Which is better in the eyes of God, Church A or Church B?

justme6272

Jul 3, 2011
✟87,557.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Church A - Focuses more on theology and teaching the Bible.
Church B - Focuses more on benevolence and volunteering in the community.

Church A - Prides themselves on hiring pastors from a particular seminary. Prides themselves on what they believe are fantastic sermons and Bible classes. They may talk about Biblical obedience in general, but delving into specific examples or controversial topics they will not do. No women are preaching there, or teaching there, unless it's a woman's only small group. They budget a certain amount of money to the community, but volunteering at the homeless shelter is not on their priority list. They'd much sooner donate money for someone else to do it. Think 'rich' and 'white' and you'll be prepared for a visit. Members are more likely to vote Repub than Dem. No one who looks unkept and disheveled (i.e. homeless) will be found in the pews/stadium seats. Gays showing up are welcome, as long is they stay in the closet. In short, the church is amongst the most conservative protestant churches to be found anywhere, including the 'Bible belt.' You could be asked 'what kind of work do you do?' within the first three questions after meeting someone, and may never be asked 'how are you?', even by the people you already know.

Church B - Brags about being 'a people church, welcoming everyone.' THINKS they're into in-depth theology and teaching, more than they are, not because they brag about it, but because they'd feel insulted if you suggested otherwise, ready to cite examples of a few knowledgeable people in the church who have taught classes there for years but not from a conservative perspective. More likely to practice cafeteria style religion where you look over the scripture and accept what looks good, and just leave the rest. No pastor would be found in the pulpit telling people to give up their sinful lifestyles, out of fear it might drive people away and reduce attendance numbers. Concerned more about works that benefit others than Church A folks. Those who volunteer, of which there are numerous, feel better about themselves as a result - able to 'check the box.' More likely to vote Dem than Repub. Likes to use the words 'social justice' in their creed. Openly gay are welcome as much as anyone else to participate in ways anyone else does, such as deacon, elder, committee members, pastors, convention delegates, being put in positions of decision making that will steer the direction of the church, etc. No shunning allowed. An already "married" "couple" of the same sex can "walk the aisle" and join as voting members without issue. Women are encouraged to teach and preach to their heart's content. A homeless person sitting in the pews wouldn't draw much attention, since the church deals with homeless all the time, although you don't typically see that, since those who are helped by the church aren't interested in attending or otherwise getting involved in the lives and church of the very people who help them on a regular basis with food, clothing, and occasionally shelter to women and children on cold nights. You could attend there for years before anyone asks what kind of work you do, but you are practically 100% guaranteed to be asked 'how are you doing?' with each trip to the church, but by the same people each time who just make a habit of asking everyone they see.

For what it's worth, the two largest 'Bible' churches in my area (they include the word 'Bible' in their titles, i.e. 'XYZ Bible Church') I would classify as type A's.

One person I posed this question to who attends a Church B, responded with "Whichever church cares about ME!" which wasn't really one of the choices. If I followed their lead, I wouldn't have to ask this question in the first place. It would be a no brainer. If that's really what most people look for most, I wish someone would tell me. I just hope God doesn't view such a perspective as self-centered, in the spirit of 'it's all about me' and how people make ME feel when there. I get that human nature is human nature, and if that's what people look for in a church, then 'it is what it is.'

Last edited:

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟719,091.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Church A - By 'better' I mean in the eyes of God. I'm finding that a tip off that I'm in the first type of church, is when they have the word 'Bible' in their church name. i.e. 'XYZ Bible Church.' They pride themselves on hiring grads of a particular seminary, or their sermons or Bible classes. They throw a token or two to the community, but volunteering at the homeless shelter is not on their priority list.
Update 2: Think 'rich' and 'white' and you'll be prepared for a visit. Members more likely to vote Repub than Dem. Gays showing up are welcome, as long is they stay in the closet. In short, they're conservative.

The other type of church THINKS they're into theology and teaching more than they are. More likely to practice cafeteria style religion where you look over the scripture and accept what looks good, leave the rest. Concerned more about works that benefit others.
Update 3: Volunteering makes them feel good about themselves. More likely to vote Dem than Repub. Likes to use the words 'social justice' in their creed. Gays, open or not, are welcome as much as anyone else to participate in ways anyone else does. No shunning allowed.

I'd look for church C ;o)

Upvote 0

bcbsr

Mar 17, 2003
Visit site
✟201,456.00
Faith
Christian
Church A - By 'better' I mean in the eyes of God. I'm finding that a tip off that I'm in the first type of church, is when they have the word 'Bible' in their church name. i.e. 'XYZ Bible Church.' They pride themselves on hiring grads of a particular seminary, or their sermons or Bible classes. They throw a token or two to the community, but volunteering at the homeless shelter is not on their priority list.
Update 2: Think 'rich' and 'white' and you'll be prepared for a visit. Members more likely to vote Repub than Dem. Gays showing up are welcome, as long is they stay in the closet. In short, they're conservative.

The other type of church THINKS they're into theology and teaching more than they are. More likely to practice cafeteria style religion where you look over the scripture and accept what looks good, leave the rest. Concerned more about works that benefit others.
Update 3: Volunteering makes them feel good about themselves. More likely to vote Dem than Repub. Likes to use the words 'social justice' in their creed. Gays, open or not, are welcome as much as anyone else to participate in ways anyone else does. No shunning allowed.
To me sounds like A is better. At least for me.

Upvote 0

Basil the Great

Site Supporter
Mar 9, 2009
✟721,243.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Green
Your choice is rather flawed, but I would have to choose #2, despite the fact that this will not go over well most of those here on Christian Forums. Yet again I point out the emphasis that Jesus gave in Matthew regarding helping the hungry and the homeless. I am assuming for the sake of argument that Church type A also does not make it a priority to raise much money to feed the hungry, since they deem the homeless shelter a small priority. If this is indeed the case, then they can preach and evangelize all they want, but I fear that they will be sadly disappointed when they stand before God and have to give an account for what little they have done to help the hungry and the homeless.

Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,503,896.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Both have weaknesses and no doubt God would have criticisms of each. But I would feel more able to use my gifts and make a positive contribution, and work towards strengthening those areas of weakness, in Church B.

Upvote 0

justme6272

Jul 3, 2011
✟87,557.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I fear that they will be sadly disappointed when they stand before God and have to give an account for what little they have done to help the hungry and the homeless.
Some people believe, based on scripture, that true believers will not be subjected to a formal 'judgement day before God' that everyone talks about.

Upvote 0

justme6272

Jul 3, 2011
✟87,557.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I have never heard this before, as I thought that Scripture says that all will have to stand before God and give an account.
To me, as with multiple Biblical concepts, apparent inconsistencies can literally depend on which verse you're reading. I can't quote the specific verse(s) that indicates that true believers are given a pass like a get out of jail free card when it comes to getting INTO heaven. Judging us for the purposes of rewards is another issue, and that's something I want to improve in myself - when I find such an impressive verse, writing it down so that I don't have to constantly say to people 'it says SOMEWHERE that....." followed by a paraphrasing. I'd rather be able to turn straight to the verse and read it to them. Memorizing verses and their location has never been my strong suit, if I even have a strong suit. I tried googling "Are christians exempt from judgement day?" and found exactly what I expected...enough fat to chew on to wear myself out 100x times over. I've never wanted to be a Biblical scholar or theologian, and have come to realize I could never want to. It's definitely a different kind of lifestyle, almost always resulting in university or theology teaching positions. I suppose it's great we have such people, but when you look at their writings, it's more than I can handle. i.e. words like 'eschatology.' They're for others, not me. I'd do good just to read my Bible every day so as to know what's in it and will die not having finished that job first.

Upvote 0

Basil the Great

Site Supporter
Mar 9, 2009
✟721,243.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Green
I do a fair job at memorizing verses, but not to quote them chapter and verse. However, I am weak at memorizing verses compared to some. I tend to just memorize those that are favorites and those that I disagree with. (ex: Slaves be obedient to your masters.)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

All4Christ

✙ The Handmaid of God Laura ✙
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Mar 11, 2003
PA
Visit site
✟1,019,860.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I’d pay attention to the theology and morals. Live as Jesus taught us no matter what the church you attend does.

However - I would join those who suggest that you find an alternative church. Theology matters. Integrity matters. Morals matter. Living a life patterned after God matters. Loving matters.

Seek truth. Seek God. Seek to follow Him.

Upvote 0

justme6272

Jul 3, 2011
✟87,557.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Live as Jesus taught us no matter what the church you attend does.
Does that include everything Paul taught? If Paul said it, is it as good as God saying it? I love asking this, and get people with outstanding Biblical knowledge dodging the question. It's as if no one in the world cares about the answer but me. Why does it matter? Paul said women are not to teach men, and that the church community isn't for everyone. (A topic no church will come NEAR teaching for fear of driving people away when the bills have to be paid, not the least of which is their own salary and benefits package.)

Upvote 0

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
They may talk about Biblical obedience in general, but delving into specific examples or controversial topics they will not do.

No pastor would be found in the pulpit telling people to give up their sinful lifestyles, out of fear it might drive people away and reduce attendance numbers

Two quotes from church A and from church B.

Basicly there is no difference between these churches if they are not prepared to expect attendees to believe and to live their belief.

May I suggest two things.
1/ find a church that teaches and expects people to live the faith.
2/ at what ever church you attend ask the question of the preacher. How do we apply the surmon to our lives each day? and What do you do about attendees at church who blatantly live sinful livies?

in other words rock the boat.

Upvote 0

whereloveandmercymeet

There but for the grace of God...
Nov 12, 2018
Dorset
✟125,170.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Which is better in the eyes of God? No idea, I’m not God. I know I’d rather attend church B, but I also know of friends who would probably say A, one of which is a new Christian who just left a church with VERY dodgy teaching. She’d be more inclined to go somewhere with fantastic teaching and put her faith into practice on her own.

The one thing I’m sure of is if either church’s motives are off then I think God might have something to say about that. (There’s a church near me that tries to always get the biggest food bank contribution each month. Not for the sake of the needy who use it, but for bragging rights. That’s not the idea of charity).

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

All4Christ

✙ The Handmaid of God Laura ✙
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Mar 11, 2003
PA
Visit site
✟1,019,860.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Does that include everything Paul taught? If Paul said it, is it as good as God saying it? I love asking this, and get people with outstanding Biblical knowledge dodging the question. It's as if no one in the world cares about the answer but me. Why does it matter? Paul said women are not to teach men, and that the church community isn't for everyone. (A topic no church will come NEAR teaching for fear of driving people away when the bills have to be paid, not the least of which is their own salary and benefits package.)
Based on the rules for Looking for a Church, I can’t debate this here.

I do believe that as should follow the entire Bible, though I also believe many have misinterpreted and / or cherrypicked scripture. The entire Bible matters - and the understanding of the early Church can help guide our interpretations.

If you want to debate, create a different thread outside this forum and post the link.

Upvote 0

1watchman

Overseer
Site Supporter
Oct 9, 2010
Washington State
✟358,358.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It should not be about A; B; C; etc., but Bible-only and there are only a few in that category I see (though many claim that). Just prove all things by Holy Scripture, which means to be "rightly dividing the Word of Truth" and taking "all the counsel of God" as God says. There really are some Bible-only assemblies worldwide who are together for "unity of the faith". One can contact me personally if interested in how to be part of this unity in the world to please God in the time we have left here. Look up always and yield to God!

Upvote 0