• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. I just wanted to share something my fiance' came up with. She is a jewelry designer and has a shop with her daughter. They asked if I had an outlet for some of their items and I told them I would share it with everyone here at CF. So I started them an Etsy Shop account to showcase what they have done. And this is the first items! Check it out and let me know what you think!

Thanks so much! - Rex

Click here to see it!

Which Modern Bible translation would you recommend for formal study?

Discussion in 'Conservative Christianity' started by Complete in Thee, Feb 14, 2018.

1. Complete in Thee

Complete in Thee New Member

+38
    Australia
    Christian
    Celibate
    Which MODERN bible translation would you recommend using for formal study at a Theological college? and why?

Thank you

Complete in Thee

2. Tom Farebrother

Tom Farebrother Well-Known Member Supporter

+3,503
    Romania
    Christian
    Married
    If the college doesn’t stipulate a preferred translation, I think the ESV would be a good option. Apart from being essentially literal, in the tradition of the KJV-ASV-RSV, it has a lot of support in terms of different study editions and software etc. Plus it has a smoother reading style than the NASB (also an ‘essentially literal’ translation), with more attention apparently paid to readability, which could be important over a few years of study. The NET bible, which I looked up after seeing quoted it in another thread here, is handy for checking over alternative translations of words and phrases, useful as a backup.

3. FireDragon76

FireDragon76 De profundis clamavi ad te Supporter

+4,522
    United States
    Lutheran
    Legal Union (Other)
    US-Democrat
    RSV or ESV.

4. Complete in Thee

Complete in Thee New Member

+38
    Australia
    Christian
    Celibate
    Why?

5. FireDragon76

FireDragon76 De profundis clamavi ad te Supporter

+4,522
    United States
    Lutheran
    Legal Union (Other)
    US-Democrat
    The RSV has the best and broadest scholarship behind it. The ESV is more or less the same.

6. Tom Farebrother

Tom Farebrother Well-Known Member Supporter

+3,503
    Romania
    Christian
    Married
    The ESV is a revision of the RSV, which took into account a lot of complaints about the RSV (gender neutral pronouns was one complaint). The ESV differs around 8% in content from the RSV.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2018
  7. Radagast

Radagast has left CF

+1,896
    Australia
    Christian
    Single
    The ESV is a revision of the RSV that fixes a number of problems and translation errors.

Because of the similarity to the RSV, a common joke is that "ESV" stands for "Extremely Similar Version."

The ESV would be the most widely used translation for formal study at conservative theological colleges, I would think. In fact, every conservative theological college I've seen uses the ESV (possibly in conjunction with other versions).

Are you indeed planning to go to a conservative theological college? Which one?

Last edited: Feb 14, 2018