• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Which Modern Bible translation would you recommend for formal study?

Discussion in 'Conservative Christianity' started by Complete in Thee, Feb 14, 2018.

1. Complete in Thee

Complete in Thee Member

+89
    Australia
    Christian
    Celibate
    Which MODERN bible translation would you recommend using for formal study at a Theological college? and why?

Thank you

Complete in Thee

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. Tom Farebrother

Tom Farebrother Optimistic sceptic Supporter

+6,093
    Romania
    Christian
    Married
    If the college doesn’t stipulate a preferred translation, I think the ESV would be a good option. Apart from being essentially literal, in the tradition of the KJV-ASV-RSV, it has a lot of support in terms of different study editions and software etc. Plus it has a smoother reading style than the NASB (also an ‘essentially literal’ translation), with more attention apparently paid to readability, which could be important over a few years of study. The NET bible, which I looked up after seeing quoted it in another thread here, is handy for checking over alternative translations of words and phrases, useful as a backup.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  3. FireDragon76

FireDragon76 Well-Known Member Supporter

+6,307
    United States
    Lutheran
    Legal Union (Other)
    RSV or ESV.

4. Complete in Thee

Complete in Thee Member

+89
    Australia
    Christian
    Celibate
    Why?

5. FireDragon76

FireDragon76 Well-Known Member Supporter

+6,307
    United States
    Lutheran
    Legal Union (Other)
    The RSV has the best and broadest scholarship behind it. The ESV is more or less the same.

6. Tom Farebrother

Tom Farebrother Optimistic sceptic Supporter

+6,093
    Romania
    Christian
    Married
    The ESV is a revision of the RSV, which took into account a lot of complaints about the RSV (gender neutral pronouns was one complaint). The ESV differs around 8% in content from the RSV.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2018
  7. Radagast

Radagast is a Trinitarian Christian

+4,959
    Australia
    Christian
    Single
    The ESV is a revision of the RSV that fixes a number of problems and translation errors.

Because of the similarity to the RSV, a common joke is that "ESV" stands for "Extremely Similar Version."

The ESV would be the most widely used translation for formal study at conservative theological colleges, I would think. In fact, every conservative theological college I've seen uses the ESV (possibly in conjunction with other versions).

Are you indeed planning to go to a conservative theological college? Which one?

Last edited: Feb 14, 2018
  8. HiltiesGwerf

HiltiesGwerf To err is human, to forgive canine

+4,367
    Christian
    Married
    US-Constitution
    NASB or ESV

9. JM

JM pre·des·ti·nar·i·an Supporter

+1,691
    Canada
    Protestant
    Married
    CA-Others
    ESV or the CSB. Both seem to read well and remain faithful.

10. ezra932

ezra932 New Member

+25
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
  11. Philip_B

Philip_B Let all mortal flesh keep silence ... Supporter

+3,685
    Australia
    Anglican
    Married
    Like a lot of Anglicans in my part of the world the NRSV has been the translation of choice for some time, thought to be scholarly, and comprehensible. The English it uses is moderately formal which is appropriate for liturgical reading as well.