Which Part of TULIP Do You Have the Most Trouble With?

Sola1517

Saint-in-Progress (Looking for a Church)
Jun 27, 2016
Don't ask
✟20,250.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
For me it's Unconditional Election. I just don't see how that's in the Bible. The rest of TULIP checks out for me. If election is unconditional there is no reason why God would choose any sinner for redemption.

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Having looked at all 5 points, I cannot pick out one as most troublesome. They all are interdependent. So I am bothered by them all.

Upvote 0

Thursday

Jan 12, 2016
Texas
✟49,429.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
For me it's Unconditional Election. I just don't see how that's in the Bible. The rest of TULIP checks out for me. If election is unconditional there is no reason why God would choose any sinner for redemption.

I agree. If there are no conditions on salvation then what is the point of life on earth?

Upvote 0

dogs4thewin

dog lover
Christian Forums Staff
Hands-on Trainee
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2012
Georgia U.S. State
✟896,521.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Unconditional election and preserve of the saints if EITHER of these are true what is the point of sharing the gospel and of having free will.

Reactions: victorinus
Upvote 0

RC1970

post tenebras lux
Jul 7, 2015
✟80,684.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
The interesting thing is that if you reject any of the five points, you must reject them all, for they are all logically consistent.

For instance, if man is totally depraved (sin has contaminated every part of his humanity) on what basis could God choose anyone except unconditionally?

Furthermore, if God chooses conditionally (seeing some good in man) how could you say he is total depraved?

Upvote 0

dogs4thewin

dog lover
Christian Forums Staff
Hands-on Trainee
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2012
Georgia U.S. State
✟896,521.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
The interesting thing is that if you reject any of the five points, you must reject them all, for they are all logically consistent.

For instance, if man is totally depraved (sin has contaminated every part of his humanity) on what basis could God choose anyone except unconditionally?

Furthermore, if God chooses conditionally (seeing some good in man) how could you say he is total depraved?
conditionally as in if they are willing to accept the gift.

Upvote 0

98cwitr

Lord forgive me
Apr 20, 2006
Raleigh, NC
✟449,894.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Limited atonement by a mile.

Yeah I would agree, but it's simply a perception in either camp. It's basically saying that Christ's blood was spilled for the non-elect as well, which essentially means Christ's blood failed to save all it was intended by God for, which challenges God's Omniscience, Sovereignty, and Christ's power to save. That said, the Bible clearly says that Christ died "not just for us, but for the sins of the world." Which I think it a solid refutation of Limited Atonement theology as it is preached today.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

John Hyperspace

UnKnown ReMember
Oct 3, 2016
Hyperspace
✟35,143.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Yeah I would agree, but it's simply a perception in either camp. It's basically saying that Christ's blood was spilled for the non-elect as well, which essentially means Christ's blood failed to save all it was intended by God for, which challenges God's Omniscience, Sovereignty, and Christ's power to save. That said, the Bible clearly says that Christ died "not just for us, but for the sins of the world." Which I think it a solid refutation of Limited Atonement theology as it is preached today.

But then there's a third camp: 1 Timothy 4:10: but talk of happy endings are frowned upon and forbidden in these parts so we'll leave it at that.

Upvote 0

Sola1517

Jun 27, 2016
Don't ask
✟20,250.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
If anyone does not accept Jesus for who he is (the second person of the Trinity) they are not elect. Am I right?
The Spirit draws the elect and they accept because they are predestined to.

Upvote 0

Sola1517

Jun 27, 2016
Don't ask
✟20,250.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
While Jesus died for the sins of the whole world he did not die for the salvation of the whole world. That's my definition of Limited Atonement. Bottom line, Jesus dies for the elect only.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Sola1517

Jun 27, 2016
Don't ask
✟20,250.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Unconditional election and preserve of the saints if EITHER of these are true what is the point of sharing the gospel and of having free will.
If perseverance of the Saints is true then the glory of God and the reconciliation of human beings back to him is the point. If God chooses who can keep God from what he wants?

Upvote 0

RC1970

post tenebras lux
Jul 7, 2015
✟80,684.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
If anyone does not accept Jesus for who he is (the second person of the Trinity) they are not elect. Am I right?

The Spirit draws the elect and they accept because they are predestined to.
The reason that I am able to come to Christ is because of God's electing grace. So yes, a person who is not among the elect will never come to Christ. They will remain in their totally depraved condition.

Upvote 0

Sola1517

Jun 27, 2016
Don't ask
✟20,250.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
The reason that I am able to come to Christ is because of God's electing grace. So yes, a person who is not among the elect will never come to Christ. They will remain in their totally depraved condition.
Many are invited by the Spirit, but few receive the call.

Upvote 0

Thursday

Jan 12, 2016
Texas
✟49,429.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Okay now, what is/are the conditions?

Here are a few:

John 15:10
If you keep my commands, you will remain in my love, just as I have kept my Father's commands and remain in his love.

Heb 12:14
Strive for peace with everyone, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord.

Matt 6:15
But if you do not forgive others their sins, your Father will not forgive your sins.

• Useful
Reactions: Sola1517
Upvote 0

Thursday

Jan 12, 2016
Texas
✟49,429.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married

God's grace reaches out to all men. If you are saved, it will be because you chose to cooperate with God's grace, which is a free gift to you and all men.

Upvote 0