Which political party is more consistent with scriptural teaching?

Which political party is more consistent with scriptural teaching?

• The Republican Party

• The Democratic Party

Results are only viewable after voting.

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,475,516.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Your sources must be from liberal revisionists who want to castigate the Middle Ages as barbaric and backwards. Those days were actually the most godly of days during Christendom’s history.

And the Poes just keep on coming.

Upvote 0

Junker P Hoodwink

Nov 26, 2018
TX
✟21,898.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
And the Poes just keep on coming.

Quit calling me a Poe. I’m genuine, not fake. Why do you think that just because someone is traditional-minded and holy that he must be a so-called Poe?

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,237,264.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Why would pro-life voters quit voting Republican if abortion were made illegal? That doesn't make sense.
Makes plenty of sense. Some of us would be Democrats except for the Democratic Party stands on marriage and on abortion. We aren't Democrats because they are dead wrong on those two positions. But if they were permanently resolved in the correct direction, why be for the party that is anti-environmental just because they got abortion outlawed? Some sort of gratitude? Outlawing abortion would change the calculus. Going back to marriage as one man and one woman would change the calculus too (although the Republicans have zero expressed interest in changing that). And that calculus change would mean many of us who have supported the Republican party loyally for years would no longer have a reason to do so other than inertia. It is all about inertia and maintaining power anyhow, not in bettering society. Which is why neither party is worthy of a vote. Not the Party of Death, nor the Pretend Opposition Party. Sorry. Time for some real change.

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,237,264.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Quit calling me a Poe. I’m genuine, not fake. Why do you think that just because someone is traditional-minded and holy that he must be a so-called Poe?
With a moniker of 'hoodwink' one wonders.

Upvote 0

Hazelelponi

:sighing:
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
USA
✟691,075.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Explain why my views are so bad if that’s what you think.

First, your romanticizing (spelling?) The middle ages. Anytime people are murdered for not following another mans beliefs its a horrible thing.

You call what happened in Dresden a crime against humanity which was a war strategy (likely one that led to ending the war) yet think it's fine to burn people at the stake for not following your particular faith. Kind of odd isn't it, that you don't see a problem there. Is your name Torquemada or something?

Anything that is not of God is of man or Satan.

Anything that is expressly against God is anti-Christ.

Setting up a Kingdom on earth, when Jesus expressly said that wasn't the point of His coming and against His Will for us, is anti-Christ - quite literally.

When there is no demonstrable difference between our faith and the faith of, say, the Taliban, we are no longer following Christ. We have gone off the rails. During most of those middle ages that your so romanticising, Muslims owned Spain and were invading France. The inquisition was a backlash against the Muslims using Muslims own methods against everyone that wasn't Catholic. It was literally, the Islamification of Catholicism.

Not something to romanticize or idolize in one's thoughts, and most certainly not something we should repeat if we are truly Christian. Our aim should always be to show Christ, and Christ and our God has nothing in common with the god of Islam. Can you point out where Christ burned anyone at the stake?

I think not.

Upvote 0

Junker P Hoodwink

Nov 26, 2018
TX
✟21,898.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
First, your romanticizing (spelling?) The middle ages. Anytime people are murdered for not following another mans beliefs its a horrible thing.

You call what happened in Dresden a crime against humanity which was a war strategy (likely one that led to ending the war) yet think it's fine to burn people at the stake for not following your particular faith. Kind of odd isn't it, that you don't see a problem there. Is your name Torquemada or something?

Anything that is not of God is of man or Satan.

Anything that is expressly against God is anti-Christ.

Setting up a Kingdom on earth, when Jesus expressly said that wasn't the point of His coming and against His Will for us, is anti-Christ - quite literally.

When there is no demonstrable difference between our faith and the faith of, say, the Taliban, we are no longer following Christ. We have gone off the rails. During most of those middle ages that your so romanticising, Muslims owned Spain and were invading France. The inquisition was a backlash against the Muslims using Muslims own methods against everyone that wasn't Catholic. It was literally, the Islamification of Catholicism.

Not something to romanticize or idolize in one's thoughts, and most certainly not something we should repeat if we are truly Christian. Our aim should always be to show Christ, and Christ and our God has nothing in common with the god of Islam. Can you point out where Christ burned anyone at the stake?

I think not.

The problem with your post is that you are scrutinizing the bad aspects of the Spanish Inquisition and ignoring the good aspects of it, namely the godliness that ensued from that holy regime. It wasn't long thereafter until Spain began to explore the New World and conquer large amounts of land there. The inhabitants of those lands were horrifically ungodly, to say the least. They practiced human sacrifice and other monstrous practices. These savages desperately needed the redeeming power of Christ in their lives. Once Spain conquered those lands, the light of the Holy Spirit followed, and now Jesus reigns supreme in the Hispanic countries. If it weren’t Spain, this godly event in Christian history never would have happened.

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,144.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Jesus would vote Republican if he were a US citizen. The GOP is the pro-life party. What kind of savior would Christ be if he were pro-abortion?

Being anti-abortion is not the same thing as being pro-life.

Pro-life can't mean being pro-war.
Pro-life can't mean being pro-death penalty.
Pro-life can't mean being against the poor, the immigrant, the widow, the orphan, and the least of these.
Pro-life can't mean being against God's creation.
Pro-life can't mean being pro-violence.

When the GOP decides to be more than simply anti-abortion, and actually becomes pro-life, let me know.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,144.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
The problem with your post is that you are scrutinizing the bad aspects of the Spanish Inquisition and ignoring the good aspects of it, namely the godliness that ensued from that holy regime. It wasn't long thereafter until Spain began to explore the New World and conquer large amounts of land there. The inhabitants of those lands were horrifically ungodly, to say the least. They practiced human sacrifice and other monstrous practices. These savages desperately needed the redeeming power of Christ in their lives. Once Spain conquered those lands, the light of the Holy Spirit followed, and now Jesus reigns supreme in the Hispanic countries. If it weren’t Spain, this godly event in Christian history never would have happened.

Possible Poe.

-CryptoLutheran

• Optimistic
Reactions: The Barbarian
Upvote 0

RDKirk

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,475,516.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
According to the Jewish historian Josephus, four main Jewish groups existed at the time of Christ—the Pharisees, the Sadducees, the Essenes, and the Zealots. There were also the Romans.

Christ to the Pharisees: "Woe be unto you!"
Christ to the Sadducees: "You don't even know the scriptures."
Christ to the Romans: "You would have no power over me if it were not given to you from above."

So He wasn't in any of those parties. We don't know that He had any direct words to Essenes or the Zealots, and there are people who claim He was a member of each--they were both fringe parties.

But He didn't act like He was a member of either the Essenes or the Zealots. He did't separate Himself from sinners as an Essene would be careful to do, and He said not a single word in direct rebellion against the Romans.

Jesus would not join any party invented by men. He'd create His own party.

Which...He did.

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,475,516.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

The point of Poe's Law is that the post is so over-the-top that person might be genuine. Or might not. One can't tell.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

tulc

loves "SO'S YER MOM!! posts!
May 18, 2002
✟271,570.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
As someone who comes out of the Anabaptist traditions I could point out: the Inquisition was no friend of ours. In fact, hating/persecuting Anabaptist's was almost the only thing Roman Catholics and Protestants could agree on. :sigh:
tulc(is just sayn') :sorry:

Upvote 0

Hazelelponi

Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
USA
✟691,075.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
The problem with your post is that you are scrutinizing the bad aspects of the Spanish Inquisition and ignoring the good aspects of it, namely the godliness that ensued from that holy regime.

Things are either godly or their not.. What your saying is like saying "it was kinda godly, maybe a little bit godly.... God's a mixed bag of godliness and satanic practice, you know, He gets it right sometimes, wrong sometimes, burning the occasional heretic, massacring the occasional village ... ."

Not my God.

It wasn't long thereafter until Spain began to explore the New World and conquer large amounts of land there.

Your right, and then they started massacring everything in sight. They even killed French Huguenots just for being protestant, thats how they came to own St. Augustine.

And then when they ran out of Huguenots to kill they started killing Indians or making slaves out of them. That was the choice die or be made a slave.

If that's your god I want no part of it.

The inhabitants of those lands were horrifically ungodly, to say the least. They practiced human sacrifice and other monstrous practices. These savages desperately needed the redeeming power of Christ in their lives. Once Spain conquered those lands, the light of the Holy Spirit followed, and now Jesus reigns supreme in the Hispanic countries. If it weren’t Spain, this godly event in Christian history never would have happened.

What planet are you on? Have you ever been to central America? God reigns there? I mean seriously, do you know what a newspaper looks like?

If the light of the Holy Spirit was found in these Hispanic countries like you say, they would be the light of Christ to the world, yet, they are among some of the most corrupt of 3rd world nations, worse than even Islamic countries.

They are leaving there in droves, herds coming up from Mexico to get away from there, to get ANYWHERE else..

That place has been littered with bodies rotting in the sun since the conquistadors first set a mail clad foot on the shore.

Not a shining example to the world of my God.

My God allows the freedom of men.. He didn't force me to worship Him, He made an offer in love. Showed me who He was in love, a beautiful contrast to the god of this world. A beacon in the darkness. He's not some mixed bag of good and bad. He's good.

Your god, isn't the same as my own. Mine doesn't have human frailties, nor make mistakes.

Upvote 0

Hazelelponi

Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
USA
✟691,075.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

Pro-life can't mean being against the poor, the immigrant, the widow, the orphan, and the least of these.

When the GOP decides to be more than simply anti-abortion, and actually becomes pro-life, let me know.

-CryptoLutheran

And this is where your side is just as incorrect as the "Christian right".

This nation is a sovereign nation. As such there are borders to defend, and a nation to run overall. It's also the wealthiest nation on earth.

If we let everyone in who wants in, we won't have a nation tommorow...

This is why as a nation we adopted the practice of helping nations to be more "people freindly", so that instead of people wanting to immigrate here they had a country of their own which was good.

Many people don't like that, so I'm all for withdrawing from that policy, but don't think I'll let everyone in the world into this one instead.

The GOP isn't wrong in many aspects. This nation isn't our local church, and while we can't allow the establishment of religion, neither can we implement church policy on a national scale - it doesn't work if your going to be a nation.

Upvote 0

Sparagmos

Oct 19, 2018
Portland, Oregon
✟278,062.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Glad to know you prefer godless secularism.
Was your entire purpose of starting this thread to make comments like that? Just accuse anyone who disagrees with you of extreme opinions they don’t hold? You are doing the same thing on another thread you started.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Shiloh Raven

May 14, 2016
Texas
✟228,180.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

-CryptoLutheran

Well said! I couldn't have said it better myself. And on that thought, I would like to share the following quote. I think this Catholic nun correctly sums up much of the right wing pro-life movement.

CatholicNun.jpg

Upvote 0

Junker P Hoodwink

Nov 26, 2018
TX
✟21,898.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Was your entire purpose of starting this thread to make comments like that? Just accuse anyone who disagrees with you of extreme opinions they don’t hold? You are doing the same thing on another thread you started.

All I did was express my dumbfounded feelings that a Christian would support secularism. Is that a crime?

Upvote 0

Shiloh Raven

May 14, 2016
Texas
✟228,180.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Bingo. I think you nailed it.

Upvote 0

Junker P Hoodwink

Nov 26, 2018
TX
✟21,898.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Bingo. I think you nailed it.

Do you really think it’s appropriate for a Christian to support godless secularism? Jesus said that he is the way, the truth, and the life; that no one comes to God but through him (John 14:6). Scripture affirms that Christianity is the one true faith, which is to say that our religion ought to be favored by governments that wish to adhere to scriptural teaching. I realize that the First Amendment says that the United States shouldn’t favor one faith over another, but so what? It’s more important that we adhere to God’s word, not the word of secular men.

Upvote 0