Which Temple/Court/Sanctuary is shown in Revelation 11:1-2--Herod's Temple or Future?

Revelation 11:1-2 Herod's Temple, Future or Other?

• A future earthly Temple

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don't know right now

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

LittleLambofJesus

Hebrews 2:14.... Pesky Devil, git!
Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Which Temple/Court/Sanctuary is shown being measured in Revelation 11? Future or 70AD?
There are also some Christians that feel they must help the Jews build a Temple before Jesus returns.
Sadly, there are many Christians who also believe a Jewish temple must be rebuilt. Some have even given money to "The Temple Institute" to help rebuild the temple.
I have heard some Christians even argue that animals will be sacrificed during the millennium, not for sin, but as a "memorial".
All of this only produces confusion in the Body of Christ, and therefore it is an important consideration.

Translation taken from the Textus Receptus
Discuss

Revelation 11:
1 And was given to me a reed like-as rod saying "rouse! and measure! the Sanctuary<3485> of the God and the Altar[Golden Altar] and those worshiping in it
2 and the Court/fold<833>[laver, altar of sacrifice/priests] outside of the Sanctuary, be casting-out!<1544> out-side<1854>, and no it thou should be measuring, that it was given to the nations
and the holy City they shall be treading forty two months.
====================
Herod's Temple:

herodTempleCourts1.jpg

upload_2019-8-14_13-52-31.png

The colored words are those depicted in Revelation 11:1-2
Studies In The Scriptures - Tabernacle Shadows - Chapter 1

The Camp/area outside of Temple
--The Gate--
The Temple Court--The Bronze Altar--The Water Laver
The Tabernacle--
The First Veil--
The Table--The Lampstand--
The Golden Altar--
The Second Veil
The Mercy Seat and Ark--
The Significance of These and Their Antitypes.

26d0ed9c05b6018bd620387168498aff.jpg

Revelation 11:1 Commentaries: Then there was given me a measuring rod like a staff; and someone said, "Get up and measure the temple of God and the altar, and those who worship in it.

Cambridge Bible for Schools and Colleges

the temple of God] The word used is not that for the whole “Temple-precinct,” but the “Temple” in the narrowest sense—what in the O. T. is called “the house” or “the palace.”

the altar] Being distinguished from the Temple, we should naturally think of the Altar of Burnt-offering which stood outside it: besides that this was, and the Altar of Incense was not, large enough to be measured by something longer than a foot-rule. But we saw on Revelation 6:9 that the Heavenly Temple apparently has no Altar of Burnt-offering distinct from the Altar of Incense: so the question only becomes important if we suppose the earthly Temple to be meant.

Is it then the heavenly or the earthly Temple that St John is bidden to measure? Probably the latter. Without pressing the argument from Revelation 10:9, that the seer is now on earth, it is hardly likely that, whereas in Ezekiel, Zechariah, and inf. Revelation 21:15 the measurement, not of the Temple only but of the Holy City, is the work of angels, it should here be ascribed to a man. But what is more decisive is, that the whole of this chapter describes God’s rebukes and correcting judgements on the city, the fate of which is connected with that of the Temple here named. This proves that it is the earthly city of God that is meant—and therefore probably the literal Jerusalem: for the Christian Church, imperfectly as it realises its divine ideal, does not appear to be dissociated from it in Scriptural typology or prophecy: “Jerusalem which is above … is the Mother of us all,” even now, and even now “our citizenship is in Heaven.”

and them that worship therein] Lit. in it, not “in them,” i.e. in the Temple, the mention of “the Altar” being parenthetical. But neither the Temple (in the narrower sense) nor the Altar was ordinarily a place of spiritual “worship,” but only of the ritual “service of God.”
Therefore the meaning of the Temple and Altar must be to some extent spiritualised: even if the prophecy be concerned with God’s judgements on Jerusalem and the Jewish people, we are not to understand that the actual Temple was to be spared (for we know it was not): but, most probably, that the true Israelites would not be cut off from communion with God, even when their city and the earthly splendours of their Temple were destroyed. Ezekiel 11:16 will thus illustrate the sense of the passage, though there does not appear to be a conscious reference to it.
======================
Pulpit Commentary
Verse 1. - And there was given me a reed like unto a rod. We are not told by whom the reed is given, but in Revelation 21. the angel has the reed, and so also in Ezekiel 40, upon which the incident seems founded (see Ezekiel 40; and cf. the reference to the outer court in ver. 17). The reed is "like a rod;" that is, like to a staff. It is for a measuring line, as in Zechariah 2:1. And the angel stood, saying. Omit all except "saying," as in the Revised Version. Λέγων is used absolutely, not as qualifying κάλαμος, "reed," as Andreas (cf. Revelation 4:1; Revelation 14:7; Revelation 19:6). Rise, and measure the temple of God; rather, rouse and measure, etc. The imperative verb does not imply anything as to the previous position of St. John. "The temple" is ναός, the shrine or dwelling place of God (as in ver. 19; also Revelation 3:12; Revelation 7:15), the inner temple, as distinguished from the outer court next mentioned. It scarcely seems possible to doubt that the temple is here figuratively used of the faithful portion of the Church of Christ. The word is plainly thus used in Revelation 3:12 and Revelation 7:15; and is frequently found with this signification in St. Paul's writings, which were probably known to St. John. Dusterdieck and others think that St. John refers literally to the temple at Jerusalem, and to the earthly Jerusalem. But, if so, this portion of the Apocalypse stands self condemned as a prediction which was falsified within a year or two of its enunciation; for in ver. 13 it is expressly stated that the tenth part of the city fell.

BABerean2

Site Supporter
May 21, 2014
North Carolina
✟893,665.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Which Temple/Court/Sanctuary is shown being measured in Revelation 11? Future or 70AD?
There are also some Christians that feel they must help the Jews build a Temple before Jesus returns.
Translation taken from the Textus Receptus
Discuss

Revelation 11:
1 And was given to me a reed like-as rod saying "rouse! and measure! the Sanctuary<3485> of the God and the Altar[Golden Altar] and those worshiping in it
2 and the Court/fold<833>[laver, altar of sacrifice/priests] outside of the Sanctuary, be casting-out!<1544> out-side<1854>, and no it thou should be measuring, that it was given to the nations
====================
Herod's Temple:

herodTempleCourts1.jpg

View attachment 261004
The colored words are those depicted in Revelation 11:1-2
Studies In The Scriptures - Tabernacle Shadows - Chapter 1

The Camp/area outside of Temple
--The Gate--
The Temple Court--The Bronze Altar--The Water Laver
The Tabernacle--
The First Veil--
The Table--The Lampstand--
The Golden Altar--
The Second Veil
The Mercy Seat and Ark--
The Significance of These and Their Antitypes.

26d0ed9c05b6018bd620387168498aff.jpg

Revelation 11:1 Commentaries: Then there was given me a measuring rod like a staff; and someone said, "Get up and measure the temple of God and the altar, and those who worship in it.

Cambridge Bible for Schools and Colleges

the temple of God] The word used is not that for the whole “Temple-precinct,” but the “Temple” in the narrowest sense—what in the O. T. is called “the house” or “the palace.”

the altar] Being distinguished from the Temple, we should naturally think of the Altar of Burnt-offering which stood outside it: besides that this was, and the Altar of Incense was not, large enough to be measured by something longer than a foot-rule. But we saw on Revelation 6:9 that the Heavenly Temple apparently has no Altar of Burnt-offering distinct from the Altar of Incense: so the question only becomes important if we suppose the earthly Temple to be meant.

Is it then the heavenly or the earthly Temple that St John is bidden to measure? Probably the latter. Without pressing the argument from Revelation 10:9, that the seer is now on earth, it is hardly likely that, whereas in Ezekiel, Zechariah, and inf. Revelation 21:15 the measurement, not of the Temple only but of the Holy City, is the work of angels, it should here be ascribed to a man. But what is more decisive is, that the whole of this chapter describes God’s rebukes and correcting judgements on the city, the fate of which is connected with that of the Temple here named. This proves that it is the earthly city of God that is meant—and therefore probably the literal Jerusalem: for the Christian Church, imperfectly as it realises its divine ideal, does not appear to be dissociated from it in Scriptural typology or prophecy: “Jerusalem which is above … is the Mother of us all,” even now, and even now “our citizenship is in Heaven.”

and them that worship therein] Lit. in it, not “in them,” i.e. in the Temple, the mention of “the Altar” being parenthetical. But neither the Temple (in the narrower sense) nor the Altar was ordinarily a place of spiritual “worship,” but only of the ritual “service of God.”
Therefore the meaning of the Temple and Altar must be to some extent spiritualised: even if the prophecy be concerned with God’s judgements on Jerusalem and the Jewish people, we are not to understand that the actual Temple was to be spared (for we know it was not): but, most probably, that the true Israelites would not be cut off from communion with God, even when their city and the earthly splendours of their Temple were destroyed. Ezekiel 11:16 will thus illustrate the sense of the passage, though there does not appear to be a conscious reference to it.
======================
Pulpit Commentary
Verse 1. - And there was given me a reed like unto a rod. We are not told by whom the reed is given, but in Revelation 21. the angel has the reed, and so also in Ezekiel 40, upon which the incident seems founded (see Ezekiel 40; and cf. the reference to the outer court in ver. 17). The reed is "like a rod;" that is, like to a staff. It is for a measuring line, as in Zechariah 2:1. And the angel stood, saying. Omit all except "saying," as in the Revised Version. Λέγων is used absolutely, not as qualifying κάλαμος, "reed," as Andreas (cf. Revelation 4:1; Revelation 14:7; Revelation 19:6). Rise, and measure the temple of God; rather, rouse and measure, etc. The imperative verb does not imply anything as to the previous position of St. John. "The temple" is ναός, the shrine or dwelling place of God (as in ver. 19; also Revelation 3:12; Revelation 7:15), the inner temple, as distinguished from the outer court next mentioned. It scarcely seems possible to doubt that the temple is here figuratively used of the faithful portion of the Church of Christ. The word is plainly thus used in Revelation 3:12 and Revelation 7:15; and is frequently found with this signification in St. Paul's writings, which were probably known to St. John. Dusterdieck and others think that St. John refers literally to the temple at Jerusalem, and to the earthly Jerusalem. But, if so, this portion of the Apocalypse stands self condemned as a prediction which was falsified within a year or two of its enunciation; for in ver. 13 it is expressly stated that the tenth part of the city fell.

Is the location of the temple found at the end of Revelation chapter 11?

Rev 11:19 Then the temple of God was opened in heaven, and the ark of His covenant was seen in His temple. And there were lightnings, noises, thunderings, an earthquake, and great hail.

Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Is the location of the temple found at the end of Revelation chapter 11?

Rev 11:19 Then the temple of God was opened in heaven, and the ark of His covenant was seen in His temple. And there were lightnings, noises, thunderings, an earthquake, and great hail.
Hello BAB. It is not the Temple that is opened.....The Greek word for Temple #2411 is never mentioned once in Revelation [except in flawed translations]
It is the Sanctuary in Heaven, not the earthly Sanctuary of the 70AD OC Temple of Jerusalem/Judea.

Revelation 11
:

Matthew 24:15
Whenever then ye may be seeing the abomination<946> of the desolation/ἐρημώσεως<2050>.......
Mark 13:14
Whenever yet ye may be seeing see the abomination<946> of the desolation/ἐρημώσεως<2050>
Luke 21:20
Whenever yet may be seeing the Jerusalem surrounded by war-troops,
then be knowing that come nigh desolating/ἐρήμωσις<2050> of Her

Revelation 18:16 and saying,
Woe! woe! the great City, that was having been arrayed..........
That to one hour was desolated<2049> the so much riches.

...........to be continued....................

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BABerean2

Site Supporter
May 21, 2014
North Carolina
✟893,665.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hello BAB. It is not the Temple that is opened.....The Greek word for Temple #2411 is never mentioned once in Revelation [except in flawed translations]
It is the Sanctuary in Heaven, not the earthly Sanctuary of the 70AD OC Temple of Jerusalem/Judea.

Revelation 11
:

Two different Greek words are translated as "temple" in the KJV.

hieron, and naos.

One can refer to the inner sanctuary, and the other often refers to the temple complex.

Revelation 11:19

(KJV+) AndG2532 theG3588 templeG3485 of GodG2316 was openedG455 inG1722 heaven,G3772 andG2532 there was seenG3700 inG1722 hisG848 templeG3485 theG3588 arkG2787 of hisG848 testament:G1242 andG2532 there wereG1096 lightnings,G796 andG2532 voices,G5456 andG2532 thunderings,G1027 andG2532 an earthquake,G4578 andG2532 greatG3173 hail.G5464

G3485
ναός
naos
nah-os'
From a primary word ναίω naiō (to dwell); a fane, shrine, temple: - shrine, temple. Compare G2411.
Total KJV occurrences: 46

Last edited:
Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Two different Greek words are translated as "temple" in the KJV.
hieron, and naos.

One can refer to the inner sanctuary, and the other often refers to the temple complex.
Revelation 11:19
(KJV+) AndG2532 theG3588 templeG3485 of GodG2316 was openedG455 inG1722 heaven,G3772
G3485 ναός naos nah-os'
From a primary word ναίω naiō (to dwell); a fane, shrine, temple: - shrine, temple. Compare G2411.
Total KJV occurrences: 46
Good info
YLT render that Greek word as "Sanctuary"

Genesis 1:1 (YLT)
G3485 ναός (naos), occurs 46 times in 40 verses in the Greek

The 1st occurance is when the father of John the Baptist is serving in the Holy Place as a priest

Luk 1:9
according to the custom of the priesthood, his lot was to make perfume, having gone into the Sanctuary of the Lord,

It is used in John 2 where Jesus references His body as the Sanctuary.
[Note also John references 46 yrs and that just happens to be how many times #3485 is used in the NT :idea:]

Jhn 2:20
The Jews, therefore, said, 'Forty and six years was this Sanctuary building, and wilt thou in three days raise it up?'
Mat 26:62 And the chief priest having stood up, said to him, 'Nothing thou dost answer! what do these witness against thee?
[Matthew 26:61 Mark 14:58]

Mat 27:51
and lo, the veil of the Sanctuary was rent in two from top unto bottom, and the earth did quake, and the rocks were rent, [Mark 15:38 Luke 23:45]

Last time used before Revelation:

2Th 2:4
who is opposing and is raising himself up above all called God or worshiped, so that he in the Sanctuary of God as God hath sat down, shewing himself off that he is God -- the day doth not come.
===================================
1st time used in Revelation

Rev 3:12
He who is overcoming -- I will make him a pillar in the Sanctuary of my God, and without he may not go any more, and I will write upon him the name of my God, and the name of the city of my God, the new Jerusalem, that doth come down out of the heaven from my God -- also my new name.

Last 2 times used:

Rev 16:17
And the seventh messenger did pour out his vial to the air, and there came forth a great voice from the Sanctuary of the heaven, from the throne, saying, 'It hath come!'

Rev 21:22
And a Sanctuary I did not see in it, for the Lord God, the Almighty, is its Sanctuary, and the Lambkin,
================================================
New House New Stones

I like studying about the Camp, Court and Tabernacle in the OT.
While I was recently reading thru this passage in Revelation 1, something just struck out at me.

Revelation 1:
10 I was in the Spirit on the Lord's Day, and I heard behind<3694> me a loud voice, as of a trumpet,
12 Then I turned<1994> to see the Voice that spoke with me.
And having turned<1994> I saw seven golden lampstands<3087>,
13 and in the midst of the seven lampstands [One] like the Son of Man, clothed with a garment down to the feet and girded about the chest with a golden band.
===================
I can vision John standing inside the holy place of a Tabernacle/Sanctuary. [John would probably be a Hebrew Jew and perhaps even of a priestly class].
While he is standing there, he hears a Voice BEHIND him.
He TURNS and sees Jesus in midst of lamp-stands. ["turn" can also mean convert]

Symbolically, in my view,

John would have been facing the OC Table of Showbread. ..North.
The Altar and inner curtain would have been on his left...West
Then be turns, facing Jesus and the lamp-stands...South
The outer veil/entrance would then be on his left .....East

In essence, John is first facing the Table of OC Show-bread
and when he turns, he sees the NC "Living Bread", Jesus,

John 6:
48 I AM the bread of life [in place of the OT manna].
51 I AM the living bread that came down from heaven.
If anyone eats of this bread, he will live forever.
And this bread, which I will give for the life of the world, is My flesh.”

I found this rather interesting video which helped me visualize the Camp, Court and inside of the Tabernacle. Pretty nice I think.......

Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Upvote 0

DavidPT

Sep 26, 2016
Texas
✟196,523.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
In the poll I chose other since I don't think it's even meaning a temple in the literal sense. But it does involve the future though. If I interpret the temple and city in the literal sense, this would mean I have to also interpret the 2Ws in the literal sense, which I don't, though there was a time years ago when I did.

Reactions: BABerean2
Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Revelation 11:
1 And was given to me a reed like-as rod saying "rouse! and measure! the Sanctuary<3485> of God and the Altar[Golden Altar] and those worshiping in it
2 and the Court/fold<833>[Priests/Lavar/Altar of Sacrifice] outside of the Sanctuary, be casting-out!<1544> out-side<1854> and no it thou should be measuring, that it was given to the Gentiles/Nations.
And the holy City they shall be treading<3961>forty two months.
======================
A more clearer drawing of Herod's Temple and Sanctuary.............shows 2 of the valleys around the the City............

According to this site, the City was built on 2 Mountains............

The Destruction of Jerusalem - George Peter Holford, 1805AD

Jerusalem was built on two mountains.
Three celebrated walls surrounded the city on every side, except that which was deemed inaccessible, and there it was defended by one wall only.

NRC1RMycmijxrQiU4xPqnD1o.jpeg

HerodsTemple700x200.jpg

valleys-jerusalem.jpg

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums