Which would you prefer?

Who should the congressman try to appeal to?

• White-Nationalists.

• Democrats.

• I can't decide.

Results are only viewable after voting.

JGG

Mar 12, 2006
✟58,445.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private
It's funny, I saw an interview this morning with an editor from some political magazine. He had been asked about the Roy Moore situation, and he rhymed off all the ways in which the partisan divide was different today than 20 years ago. He then stated that it doesn't matter whether Moore is really guilty or not. What people were missing in Alabama is that the State is heavily right-wing and Republican, and when given the choice between a pedophile statutory rapist and a Democrat, Republicans would "never be able to decide which was worse", and then paused before saying "actually, they would probably favor a pedophile if it came down to it."

Now, at the time I thought he was just talking and being frustrated, but it appears his thesis might have some merit.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Paulos23
Upvote 0

The~Cerberus~Infinite

Nov 19, 2017
Americant
✟1,091.00
Country
American Samoa
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Private
A hypothetical for you.

A Republican congressman is running for re-election. He is quickly finding that he will be unable to defeat his opponent without appealing to either White Nationalists, Neo-Nazis and the KKK, or to Democrats. The congressman is going to introduce campaign policy that will appeal to one of these two groups. Which would you prefer he appeal to?

If you don't like hypotheticals, feel free to check "I can't decide".

In a pinch, always swing for the Kekistani vote. We don't disappoint.

Upvote 0

The~Cerberus~Infinite

Nov 19, 2017
Americant
✟1,091.00
Country
American Samoa
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Private
Just to keep track, at 9:03 CST, we have 2 for White-Nationalists, 3 for Democrats, and 4 unofficial "I can't decides".

Make it public baby. We don't abide your false dichotomy turned self fulfilling prophecy. We don't abide your race politics. And your use of them will not go the way you think it will. We are not so riddled with guilt that we would accept our destruction.

Upvote 0

Hank77

Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,099,038.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I didn't ask whether you'd vote for them, only which policy direction you'd prefer (in case he's elected).
Well why didn't you just simply say.... would you rather a White Nationalist get elected or a Democrat?

That's easy a Democrat.

Upvote 0

Ken Rank

Supporter
Jan 12, 2014
Winchester, KENtucky
✟308,895.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
So you can't decide among the options?
No... you gave 2 1/2 possible answers... 2 real choices and a shoulder shrug. There are many more possibilities that could have been listed. Only giving two is actually a very good picture of the black and white political culture we exist in today (meaning, we only get two choices and have to chose one and stand against the other). I would think all the great minds here could have come up with 10 choices or more. My contribution would be for the politician to not try to appeal to any group and instead just be REAL and lay out his/her ambitions in terms of what might make the world around us better and just let the chips fall where they may.

Upvote 0

Hammster

Psalm 144:1
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,718,556.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
A hypothetical for you.

A Republican congressman is running for re-election. He is quickly finding that he will be unable to defeat his opponent without appealing to either White Nationalists, Neo-Nazis and the KKK, or to Democrats. The congressman is going to introduce campaign policy that will appeal to one of these two groups. Which would you prefer he appeal to?

So apparently the Democrat already has the support of the White Nationalists, and the Republican must woo them away.

Hmm.

• Haha
Reactions: Rion
Upvote 0

PeachyKeane

M.I.A.
Mar 11, 2006
✟91,092.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Make it public baby. We don't abide your false dichotomy turned self fulfilling prophecy. We don't abide your race politics. And your use of them will not go the way you think it will. We are not so riddled with guilt that we would accept our destruction.

It's already gone how I thought it would.

Upvote 0

War_Eagle

Nov 11, 2017
Lake Worth
✟9,980.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
A hypothetical for you.

You didn't tell us what the policy is.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

PeachyKeane

M.I.A.
Mar 11, 2006
✟91,092.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
You didn't tell us what the policy is.

It was in post 7.

For instance, making skin color a factor when vetting immigration visas for the White-Nationalists. Creating a series of government-issued college scholarships for children from households making less than $75,000 annually for Democrats.

Upvote 0

War_Eagle

Nov 11, 2017
Lake Worth
✟9,980.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
It was in post 7.

For instance, making skin color a factor when vetting immigration visas for the White-Nationalists. Creating a series of government-issued college scholarships for children from households making less than $75,000 annually for Democrats.

The second is obviously Unconstitutional so, no.

The first wouldn't really solve the problem so, no.

Upvote 0

Rion

Annuit Cœptis
Supporter
Oct 26, 2006
Nebraska
✟419,198.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Well why didn't you just simply say.... would you rather a White Nationalist get elected or a Democrat?

That's easy a Democrat.

That's not what he's asking. Trust me, I've spent days prior to this thread trying to figure out what he's asking, exactly. The best I can figure out is that it's some bizarre way of suggesting that Republicans are really white nationalists or something.

• Useful
Reactions: Hank77
Upvote 0

PeachyKeane

M.I.A.
Mar 11, 2006
✟91,092.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
No... you gave 2 1/2 possible answers... 2 real choices and a shoulder shrug.

That's more than we usually get.

There are many more possibilities that could have been listed. Only giving two is actually a very good picture of the black and white political culture we exist in today (meaning, we only get two choices and have to chose one and stand against the other).

Good that's what I was going for. This is American Politics afterall.

I would think all the great minds here could have come up with 10 choices or more. My contribution would be for the politician to not try to appeal to any group and instead just be REAL and lay out his/her ambitions in terms of what might make the world around us better and just let the chips fall where they may.

These are the options put in front of you. Which do you prefer?

If you'd like, in post 18 I offered Hank a different scenario.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ken Rank
Upvote 0

War_Eagle

Nov 11, 2017
Lake Worth
✟9,980.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married

That's easy a Democrat.

As a Christian and a liberty loving American, I can't imagine why I would ever vote for a Democrat.

It doesn't seem very likely that I'd vote for a white nationalist, but not everything a white nationalist would do would be related to white nationalism.

For instance, while I wouldn't agree with his white nationalism, if he favored lower taxes or returning those things the Constitution says are reserved to the states to the states, those two good things wouldn't just automatically become bad things because he believes in white nationalism.

So, while it's hard for me to imagine a scenario in which I'd vote for a white nationalist, if he was right on other things, I'd have to vote for him over a Democrat.

• Informative
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Hammster

Psalm 144:1
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,718,556.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
So the OP has given made an assumption that a conservative will always vote for a Republican no matter what. Which is false.

So here’s the issue based upon this unrealistic hypothesis. The voter MUST support the Republican candidate. They must not support any third party candidate. Obviously, they cannot support the Democrat because they’ve already campaigned in such a way as to attract the White Nationalists.

So given these facts, we must choose whether said Republican must introduce legislation that either obviously goes against his values (if he was already in support of White Nationalists he wouldn’t need to try to lure them away from the Democrat), or it is just political expediency. Either way, he’s not a man of values that should be supported.

So “I can’t decide” isn’t really a viable option for most. A fourth option should be, “Vote for someone else”.

• Agree
Upvote 0

Rion

Annuit Cœptis
Supporter
Oct 26, 2006
Nebraska
✟419,198.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
So “I can’t decide” isn’t really a viable option for most. A fourth option should be, “Vote for someone else”.

That's what I said when he first posed the question, but that apparently counts as me not being able to decide.

Upvote 0

PeachyKeane

M.I.A.
Mar 11, 2006
✟91,092.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
So the OP has given made an assumption that a conservative will always vote for a Republican no matter what. Which is false.

So here’s the issue based upon this unrealistic hypothesis. The voter MUST support the Republican candidate. They must not support any third party candidate. Obviously, they cannot support the Democrat because they’ve already campaigned in such a way as to attract the White Nationalists.

So given these facts, we must choose whether said Republican must introduce legislation that either obviously goes against his values (if he was already in support of White Nationalists he wouldn’t need to try to lure them away from the Democrat), or it is just political expediency. Either way, he’s not a man of values that should be supported.

Not at all. There is no expectation at all that you'd vote for him. I specifically said that to Hank, and this thread is open for liberals to vote on, even if they won't vote for him. The question is which do you prefer, not which will get your vote?

If you prefer post 18 gives different scenario.

But realistically, given how well McCain, Flake, Corker, and Kasich have been received by their party of late, I really don't think 'standing up for their values' is particularly a virtue in today's GOP.

Last edited:
Upvote 0