✟68,247.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
NAMES OF JESUS

I have noticed over the years, being in and out of various churches, and chat rooms, and such, that the name of Jesus is very well understood. Why do I say that? Because it is the truth. Starting with the (so-called) New Testament is the following seen.

Mat 1:18-21 Now the birth of Jesus Christ was on this wise: When as his mother Mary was espoused to Joseph, before they came together, she was found with child of the Holy Spirit.

Then Joseph her husband, being a just man, and not willing to make her a public example, was minded to put her away privately. But while he thought on these things, behold, the angel of the Lord appeared unto him in a dream, saying, Joseph, You son of David, fear not to take unto You Mary Your wife: for that which is conceived in Her is of the Holy Spirit.

And She shall bring forth a son, and You shall call his name JESUS: for He shall save His people from Their sins.

Who are His people? The Jews, not the Gentiles at that time.

Mat 1:22 Now all this was done, that it might be fulfilled which was spoken of the Lord by the prophet, saying, Behold, a virgin shall be with child, and shall bring forth a son, and they shall call his name Emmanuel, which being interpreted is, God with us. Then Joseph being raised from sleep did as the angel of the Lord had bidden him, and took unto him his wife:And knew her not till she had brought forth her firstborn son: and he called his name JESUS.

Here is the first clue as to why Jesus came to Judeah; Jesus means savior or deliverer.

Jesus was the deliver of the Jews; not mankind at that time. Yet His name is taken and used loosely today as everyone's Savior. Eventually that came to be also, but not at that time. When talking to His deciples; after His growing up, He told them the following.

Mat_10:5 These twelve Jesus sent forth, and commanded them, saying, Go not into the way of the Gentiles, and into any city of the Samaritans enter you not:

Here Jesus separates Himself to the Jews only; for that is who He was sent to give God's words to. He was not sent to deliver Their message to the Gentiles. So to claim Jesus as ones Lord is wrong! Yes, I hear the screams. Bear with me, for I will clarify this.

What did Jesus teach while He was in Judeah and talking to the Jews? First, He taught the kingdom of heaven doctrine. This in itself should be a hint to the readers of the Bible scriptures. To take what was before the body of Christ, and mix it with what was for the Jews, is a very bad thing indeed! It causes much confusion and false teachings.

So what then are some of the titles that were used when referring to Jesus by His disciples and others?

Acts_1:7 When they therefore were come together, they asked of Him, saying, Lord, will You at this time restore again the kingdom to Israel?

And he said unto Them, It is not for you to know the times or the seasons, which the Father has put in His own power.

Exo_19:6 And You shall be unto Me a kingdom of priests, and an holy nation. These are the words which You shall speak unto the children of Israel.

The son of Man

Mat_1:1 The book of the generation of Jesus Christ
The son of David

The son of Abraham.
............................>

The son of Adam

Mat 16:13-17 When Jesus came into the coasts of Caesarea Philippi, He asked His disciples, saying, Whom do men say that I the Son of man am?

And they said, Some say that You are John the Baptist: some, Elias; and others, Jeremias, or one of the prophets.

He saith unto them, But whom say you that I am? And Simon Peter answered and said, You are the Christ, the Son of the living God.

And Jesus answered and said unto him, Blessed are You, Simon Barjona: for flesh and blood has not revealed it unto You, but my Father which is in heaven.

Act 7:54-60 When they heard these things, they were cut to the heart, and they gnashed on Him with their teeth. But he, being full of the Holy Ghost, looked up steadfastly into heaven, and saw the glory of God, and Jesus standing on the right hand of God, And said, Behold, I see the heavens opened, and the Son of man standing on the right hand of God.

Then they cried out with a loud voice, and stopped their ears, and ran upon him with one accord, And cast him out of the city, and stoned him: and the witnesses laid down their clothes at a young man's feet, whose name was Saul.

And they stoned Stephen, calling upon God, and saying, Lord Jesus, receive my spirit.

And he knelt down, and cried with a loud voice, Lord, lay not this sin to their charge. And when he had said this, he fell asleep.

From the above it is seen that the Lord had different titles. Each of these was for a reason. You shall call His name Jesus: The Savior of Israel.The others were to show Him as a prophet sent by Elohim; God The Creator. It should also be understood that all these titles were associated with Israel and not the Gentile world. Yet men persist on taking what was said to the Jews and using it for themselves. This is a spiritually a very dangerous thing to do.

Now will be considered the names the apostle Paul used in his writings.

Rom 1:1-7 Paul, a servant of Jesus Christ
Called to be an apostle
Separated unto the gospel of God
Which He had promised before times
By His prophets in the holy scriptures

Concerning His Son Jesus Christ our Lord
Which was made of the seed of David according to the flesh

And declared to be the Son of God with power
According to the spirit of holiness
By the resurrection from the dead

By whom we have received grace and apostleship
For obedience to the faith among all nations
For His name

Among whom are you also the called of Jesus Christ
To all that be in Rome beloved of God
Called to be saints

Grace to you and peace from God our Father
And the Lord Jesus Christ
Longing to Go to Rome

Rom 1:8-9 First, I thank my God through Jesus Christ
For you all
That your faith is spoken of throughout the whole world

For God is My witness
Whom I serve with My spirit in the gospel of his Son
That without ceasing I make mention of you always in My prayers

Here is shown that the apostle Paul was indeed the one who preached to the Gentile world and not Jesus Christ. He preached the spiritual things pertaining to Jesus Christ, not the things pertaining to the Jews or the Law. As Paul said: He was separated unto the gospel of Jesus Christ to preach to the Gentiles. It is then Paul's writings that should be followed today and not the writings pertaining to Isreal or the Jews. Oil and water do not mix.

So then what titles does Paul associate with the Lord? First he says he is the servant of Jesus Christ, not Jesus.

Rom_1:7 To all that be in Rome, beloved of God, called to be saints: Grace to you and peace from God our Father, and the Lord Jesus Christ.

First he gives thanks to God the Father and the the Lord Jesus Christ.
Even the righteousness of God which is by faith of Jesus Christ unto all and upon all them.

Rom 3:22 Even the righteousness of God which is by faith of Jesus Christ unto all and upon all them that believe that believe: for there is no difference: For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God; Being justified freely by his grace through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus:

Notice above that faith is related to Jesus Christ and in the lower part of that verse if it redemption which is in Christ Jesus. So why the change of name usage. First, Jesus the man, anointed by the Spirit of God is set in place to bring spiritual salvation to all that belief: That is, truly believe,not just in words, but in their mind. All have sinned in also connected with this name usage, Jesus Christ. That is, Jesus the man on the Earth, in the earth which offered spiritual salvation to the Jews and most refused Him. To all, then, all them that believe in Christ Jesus.

Rom_8:2 For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus has made Me free from the law of sin and death.

Now notice that Paul reverts back to the Law which He had sat under before his conversion, and the Spirit of life, which is in Christ Jesus, made him free from sinning under the Law.

So it is that when speaking of Jesus, you are talking about His lowest position on Earth in the earth. When the word Christ is annexed to His name, it now shows that He was annointed with the Holy Spirit, the second witness of the two witnesses.

These may seem like minor things to some, but they are all very important in putting the Lord in His position of power and Grace. Jesus dies on the cross, Christ Jesus arose on the third day. My Lord lives! Does yours?

I will be happy to try and answer any question pertaining to this writing.

Andy Centek

• Informative
Reactions: drjean

Halbhh

Everything You say is Life to me
Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,156,711.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
NAMES OF JESUS

I have noticed over the years, being in and out of various churches, and chat rooms, and such, that the name of Jesus is very well understood. Why do I say that? Because it is the truth. Starting with the (so-called) New Testament is the following seen.

Mat 1:18-21 Now the birth of Jesus Christ was on this wise: When as his mother Mary was espoused to Joseph, before they came together, she was found with child of the Holy Spirit.

Then Joseph her husband, being a just man, and not willing to make her a public example, was minded to put her away privately. But while he thought on these things, behold, the angel of the Lord appeared unto him in a dream, saying, Joseph, You son of David, fear not to take unto You Mary Your wife: for that which is conceived in Her is of the Holy Spirit.

And She shall bring forth a son, and You shall call his name JESUS: for He shall save His people from Their sins.

Mat 1:22 Now all this was done, that it might be fulfilled which was spoken of the Lord by the prophet, saying, Behold, a virgin shall be with child, and shall bring forth a son, and they shall call his name Emmanuel, which being interpreted is, God with us. Then Joseph being raised from sleep did as the angel of the Lord had bidden him, and took unto him his wife:And knew her not till she had brought forth her firstborn son: and he called his name JESUS.

Here is the first clue as to why Jesus came to Judeah; Jesus means savior or deliverer.

Jesus was the deliver of the Jews; not mankind at that time. Yet His name is taken and used loosely today as everyone's Savior. Eventually that came to be also, but not at that time. When talking to His deciples; after His growing up, He told them the following.

Mat_10:5 These twelve Jesus sent forth, and commanded them, saying, Go not into the way of the Gentiles, and into any city of the Samaritans enter you not:

Here Jesus separates Himself to the Jews only; for that is who He was sent to give God's words to. He was not sent to deliver Their message to the Gentiles. So to claim Jesus as ones Lord is wrong! Yes, I hear the screams. Bear with me, for I will clarify this.

What did Jesus teach while He was in Judeah and talking to the Jews? First, He taught the kingdom of heaven doctrine. This in itself should be a hint to the readers of the Bible scriptures. To take what was before the body of Christ, and mix it with what was for the Jews, is a very bad thing indeed! It causes much confusion and false teachings.

So what then are some of the titles that were used when referring to Jesus by His disciples and others?

Acts_1:7 When they therefore were come together, they asked of Him, saying, Lord, will You at this time restore again the kingdom to Israel?

And he said unto Them, It is not for you to know the times or the seasons, which the Father has put in His own power.

Exo_19:6 And You shall be unto Me a kingdom of priests, and an holy nation. These are the words which You shall speak unto the children of Israel.

The son of Man

The son of David

The son of Abraham.

The son of Adam

Mat 16:13-17 When Jesus came into the coasts of Caesarea Philippi, He asked His disciples, saying, Whom do men say that I the Son of man am?

And they said, Some say that You are John the Baptist: some, Elias; and others, Jeremias, or one of the prophets.

He saith unto them, But whom say you that I am? And Simon Peter answered and said, You are the Christ, the Son of the living God.

And Jesus answered and said unto him, Blessed are You, Simon Barjona: for flesh and blood has not revealed it unto You, but my Father which is in heaven.

Act 7:54-60 When they heard these things, they were cut to the heart, and they gnashed on Him with their teeth. But he, being full of the Holy Ghost, looked up steadfastly into heaven, and saw the glory of God, and Jesus standing on the right hand of God, And said, Behold, I see the heavens opened, and the Son of man standing on the right hand of God.

Then they cried out with a loud voice, and stopped their ears, and ran upon him with one accord, And cast him out of the city, and stoned him: and the witnesses laid down their clothes at a young man's feet, whose name was Saul.

And they stoned Stephen, calling upon God, and saying, Lord Jesus, receive my spirit.

And he knelt down, and cried with a loud voice, Lord, lay not this sin to their charge. And when he had said this, he fell asleep.

From the above it is seen that the Lord had different titles. Each of these was for a reason. You shall call His name Jesus: The Savior of Israel.The others were to show Him as a prophet sent by Elohim; God The Creator. It should also be understood that all these titles were associated with Israel and not the Gentile world. Yet men persist on taking what was said to the Jews and using it for themselves. This is a spiritually a very dangerous thing to do.

Called to be an apostle

For His name

Called to be saints

Longing to Go to Rome

For you all

For God is My witness

Here is shown that the apostle Paul was indeed the one who preached to the Gentile world and not Jesus Christ. He preached the spiritual things pertaining to Jesus Christ, not the things pertaining to the Jews or the Law. As Paul said: He was separated unto the gospel of Jesus Christ to preach to the Gentiles. It is then Paul's writings that should be followed today and not the writings pertaining to Isreal or the Jews. Oil and water do not mix.

So then what titles does Paul associate with the Lord? First he says he is the servant of Jesus Christ, not Jesus.

Rom_1:7 To all that be in Rome, beloved of God, called to be saints: Grace to you and peace from God our Father, and the Lord Jesus Christ.

Even the righteousness of God which is by faith of Jesus Christ unto all and upon all them.

Rom 3:22 Even the righteousness of God which is by faith of Jesus Christ unto all and upon all them that believe that believe: for there is no difference: For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God; Being justified freely by his grace through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus:

Notice above that faith is related to Jesus Christ and in the lower part of that verse if it redemption which is in Christ Jesus. So why the change of name usage. First, Jesus the man, anointed by the Spirit of God is set in place to bring spiritual salvation to all that belief: That is, truly believe,not just in words, but in their mind. All have sinned in also connected with this name usage, Jesus Christ. That is, Jesus the man on the Earth, in the earth which offered spiritual salvation to the Jews and most refused Him. To all, then, all them that believe in Christ Jesus.

Rom_8:2 For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus has made Me free from the law of sin and death.

Now notice that Paul reverts back to the Law which He had sat under before his conversion, and the Spirit of life, which is in Christ Jesus, made him free from sinning under the Law.

So it is that when speaking of Jesus, you are talking about His lowest position on Earth in the earth. When the word Christ is annexed to His name, it now shows that He was annointed with the Holy Spirit, the second witness of the two witnesses.

These may seem like minor things to some, but they are all very important in putting the Lord in His position of power and Grace. Jesus dies on the cross, Christ Jesus arose on the third day. My Lord lives! Does yours?

Andy Centek

As you continue reading in the 4 gospels, you will see Him clearly choosing that also gentiles will be brought into the Kingdom, both in parables, and explicitly also.

Another (more) crucial thing to take in here is that we need, all of us, all, who have already read through a gospel or all 4 even, to continue to read again, fully through entire gospels (every year, or 2 at the very most) even though we already have, and feel we already know all.

Why?

The reason is that we must listen to Him, and hear, and we must continue to listen to Him, and hear. Each of us will learn new things, over the years, as we continue to again read through the gospels, even if the 4th or 6th time. It does not matter if someone is "saved for 40 years" (as one person said recently). Does not matter. We all must continue to listen to Him.

Upvote 0

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
These may seem like minor things to some, but they are all very important in putting the Lord in His position of power and Grace. Jesus dies on the cross, Christ Jesus arose on the third day.
Jesus told us that we are to worship in Spirit and in Truth.
If that is the case and if the Spirit living in usknows our deepest groans and thoughts.

Is it possible that God knows what we mean when we seek to worship.

Is it possible that God couldn't care about the form of worship we use so long as we are worshipping him.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
They were speaking Aramaic, not English and the Name would have been Yeshua - the word that appears hundreds of times in the Hebrew OT meaning "salvation." So if they had actually translated the Name you you would have this:

And She shall bring forth a son, and You shall call his name Salvation: for He shall save His people from Their sins.

Upvote 0

drjean

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 16, 2011
✟313,070.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
The name "Jesus" is a transliteration derived from the Hebrew-Aramaic word "Yeshua," meaning "Yahweh [the Lord] is salvation." The name "Christ" is actually a title for Jesus. It comes from the Greek word "Christos," meaning "the Anointed One," or "Messiah" in Hebrew. "Christ Jesus"
Τι «Ιησού Χριστό» Ti «Iisoú Christó» Represents Jesus as the coming-again as Savior.

From Strong's:
IēsoúsJesus, the transliteration of the Hebrew term, 3091 /Lṓt ("Yehoshua"/Jehoshua, contracted to "Joshua") which means "Yahweh saves" (or "Yahweh is salvation").

"Jesus Christ" is properly "Jesus the Christ." "Jesus" (2424 /Iēsoús) is His human name, as the incarnate, eternal Son of God (Mt 1:21,25, see also Lk 1:31) – the Christ, the divine Messiah (the second Person of the holy Trinity).

[Christ (His title) means "the Anointed One" (the eternal pre-incarnate, Logos, Jn 1:1-18).]

Upvote 0

Andy centek

Seeker of Deep Truth
Site Supporter
Jan 6, 2018
mich
✟68,247.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
As you continue reading in the 4 gospels, you will see Him clearly choosing that also gentiles will be brought into the Kingdom, both in parables, and explicitly also.

Another (more) crucial thing to take in here is that we need, all of us, all, who have already read through a gospel or all 4 even, to continue to read again, fully through entire gospels (every year, or 2 at the very most) even though we already have, and feel we already know all.

Why?

The reason is that we must listen to Him, and hear, and we must continue to listen to Him, and hear. Each of us will learn new things, over the years, as we continue to again read through the gospels, even if the 4th or 6th time. It does not matter if someone is "saved for 40 years" (as one person said recently). Does not matter. We all must continue to listen to Him.

Upvote 0

Andy centek

Seeker of Deep Truth
Site Supporter
Jan 6, 2018
mich
✟68,247.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
HALBHH

Yes, however, Everything in it's time. There is a time set for all things. The Gentiles were the last flock to be added to Jesus fold of sheep. That was accomplished by the preaching of the apostle Paul whom Jesus sent him to.
Paul said the preached the NEW TESTAMENT, that being, the shedding of Jesus blood for the redemption of all mankind who believe and follow after His way.

Andy Centek

Upvote 0

miknik5

"Let not your heart be troubled"
Jun 9, 2016
USA
✟101,174.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
NAMES OF JESUS

The son of Man

The son of David

The son of Abraham.

The son of Adam

Called to be an apostle

For His name

Called to be saints

Longing to Go to Rome

For you all

For God is My witness

Andy Centek
What did you think HE sent HIS disciples/apostles out to do but to preach the Gospel of the kingdom

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

miknik5

Jun 9, 2016
USA
✟101,174.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The HOLY ONE to be born was HOLY from
The beginning

HE didn’t sonehow become HOLY as THE CHRIST after HIS crucifixion

Further though HE might have been seen according to the flesh, by HIS first eyewitnesses and apostles/disciples, Paul clearly states we (meaning all men who believe... Regardless of Jew or Gentle) no longer see HIM as so

All those baptized by HIS life giving SPIRIT through faith in the GOSPEL know HIM and it’s because THAT WITNESS/THE HOLY SPIRIT testifies with our spirit to THE TRUTH

Last edited:
Upvote 0

miknik5

Jun 9, 2016
USA
✟101,174.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Please also don’t lose sight of the promise to Abraham that he’d be the father of many nations

And what about the prophecy HE’d be a LIGHT to the gentiles?

All this spoken through the WORD which had come to the Jews first

Salvation is from the Jews yes. But the promise was to all men who would believe

Upvote 0

miknik5

Jun 9, 2016
USA
✟101,174.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Who separated and called Paul to preach to the gentiles? Did he take it upon himself? Or was it CHRIST so powerfully at work in Paul. And wasn’t Paul set aside as the LORD said to Ananias. “This man is my appointed instrument ...i will show him how much he must suffer for my name”

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Call me Nic

Site Supporter
Dec 27, 2017
✟481,735.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Neither. Yeshua haMaschiac.

Salvation, the Messiah.
Koine greek is much older than modern Hebrew.

Acts 4:12 - "Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved." The King James Bible alone is older than modern Hebrew, which was revitalized in the late 1800s, let alone the Greek texts it was translated from.

Upvote 0

Call me Nic

Site Supporter
Dec 27, 2017
✟481,735.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Except they spoke Aramaic, NOT Greek.
My point is that the NT was translated into Greek long before modern Hebrew ever came about. Greek was one of the original languages of the NT manuscripts, which clearly point to the name "Jesus Christ" and not "Yeshua haMaschiac."

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
"Yeshua" is the Aramaic version of the Hebrew Yehoshua (Joshua).

It is also the biblical Hebrew for "salvation"

It has nothing to do with modern Hebrew.

"Jesus," otoh, is a transliteration of a transliteration of a transliteration.
First from Aramaic to Greek, then Greek to Latin, and finally Latin to English.

Upvote 0

Andy centek

Seeker of Deep Truth
Site Supporter
Jan 6, 2018
mich
✟68,247.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
"Yeshua" is the Aramaic version of the Hebrew Yehoshua (Joshua).

It is also the biblical Hebrew for "salvation"

It has nothing to do with modern Hebrew.

"Jesus," otoh, is a transliteration of a transliteration of a transliteration.
First from Aramaic to Greek, then Greek to Latin, and finally Latin to English.

Upvote 0