White guys don’t take the loss of power well, do they?

777Sloan

It's Okay To Be White
Site Supporter
Jun 2, 2016
United States
✟49,611.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
pitts

『For most of the 242 years of our national life, one thing has always been predictable as a children’s movie and dependable as the floor beneath your feet. White men will always be represented in, and in fact, will dominate, any room where power and authority are wielded.

But the times, they are a’changing. Women, people of color, religious minorities and others have slowly forced their way into those rooms. Additionally, there is the demographic fact that white preponderance — and, thus, unchallenged white prerogative — are shrinking.

If many fair-minded white Americans embrace this or at least accept it, many others regard it with a panic that can only be called apocalyptic. That, more than any other single factor, explains what happened in November of 2016.

It explains the defiantly monochromatic nature of Trump’s White House that, in group photos, could easily be mistaken for Eisenhower’s. And it explains the indignation of Johnson’s source.

Unfortunately for that person, and notwithstanding the angry aberration of Trump, the coming demographic shift will not be gainsaid or denied. Nor will people who have made their way into those rooms quietly submit to eviction. At some point, if only for their own political survival, those who are threatened by all this will have to quit denying it. They will have to deal with it.』

Reactions: JackRT

nonaeroterraqueous

Nonexistent Member
Aug 16, 2014
✟188,987.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
That, more than any other single factor, explains what happened in November of 2016.

I don't think you have a clue why Trump got elected if you're blaming it on race. The same populace that voted for one voted for the other. Did you think Obama got all the way through his second term before people suddenly noticed the color of his skin? Gee...now what happened in the middle of Obama's second term...? Oh, I know! That's when he got his race-change operation and became black! That's why the country reeled reflexively and voted for Trump! Now it all makes sense.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Trump got elected because he was smarter, and more compelling than Hillary, at least at running a presidential campaign.

Upvote 0

Rescued One

...yet not I, but the grace of God that is with me
Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟79,881.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
It has nothing to do with skin color, but everything to do with what children are taught. I'm a white republican who despises racism. My late husband and I were raised with no racial prejudice. I was embarrassed by the way some whites treated black people when I went to segregated schools.

Upvote 0

Kenny'sID

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,394.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

And they can't jump either...can they?

Or can they? As I understand it the white guys aren't sitting still for that any longer, they can jump and they always could. They are now speaking out, and will no longer put up with being held down by those who have for years told them they cannot jump.

We are told something for long enough, we become that, some actually came to believe they could not jump, but enough is enough! no more! They will fight until the world cries... Go ahead and Jump!

• Haha
Reactions: citizenthom
Upvote 0

Creech

Senior Veteran
Apr 7, 2012
New York
✟15,556.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Although I strongly disagree with the articles author in terms of conclusions, I do agree that race/identity issues drove a gigantic part of Trump's rise, although he has certainly failed to live up to most of his promises that reflected the racial/identity issues. Many white Americans are not tired of simply "losing power," but they are tired of where minorities (who usually deserve it far less) receive special treatment, while Whites and Christians are both put down and culturally undermined.

I think it is very foolish to NOT see illegal immigration/the wall as a racial issue, as was the proposed Muslim ban.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

High Fidelity

Site Supporter
Feb 9, 2014
✟904,775.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
Another example of this is how so many Christians feel persecuted when in reality they've been privileged for so long that a level playing field feels like persecution.

As far as being a white male is concerned, I have absolutely no problem sharing power with anyone else based on race, religion or gender; what I do take fault with is quotas or reverse-discrimination whereby qualified individuals are unsuccessful because they are male or white. Would I like to see more women in boardrooms? I honestly don't care so long as the people in there are there by merit and are qualified and capable of the job they've been employed to execute, but don't disqualify a more qualified man or woman based on their gender or race being unsuitable for the PR diversity shot they'd love to promote.

• Agree
Reactions: JCFantasy23
Upvote 0

Larniavc

Leading a blameless life
Jul 14, 2015
✟314,959.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
pitts

『For most of the 242 years of our national life, one thing has always been predictable as a children’s movie and dependable as the floor beneath your feet. White men will always be represented in, and in fact, will dominate, any room where power and authority are wielded.

But the times, they are a’changing. Women, people of color, religious minorities and others have slowly forced their way into those rooms. Additionally, there is the demographic fact that white preponderance — and, thus, unchallenged white prerogative — are shrinking.

If many fair-minded white Americans embrace this or at least accept it, many others regard it with a panic that can only be called apocalyptic. That, more than any other single factor, explains what happened in November of 2016.

It explains the defiantly monochromatic nature of Trump’s White House that, in group photos, could easily be mistaken for Eisenhower’s. And it explains the indignation of Johnson’s source.

Unfortunately for that person, and notwithstanding the angry aberration of Trump, the coming demographic shift will not be gainsaid or denied. Nor will people who have made their way into those rooms quietly submit to eviction. At some point, if only for their own political survival, those who are threatened by all this will have to quit denying it. They will have to deal with it.』

To be fair, no group used to experiencing power wants that to change.

• Agree
Reactions: High Fidelity
Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,205,765.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Trump got elected because he was smarter, and more compelling than Hillary, at least at running a presidential campaign.

In all honesty, a candidate didn't need to be smart to beat Hillary this last time... Given the types of people that showed devoted support to her opponent, one of the "Blue Collar Comedy" guys could've ran and won.

Nobody fact checks anything and nobody bothers to research anything, as long as you tell them what they want to hear and pretend to hate all of the same things they hate, you're golden, they'll worship you and have a willingness to believe any old scare story about the other side.

Basically, half the country is more interested in confirmation bias than facts.

• Agree
Reactions: GoldenBoy89
Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
In all honesty, a candidate didn't need to be smart to beat Hillary this last time... Given the types of people that showed devoted support to her opponent, one of the "Blue Collar Comedy" guys could've ran and won.

Nobody fact checks anything and nobody bothers to research anything, as long as you tell them what they want to hear and pretend to hate all of the same things they hate, you're golden, they'll worship you and have a willingness to believe any old scare story about the other side.

Basically, half the country is more interested in confirmation bias than facts.

This is true. Even an intelligent voter like myself votes with no expectation that anything meaningful will come of the election, no matter who wins.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

TLK Valentine

I've already read the books you want burned.
Apr 15, 2012
Behind the 8-ball, but ahead of the curve.
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single

That we agree on -- Donald is one of the best salesmen out there... especially when the product is himself.

• Friendly
Reactions: OldWiseGuy
Upvote 0

KCfromNC

Apr 18, 2007
✟486,583.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Trump has done more for the POC communities in 1 year than the last guy did in 8
I'm not so sure. I mean, yeah, there was pretty high black voter turnout in the Alabama special election but we'll need to see if that's a national trend or not.

Upvote 0

NightHawkeye

Work-in-progress
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2010
✟803,537.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Many white Americans are not tired of ... but they are tired of where minorities ... receive special treatment, while Whites and Christians are both put down and culturally undermined.
It's called racial prejudice. Some say racism.

The left denies it ... but it's blatantly obvious.

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

I've already read the books you want burned.
Apr 15, 2012
Behind the 8-ball, but ahead of the curve.
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Many white Americans are not tired of simply "losing power," but they are tired of where minorities (who usually deserve it far less) receive special treatment, while Whites and Christians are both put down and culturally undermined.

Quick question: when you say "deserve it far less," do you mean deserve it far less compared to what they receive, or just deserve it far less than whites and Christians?

I think it is very foolish to NOT see illegal immigration/the wall as a racial issue, as was the proposed Muslim ban.

Not to mention legal immigration, which Donald is cutting back on.

Upvote 0

cow451

Standing with Ukraine.
Site Supporter
May 29, 2012
Hot and Humid
✟1,120,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It's all good. I find that most mature blacks are thoughtful, compassionate people. No fear here.
Massa say good things about the help. Thanks, Massa OldWiseGuy.

Reactions: camille70
Upvote 0