Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Before anyone states the poll is unfair: yes, I'm aware that these aren't the only two possible arrangements; it is quite possible that an ideal situation would be a Democracy free of abortion. But it is a more interesting question if you are required to choose between these two options.

frienden thalord

Apr 9, 2017
texas
✟59,367.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
or option three, who would like to vote for me and others like me
to make the church great again. I promise not to Lord anything over anyone
we would all be as equals, we would have only the bible taught.
no other doctrines, just the pure teachings of Christ and the pattern the apostels followed.
Yes we would be treated like dung by many, but we would forgive them.
And just the holy scrips loved and taught , and just have a church like the early church.
a LIKE is a vote for YES..................come on peoples lets vote the house down.

Reactions: PeaceJoyLove
Upvote 0

MoonlessNight

Fides et Ratio
Sep 16, 2003
✟63,049.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Would the Catholic monarchy have laws against heresy and blasphemy?

Interpret the question as you will.

(I'll note in passing, however, that there is nothing in Catholic teaching that forbids laws against heresy and blasphemy, nor anything that requires them in all circumstances.)

Reactions: Rhamiel
Upvote 0

frienden thalord

Apr 9, 2017
texas
✟59,367.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Interpret the question as you will.

(I'll note in passing, however, that there is nothing in Catholic teaching that forbids laws against heresy and blasphemy, nor anything that requires them in all circumstances.)
i had to recall my vote after hearing that. but you and mountain girl can vote for me.

Upvote 0

Genersis

Person of Disinterest
Sep 26, 2011
London
✟38,690.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Labour
Monarchy is dumb.
As if any trait useful in governing is hereditary.
Though I guess one could also say that such traits won't always appeal to voters in a democracy either, but at least there is consent involved via a mandate(well assuming the democracy's voting system isn't broken...). A democracy can change for the better through elections, not so much for monarchies.

Slapping any kind of religion on it really isn't going to make it any better. Religions just aren't good things to base constitutions, government and legislature on; most religions originating from a time with no concept of modern nations.

Also doesn't help that most religions are, by their very nature, used to judge people, dividing them into groups with varying levels of acceptability. This is usually pretty bad news for any minorities unfortunate enough to fall on the wrong side of the dominant religion.

Hundreds of thousands of abortions a year isn't great, and suggests a lack of sex education and access to birth control, but it is a (personal)problem with the people, not government(just as abortion always is).

I'd take democracy stuck with a persistently high number of abortions, than being stuck living under a Catholic monarchy(which would still have abortions going on, just not legally and possibly not as many).

Upvote 0

MoonlessNight

Fides et Ratio
Sep 16, 2003
✟63,049.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
If it isn't obvious from where this was posted, I'd prefer that only Catholics vote in the poll.

I mean it should be obvious, but I can understand why it wouldn't be given the way that the site has been run as of late.

Upvote 0

Rhamiel

Member of the Round Table
Nov 11, 2006
ohio
✟241,111.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Would the Catholic monarchy have laws against heresy and blasphemy?

Probably more along the lines of older 'public decency' laws rather then the USSR having kids turn in their own parents

Historically the two factors that determine how strict these laws are in Confessional States are
1 How pluralistic is the state? In the Holy Roman Empire there were some instances where a Catholic prince would rule over cities with a Protestant majority
2 Is a religious war going on? Of course people are a bit more on edge during times of crisis

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

HeLeadethMe

Apr 27, 2017
Toronto
✟32,827.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Let's vote for the option that man cannot offer us........the one that Jesus preached, the kingdom of God which comes not with our careful observation (external physical realm), and of which Jesus Christ is the Head. Leaving all kingdoms of the world to God, because our citizenship is not here but in His kingdom. The gospel which we receive........is the gospel of His kingdom.

Matthew 4:17 From that time Jesus began to preach, and to say, Repent: for the kingdom of heaven is AT HAND.

Matthew 10:7 And as ye go, preach, saying, The kingdom of heaven is AT HAND.

Mark 1:14-15

Now after that John was put in prison, Jesus came into Galilee, PREACHING THE GOSPEL OF THE KINGDOM OF GOD,
And saying, The time is fulfilled, and the kingdom of God is AT HAND: repent ye, and believe the gospel.

Upvote 0

Mountain_Girl406

Site Supporter
Jul 9, 2015
✟144,014.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
I proposed a similar thought experiment once...if a pro life law was passed that upon further analysis could also be used to ban meat eating, would you propose to repeal it and work on a narrower law knowing that abortions would be taking place in the interim and there were no guarantees?

• Agree
Upvote 0

MoonlessNight

Fides et Ratio
Sep 16, 2003
✟63,049.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
What prompted this weird and, let's just admit it, pointless poll ?

Should I surrender my freedom or surrender someone else's ?

I'm actually pleasantly surprised by the results.

What prompted the poll was conversing (in other places) with many Catholics who were more than willing to question Church teaching, but who were completely unwilling to question certain pieces of secular dogma. In particular, there were multiple people I ran into (on both sides of the political aisle) who would absolutely under no circumstances consider any system of government other than democracy as justified, even going so far as to say that anyone who didn't wholeheartedly support democracy was a bad Catholic for doing so, but who were more than willing to hear arguments about why things like abortion, same sex marriage, usury, etc. should be allowed.

Now many times these people would actually support Church teaching on those other issues, but the point is that they were willing to debate them, while democracy itself was considered above question. This struck me as incredibly odd seeing as how there is nothing in democracy itself which makes it beyond question, indeed we can imagine a scenario in which the majority rejects democracy which by democratic principles would require it to dissolve, and the Church certainly hasn't said that other forms of government such as monarchies are in any way immoral.

So I wanted to get a read on how people on this site thought about such things.

• Agree
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums