring", into account for early humans living in Africa, Manica and his colleague Anders Eriksson worked out that modern humans and Neanderthals must have shared a common ancestor some 500,000 years ago and that the subsequent evolution of this species was enough to account for the DNA crossover.-http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2012/aug/14/study-doubt-human-neanderthal-interbreeding

Upvote 0

Jane_the_Bane

Gaia's godchild
Feb 11, 2004
✟168,333.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
UK-Greens
But they didn't become extinct. They are us, just like birds are dinosaurs. If the recent DNA conclusions are correct, that is.
No, that would be overstating the case.
Birds are direct descendants of certain dinosaur species, yet the Neanderthals are still a different branch on the genealogical tree - and one that disappeared a long time ago. We just retain *traces* of their DNA because some of them mated with our direct ancestors. That does not make us bona fide neanderthals, because their heritage has been watered down by countless generations of homo sapiens, making their link to us infinitesimally small and quite remote.

Which is a pity, really! I would have loved to see different sapient species flourish at the same time, in spite of our own tendency to kill and exterminate any competitor. (Just look what we've done to most larger predators...)

Upvote 0