Los Angeles Area
✟827,572.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
(ETA: This may be a better article putting all the pieces together.)

---

While originally ruled self-defense by the local Attorney, evidence given to a grand jury, "including evidence from Gardner’s Facebook messages and materials found within his home", resulted in the manslaughter and other charges.

The grand jury examining the shooting death of 22-year-old James Scurlock during a May protest in downtown Omaha returned Tuesday with an indictment of manslaughter for Jake Gardner.

Special Prosecutor Frederick Franklin said Gardner is also being indicted on other charges including making threats and attempted first-degree assault and felony use of a weapon.

Omaha Mayor Jean Stothert released the following statement in reaction to Gardner’s indictment:

“I ask everyone to accept the grand jury’s decision and respect the confidentiality of the grand jury process. The case against Jake Gardner will now move to trial. The U.S. Constitution guarantees all defendants, including Mr. Gardner, a speedy and public trial by an impartial jury. My priority now will be to keep our citizens and the city safe.”

The victim's father has also called for restraint.

Earlier reporting on the incident:

Gardner, who was the owner The Hive at 12th & Harney, is seen on video showing the gun he was carrying in his waistband. Investigators said he said he was there to protect his business. The video also shows Gardner’s father shoving a couple of the protesters, before one of the protesters knocks the father to the ground.

According to Kleine, Gardner told investigators he thought his life was in danger when James Scurlock jumped on his back and there was a struggle. Two others had jumped on Gardner’s back a few seconds earlier and Gardner had fired what Kleine described as “warning shots.”

This one seems pretty tangled, but it's for the jury to decide.

Last edited:

Goonie

Not so Mystic Mog.
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2015
UK
✟1,147,798.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
(ETA: This may be a better article putting all the pieces together.)

---

While originally ruled self-defense by the local Attorney, evidence given to a grand jury, "including evidence from Gardner’s Facebook messages and materials found within his home", resulted in the manslaughter and other charges.

The grand jury examining the shooting death of 22-year-old James Scurlock during a May protest in downtown Omaha returned Tuesday with an indictment of manslaughter for Jake Gardner.

Special Prosecutor Frederick Franklin said Gardner is also being indicted on other charges including making threats and attempted first-degree assault and felony use of a weapon.

Omaha Mayor Jean Stothert released the following statement in reaction to Gardner’s indictment:

“I ask everyone to accept the grand jury’s decision and respect the confidentiality of the grand jury process. The case against Jake Gardner will now move to trial. The U.S. Constitution guarantees all defendants, including Mr. Gardner, a speedy and public trial by an impartial jury. My priority now will be to keep our citizens and the city safe.”

The victim's father has also called for restraint.

Earlier reporting on the incident:

Gardner, who was the owner The Hive at 12th & Harney, is seen on video showing the gun he was carrying in his waistband. Investigators said he said he was there to protect his business. The video also shows Gardner’s father shoving a couple of the protesters, before one of the protesters knocks the father to the ground.

According to Kleine, Gardner told investigators he thought his life was in danger when James Scurlock jumped on his back and there was a struggle. Two others had jumped on Gardner’s back a few seconds earlier and Gardner had fired what Kleine described as “warning shots.”

This one seems pretty tangled, but it's for the jury to decide.
Tangled. The other evidence they've found would have to be truly damning i suspect for a jury to convict.

Upvote 0

cow451

Standing with Ukraine.
Site Supporter
May 29, 2012
Hot and Humid
✟1,120,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I thought that if your son has a gun, it gives any family member the authority to assault people until they hit back, then it is self-defense.
You didn’t ace the bar exam, I presume.

Upvote 0

Aryeh Jay

Gone and hopefully forgotten.
Site Supporter
Jul 19, 2012
MI - Michigan
✟498,114.00
Country
United States
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
You didn’t ace the bar exam, I presume.

And that is what I can’t understand. 69.5% was good enough for me to pass the 8th grade.

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟827,572.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Different case, but this is what incriminating social media posts might look like.

At 11.13pm his Discord chat record showed he and Hartman were fighting about him firing the gun in the backyard.

At 11.14 detectives found a message that said, 'I just sent a 9 millie in this [darn] hippie.'

...Rotter called 911 in Denton around 11.34pm and reported that his girlfriend shot herself in their home on the 2400 block of Robinwood Lane, police say.

Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟556,743.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics