White people are poor because of their culture

Bedford

May 10, 2013
✟13,490.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Let's be honest here...the threads about Paul Ryan's comment. It was just a test to see if those of us who supported Ryan's comment would speak about it in the same way if the topic was about white people in particular. (Which I have spoken about it the same way)

Let's be realistic here, this thread is about them southern mountain folk. The thread may have been born out of Ryan's comment but is not about Ryan's comment. It is about addressing the culture of poverty that keeps white people poor, which has nothing to do with welfare fraud. That is of course unless you believe that welfare fraud is perpetuating the culture of poverty with white poor people.

Why do you keep posting "them inner-city folk"? An attempt to make people sound like a southern racists perhaps?
Is that what a southern racist sounds like? Are you saying that if I post the word 'them' it is implying racism?

Upvote 0

NotreDame

Domer
Site Supporter
Jan 24, 2008
6 hours south of the Golden Dome of the University
✟511,642.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Technically speaking this is NOT a strawman argument. But you should know that.

Well when Paul Ryan cited CHARLES MURRAY he did kind of tip his hand.

But then, again, I will accept that Paul Ryan could have been totally ignorant of the "Bell Curve" controversy. It would be extremely poor form for a public speaker to be so ill-informed, but perhaps that is what is at play here.

So Paul Ryan is either wholly uninformed about the topics he cites or he's playing dog-whistle politics.

Thank you.

Technically speaking this is NOT a strawman argument. But you should know that.

Technically speaking you made a strawman argument. You espoused a position I never made.

Well when Paul Ryan cited CHARLES MURRAY he did kind of tip his hand.

This is fallacious reasoning. This rests on the assumption citing Charles Murray is done to convey a covert racist message. Yet, such a notion is non-sense. What your position ignores is the fact someone can cite to Charles Murray without conveying any racist message and without the intent, desire, and purpose to do so. The name "Charles Murray" is not some automatic qualifier for speaking in racism terms.

But then, again, I will accept that Paul Ryan could have been totally ignorant of the "Bell Curve" controversy.

The Bell Curve is a red herring, it is irrelevant and not germane to this dialogue.

So Paul Ryan is either wholly uninformed about the topics he cites or he's playing dog-whistle politics.

More fallacious reasoning, this one is known as the false dilemma fallacy. I have another option your false dilemma ignores, which is Paul Ryan is informed and wasn't "playing dog-whistle politics."

The position you espoused in this thread was inexorably destined for proper derision and failure because of your knee jerk, visceral reaction of alleging, hastily, racism. Perhaps next time you will ignore your innate default setting of assuming racism.

Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,206,095.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Is that what a southern racist sounds like? Are you saying that if I post the word 'them' it is implying racism?

I took it as you being satirical by pretending to speak the way you perceive your opposition speaking...

Much like some democrats (when in debate over big government vs small government) will taunt their opposition by making comments like "Don't worry, The gubmint isn't goin' to take yer money"

(Which I've seen several times on these forums actually)

It'd be no different than if the topic was legalization of marijuana, and a "anti" person replied back to the "pro" person by speaking the way a stereotypical hippie from the movies speaks.

Reactions: EdwinWillers
Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,206,095.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
That is of course unless you believe that welfare fraud is perpetuating the culture of poverty with white poor people.

I think misuse of the welfare system is perpetuating the culture of poverty in every family that misuses, regardless of race, location, etc...

Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,206,095.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Why do the innercity poor (and we all know that is a black demographic) tend to vote overwhelmingly D and the southern poor whites vote overwhelmingly R?

I don't think this is a valid comparison to even look at.

Most blacks voted D regardless of income or location...

Upvote 0
M

MikeCarra

Technically speaking you made a strawman argument. You espoused a position I never made.

AHEM, you should note that you are the one claiming that phrases that are commonly and historically used to refer to african americans can, in no way, be interpretted to refer to african americans in this special case. Apropos of nothing.

Indeed, Paul Ryan even went so far as to reference Charles Murray right before this comment.

This is a clear case of what his point was, unless you wish to explain how Paul Ryan would have no earthly idea about Charles Murray or the "BEll Curve" controversy.

This is fallacious reasoning. This rests on the assumption citing Charles Murray is done to convey a covert racist message.

Charles Murray is clearly a racially polarizing figure (at least for anyone over the age of 15 who heard about "The Bell Curve". As such when Paul Ryan calls out a person who is so WELL ASSOCIATED with racial politics and then follows it up with a phrase that has been historically and commonly used to reference minorities and african americans specifically I see a clear case for this to be a largely race-based comment.

Yet, such a notion is non-sense. What your position ignores is the fact someone can cite to Charles Murray without conveying any racist message and without the intent, desire, and purpose to do so.

This is true...if they didn't follow it up with a phrase that has historically and commonly been used to refer to african americans.

The name "Charles Murray" is not some automatic qualifier for speaking in racism terms.

Which is true....if it was not followed up with a phrase that has historically and commonly been used to refer to african americans.

Again, if Paul Ryan is too stupid to understand the weight certain phrases carry then that's fine! Paul Ryan is amazingly ignorant. I choose not to assume Paul is a moron. I choose to assume Paul knew what just about every other American knows when talking about "inner city poverty".

Paul is not a stupid guy. As such if indeed he wasn't playing dog whistle politics with the GOP/Tea Party base then he would have taken a more nuanced stance and NOT limited his comment to just the inner cities.

Of course anyone who is not being disingenuous about language will understand WHY he limited it to "inner cities".

The Bell Curve is a red herring, it is irrelevant and not germane to this dialogue.

If Paul Ryan were to have simply said "bell curve" in a sentence, then you would be correct. But indeed Paul Ryan DIDN'T just limit his language.

One must take all the words TOGETHER as a whole. So when Paul follows this up with a phrase historically and commonly used to refer to african americans a much stronger case for subtle but real racism exists in the comment.

More fallacious reasoning, this one is known as the false dilemma fallacy. I have another option your false dilemma ignores, which is Paul Ryan is informed and wasn't "playing dog-whistle politics."

Well, I guess if you are totally invested in the GOP being pure of heart and lilly white (pun intended) in terms of motive then I guess you can ignore EVERYTHING they say in terms of what the words mean and rely only on your wish as to what they mean.

The position you espoused in this thread was inexorably destined for proper derision and failure because of your knee jerk, visceral reaction of alleging, hastily, racism. Perhaps next time you will ignore your innate default setting of assuming racism.

Can you help me a bit? I'd like to know how many racist comments a politican can make BEFORE I assume racism? Does Paul have to cite the Grand Dragon of the KKK and use the n-word in series before I can assume racism? Or does he have to lynch an african american before I assume racism?

I'm not saying Paul Ryan is a "David Duke" by any stretch of the imagination. And let's assume for a minute that Paul Ryan is simply too stupid to hold public office and he accidentally built a near perfect "racist comment". I assume that you will also think that virtually NO ONE in the Conservative movement in the US automatically thought "black people".

I don't know where you grew up but it looks like you went to Notre Dame in Indiana, so you know what quiet midwestern racism looks like. I grew up with it in Illinois. It's there, it's real. It's not overt, it's not big and bold and outward. But it's there.

So either Paul Ryan is the political equivalent to a racist "Forrest Gump" who just accidentally wound up with a racist comment crawling out of his mouth (which means he's a moron...highly unlikely) or he was playing dog whistle politics.

Words have meaning...even sub rosa meanings and politicians know this better than anyone.

To assume otherwise is to be willfully ignorant or disingenuous.

Reactions: stamperben
Upvote 0

Bedford

May 10, 2013
✟13,490.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
I took it as you being satirical by pretending to speak the way you perceive your opposition speaking...

Much like some democrats (when in debate over big government vs small government) will taunt their opposition by making comments like "Don't worry, The gubmint isn't goin' to take yer money"

(Which I've seen several times on these forums actually)

It'd be no different than if the topic was legalization of marijuana, and a "anti" person replied back to the "pro" person by speaking the way a stereotypical hippie from the movies speaks.

Hey man, I don't get your meaning, man. Your words are too far out, man....

peace, love, and Bobby Sherman

;)

Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,206,095.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
The comparison is the poverty.

However, if just comparing poverty is the goal, then comparing poverty in conjunction with race isn't going to get you an accurate read since there's already a high percentage of blacks that vote democrat regardless of income status.

96% of Blacks (across the board) voted democrat.

It'd be like knowing that 90% of evangelicals oppose abortion, then asking a question like "Why do evangelicals who drive red cars oppose abortion more than atheists who drive red cars?"

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,206,095.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Then by all means WRITE TO PAUL RYAN so he can mobilize his "mentor force" to the Rural South and Appalachia as well!

I'm sure it'd be his goal to address the entire problem...

However, as I mentioned before, logistics based on location and concentration come into play.

It's like my example from before, if you were running a company, and there were 1,000 employees you suspected of skimming money or misusing company funds...

To prove this and rectify the issue, a company investigation is required to look into all of the details.

400 of them all work in the home office headquarters in the same building
600 of them work remotely from 150 different locations spanning the nation.

If your goal is to make an impact on the bottom line and address as much of the problem in one fell swoop as you can...where are you going to start?

Upvote 0

stamperben

It's an old family tradition
Oct 16, 2011
✟53,694.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
Here's an excellent article.
Paul Ryan’s culture attack is an excuse to do nothing about poverty
Blaming poverty on the mysterious influence of “culture” is a convenient excuse for doing nothing to address the problem.

That’s the real issue with what Rep. Paul Ryan (R-Wis.) said about distressed inner-city communities. Critics who accuse him of racism are missing the point. What he’s really guilty of is providing a reason for government to throw up its hands in mock helplessness.

The fundamental problem that poor people have, whether they live in decaying urban neighborhoods or depressed Appalachian valleys or small towns of the Deep South, is not enough money.

Alleviating stubborn poverty is difficult and expensive. Direct government aid — money, food stamps, Medicaid, housing assistance and the like — is not enough. Poor people need employment that offers a brighter future for themselves and their children. Which means they need job skills. Which means they need education. Which means they need good schools and safe streets.

The list of needs is dauntingly long, and it’s hard to know where to start — or where the money for all the needed interventions will come from. It’s much easier to say that culture is ultimately to blame. But since there’s no step-by-step procedure for changing a culture, we end up not doing anything.

Emphasis added.

Upvote 0

NotreDame

Domer
Site Supporter
Jan 24, 2008
6 hours south of the Golden Dome of the University
✟511,642.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

AHEM, you should note that you are the one claiming that phrases that are commonly and historically used to refer to african americans can, in no way, be interpretted to refer to african americans in this special case. Apropos of nothing.

AHEM!! This is not my position, has never been my position, and ergo, is a strawman argument you have made.

Furthermore, it has not been demonstrated the words "inner-city" and "poor" used in conjunction are "commonly and historically" references to blacks.

Indeed, Paul Ryan even went so far as to reference Charles Murray right before this comment.

Which means absolutely freaking nothing, unless we make the untenable assumption, as you do, that the name "Charles Murray" is code for racist language. However, it is a rather ridiculous proposition that the name "Charles Murray" is code for racist language.

This is a clear case of what his point was, unless you wish to explain how Paul Ryan would have no earthly idea about Charles Murray or the "BEll Curve" controversy.

No, this is a "clear case" of you personally attributing a racist meaning or racist assoiciation to the name "Charles Murray" and then imposing your meaning or association onto other people. This is a clear case of you personally looking for "code words" you personally associate with racist language and upon finding them alleging, on the basis of your own personal word associations, attribute a covert racist message to Paul Ryan.

Otherwise, there has not been presented any "clear case" of Paul Ryan referring to blacks.

Charles Murray is clearly a racially polarizing figure (at least for anyone over the age of 15 who heard about "The Bell Curve".

More speculative non-sense. Your posts are inundanted with speculation, guesses, of what is clear to other people or to society. You do not have, at this moment, the slightest freaking clue of how people over 15 perceive Charles Murray. You are just pawning off your speculation and guessing of how people over 15 perceive Charles Murray as fact.

As such when Paul Ryan calls out a person who is so WELL ASSOCIATED with racial politics and then follows it up with a phrase that has been historically and commonly used to reference minorities and african americans specifically I see a clear case for this to be a largely race-based comment.

It hasn't been established Murray is "well associated with racial politics," another factual assertion by you with no facts to support it. Neither has it been shown that the words "inner-city" and "poor" are "commonly used to reference minorities and African Americans". There are no facts to support either factual assertion. You are skilled at making factual assertions without having any facts to support them.

What your position ignores, once again, is perhaps someone is capable of citing Charles Murray without making a racist comment. Yes, it is true someone can refer to Charles Murray, even if he is a racist, without making a racist comment.

historically and commonly

What is "historically and commonly" is your repeated use of both words with no facts in support for your position. None. There are no facts to show either has been "historically" or "commonly" used in the manner you attribute to them.

Again, if Paul Ryan is too stupid to understand the weight certain phrases carry then that's fine!

Nice ad hominem. I have an alternate suggestion. Quite simply, Paul Ryan does not attribute the same meaning to the words "inner city" and "poor" as you do. Or maybe your unsupported claim both words have "historically and commonly" been used to refer to Blacks is false!

I choose to assume Paul knew what just about every other American knows when talking about "inner city poverty".

Correction, you choose to guess and speculate "what just about every other American knows when talking about "inner city poverty" and impose your speculation and guessing game into this thread and into the dialogue. Save your speculation and guessing game for the kiddos at home.

Can you help me a bit? I'd like to know how many racist comments a politican can make BEFORE I assume racism?

This isn't the issue. The issue is how can you, or any of us, attribute racism to a remark which is not textually or literally racist? For you, the answer is rather easy. For you, you just pull out your diary entitled "Code Words For Racist Speak." Then, you look through your diary for the words used, for words you have placed in your diary and you have summarily declared to be "code for racist speak." Once you find those "code words" you attribute to "racist speak" you then declare the speaker was covertly making a racist message. Then, in an attempt to reinforce your unmitigated baloney, you speculate and guess as to what is common knowledge about those code words, in other words you declare the code words you look for are code words most people look for and understand them to mean. Then, for kicks, you throw in the words "commonly" and "historically" without any evidence for either one.

That is your approach and has been your approach in this thread. It is an illogical and irrational approach to analyze Paul Ryan's speech.

I don't know where you grew up but it looks like you went to Notre Dame in Indiana, so you know what quiet midwestern racism looks like.

Par for the course! You speculate what most people know, you speculate as to what is common knowledge, you allege historical facts, you claim something is "common," and here you presume to know something about my life regarding racism. You do not have one freaking clue whether or not I know what "quiet midwestern racism looks like" as opposed to blatant and explicit racism. This is your problem. You presume too much! You have presumed too much about Ryan's speech, you presume too much about what American society knows, what is common and historical, and what I know. You can remedy your own dilemma by not presuming!

This is your problem. Thanks for validating my point! Thank you so much! You begin by ASSUMING. Your default setting is to ASSUME racism on the basis of, well, the junk reasoning you have espoused in this thread. You ASSUME racism on the basis of, well, absolutely nothing substantive. This is your problem time and time again in this thread. It's no wonder you can't have a dialogue on the issue of inner city poverty because nobody can get past your default setting of ASSUMING racism.

Upvote 0

Joykins

free Crazy Liz!
Jul 14, 2005
Down in Mary's Land
✟29,390.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I'm sure it'd be his goal to address the entire problem...

However, as I mentioned before, logistics based on location and concentration come into play.

It's like my example from before, if you were running a company, and there were 1,000 employees you suspected of skimming money or misusing company funds...

To prove this and rectify the issue, a company investigation is required to look into all of the details.

400 of them all work in the home office headquarters in the same building
600 of them work remotely from 150 different locations spanning the nation.

If your goal is to make an impact on the bottom line and address as much of the problem in one fell swoop as you can...where are you going to start?

This attitude certainly makes me think that if I want to perform welfare fraud and get away with it, all I need do is move a few counties west where the people are white.

Upvote 0

PreachersWife2004

by his wounds we are healed
Site Supporter
May 15, 2007
Land O' 10,000 Lakes
✟84,030.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
M

MikeCarra

Furthermore, it has not been demonstrated the words "inner-city" and "poor" used in conjunction are "commonly and historically" references to blacks.

LOL. Sorry. I don't know if I can take you seriously anymore.

Which means absolutely freaking nothing, unless we make the untenable assumption, as you do, that the name "Charles Murray" is code for racist language.

Well Charles Murray has his own page on the Southern Poverty Law Center. Right --> HERE<--

Here's what they say about him:

SPLC said:
Charles Murray, a fellow at the American Enterprise Institute, has become one of the most influential social scientists in America, using racist pseudoscience and misleading statistics to argue that social inequality is caused by the genetic inferiority of the black and Latino communities, women and the poor. According to Murray, disadvantaged groups are disadvantaged because, on average, they cannot compete with white men, who are intellectually, psychologically and morally superior. Murray advocates the total elimination of the welfare state, affirmative action and the Department of Education, arguing that public policy cannot overcome the innate deficiencies that cause unequal social and educational outcomes.

Now as for what Charles Murray himself says how 'bout these gems:

“Try to imagine a … presidential candidate saying in front of the cameras, ‘One reason that we still have poverty in the United States is that a lot of poor people are born lazy.’ You cannot imagine it because that kind of thing cannot be said. And yet this unimaginable statement merely implies that when we know the complete genetic story, it will turn out that the population below the poverty line in the United States has a configuration of the relevant genetic makeup that is significantly different from the configuration of the population above the poverty line. This is not unimaginable. It is almost certainly true.”
—“Deeper Into the Brain,” National Review, 2000

“The professional consensus is that the United States has experienced dysgenic pressures throughout either most of the century (the optimists) or all of the century (the pessimists). Women of all races and ethnic groups follow this pattern in similar fashion. There is some evidence that blacks and Latinos are experiencing even more severe dysgenic pressures than whites, which could lead to further divergence between whites and other groups in future generations.”
—The Bell Curve, 1994

LOL. I'd say that citing Charles Murray as a preface to a later point carries a LOT of freight with it.

However, it is a rather ridiculous proposition that the name "Charles Murray" is code for racist language.

Well, perhaps you weren't paying attention when the Bell Curve was making a lot of waves. You can google it some time.

No, this is a "clear case" of you personally attributing a racist meaning or racist assoiciation to the name "Charles Murray"

An attribution made rather clearly in the cited link above. In addition, I recall the discussions around the book "The Bell Curve".

If you don't, by all means google it.

and then imposing your meaning or association onto other people.

Did I make the Southern Poverty Law Center write that about Dr. Murray???

This is a clear case of you personally looking for "code words" you personally associate with racist language

Or having a long term memory going back 20 years.

But look, I'm not the one talking about "dysgenic pressures" being worse for minorities like Dr. Murray did.

(Go ahead and google "dysgenic" if you like).

and upon finding them alleging, on the basis of your own personal word associations, attribute a covert racist message to Paul Ryan.

Well clearly Paul Ryan self-associates with the writings of Dr. Murray.

I didn't make Paul say it.

Otherwise, there has not been presented any "clear case" of Paul Ryan referring to blacks.

Of course not! ;)

More speculative non-sense. Your posts are inundanted with speculation, guesses

Well, you are correct there. I am making guesses. INFORMED guesses based on the verbiage Mr. Ryan used and his own self-association with the writings of a racist researcher.

I'm doing what anyone who isn't being willfully blind would do. I'm not making excuses for Mr. Ryan. I don't have to.

, of what is clear to other people or to society. You do not have, at this moment, the slightest freaking clue of how people over 15 perceive Charles Murray. You are just pawning off your speculation and guessing of how people over 15 perceive Charles Murray as fact.

Again, I can remember 1994. Maybe you can't? And I can read. And the SLPC would seem to find more to be concerned about Dr. Murray than you do.

That is your prerogative, but it sure does seem like you are having to make LOTS of excuses for more and more people.

It hasn't been established Murray is "well associated with racial politics," another factual assertion by you with no facts to support it.

You are technically incorrect. I have now given the SLPC link twice. I presented facts which were available for any and all to read.

In addition HISTORY (a la 1994-1995) are there for anyone who was awake during that time.

Neither has it been shown that the words "inner-city" and "poor" are "commonly used to reference minorities and African Americans".

Ooopsy! You are again in error: at no point have I said "poor" was synonymous with african americans.

Your bad!

There are no facts to support either factual assertion. You are skilled at making factual assertions without having any facts to support them.

To be fair, I provided facts. You simply chose to ignore them.

What your position ignores, once again, is perhaps someone is capable of citing Charles Murray without making a racist comment. Yes, it is true someone can refer to Charles Murray, even if he is a racist, without making a racist comment.

Well, when one makes a comment about poverty and social ills and associates the comments with Dr. Murray that makes it far more likely to be a racist statement precisely because that has been the focus of Dr. Murray's research in the Bell Curve and other writings.

What is "historically and commonly" is your repeated use of both words with no facts in support for your position.

You aren't American? You have never heard that?

So what do you think the phrase "White Flight" meant?

Do you think it was driving of snow from the inner cities???

LOL. Your position is hilariously pedantic. But you keep on with it! Good for you!

None. There are no facts to show either has been "historically" or "commonly" used in the manner you attribute to them.

As loathe as I am to cite Wikipedia I will help you (because you are clearly new to the US and have never heard this phrase before):

The inner city is the central area of a major city or metropolis. In the United States, Canada, the United Kingdom, and Ireland, the term is often a euphemism applied to the lower-income residential districts in the city centre and nearby areas. In the United States, the term has the additional connotation of impoverished black and/or Hispanic neighborhoods.
The peculiar American sociological usage is rooted in the middle 20th century. When automobiles became affordable in the United States and forced busing ensued, many middle and high-income residents, who were mostly white, moved to suburbs to have larger lots and houses, and a lower crime rate.

(I've outlined in RED the key points you may have never heard before. It is quite common parlance in the US.

(Oh, btw, welcome to America! Are you on a green card?)

Nice ad hominem.

Not an ad hominem since I'm not leveraging simply attacking Mr. Ryan because of who he is rather than the content of his comment. It is further not an ad hominem since my POINT was to provide you with an alternative (in fact about the only alternative I can imagine) for why a PUBLIC SPEAKER addressing the US AUDIENCE would fail to realize his phrases were freighted with racist overtones.

I'm more than willing to accept that Paul Ryan knows less than a 5th grader when talking in public if that is what you want for him. But in reality I doubt that very highly.

I have an alternate suggestion. Quite simply, Paul Ryan does not attribute the same meaning to the words "inner city" and "poor" as you do.

To be fair, he would then not be attributing a rather common meaning to the phrase over the last 50-60 years of US history.

But again, if Paul is that ill-adept at public speaking then you can have it your way. I assumed he was smarter than that (considering WE ALL PAID for his college education, him being a recipient of social security money).

Or maybe your unsupported claim both words have "historically and commonly" been used to refer to Blacks is false!

Welcome to America! You'll enjoy it here. But you'll have to learn the language first! :)

Par for the course! You speculate what most people know, you speculate as to what is common knowledge, you allege historical facts, you claim something is "common," and here you presume to know something about my life regarding racism.

So what do you think the associated term "White Flight" meant?

Upvote 0

Joykins

free Crazy Liz!
Jul 14, 2005
Down in Mary's Land
✟29,390.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,206,095.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
This attitude certainly makes me think that if I want to perform welfare fraud and get away with it, all I need do is move a few counties west where the people are white.

Has nothing to do with being white (not sure why you threw that part in there...well I suspect I know why...but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt)

Your statement should have read "...and get away with it, all I need to do is move a few counties west where it's more sparsely populated and there is a lower concentration of people"

Same is true of any crime though when you think about it...

If you're dealing drugs in the middle of a major city, your chances are much greater in drawing negative attention and getting caught by the DEA than they would be if you did it in a rural area of Idaho where there are fewer people, and the people are vastly spread out.

...and that doesn't even have to be for major crimes...look at the simple petty crime of speeding. If you get a new sports car and you want to test out that speedometer without running too much of a risk of getting caught...do you hot rod it up a major interstate through a major city?...or do you take it out to a country road where there's not a lot of traffic? (not that I have ever done such a thing ;))

Upvote 0

Joykins

free Crazy Liz!
Jul 14, 2005
Down in Mary's Land
✟29,390.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Has nothing to do with being white (not sure why you threw that part in there...well I suspect I know why...but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt)

Because it's Appalachia, that's why.

Your statement should have read "...and get away with it, all I need to do is move a few counties west where it's more sparsely populated and there is a lower concentration of people"

Same is true of any crime though when you think about it...

If you're dealing drugs in the middle of a major city, your chances are much greater in drawing negative attention and getting caught by the DEA than they would be if you did it in a rural area of Idaho where there are fewer people, and the people are vastly spread out.

...and that doesn't even have to be for major crimes...look at the simple petty crime of speeding. If you get a new sports car and you want to test out that speedometer without running too much of a risk of getting caught...do you hot rod it up a major interstate through a major city?...or do you take it out to a country road where there's not a lot of traffic? (not that I have ever done such a thing ;))

If you don't fit in with your surroundings, including the kinds of people around you, you stand out more. That's true in rural areas as well, assuming they're not so sparsely populated that one assumes no one at all lives there.

Upvote 0