I told you so
Oct 3, 2015
Finland
✟34,886.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
To celebrate the historical achievements of white man, most of the things we consider progressive and civilized, have been either invented, or re-invented by white man's culture. Such as human rights, constitutional democracy, loads of art and scientific inventions etc.

Upvote 0

PeachyKeane

M.I.A.
Mar 11, 2006
✟91,102.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
To celebrate the historical achievements of white man, most of the things we consider progressive and civilized, have been either invented, or re-invented by white man's culture. Such as human rights, constitutional democracy, loads of art and scientific inventions etc.

You wouldn't want non-white people to march for that?

Do you consider that "your cause?"

Upvote 0

Jack of Spades

I told you so
Oct 3, 2015
Finland
✟34,886.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
You wouldn't want non-white people to march for that?

I don't know really, I didn't think that far. It would depend on the setting. If it was a public march, then naturally everyone who's sympathetic for the cause, should join. If it was some kind of a closed setting, then maybe whites only?

Do you consider that "your cause?"

I would like to have a chance to openly experience some kind of "Proud to be white" sentiment.

Upvote 0

NothingIsImpossible

May 22, 2015
✟274,922.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I have been told that white people cannot march for "[their] causes", because it would be perceived as racist.

I had no idea.

My white friends, please share with me. What are these white causes that I could not comprehend?
Its totally racist. Because we have special white cards that give us everything. Cars, money, homes, schooling, doctors...etc. We have perfect lives since we are white! We don't even have bills to pay! Cops never pull us over. We never get hurt by people!

Ok sarcasm aside, only racist people find "white events" racist. For example many blacks will say white event is racist. But they themselves have miss black universe, black college stuff and so on. And we need to also remember there is no "white" or "black" really. If people could realize that race wouldn't be an issue.

For example my friend is german. I am italian (mostly). Are we both white? Well.... maybe skin color wise. But technically no. I am italian american. He is german american. My wife is filipino. My friends great grandparents are from (if I recall) nambia. You see what I am saying. We, in America are from all different places. So to me its an insult when someone compares a nazi to me because I am white. They were germans and part of a hate group. I am american and hertiage is from Italy. We are not the same. We are not "white". Just as technically there are no blacks, just people that share a varying skin color from countries like Africa (people forget africa is not the only country with "black" people).

Now if someone has a "White only" event I'd probably be annoyed by it. Because there is no white. They should call it whatever it is. Like "Irish american night!". Unless it is meant as some racist white event. Then they should be in trouble. Just as someone who has a "black only" event would be racist to me also.

Upvote 0

MrSpikey

Dec 1, 2015
UK
✟34,367.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private

Don't you think it would be easier to just have a general march recognising valuable historical achievements, regardless of where they were invented, reinvented or appropriated from?

Then everyone could enjoy it, and it would obviously solve a lot of problems!

(Not least, where to send the white women while the white men are off celebrating the fact that some people of similar genitalia, rather than just hue, did some stuff, at some time in the past)

Upvote 0

Jack of Spades

I told you so
Oct 3, 2015
Finland
✟34,886.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Don't you think it would be easier to just have a general march recognising valuable historical achievements, regardless of where they were invented, reinvented or appropriated from?

Then everyone could enjoy it, and it would obviously solve a lot of problems!

(Not least, where to send the white women while the white men are off celebrating the fact that some people of similar genitalia, rather than just hue, did some stuff, at some time in the past)

Why not celebrate white race and it's historical culture as a separate topic? We can be all-inclusive the rest 364 days a year.

In this context, I meant "white man" as in "white people", not males. White women have been part of building that civilization aswell.

Upvote 0

MrSpikey

Dec 1, 2015
UK
✟34,367.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Why not celebrate white race and it's historical culture as a separate topic? We can be all-inclusive the rest 364 days a year.

There isn't a single historical culture (or indeed current culture) for a body that numbers so many people.

If you want to celebrate that you share a physical characteristic with some people who did some things in the past, that is your choice.

If it helps, I can confirm also won't be going out on the blonde march, the blue eyes march, the "innie" march or the right handed march.

In this context, I meant "white man" as in "white people", not males. White women have been part of building that civilization aswell.

I'm sure they'll be thrilled to hear that.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Jack of Spades

I told you so
Oct 3, 2015
Finland
✟34,886.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
There isn't a single historical culture (or indeed current culture) for a body that numbers so many people.

If you want to celebrate that you share a physical characteristic with some people who did some things in the past, that is your choice.

If it helps, I can confirm also won't be going out on the blonde march, the blue eyes march, the "innie" march or the right handed march.

Why so snarky?

Upvote 0

Kalevalatar

Supisuomalainen sisupussi
Jul 5, 2005
Pohjola
✟20,327.00
Country
Finland
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

Redheads have their own day of celebrations:

Redhead Day

Irish Redhead Convention: Hundreds gather to celebrate red hair, in pictures

Is that a subculture of this thing "whiteness," I don't know, but they do seem to have a "cause" since redheadness not unlike left-handedness carries a historical stigma and "gingers" have faced downright persecution, discrimination, prejudice and bullying.

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,185.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
I have been told that white people cannot march for "[their] causes", because it would be perceived as racist.

I had no idea.

My white friends, please share with me. What are these white causes that I could not comprehend?

Oktoberfest?

I really don't know. As a white dude I can't think of a "white cause", at least not one I'd want to be part of.

Part of that might be because my "whiteness" doesn't constitute much of anything to my personal identity. My ancestry--primarily Irish, but also German and Danish--does fit into my personal identity; so I can get behind, say, being proud of my Irish heritage. But being "white" just doesn't matter to me, and I can't think of a "white cause" that wouldn't be something that would make my skin crawl and cause me to cringe in disgust.

And Irish causes? Grabbing a pint or four on St. Pat's, and yer more than welcome to come an' share in the joyous libations.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

MrSpikey

Dec 1, 2015
UK
✟34,367.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Redheads have their own day of celebrations:

Redhead Day

Irish Redhead Convention: Hundreds gather to celebrate red hair, in pictures

Is that a subculture of this thing "whiteness," I don't know, but they do seem to have a "cause" since redheadness not unlike left-handedness carries a historical stigma and "gingers" have faced downright persecution, discrimination, prejudice and bullying.

Indeed. My partner is a ginger redhead, and she went to such a gathering within the last year. If that's the kind of thing she enjoys, good luck to her.

[She didn't particularly enjoy it - while she found some parts interesting or fun, such as the people documenting the event through photos and biographic interviews, there was quite a lot of things she struggled to relate to, such as the main segment on redheads throughout history. While on message for the day, the parade of usually minor figures selected simply for having red hair didn't do much to interest her. Also, there were apparently way too many suntan lotion salesmen in attendance.]

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Jack of Spades

I told you so
Oct 3, 2015
Finland
✟34,886.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
I always assumed it was just the way I am.

But in this day and age, who can tell...

Snarky people are not a single historical group so you shouldn't identify as one! ;)

I might have assumed that your sarcasm had something to do with the common, mistaken assumption that having white pride in some sense is automatically the same thing as belief in white supremacy.

I'm not a KKK - kinda guy, I just find plenty of things to celebrate and to be proud of in the white mans cultural and historical heritage.

Upvote 0

MrSpikey

Dec 1, 2015
UK
✟34,367.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Snarky people are not a single historical group so you shouldn't identify as one! ;)

I might have assumed that your sarcasm had something to do with the common, mistaken assumption that having white pride in some sense is automatically the same thing as belief in white supremacy.

I'm not a KKK - kinda guy, I just find plenty of things to celebrate and to be proud of in the white mans cultural and historical heritage.
Each to their own.

As I stated upthread, when I discover something I like, I don't immediately try and determine the race/gender/etc. of the person who was behind it. I can just think it's good without having to find some tenuous reflective glory to bathe in.

Upvote 0

Jack of Spades

I told you so
Oct 3, 2015
Finland
✟34,886.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
As I stated upthread, when I discover something I like, I don't immediately try and determine the race/gender/etc. of the person who was behind it. I can just think it's good without having to find some tenuous reflective glory to bathe in.

Would you take the same belittling tone if I was, say, a Native American who wants to celebrate his cultural heritage?

I'm not planning to reject every sense of objectivity, and make the history all about race. Just looking for a one reason among others to celebrate, and feel some pride, once or twice a year.

It's really not a big deal. But it seems to me as if there was a double-standard when a white guy wants to do that, vs someone else wants to do that.

Upvote 0

MrSpikey

Dec 1, 2015
UK
✟34,367.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Would you take the same belittling tone if I was, say, a Native American who wants to celebrate his cultural heritage?

I'd say "each to their own" again, if that's what you mean.

I'm not planning to reject every sense of objectivity, and make the history all about race. Just looking for a one reason among others to celebrate, and feel some pride, once or twice a year.

It's really not a big deal. But it seems to me as if there was a double-standard when a white guy wants to do that, vs someone else wants to do that.
If that's what you want to do, then that's up to you. I won't be joining you, as I've already explained.

Upvote 0