-
✟681,411.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Thanks for the recommendation and the link! I'm not familiar at all with the MEV but I'll definitely look into it further!!!
MEV follows the KJV closely and updates the language of NKJV a little bit. You can check the translation on Biblegateway. NKJV is also available in large print.

Reactions: BCubed
Upvote 0

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,148,308.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
Is there a specific date in which the updated KJV occurred or will it say updated in the description?
Sorry, I was too terse. The MEV is an updated KJV. It uses the same underlying Greek text, and is guided by the KJV's interpretation.

Upvote 0

BCubed

Nov 27, 2016
United States
✟11,425.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
MEV follows the KJV closely and updates the language of NKJV a little bit. You can check the translation on Biblegateway. NKJV is also available in large print.

What I found interesting when I started looking at Bibles from different manufacturers is how different the size of the text really depends on the font used. Zondervan's "large print (11.4 point)" is about my minimum size I could go with and their "giant print (14 point)" is about the max I want to go with, any larger and people my think I can't see at all. I looked at Tyndale's "giant print (it also said 14 point)" and it was ginormous...maybe 17 words per page? Yea, I'm exaggerating a bit, but it seemed that large. LOL

I was trying to do some quick research on the MEV before I headed out to eat and read something saying, "Beware of the MEV." So of course I checked it out. I'm pretty sure the website is a "KJV is the only real Bible" website. One of the things it mentioned was John 20: 17 where the KJV said to Mary, "Touch me not", and the MEV said to Mary, "Stop holding onto Me". Out of context it seems as though the KJV is stopping her before she touched Him and the MEV is telling her to stop touching Him.

But then I compared those two translations to the NKJV, the ESV, the NRSV, the NASB, the CEB, the NLT, and the NIV, and all the others said Mary was to let go of Him. The KJV was the only one to say for her not to "touch" Him.

So is the KJV the only English translation we should trust, or is this website just picking this specific verse because the KJV is different from almost every other translation in this verse?

Again, I appreciate everyone't help, replies, and guidance!!!

BCubed

Upvote 0

Andrewn

CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Jul 4, 2019
-
✟681,411.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I do almost all of my reading on the computer. That way I can get the text whatever size I need. I use Logos, because I also use a variety of commentaries and other resources, but there are other approaches.
Your approach is more advanced than mine. I use a paper Bible and at the same time a computer with various translations. And I make word or sentence changes in my paper Bible if I prefer a different rendering. This way I end up with my own individualized Bible. :)

Upvote 0

Andrewn

CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Jul 4, 2019
-
✟681,411.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
What I found interesting when I started looking at Bibles from different manufacturers is how different the size of the text really depends on the font used. Zondervan's "large print (11.4 point)" is about my minimum size I could go with and their "giant print (14 point)" is about the max I want to go with, any larger and people my think I can't see at all. I looked at Tyndale's "giant print (it also said 14 point)" and it was ginormous...maybe 17 words per page? Yea, I'm exaggerating a bit, but it seemed that large. LOL
Good thing you have a Christian bookstore nearby where you can physically look at different translations. Most Christian bookstores have closed down bec of competition with Amazon and other online sellers.

I was trying to do some quick research on the MEV before I headed out to eat and read something saying, "Beware of the MEV." So of course I checked it out. I'm pretty sure the website is a "KJV is the only real Bible" website.
I've seen that website before. Of course, it's a KJV only.

But then I compared those two translations to the NKJV, the ESV, the NRSV, the NASB, the CEB, the NLT, and the NIV, and all the others said Mary was to let go of Him. The KJV was the only one to say for her not to "touch" Him. So is the KJV the only English translation we should trust, or is this website just picking this specific verse because the KJV is different from almost every other translation in this verse?
KJV rendering of Joh 20:17 has to be wrong. The Greek word "haptomai" has a spectrum of meaning. The Lord couldn't have asked Mary _not to_ touch Him. Few verses later in Joh 20:27, the Lord specifically asked Thomas _to_ touch Him:

27 Then He said to Thomas, “Put your finger here, and look at My hands. Put your hand here and place it in My side. Do not be faithless, but believing.”

Upvote 0

BCubed

Nov 27, 2016
United States
✟11,425.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Good thing you have a Christian bookstore nearby where you can physically look at different translations. Most Christian bookstores have closed down bec of competition with Amazon and other online sellers.

Unfortunately I don't :( We used to have two in my city but both have closed down within the last two years. I saw these Bibles at our local Barnes and Noble.

I appreciate all the help. I guess I'm just old school and prefer to have the Bible in my hand. Other websites (FB, T-W, Yahoo, Lowes Hardware, etc.) don't tempt me if the computer is off and the Bible is in my hand! ;)

Still unsure about which translation I should purchase. The only translations that are plentiful in my area to look at or purchase are the KJV, the NIV, and the NKJV. A few NLT and ESV translations locally but not near as many as the other three translations.

Again, I appreciate all of the help!

BCubed

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul.
Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,192,685.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I appreciate the link....plan on watching it later today!

Are there any current translations you feel are anywhere close to the accuracy of the KJV, but simpler to read?

I ask because after looking at my copies of the study bibles I currently have: NASB, the NLT, and the NKJV; my old eyes are really having a problem concentrating on the text because of the size of print, even with reading glasses on, so I'm thinking of getting a larger print translation (non study) of the Bible. Whether it's the same translation I currently have or something new, I really need something with larger print.

Thanks for the help!!!

BCubed

I would always compare a Modern Translation with the KJV. So getting a KJV and a Modern Translation that is easy to read is your best bet. You can buy a KJV and a Modern Translation in Giant Print.

Another option is the Kindle Oasis E Book Reader. It can be read like a regular piece of paper (from a real book) and it's standard settings is not backlit like a smart device or computer (So it gives you that book like feel when you are reading). You can adjust the text settings to read it at the letter size that you find comfortable. You will also have more Bible choices that would fit your eye size requirements.

Kindle Oasis Book Reader:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07GRSK3HC/

You can read your Bible in the bathtub or swimming pool (Seeing it is waterproof). Well, do not intentionally drop it in the water. The point is that it can survive splashes of water. It's really cool, I like relaxing to the Bible while I am in the water. It's great. Another great thing about the Oasis reader is that you don't have to lug something heavy around. You can take thousands of books with you to church or on a plane, etc. It's more lightweight and smaller than a tablet and yet it is not crazy small like a smartphone. In the long run, if you plan on buying 30 books, the device pays for itself. There are many free Kindle books, and many of the paid ones are more affordable than the printed books. So you save in the long run if you read lots of books.

As for what Bibles I would recommend that is close to the KJV:

Well, for readability, I like the NLT (New Living Translation).

For something a little closer to the KJV, I like the NKJV.

I also like the AMPC (Amplified Bible Classic Edition).

You may want to get a KJV Parallel Bible.
This is a bible that shows both translations side by side.

They have a…

KJV / NLT - Parallel Bible.
https://www.amazon.com/Peoples-Parallel-Bible-KJV-NLT/dp/1414307152

KJV / NKJV - Parallel Bible.
https://www.amazon.com/Bible-Version-New-Version-Parallel-Reference/dp/0840711247/

KJV / AMPC - Parallel Bible (JDM 40th Anniversary Bible (KJV/AMPC Large Print)). (This one is pricey, but I like the AMPC better than the AMP).

There is the KJV / AMP - Parallel Bible that is cheaper in large print:
https://www.amazon.com/Amplified-Parallel-Leathersoft-Burgundy-Letter/dp/0310446708/

I hope this helps;
And may God bless you in finding the right Bible or Bibles to read and study.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BCubed

Nov 27, 2016
United States
✟11,425.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Another option is the Kindle Oasis E Book Reader.

As for what Bibles I would recommend that is close to the KJV:

For something a little closer to the KJV, I like the NKJV.

I also like the AMPC (Amplified Bible Classic Edition).

You may want to get a KJV Parallel Bible.

I hope this helps;
And may God bless you in finding the right Bible or Bibles to read and study.

Thanks for all the information!

That Oasis looks incredible. Unfortunately don't have the funds for it right now but I already have an Amazon Fire 8" tablet (color/HD - they had it on special around Christmas time for around $49) and an old Amazon Kindle (b&w, no touch screen, navigate with buttons, $29 when I bought it).

Although not near as nice as the Oasis, I would assume I could download the same content?

That way I could carry many translations around with me in a small package and at a pretty inexpensive cost.....excellent ideas gentlemen!!!!

Again, I appreciate the help from everyone. Plan on going by B&N some time today and see what they have one more time (have 25% off that ends today) to see if a large/giant translation stands out.

BCubed

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟719,325.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I'm currently using a New American Standard Bible (The Open Bible Expanded Edition, Nelson) as well as a New King James Study Bible (Nelson) in my studies in order to have several different translations of the Word of God.

I typically take the NASB to church with me because, while it has a huge Biblical Cyclopedic Index in the front and a two page introduction prior to each book in the Bible, the books are pretty straight forward with their content, not having a huge number of footnotes and no side margin information.

I would like to add a third physical Bible to add to my studies. I know, my YouVersion app has multiple translations at my fingertips, but I find I'm more focused if I have an actual Bible in front of me.

What translation would you advise me to purchase? Is there a specific Bible in that translation you would recommend?

Both of my translations above come from the "word-for-word equivalence" side of the spectrum (although the NASB more so), so I'm wondering if I might need a more "thought-for-thought" equivalent such as the CSB, NIV, or NLT?

I would like something accurate and not overly difficult to read/understand. Would prefer words of Christ in red and large(r) print, but these are not requirements.

Unfortunately both of the Christian bookstores in my town have gone out of business.

Thank you very much for your help and guidance!

BCubed

Regardless what one chooses from the english translations ... they should have a very exhaustive concordance(s) and greek & hebrew lexicons to get back to the hebrew and greek languages as those languages have a lot more depth than the english languages ... and were the languages from which we get the english translations.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BCubed

Nov 27, 2016
United States
✟11,425.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married

Regardless what one chooses from the english translations ... they should have a very exhaustive concordance(s) to get back to the hebrew and greek languages as those languages have a lot more depth than the english languages ... and were the languages from which we get the english translations.

It's interesting to hear people recommend the NLT and say no way to the NIV. I remember 20 or so years ago some people saying, "the NLT is too close to a paraphrase and unreliable. The NIV is what to buy. Other than the NKJV, the NIV is the only way to go if not using the KJV."

I have three study Bibles as well as three other large books my father left me to help with more in depth study of the original language and the meanings. Right now I'm trying to find a "smaller" Bible that doesn't have a great deal of the extras my study Bibles do so it's easy to carry around (with a translation that's easy to read; but a font big enough for my older eyes without being gigantic).

Thanks for all the advice.

BCubed

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Andrewn

CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Jul 4, 2019
-
✟681,411.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Right now I'm trying to find a "smaller" Bible that doesn't have a great deal of the extras my study Bibles do so it's easy to carry around (with a translation that's easy to read; but a font big enough for my older eyes without being gigantic).
This afternoon, I was reading the fruit of the Spirit and noticed that the list in MEV is closest to KJV, and probably the best:

Gal 5:22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, gentleness, goodness, faith, 23 meekness, and self-control; against such there is no law. (MEV)

Last edited:
Upvote 0