Which Reformed writings explain their premise that natural laws can decide Christian claims?

JM

Augsburg Catholic
Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2004
Canada
✟745,852.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
If I use the Bible as my starting point..

If you use just the Bible you will recognize that Apostolic gifts no longer exist and exorcisms as describe in the Bible are limited to the past. What I was referring to is the biblical practice explained in the quotes and links provided.

Yours in the Lord,

jm

Upvote 0

rakovsky

Apr 8, 2004
Pennsylvania
✟67,675.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
If you use just the Bible you will recognize that Apostolic gifts no longer exist and exorcisms as describe in the Bible are limited to the past. What I was referring to is the biblical practice explained in the quotes and links provided.

Yours in the Lord,

jm
When I go only by the Bible's words like:
And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues;... (Mark 16:17)

Or in Mark 9:38: And John answered him, saying, Master, we saw one casting out devils in thy name, and he followeth not us: and we forbad him, because he followeth not us.
9:39 But Jesus said, Forbid him not: for there is no man which shall do a miracle in my name, that can lightly speak evil of me.​

It makes me think that this was something that Christians and even some who don't follow Jesus could do, without limitation in time. It seems like just as then there were claims in the Bible by the Christian community that people cast out demons, there are Christian claims in the times after the apostles about this. There was not a time in 35-1500 AD when the Christian community collectively decided that casting out demons like the apostles did was over and done with.

When I go strongly by Reformed writings or by modern skepticism based on a sense of naturalism, it looks and sounds like it doesn't happen after about the end of the apostolic era or so.

And the issue isn't just the casting out of demons
but numerous other such cases where ancient people had different mindsets from Reformed in the modern era. Take for instance the story of God using the heaven or "firmament" to divide the waters in the creation of the world, such that there were waters above the "firmament":

Genesis 1 says:
6. And God said, Let there be a firmament in the midst of the waters, and let it divide the waters from the waters.
7. And God made the firmament, and divided the waters which were under the firmament from the waters which were above the firmament: and it was so.​

Then in verse 14 we read about the stars being "in" the firmament, as opposed to Genesis 7, where the waters are "above" the firmament.

otcosmos.jpg

geocentrism_01.gif

day-3_4-pic.jpg

And then we read in Genesis 7-8 about the Great Flood:
7:11 In the six hundredth year of Noah’s life, in the second month, in the seventeenth day of the month, on this day all the fountains of the great deep were broken up, and the windows of the heavens were opened.
8:2 And the fountains of the deep and the windows of the heavens were shut, and the rain was restrained from the heavens.

Psalm 148:4 says:
Praise Him, highest heavens, And the waters that are above the heavens!

If we take the Creation account at face value, it sounds like ancient people actually believed that there was a real firm substance, the firmament, separating the sky from the waters above the sky, and then when it rained, holes in the firmament opened up and water poured in.

Here is Calvin's commentary:
Moses describes the special use of this expanse, to divide the waters from the waters from which word arises a great difficulty. For it appears opposed to common sense, and quite incredible, that there should be waters above the heaven. Hence some resort to allegory, and philosophize concerning angels; but quite beside the purpose. For, to my mind, this is a certain principle, that nothing is here treated of but the visible form of the world. He who would learn astronomy, and other recondite arts, let him go elsewhere. Here the Spirit of God would teach all men without exception; and therefore what Gregory declares falsely and in vain respecting statues and pictures is truly applicable to the history of the creation, namely, that it is the book of the unlearned. The things, therefore, which he relates, serve as the garniture of that theater which he places before our eyes. Whence I conclude, that the waters here meant are such as the rude and unlearned may perceive. The assertion of some, that they embrace by faith what they have read concerning the waters above the heavens, notwithstanding their ignorance respecting them, is not in accordance with the design of Moses. And truly a longer inquiry into a matter open and manifest is superfluous. We see that the clouds suspended in the air, which threaten to fall upon our heads, yet leave us space to breathe.

See for example Brian Edgar's writing in the OP of this thread, where he wrote:
Contemporary ‘creationism’ which relies on literalistic interpretations of creation and the flood can find no support for their hermeneutical approach in John Calvin.

Upvote 0

JM

Augsburg Catholic
Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2004
Canada
✟745,852.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
Rak,

Are we still able to drink poison and handle serpents?

“And he said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature. He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned. And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues; They shall take up serpents; and if they drink any deadly thing, it shall not hurt them; they shall lay hands on the sick, and they shall recover.” Mark 16:15-18

In Acts 19 we read about “special miracles” performed by Paul and one of these unique miracles were exorcism.

Other scriptures that demonstrate the gifts were fading before 70AD. Healings and like had started to fade: Philippians 2:25-29; 2 Corinthians 12:9-10; 1 Timothy 5:23; Galatians 6:11; 2 Timothy 4:20

"The purpose of spiritual gifts was both so that the ones who were preaching the gospel would have the exact message from God to proclaim, and that the ones who were the listeners would know this revelation was from God and not man (read 1 Corinthians 2:1-5). Paul said that his "message and preaching were not in persuasive words of wisdom, but in demonstration of the Spirit and of power, that your faith should not rest on the wisdom of men, but on the power of God."

Don't ever wish you could go back to that time when they had spiritual gifts. Don't ever think that we have less than they did then. We have the PERFECT revelation from God. Desiring "spiritual gifts" is to desire to go back to looking through the "dark glass."

Spiritual gifts ceased because their need ceased. Some died instantly. The spiritual gifts of prophecies and knowledge was "done away" [katargeo]. When God finished His gospel to us there was no more need for thosespiritual gifts. These spiritual gifts stopped because God stopped revealing. His message was complete. Some spiritual gifts lingered for awhile and died of their own accord." (Source)

So, I would contend that "many false prophets are gone out into the world" and "there were false prophets also among the people, even as there shall be false teachers among you" who taught false doctrines or held to a tradition when the word of God clearly stated something else.

Upvote 0

rakovsky

Apr 8, 2004
Pennsylvania
✟67,675.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Rak,

Are we still able to drink poison and handle serpents?

“And he said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature. He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned. And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues; They shall take up serpents; and if they drink any deadly thing, it shall not hurt them; they shall lay hands on the sick, and they shall recover.” Mark 16:15-18

In Acts 19 we read about “special miracles” performed by Paul and one of these unique miracles were exorcism.

Other scriptures that demonstrate the gifts were fading before 70AD. Healings and like had started to fade: Philippians 2:25-29; 2 Corinthians 12:9-10; 1 Timothy 5:23; Galatians 6:11; 2 Timothy 4:20

"The purpose of spiritual gifts was both so that the ones who were preaching the gospel would have the exact message from God to proclaim, and that the ones who were the listeners would know this revelation was from God and not man (read 1 Corinthians 2:1-5). Paul said that his "message and preaching were not in persuasive words of wisdom, but in demonstration of the Spirit and of power, that your faith should not rest on the wisdom of men, but on the power of God."

Don't ever wish you could go back to that time when they had spiritual gifts. Don't ever think that we have less than they did then. We have the PERFECT revelation from God. Desiring "spiritual gifts" is to desire to go back to looking through the "dark glass."

Spiritual gifts ceased because their need ceased. Some died instantly. The spiritual gifts of prophecies and knowledge was "done away" [katargeo]. When God finished His gospel to us there was no more need for thosespiritual gifts. These spiritual gifts stopped because God stopped revealing. His message was complete. Some spiritual gifts lingered for awhile and died of their own accord." (Source)

So, I would contend that "many false prophets are gone out into the world" and "there were false prophets also among the people, even as there shall be false teachers among you" who taught false doctrines or held to a tradition when the word of God clearly stated something else.
If it were true that in 40 ad the Christians could take poison and serpents to prove to the nonchristians, then just going on the bible I would expect that christian missionaries could do it after the apostle times. You cited 1 Tim 4 saying that a Christian was sick, but the fact that some believers got sick doesn't show whether miracle healings never happened to others at that moment or later.

Mainstream Christians even today sometimes have sincete stories of healings after praying for other people. If you are saying that miracle healings like that today don't happen based on 1 Tim 4, or that Christians in 200 to 2016 ad never miraculously are protected from poison, it inclines me to think that it probably didn't happen in 40 ad either.

Upvote 0

JM

Augsburg Catholic
Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2004
Canada
✟745,852.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
The ancient writers did not speak with one voice as the EO claim. The unity is a false unity and found in ritual, not doctrine.

Basil wrote; "What then? After all these efforts were they tired? Did they leave off? Not at all. They are charging me with innovation, and base their charge on my confession of three hypostases, and blame me for asserting one Goodness, one Power, one Godhead. In this they are not wide of the truth, for I do so assert. Their complaint is that their custom does not accept this, and that Scripture does not agree. What is my reply? I do not consider it fair that the custom which obtains among them should be regarded as a law and rule of orthodoxy. If custom is to be taken in proof of what is right, then it is certainly competent for me to put forward on my side the custom which obtains here. If they reject this, we are clearly not bound to follow them. Therefore let God-inspired Scripture decide between us; and on whichever side be found doctrines in harmony with the word of God, in favour of that side will be cast the vote of truth." Letter 189

The question is, whose testimony or witness is true? Your tradition or scripture?

"If we receive the testimony of men, the testimony of God is greater, for this is the testimony of God that he has borne concerning his Son." 1 John 5:9

"For when God made a promise to Abraham, since he had no one greater by whom to swear, he swore by himself," Hebrews 6:13

I googled this up for you.

Justin Martyr (wrote after 151): The word of truth is free, and carries its own authority, disdaining to fall under any skilful argument, or to endure the logical scrutiny of its hearers. But it would be believed for its own nobility, and for the confidence due to Him who sends it. Now the word of truth is sent from God; wherefore the freedom claimed by the truth is not arrogant. For being sent with authority, it were not fit that it should be required to produce proof of what is said; since neither is there any proof beyond itself, which is God. For every proof is more powerful and trustworthy than that which it proves; since what is disbelieved, until proof is produced, gets credit when such proof is produced, and is recognised as being what it was stated to be. But nothing is either more powerful or more trustworthy than the truth; so that he who requires proof of this is like one who wishes it demonstrated why the things that appear to the senses do appear. For the test of those things which are received through the reason, is sense; but of sense itself there is no test beyond itself. As then we bring those things which reason hunts after, to sense, and by it judge what kind of things they are, whether the things spoken be true or false, and then sit in judgment no longer, giving full credit to its decision; so also we refer all that is said regarding men and the world to the truth, and by it judge whether it be worthless or no. But the utterances of truth we judge by no separate test, giving full credit to itself. And God, the Father of the universe, who is the perfect intelligence, is the truth. And the Word, being His Son, came to us, having put on flesh, revealing both Himself and the Father, giving to us in Himself resurrection from the dead, and eternal life afterwards. And this is Jesus Christ, our Saviour and Lord. He, therefore, is Himself both the faith and the proof of Himself and of all things. Wherefore those who follow Him, and know Him, having faith in Him as their proof, shall rest in Him. But since the adversary does not cease to resist many, and uses many and divers arts to ensnare them, that he may seduce the faithful from their faith, and that he may prevent the faithless from believing, it seems to me necessary that we also, being armed with the invulnerable doctrines of the faith, do battle against him in behalf of the weak. ANF: Vol. I, Fragments of the lost Work of Justin on the Resurrection, Chapter I.

Clement of Alexandria (150 - c. 215): The exercise of faith directly becomes knowledge, reposing on a sure foundation. Knowledge, accordingly, is defined by the sons of the philosophers as a habit, which cannot be overthrown by reason. Is there any other true condition such as this, except piety, of which alone the Word is teacher? I think not. Theophrastus says that sensation is the root of faith. For from it the rudimentary principles extend to the reason that is in us, and the understanding. He who believeth then the divine Scriptures with sure judgment, receives in the voice of God, who bestowed the Scripture, a demonstration that cannot be impugned. Faith, then, is not established by demonstration. "Blessed therefore those who, not having seen, yet have believed." ANF: Vol. II, The Stromata, Book II, Chapter II.""The Knowledge of God Can Be Attained Only Through Faith.

Clement of Alexandria (150 - c. 215): It will naturally fall after these, after a cursory view of theology, to discuss the opinions handed down respecting prophecy; so that, having demonstrated that the Scriptures which we believe are valid from their omnipotent authority, we shall be able to go over them consecutively, and to show thence to all the heresies one God and Omnipotent Lord to be truly preached by the law and the prophets, and besides by the blessed Gospel. Many contradictions against the heterodox await us while we attempt, in writing, to do away with the force of the allegations made by them, and to persuade them against their will, proving by the Scriptures themselves. ANF: Vol. II, The Stromata, Book IV, Chapter 1.

Lactantius (260-330): For since all error arises either from false religion or from wisdom, in refuting error it is necessary to overthrow both. For inasmuch as it has been handed down to us in the sacred writings that the thoughts of philosophers are foolish, this very thing is to be proved by fact and by arguments, that no one, induced by the honourable name of wisdom, or deceived by the splendour of empty eloquence, may prefer to give credence to human rather than to divine things. Which things, indeed, are related in a concise and simple manner. For it was not befitting that, when God was speaking to man, He should confirm His words by arguments, as though He would not otherwise be regarded with confidence: but, as it was right, He spoke as the mighty Judge of all things, to whom it belongs not to argue, but to pronounce sentence. He Himself, as God, is truth. But we, since we have divine testimony for everything, will assuredly show by how much surer arguments truth may be defended, when even false things are so defended that they are accustomed to appear true. Wherefore there is no reason why we should give so much honour to philosophers as to fear their eloquence. For they might speak well as men of learning; but they could not speak truly, because they had not learned the truth from Him in whose power it was. ANF: Vol. VII, The Divine Institutes, Book III, Chapter I. See also FC, Vol. 49, The Divine Institutes, Book III, Chapter 1 (Washington D.C.: The Catholic University Press, 1963), pp. 165-166.

Hilary of Poitiers (c 315-67): For he is the best student who does not read his thoughts into the book, but lets it reveal its own; who draws from it its sense, and does not import his own into it, nor force upon its words a meaning which he had determined was the right one before he opened its pages. Since then we are to discourse of the things of God, let us assume that God has full knowledge of Himself, and bow with humble reverence to His words. For He Whom we can only know through His own utterances is the fitting witness concerning Himself. NPNF2: Vol. IX, On the Trinity, Book I, §18.

Nemesius of Emesa (Late 4th Century): But for us the sufficient demonstration of the soul"(tm)s immortality is the teaching of Holy Scripture, which is self-authenticating because inspired of God. William Telfer, ed., The Library of Christian Classics, Vol. IV, Cyril of Jerusalem and Nemesius of Emesa: On the Nature of Man, Chapter 2 Of the soul (Philadelphia: The Westminster Press, 1955), p. 292. It is believed that Nemesius of Emesa wrote this work sometime between the years 392-400 AD (p. 206).

Epiphanius (310/320-403) expressed his belief that "the truth is self-authenticating and cannot be overthrown even if wickedness shamelessly opposes the precept of truth;" Frank Williams, trans., The Panarion of Epiphanius of Salamis, Books II and III (Sects 47-80, De Fide), 66. Against Manichaeans, 10,4 (Leiden: E.J. Brill, 1994), p. 230.

Augustine (354-430) stated explicitly that "œthe truth is sufficient for its own testimony." NPNF1: Volume VII, Tractates on John, Tractate 7, §16, John 1:34-51. Latin text: sufficit sibi ad testimonium suum veritas. In Joannis Evangelium, Tractatus VII, 16, PL 35:1445.

Salvian the Presbyter (5th century): I need not prove by arguments what God Himself proves by His own words. When we read that God says He perpetually sees the entire earth, we prove thereby that He does see it because He Himself says He sees it. When we read that He rules all things He has created, we prove thereby that He rules, since He testifies that He rules. When we read that He ordains all things by His immediate judgment, it becomes evident by this very fact, since He confirms that He passes judgment. All other statements, said by men, require proofs and witnesses. God"(tm)s word is His own witness, because whatever uncorrupted Truth says must be the undefiled testimony to truth. FC, Vol. 3, The Writings of Salvian, The Presbyter, The Governance of God, Book 5, §2 (New York: CIMA Publishing Co., Inc., 1947), pp. 68-69.

Therefore, when Calvin affirmed that "God alone is a fit witness of himself in his Word,"he was but echoing the patristic consensus itself, which recognized and submitted to the witness of God in Holy Scripture. Institutes, I.vii.4 or p. 79.

Allow me to highly recommend Luther's Commentary on Galatians for a better understanding of the time period you keep referring to:

"In spite of this emphatic denunciation so many accept the pope as the supreme judge of the Scriptures. “The Church,” they say, “chose only four gospels. The Church might have chosen more. Ergo the Church is above the Gospel.” With equal force one might argue: “I approve the Scriptures. Ergo I am above the Scriptures. John the Baptist confessed Christ. Hence he is above Christ.” Paul subordinates himself, all preachers, all the angels of heaven, everybody to the Sacred Scriptures. We are not the masters, judges, or arbiters, but witnesses, disciples, and confessors of the Scriptures, hither we be pope, Luther, Augustine, Paul, or an angel from heaven."
and

"These Jewish-Christian fanatics who pushed themselves into the Galatian churches after Paul’s departure, boasted that they were the descendants of Abraham, true ministers of Christ, having been trained by the apostles themselves, that they were able to perform miracles.

In every way they sought to undermine the authority of St. Paul. They said to the Galatians: “You have no right to think highly of Paul. He was the last to turn to Christ. But we have seen Christ. We heard Him preach. Paul came later and is beneath us. Is it possible for us to be in error—we who have received the Holy Ghost? Paul stands alone. He has not seen Christ, nor has he had much contact with the other apostles. Indeed, he persecuted the Church of Christ for a long time.”

When men claiming such credentials come along, they deceive not only the naive, but also those who seemingly are well-established in the faith. This same argument is used by the papacy.

“Do you suppose that God for the sake of a few Lutheran heretics would disown His entire Church? Or do you suppose that God would have left His Church floundering in error all these centuries?” The Galatians were taken in by such arguments with the result that Paul’s authority and doctrine were drawn in question." {end quote}

Now I understand that you are trying to use "Tradition" to figure out scripture. So which tradition?

The traditionalist will quote tradition to uphold their position and read into scripture what they find agreeable in their tradition, this is called eisogesis. You can quote Paul directing us to tradition but cannot tell us what tradition is. For example, the traditional Ethiopian OT canon contains 6 books more then the RC denomination. The RC's have 9 more then the Protestant and the Eastern Orthodox tradition has a different set of books based on the LXX.

Define tradition and tell us which tradition is correct?

The Syrian Orthodox denominational tradition exclude second Peter, second AND third John, Jude, and Revelation. The Tewahedo church tradition and the Coptic tradition are different as well.

Which tradition?

Upvote 0

JM

Augsburg Catholic
Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2004
Canada
✟745,852.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
If it were true that in 40 ad the Christians could take poison and serpents to prove to the nonchristians, then just going on the bible I would expect that christian missionaries could do it after the apostle times. You cited 1 Tim 4 saying that a Christian was sick, but the fact that some believers got sick doesn't show whether miracle healings never happened to others at that moment or later.

The passages cited demonstrate the gift of healing was fading...Paul couldn't heal them.

Upvote 0

rakovsky

Apr 8, 2004
Pennsylvania
✟67,675.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
The passages cited demonstrate the gift of healing was fading...Paul couldn't heal them.
It didn't say that Paul could not heal them or that the gift of healing was fading.
Jesus had more than twelve followers in his lifetime, and it never says that they never fell ill then.

Supposing that the gift of healing did fade in Paul's time, it never says that it faded so much as to vanish totally. Otherwise we are left with the question of whether when mainstream Christians pray for other Christians to get better from illness today they are just practicing superstition.
It seems like you would analogize the gift of healing to 1. the use of miracle relics in acts 19 and to 2. casting out demons like we read about in the bible. The Calvinist position seems to be that 1. and 2. are superstition when used today.

Upvote 0

JM

Augsburg Catholic
Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2004
Canada
✟745,852.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
rak,

Yesterday my Pastor preached from 2 Kingdoms 22 where we find David's song of deliverance. It was mentioned that in this portion of scripture David used hyperbole, mysticism and poetic language to God showing up to deliver David. What we were told through scripture were rational means by which God accomplished His perfect will, David viewed as "the earth rocking" and "the foundations of the world were laid bare" etc. What I'm saying is, Orthodoxy will accuse Reformed Christians as being overly rational when we are simply view scripture as it was intended to be understood. Orthodoxy reads the poetic lanague of David, for example, and turns it into some mystical experience that may or may not be true. If the experience related to us by Orthodox Christians doesn't add to what is revealed in scripture it is not needed and if it different from scripture it must be rejected as invalid.

Yours in the Lord,

jm

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

rakovsky

Apr 8, 2004
Pennsylvania
✟67,675.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
rak,

Yesterday my Pastor preached from 2 Kingdoms 22 where we find David's song of deliverance. It was mentioned that in this portion of scripture David used hyperbole, mysticism and poetic language to God showing up to deliver David. What we were told through scripture were rational means by which God accomplished His perfect will, David viewed as "the earth rocking" and "the foundations of the world were laid bare" etc. What I'm saying is, Orthodoxy will accuse Reformed Christians as being overly rational when we are simply view scripture as it was intended to be understood.
I think that when they differ on verses like we have been discussing, the Orthodox and Lutheran position is that the Reformed are not understanding the verses the way they were intended, even though the Reformed think that they are. One good example of this is when the famous 17th c. Reformed writer J Mede said that the Biblical demonic were simply mentally ill people. Another example is when Calvin said that the moving rock in 1 Cor 10 is a stream of water. I think what happened in such cases was that these Reformed writers had a more naturalistic perspective than people did in the 1st century, and they used that naturalism to anachronistically judge the intentions of the Biblical writers.

When it comes to psalms using fantasy poetic language, I think Orthodox/Lutherans will often agree with Reformed, but sometimes the Reformed will take their naturalistic bent too far even there, by earmy Chis tian standards. A good example is when Calvin says the title of the Messianuc Psalm 22 about the morning star has no prophetic meaning to Jesus, who is called the morning star in the NT. In his habit of downgrading orthodox and earlier christian mysticism, he says that his predecessors perplexed themselves about the title , but that instead we need to take the " simple natural" meaning of the title, ie it's just a coincidence.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

rakovsky

Apr 8, 2004
Pennsylvania
✟67,675.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
What we were told through scripture were rational means by which God accomplished His perfect will, David viewed as "the earth rocking" and "the foundations of the world were laid bare" etc.

Calvin took the depiction of the earth literally in his commentary on Psalm 104:

"5 He hath founded the earth upon its foundations

Here the prophet celebrates the glory of God, as manifested in the stability of the earth. Since it is suspended in the midst of the air, and is supported only by pillars of water, how does it keep its place so steadfastly that it cannot be moved? This I indeed grant may be explained on natural principles; for the earth, as it occupies the lowest place, being the center of the world, naturally settles down there. But even in this contrivance there shines forth the wonderful power of God. Again, if the waters are higher than the earth, because they are lighter, why do they not cover the whole earth round about? "
Calvin continues in that vein, making insults against those who disagree with his understanding of geology.

Nowadays I think conservative Reformed are more likely to say that this depiction of the earth in Psalms was only poetic and that there are not just waters or pillars under the earth.

This line of questioning may lead also to the tangential question of biblical factual inerrancy. For example, if we didn't know modern geology and read the Bible verses on the pillars and waters under the earth, the great flood, the flat earth, the sun moving around the earth, etc., would we agree with Calvin that those passages were factually true and intended as such?

It seems that nowadays we know better about geology and so mainstream Christians are more likely to call such passages poetry and intentional metaphors, or else myths with unintended factual mistakes. Conservative Reformed though tend to work hard to avoid calling biblical geology factual mistakes though. Considering his diatribes against heliocentrism, it would be interesting how Calvin would have viewed his writings on these topics centuries later.

Namely, would he say that he misread the Bible or that he read it correctly, but that the Bible contained mistaken ideas on such topics.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

JM

Augsburg Catholic
Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2004
Canada
✟745,852.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
You may be correct, Lutherans are just as far off as Orthodoxy, but their agreement could also mean both are using a philosophically Greek/Roman manner of understanding scripture rather than a biblical one. The mind that produced Traditionalism is still very strong in Lutheran thinking and they won't deny it. Reformed folks see no need to retreat into our imaginations to conjure up reasons for denying natural means and I think that's the difference. Reformed Christians think biblically, scripturally, we seek to think God's thoughts after Him. We see no need to retreat into mysticism. Any thoughts on scripture revealing God through rational means while David was using poetry, mystical flare and illusion to express his subjective feelings of his deliverance?

Yours in the Lord,

jm

Upvote 0

rakovsky

Apr 8, 2004
Pennsylvania
✟67,675.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Reformed folks see no need to retreat into our imaginations to conjure up reasons for denying natural means and I think that's the difference. Reformed Christians think biblically, scripturally, we seek to think God's thoughts after Him. We see no need to retreat into mysticism.
A problem with what you have just said is that the Bible, particularly the prophetic passages are mystical.

Mysticism (Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy), plato.stanford.edu/entries/mysticism/,
"The term 'mysticism,' comes from the Greek μυω, meaning “to conceal"​

Take for example Psalm 22. The chapter itself never directly says that it is about Jesus of Nazareth or even that it is about the Messiah. And how could David know that the Messiah would have the experience that he exactly described in the Psalm?
The early Christians who wrote the Bible saw the Psalms as prophecy. This is also how they interpreted Psalm 16 in Acts when they said that Jesus' body didn't decay.

There are many other such passages like Jonah's story of three days in the whale.

That is, concealed in the prophetic passages are mystical prophecies of Christ.

To read in the Messianic (and the early Christians considered this chapter Messianic) title that Psalm 22 is to be on the "Morning Star", which Jesus is repeatedly called in the NT, and to then associate that title with Jesus is "thinking Biblically, scripturally", and Mystically. For Calvin to see Jesus' name "Morning Star" in the title of the Messianic Psalm 22 and to demand reading "Morning Star" as a "simple, natural meaning" that it is just a random meaningless coincidence is thinking naturalistically and materialistically.

When it comes to the supernatural (including prophecies of Christ), "Reformed" mentality is in transition between the old, Biblical/Orthodox/Lutheran/early Christian mentality and the Unitarian/Age of Reason/naturalistic mentality.

Upvote 0

rakovsky

Apr 8, 2004
Pennsylvania
✟67,675.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Any thoughts on scripture revealing God through rational means while David was using poetry, mystical flare and illusion to express his subjective feelings of his deliverance?
(A) David wrote poetry in Psalm 16 that the Holy one's flesh would not decay, and that for this reason David's flesh rejoiced.
Then in Acts the apostles used reasoning or rational means to say that since David's own body decayed, David must have been talking of his seed from his body, the Messiah, whose body did not decay.
So David was inspired to write poetry, and based on the poetry the apostles used rational means to reach Messianic conclusions.

(B) Following this Biblical method, one can say that David wrote that his messianic Psalm 22 was on the Morning Star, and since the Messiah is called the Morning Star in Revelation and 2 Peter, one can use rational means to conclude that a mention of a morning star in a Messianic passage is also a reference to the Messiah who goes by that title.

In the gospels, Jesus said to search the scriptures to see how they predict Him. If we limit ourselves to only those particular OT passages or verses that the NT explicitly says are Messianic (namely, A and NOT B above), we miss out on the NT method of interpreting passages as messianic. Actually, that's true for modern Judaism too - they see lots of Psalm and other OT passages as Messianic, even ones that the NT does not explicitly say are Messianic.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

JM

Augsburg Catholic
Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2004
Canada
✟745,852.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
A problem with what you have just said is that the Bible, particularly the prophetic passages are mystical.

Mysticism (Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy), plato.stanford.edu/entries/mysticism/,

"The term 'mysticism,' comes from the Greek μυω, meaning “to conceal"

Ahh, we have a misunderstanding.

I was referring to the mystical approach to the Christian faith directly related to a an overuse of apophatic theology. Especially the similarities between Eastern Orthodoxy, Hinduism and Taoism (mainly Advaita Vedanta). Orthodoxy retreats to mystical non-duality separating the intellect from matter, or the mind from the body. This boarders on Gnosticism and can be seen in the practice of the Jesus Prayer where the person praying is absorbed into the Godhead through subjective experience that may be confirmed later by a "spiritual teacher."

Is Reformed theology overly rational? Many disagree with rak.

The irrationality of Reformed Theology:

https://credohouse.org/blog/the-irrationality-of-calvinism

http://www.reclaimingthemind.org/blog/2008/11/why-calvinism-is-the-least-rational-option/

https://arminianperspectives.wordpress.com/category/the-irrationality-of-calvinism/

Maybe Barth is correct when stating that all dogma, all doctrinal teaching must be rational to be intelligible? Christianity is confessional, creedal and therefore not against using our God given facilities. One writer put it this way, “Christianity is above reason, but not against reason.”

http://evangelicalcalvinist.blogspot.ca/2012/06/rational-v-rationalism-in-theology-of.html

Reformed theology is the most consistent form of Christian thinking, it deals with the Bible and history in a consistent manner. It is the most logical, using biblical logic and not rational-ism of the 17th century, (having existed before the Enlightenment period) even though we are accused of it. For these reasons people will claim we are overly rational, unloving, unkind, too strict, joyless, etc. Others will accuses us of being irrational, illogical, etc. So, what’s my point? My point is rak is just offering opinions and everyone has one. Reformed theology is strictly biblical and this will draw the ire from many who fail to use a biblical perspective when conducting their theological and historical inquiries into the Christian faith. The underlying issue is the Eastern idea of apostolic succession, the apostolic age and revelation. They fail to see the power to cast out demons was given to the Apostles, ended in that age and we believe this using scriptura alone. Why did Mede and many others deny modern exorcisms? Well, rak has already posted why, it was due to the closing of the apostolic period and not “materialism” or “rationalism” as he would have you believe.

Besides, how far away from rationalism is rak anyway?

Doesn’t rak declare, “my study of history determines the true church.”

Isn’t that being rational?

The difference is rak is being cut off from the infallible word of God, left to fallible men and his fallible use of deduction to determine his dogma of the church.

Even with rak’s use of rational thinking you cannot hold to, with any certainty, that his church, the Eastern Orthodox church, is the true church.

No, the charge against Reformed Theology cannot hold up. “Calvin was the best theologian and exegete among the Reformers. He never abused reason, like Luther, but assigned it the office of an indispensable handmaid of revelation.”

Yours in the Lord,

jm

Upvote 0

rakovsky

Apr 8, 2004
Pennsylvania
✟67,675.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Why did Mede and many others deny modern exorcisms? Well, rak has already posted why, it was due to the closing of the apostolic period and not “materialism” or “rationalism” as he would have you believe.

...No, the charge against Reformed Theology cannot hold up. “Calvin was the best theologian and exegete among the Reformers. He never abused reason, like Luther, but assigned it the office of an indispensable handmaid of revelation.”

Yours in the Lord,

jm
Reformed theologian J Mede said that demoniacs in the Bible were just mentally ill people. He was not talking about a difference between the NT Era and the time after the closing of the NT. He said about demoniacs in the Bible
"they are none other than such as we call madmen and lunatics".

For Mede, when the Bible said that people had demons, it meant that they were crazy and didn't have actual demon beings with names and consciousness.

This is a good example of a pattern of materialistic rationalizing in the Reformed movement.

Mede and his supporters might propose that their thinking is "biblical", but the truth is that the earlier generations of Christians who thought that demoniacs were really possessed by real demon beings shared the same mentality as the Bible writers on the question.

When someone has intense skepticism about the supernatural, Reformed demystification and disenchantment of the scriptures looks like the reasonable, rational approach. However, it's not really Biblical because the Bible's audience was meant to believe in supernatural things like demon possession.

Upvote 0

JM

Augsburg Catholic
Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2004
Canada
✟745,852.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
Eastern Orthodox theologian/monk/priest Seraphim Rose said that our souls after death linger for a period of time and are tested or tormented by demons so they may take our souls to Hades. He was not using scripture, but a tradition found in Egyptian and forms of early Gnosticism. Rose quotes another theologian to support his Gnosticism, "For the testing of souls as they pass through the spaces of the air there have been established by the dark powers separate judgment places and guards in a remarkable order. In the layers of the under-heaven, from earth to heaven itself, stand guarding legions of fallen spirits. Each division is in charge of a special form of sin and tests the soul in it when the soul reaches this division. The aerial demonic guards and judgment places are called in the patristic writing the toll-houses, and the spirits who serve in them are called tax-collectors."

For Rose, when the Bible said that "to be absent from the body is to be present with the Lord," due to the Eastern manner of apoptotic theology, he overly spiritualized the text. The original audience would have understood the soul to be in the presence of God after death without any insertion demonic Toll Houses. The martyrs of the faith would never have understood the teaching Rose puts forward and it is inconceivable that someone dying in faith would then be tested by demons. Rose uses a late subjective experience of non-inspired writers to build his doctrine, the subjective logic of Toll houses cannot be found in scripture. Gnosticism influenced Rose, just as it influenced Greek culture and was later exported to Russian.

This is a good example of a pattern of mystical rationalizing in the Eastern Orthodox denomination.

Rose and his supporters might propose that their thinking is "Christian," but the truth is that the earlier generations of Christians, the Christians to whom the Bible was originally written, really believe that Christ Jesus and His death was sufficient to merit their salvation. Eastern Orthodoxy teaches that one must continue to work for salvation even after death!

When someone has intense skepticism about the material world (this is Gnosticism), Eastern Orthodoxy inserts subjectiveness and disenchantment of the scriptures. They cannot trust the scriptures because they are materially revealed to us. When scripture reads, "These things have I written unto you that believe on the name of the Son of God; that ye may know that ye have eternal life..." (1 John 5.13) Orthodoxy tells us just the opposite and denies scripture in doing so. At first glance it looks like a humble, unassuming approach, but denies the clear revelation of God.

Now, I did what rak has been doing to us for a while now, cherry picking.

Enjoy your evening folks.

Yours in the Lord,

jm

Upvote 0

rakovsky

Apr 8, 2004
Pennsylvania
✟67,675.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Now, I did what rak has been doing to us for a while now, cherry picking.

Enjoy your evening folks.

Yours in the Lord,

jm
Reformed makes enough "cherries" that nonReformed, not just Orthodox, commonly note that it takes a naturalistic step away from the supernatural mindset of the 1st century Christians. We are talking about a whole cherry tree, with disenchantment of mysticism from Zwingli on the Eucharist to the new Protestant Study Bibles on Isaiah 53 being cherries.

Agnostics like Taylor whom I cited elsewhere in his book Secular Age have also noted the major contribution Calvin made to disenchantment of Christian ideas and concepts of sanctity.

Even if your claims of Rose were characteristic of Orthodoxy, it in no way contradicts the topic of this thread, the materialistic steps and criticisms of what are in fact early Christian ideas about the supetnatural.

Upvote 0

JM

Augsburg Catholic
Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2004
Canada
✟745,852.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
Rak, I only wanted the best for you, I wanted you to read several Reformed commentators and get a feel for Reformed theology. Instead you picked a few bad examples and tried to make them representative of Reformed theology. You missed the process that is needed to understand our biblical mindedness.

Another example;

Eastern Orthodox theologian and monk Philotheus of Pskov (1510), “Two Romes have fallen. The third stands. And there will be no fourth. No one shall replace your Christian Tsardom!” Philotheus was referring to Grand Duke Vasili III. Russian Orthodox still believe this today, just watch the news and you’ll see Putin striving to create a “Third Rome.” In Orthodoxy, especially Russian, they believe that Russia replaced Rome and Constantinople as the centre for Orthodoxy. For Philotheus and many other Orthodox Christians, this teaching meant that throughout the course of history a King must be head of the State and church, working in co-operation with the hierarchy of the Orthodox system of church government.

This is a good example of a pattern of human doctrine being imported into the Christian faith in the Eastern church. Due to their inability, their almost relativistic understanding of knowledge and the world around them, they are able to create a system that is completely alien to holy scripture.

Phiilotheus and believers of like mind might propose that their thinking is "biblical,” even historical, but the truth is that the earlier generations of Christians who thought the State was a separate sphere of influence from the church, would never have thought Russian was their friend let alone a “Third Rome.” Rome was the source of the churches troubles not their salvation.

When someone has intense skepticism about the material world and therefore God’s self-revelation in written form, the Orthodox tend to mystification and disenchantment of the scriptures. They believe that being reasonable, handing the scripture and thinking God’s thoughts after Him, is nonsense. However, it's not really historical and therefore cannot be Biblical because the Bible's audience was meant to believe with knowledge the supernatural things around them. Christians were told to, “study to shew thyself approved…” That was the purpose of God revealing Himself to the church in scripture which the Eastern church is missing out on.[end]

Now, you and I know that many Orthodox Christians believe in a Third Rome and Ariel Toll Houses. You and I both know they are not representative of Orthodoxy but I use them to illustrate the point.

Yours in the Lord,

jm

Upvote 0