Which version or versions of the Bible are best to read?

grasping the after wind

That's grasping after the wind
Jan 18, 2010
Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Any honest translation ought to give the reader the gist of the message . I do not trust the paraphrased ones as it is much easier to put one's personal biases into a paraphrase than it is into a straight translation. For aesthetic and poetic value, I prefer the original King James version but t being aesthetic and poetic does not equal being better in translating the message.

Upvote 0

Original Happy Camper

One of GODS Children I am a historicist
Site Supporter
Mar 19, 2016
Alabama
✟486,806.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Last edited:
Upvote 0

Andrewn

CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Jul 4, 2019
-
✟681,411.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
The answer depends on many factors. There is no single translation that I would recommend for everyone. According to your profile, you're a young person who is a seeker.

My 1st and most important recommendation is that you start by reading the NT. Perhaps you Can start with Luke's Gospel, but any of the 4 Gospels would be fine.

My 2nd recommendation is to use a modern English translation that is accurate at the same time. I suggest the Christian Standard Bible. A 2nd choice would be the Common English Bible (in case you don't find the 1st in a bookstore near you). If you're reading online, you can read both side by side and let me know which one you prefer.

I'm sorry to say, ignore those who recommend KJV, NKJV, and NASB. These translations are quite wooden and will likely stay on the shelf or the coffee table.

• Haha
Reactions: ml5363
Upvote 0

crossnote

Berean
Site Supporter
May 16, 2010
So. Cal.
✟250,151.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The best version of the Bible is the one that is read.

I would stay away from The New World Translation, The Passion and The Message.
You are good to go with
KJV
NKJV
NASB
ESV

Upvote 0

Andrewn

CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Jul 4, 2019
-
✟681,411.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Any honest translation ought to give the reader the gist of the message .

I find the best version is the one you read and understand.

I suggest the Christian Standard Bible.

The best version of the Bible is the one that is read.

Is the New International Version a good version to read?
Yes, if it is the translation you have access to. The important thing is to read the New Testament.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Going_Nowhere

Nov 10, 2019
GULF BREEZE
✟106,986.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
This is the best version of the Bible to read.

71wfNbUZXML.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: GreekOrthodox
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

JohnClay

Married Mouth-Breather
Site Supporter
Oct 27, 2006
Australia
Visit site
✟447,219.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
I think it is good that the 2011 edition of the NIV points out parts that weren't in the earlier manuscripts...
e.g.
Bible Gateway passage: John 7 - New International Version
[The earliest manuscripts and many other ancient witnesses do not have John 7:53—8:11. A few manuscripts include these verses, wholly or in part, after John 7:36, John 21:25, Luke 21:38 or Luke 24:53.]

Bible Gateway passage: 1 John 5:7-8 - New International Version
7 For there are three that testify: 8 the[a] Spirit, the water and the blood; and the three are in agreement.

1 John 5:8 Late manuscripts of the Vulgate testify in heaven: the Father, the Word and the Holy Spirit, and these three are one. 8 And there are three that testify on earth: the (not found in any Greek manuscript before the fourteenth century)

Upvote 0

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,600.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
Tough question. I really like the Amplified. Mostly I use Bible Hub and compare a lot of different versions. Sometimes I look at the Greek words. If I had to have just one Bible, it would be the Amplified. I also use New American Standard. It does not read well, which is why I compare others.

Some translations seek to interpret to say what it means, not just what it says. I'm not a fan of that approach. It is open to personal interpretation. The classic error to me is Galatians 2:20. Literally, Paul says that we live by the faith of the Son of God. The emphasis is on the faith of Christ. Most modern translations change it to "faith in the Son of God. The emphasis shifts to what we have to do.

It is also possible to misuse even the best of translations. "Faith" preachers have hijacked and twisted faith verses to mean that we can get anything we want if we have faith.

• Useful
Reactions: St_Worm2
Upvote 0

St_Worm2

Simul Justus et Peccator
Site Supporter
Jan 28, 2002
✟2,925,440.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Hello @leefromcanada, the NIV is a fine Bible for reading. For studying, you might want to use one of the more precise/true translations along with it, like the NASB, KJV, NKJV and/or ESV.

These can all be found at sites like these BTW: Bible Gateway and/or Bible Hub.

In fact, at Bible Hub, you can compare quite a few translations on the same page, one verse at a time, to see which one seems/reads best to you :oldthumbsup: (and there are quite a number of study tools available to you there are well, commentaries, word studies, etc. .. and Bible Gateway has things like audio Bibles if you'd prefer to listen and read, or just listen)

For what it's worth, my principle/go-to translation is the NASB (New American Standard Bible).

The NIV is the easiest for someone new to read but it doesn't have all the books in it.
You might want to explain what you mean by that to @leefromcanada brother, because if there is an NIV out there that includes the Apocryphal books, it would, no doubt, be the list of such books that are sanctioned by the RCC, not the EOC, which means that books would STILL be missing, yes ;)

--David

Last edited:
Reactions: Jord Simcha
Upvote 0

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,600.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
I use Bible Hub. It lists many versions, apart from the Amplified. The Amplified is my choice if I had only one version I could take with me on a trip.

I prefer translations, not interpretations. Many modern versions try to second guess the writer and say what they think he meant. It can lead to error. We have the Holy Spirit to interpret God's word and make it real to us.

Upvote 0

crossnote

Berean
Site Supporter
May 16, 2010
So. Cal.
✟250,151.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Yes, if it is the translation you have access to. The important thing is to read the New Testament.
...and the Old Testament...

1 Corinthians 10:11 NASB
[11] Now these things happened to them as an example, and they were written for our instruction, upon whom the ends of the ages have come.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

MoreQuestions

Jan 10, 2020
Winson
✟10,716.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Private
I suggest reading about the origins of the bible first - who wrote it, their credentials, how it has changed and when it was written.
Then read a bible and some refutations of it at the same time, so that you can form a balanced judgement.
Seems everyone has their own interpretation of the bible, so this approach might help you with yours.

Upvote 0

ml5363

Jan 6, 2016
Tennessee
✟28,267.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The answer depends on many factors. There is no single translation that I would recommend for everyone. According to your profile, you're a young person who is a seeker.

Actually my KJV is quite worn thanks

My 1st and most important recommendation is that you start by reading the NT. Perhaps you Can start with Luke's Gospel, but any of the 4 Gospels would be fine.

My 2nd recommendation is to use a modern English translation that is accurate at the same time. I suggest the Christian Standard Bible. A 2nd choice would be the Common English Bible (in case you don't find the 1st in a bookstore near you). If you're reading online, you can read both side by side and let me know which one you prefer.

I'm sorry to say, ignore those who recommend KJV, NKJV, and NASB. These translations are quite wooden and will likely stay on the shelf or the coffee table.

Upvote 0

Andrewn

CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Jul 4, 2019
-
✟681,411.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I would stay away from this one as well...it like to forfeit important words ..
I completely agree. But if it is the only translation available to him, it's better than no Bible. I'm keeping in mind that he's a seeker not a Christian and hope that he reads the NT.

Some people here are writing posts as if they were advising a wannabe scholar. Some are even advising him not miss on the Torah and the Apocrypha!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: solid_core
Upvote 0

Lukaris

Orthodox Christian
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2007
Pennsylvania, USA
✟752,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
The KJV, NKJV, NASB as others have said.

The Catholic NAB is ok:
New American Bible - Wikipedia

The old Catholic Douay Rheims is also ok:
Douay–Rheims Bible - Wikipedia

The Orthodox Study Bible is good but might be expensive because it is not widespread:

Orthodox Study Bible - Wikipedia

The Revised Standard Version up to the 1970s is good; later additions are not as good but fair:

Revised Standard Version - Wikipedia

The King James Bible can be bought at Dollar Tree Stores for a $1. The best dollar anyone can spend:

King James Bibles - Dollar Tree, Inc.

Last edited:
Upvote 0