Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
The Trump administration abruptly cut off funding for a project studying how coronaviruses spread from bats to people after reports linked the work to a lab in Wuhan, China, at the center of conspiracy theories about the Covid-19 pandemic’s origins.

The National Institutes of Health on Friday told EcoHealth Alliance, the study’s sponsor for the past five years, that all future funding was cut. The agency also demanded that the New York-based research nonprofit stop spending the $369,819 remaining from its 2020 grant, according to emails obtained by POLITICO.
Meanwhile, the NIH’s strategic plan for studying the novel coronavirus, released Thursday, lays out four key priorities — including understanding its origin and transmission, in line with the EcoHealth alliance’s broader investigation of bat coronaviruses. The agency did not respond to a request for comment on its decision to terminate the group’s funding.

In a statement, the EcoHealth Alliance said it wanted to know more about the NIH's reasoning. “For the past 20 years our organization has been investigating the sources of emerging diseases such as COVID-19,” the group said. “We work in the United States and in over 25 countries with institutions that have been pre-approved by federal funding agencies to do scientific research critical to preventing pandemics. We are planning to talk with NIH to understand the rationale behind their decision.”

Suddenly ending a grant early is an unusual move for the NIH, which typically takes such steps only when there is evidence of scientific misconduct or financial improprieties — neither of which it has alleged took place in this case.

The EcoHealth Alliance has received more than $3.7 million since 2015 for its research on the risks of coronavirus spread through bats and the potential for spillover into humans. The effort has produced at least 20 scientific papers, including several published in prominent journals such as Nature.
Trump cuts U.S. research on bat-human virus transmission over China ties

Upvote 0

disciple Clint

Mar 26, 2018
Pacific Northwest
✟208,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I'm sure we'd all like to hear why Trump thought it was a good idea to shut down research on coronaviruses. What do you have?
Did anyone ask him or did they just publish it with the implications that it must be wrong because Trump did it.

Upvote 0

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟367,873.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
What evidence is there that this research would have been meaningful at all?

Yeah, who needs to learn any more about corona viruses? It's not like it poses any threat to us.

Upvote 0

Redwingfan9

Jul 23, 2019
Midwest
✟70,636.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Yeah, who needs to learn any more about corona viruses? It's not like it poses any threat to us.
Your emotional response does not answer the question. What evidence is there that this research was relevant, cost effective or even remotely related to the current hyped up pandemic? What evidence is there that this research was beneficial? What evidence is there that but for the administration cutting funding the research would have stopped the pandemic or significantly reduced the pandemic?

These are reasonable questions to ask regarding this story. Rather than have emotional responses to news stories everyone should ask questions instead.

Upvote 0

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟367,873.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian

Your emotional response

Normally, we call it "sarcasm." While I did find it funny in a grim sort of way, it's mostly an observation of the massive foolishness involved with turning a blind eye to what is a very serious threat.

What evidence is there that this research was relevant, cost effective or even remotely related to the current hyped up pandemic?

I guess, if you think (Barbarian checks) 128,000 Americans dead is "hyped up", we've located your issue. Your emotional denial of this serious epidemic seems to be the primary issue.

And yes, given the fact that we were able to use past research to confirm the source of the outbreak to bats, most likely transmitted to humans via pangolins illegaly sold at a Wuhan market. That's useful particularly to keep alert to future possible outbreaks.

Upvote 0

Redwingfan9

Jul 23, 2019
Midwest
✟70,636.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married

Normally, we call it "sarcasm." While I did find it funny in a grim sort of way, it's mostly an observation of the massive foolishness involved with turning a blind eye to what is a very serious threat.

I guess, if you think (Barbarian checks) 128,000 Americans dead is "hyped up", we've located your issue. Your emotional denial of this serious epidemic seems to be the primary issue.

And yes, given the fact that we were able to use past research to confirm the source of the outbreak to bats, most likely transmitted to humans via pangolins illegaly sold at a Wuhan market. That's useful particularly to keep alert to future possible outbreaks.
Again, you've provided no evidence that the research in question would have been beneficial at all. You don't even know what the research actually was. All you see is Coronavirus, bats and Trump cuts funding and you jump to conclusions without asking any questions.

Upvote 0

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟367,873.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Again, you've provided no evidence that the research in question would have been beneficial at all.

I just showed you that the research showed us where the pandemic originated. Seems like good, usable information to me.

Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory
Evidence of recombination in coronaviruses implicating pangolin origins of nCoV-2019

Matthew C. Wong, Sara J. Javornik Cregeen, Nadim J. Ajami, Joseph F. Petrosino

SUMMARY
A novel coronavirus (nCoV-2019) was the cause of an outbreak of respiratory illness detected in Wuhan, Hubei Province, China in December of 2019. Genomic analyses of nCoV-2019 determined a 96% resemblance with a coronavirus isolated from a bat in 2013 (RaTG13); however, the receptor binding motif (RBM) of these two genomes share low sequence similarity. This divergence suggests a possible alternative source for the RBM coding sequence in nCoV-2019. We identified high sequence similarity in the RBM between nCoV-2019 and a coronavirus genome reconstructed from a viral metagenomic dataset from pangolins possibly indicating a more complex origin for nCoV-2019.

Paper in collection COVID-19 SARS-CoV-2 preprints from medRxiv and bioRxiv

There's a lot more. Would you like to see more? You have no idea what the research is, you merely reacted against such research because it doesn't support your denials.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Redwingfan9

Jul 23, 2019
Midwest
✟70,636.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
I just showed you that the research showed us where the pandemic originated. Seems like good, usable information to me.

You have no idea what the research is, you merely reacted against such research because it doesn't support your denials.
No, I asked questions. I have no idea what the research is or whether it would be beneficial. I want to know more about it before passing judgment.

I don't think we need research to know it came from Wuhan. There is conflicting information about whether it came from a lab that was doing tests on bats or from the wet market in Wuhan. I'm not really sure it's relevant which position is correct.

Upvote 0

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟367,873.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
No, I asked questions. I have no idea what the research is or whether it would be beneficial. I want to know more about it before passing judgment.

I don't think we need research to know it came from Wuhan. There is conflicting information about whether it came from a lab that was doing tests on bats or from the wet market in Wuhan. I'm not really sure it's relevant which position is correct.

Cold Spring Harbor is an American lab. But they had researchers in China actually getting data and testing. Would you like more details?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟367,873.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Full text links
https:--linkinghub.elsevier.com-ihub-images-cellhub.gif

. 2020 Apr 6;30(7):1346-1351
Probable Pangolin Origin of SARS-CoV-2 Associated With the COVID-19 Outbreak
Tao Zhang 1 , Qunfu Wu 1 , Zhigang Zhang 2

gr1_lrg.jpg

It seems that chance would be highly unlikely to produce the same genetic information that level.

Upvote 0

Redwingfan9

Jul 23, 2019
Midwest
✟70,636.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

jgarden

Senior Veteran
Jan 1, 2004
✟106,405.00
Faith
Methodist
just more propaganda, blame Trump what ever looks wrong or maybe could be wrong, dont do a serious job of checking out the facts just write a story that blames Trump.
The silence of the supporters of this President is deafening when it comes to them questioning his right to criticize others - some of them children!

Their assertions that Trump is being treated unfairly falls right into his narcissistic narrative where he repeatedly portrays himself as the innocent victim!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

disciple Clint

Mar 26, 2018
Pacific Northwest
✟208,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
The silence of the supporters of this President is deafening when it comes to them questioning his right to criticize others - some of them children!

Their assertions that Trump is being treated unfairly falls right into his narcissistic narrative where he repeatedly portrays himself as the innocent victim!
No it falls right in line with 3 years of lies told by the msm about the Russia hoax and other false stories base on nothing but rumor. When the medial repeatably lies about someone and twists what they say at every opportunity and provides over 90 percent negative coverage and fails to report on the positive thing done by the individual, then people who value the truth and fairness speak out.

Upvote 0

tulc

loves "SO'S YER MOM!! posts!
May 18, 2002
✟271,570.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
No it falls right in line with 3 years of lies told by the msm about the Russia hoax and other false stories base on nothing but rumor. When the medial repeatably lies about someone and twists what they say at every opportunity and provides over 90 percent negative coverage and fails to report on the positive thing done by the individual, then people who value the truth and fairness speak out.
...but when that same man tells lies all the time that's okay? :scratch:
tulc(is just wondering)

• Winner
Reactions: The Barbarian
Upvote 0

disciple Clint

Mar 26, 2018
Pacific Northwest
✟208,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
...but when that same man tells lies all the time that's okay? :scratch:
tulc(is just wondering)
Guess who told you that he lies all the time. Guess who is keeping score and deciding what is a lie and what is just an exaggeration? Guess who did not hold the last administration to that same standard.

Upvote 0

tulc

loves "SO'S YER MOM!! posts!
May 18, 2002
✟271,570.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Guess who told you that he lies all the time.
the same people who posted links to show why what he said was a lie. :wave:

Guess who is keeping score and deciding what is a lie and what is just an exaggeration?
I generally let reality and actual facts determine that. And they show he's lying about somethings, what he's says about other things is false and often he's just plain wrong, it's really pretty easy to tell which is which. :)

Guess who did not hold the last administration to that same standard.
Reality and the facts did hold the last administration to the same standard, it's just this administration feels picked on when people point out their lies. :sorry:
tulc(is almost out of coffee going to need more soon) :coffee:

Upvote 0