Which is a staple for you? Butter or margarine?

Which do you eat the most of?

• Butter

Votes: 18 75.0%
  • Margarine

Votes: 5 20.8%
  • I never use Butter or margarine

Votes: 1 4.2%

• Total voters

chevyontheriver

Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,223,725.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Isn't everything unsaturated now, or is it the other way around?
For a long time everything was hydrogenated vegetable oil or partially hydrogenated vegetable oil. Natural vegetable oil has some carbon double bonds, which tends to make it liquid at room temperature and liquid in your blood. Hydrogenation adds an H2 molecule across a double bond, cracking it to a single bond, and thus more solid at room temperature and in your blood. It presents like butter but it's a cheaper substitute with a longer shelf life.

Unsaturated is healthier. Saturated is not great. Partially saturated is where it gets weird as some very novel lipids can be created in the process that your body just doesn't know what to do with. At best they get dumped in the feces. At worst ....

Some kinds of lipid molecules are needed in our diet, particularly fish oils and unprocessed plant oils. If we don't get those we aren't particularly healthy. So, get some olive oil and eat some fish. Have a little bit of butter. And I'd skip the margarine entirely.

Upvote 0

SavedByGrace3

Jesus is Lord of ALL! (Not asking permission)
Supporter
Jun 6, 2002
Midlands
Visit site
✟551,529.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It doesn't bother you that it is bad for the heart, clogs up the arteries?
Of course, you are correct. I am 68 and on Blood Pressure and cholesterol medicine. I am testing pretty good in these areas. My weight is too high. I need to get back on the KETO diet. Odd as it sounds, KETO is a low-carb diet that requires high fat and measured protein; but it actually drives down cholesterol. Seems counterintuitive, but the tests are conclusive.
But you are right, gotta be :heart: healthy!

Upvote 0

SavedByGrace3

Supporter
Jun 6, 2002
Midlands
Visit site
✟551,529.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I'm hearing now that sugar is worse than saturated fats for your arteries and heart.
This is why I like low-carb diets. NO refined sugar. Wish I had known this before I drank Pepsi for 40 years. I am convinced that is why I now have to take Metformin every day.

Upvote 0

returntosender

EL ROI
Supporter
May 30, 2020
casa grande
✟340,574.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
This is why I like low-carb diets. NO refined sugar. Wish I had known this before I drank Pepsi for 40 years. I am convinced that is why I now have to take Metformin every day.
You can drink diet. I drank diet Pepsi for probably the same but they changed the formula, it's hideous. I drink diet coke . All together I have drank diet caffeine free since 1973. I am a popaholic

Upvote 0

returntosender

EL ROI
Supporter
May 30, 2020
casa grande
✟340,574.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I was off sugars for most of my life but the last few years it's most all of what I want:)

• Friendly
Reactions: SavedByGrace3
Upvote 0

returntosender

EL ROI
Supporter
May 30, 2020
casa grande
✟340,574.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
You can drink diet. I drank diet Pepsi for probably the same but they changed the formula, it's hideous. I drink diet coke . All together I have drank diet caffeine free since 1973. I am a popaholic
What is metformin?

Upvote 0

SavedByGrace3

Supporter
Jun 6, 2002
Midlands
Visit site
✟551,529.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
What is metformin?
Helps your body absorb insulin. Mainly for diabetic issues. Overcomes that insulin resistance I built up in my body by overusing sugar for the first 40 years of my life. All my fault. God is helping. A1C is down to 5.5, which is almost normal for my age.

Upvote 0

Sophrosyne

Let Your Light Shine.. Matt 5:16
Jun 21, 2007
In God's Amazing Grace
✟895,522.00
Faith
Christian
when you build up a resistance to insulin it can cause all sorts of issues with the body. There are people on a carnivore diet that do well with it some talking about it on youtube lost a huge amount of weight on it and have more energy. I've read that sugar can weaken blood vessel walls. I went on an egg and watered down ice tea with sugar diet for a few months and finally lost over 20 lbs that I couldn't lose and still drink the diluted ice tea and am staying down that 20.

Upvote 0

SavedByGrace3

Supporter
Jun 6, 2002
Midlands
Visit site
✟551,529.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I drink caffeine-free diet coke.

Upvote 0

Sophrosyne

Jun 21, 2007
In God's Amazing Grace
✟895,522.00
Faith
Christian
Helps your body absorb insulin. Mainly for diabetic issues. Overcomes that insulin resistance I built up in my body by overusing sugar for the first 40 years of my life. All my fault. God is helping. A1C is down to 5.5, which is almost normal for my age.
I drank mostly soda for decades and quit altogether and when I drink a coke it is super strong and sweet as I'm used to about 40 calories of sugar per 12 oz instead of 170

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Sophrosyne

Jun 21, 2007
In God's Amazing Grace
✟895,522.00
Faith
Christian
I drink caffeine-free diet coke.
I buy the Lipton Iced Tea Southern Style Sweet Tea and mix a little less than 2/3 cup per gallon of water. It takes getting used to but as it is diluted you can drink 3 times as much for less calories than soda.

Upvote 0

returntosender

EL ROI
Supporter
May 30, 2020
casa grande
✟340,574.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I buy the Lipton Iced Tea Southern Style Sweet Tea and mix a little less than 2/3 cup per gallon of water. It takes getting used to but as it is diluted you can drink 3 times as much for less calories than soda.
No calories in diet but I will attempt it

Upvote 0

returntosender

EL ROI
Supporter
May 30, 2020
casa grande
✟340,574.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
This has turned out to be a real informative thread.
Any added comments are appreciated. Such as this reminder when participating:
Remember when margirine was called OLEO? Any one know the story behind that one?

Reactions: SavedByGrace3
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

returntosender

EL ROI
Supporter
May 30, 2020
casa grande
✟340,574.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I don't like artificial sweeteners they taste weird and make me want to eat something with sugar in it to cover up the taste.
Heres the facts about that. If you drink or eat diet long enough no more after taste but sugar does. What I have noticed since I have the after taste with sugar is that SPLENDA leaves an after taste and yet they say it has no sugar. Go figure

Upvote 0

Sophrosyne

Jun 21, 2007
In God's Amazing Grace
✟895,522.00
Faith
Christian
Heres the facts about that. If you drink or eat diet long enough no more after taste but sugar does. What I have noticed since I have the after taste with sugar is that SPLENDA leaves an after taste and yet they say it has no sugar. Go figure
They are still putting artificial sweeteners in low calorie stuff without mentioning it and I'm of the opinion that there are issues with most of these sweeteners and high fructose corn syrup is also an issue as most things switched to it from regular sugar and I have no proof but I think there are more people overweight because of corn sweeteners over sugar cane as to how much more for that reason over tv and computer games and smart devices that are the "new" fun these days vs outdoor activities which I grew up spending a huge amount of time playing sports and games that burned off tons of calories.

Upvote 0

returntosender

EL ROI
Supporter
May 30, 2020
casa grande
✟340,574.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
This has turned out to be a real informative thread.
Any added comments are appreciated. Such as this reminder when participating:
Remember when margirine was called OLEO? Any one know the story behind that one?
oleo
ō′lē-ō″
noun
  1. Margarine.
  2. An abbreviated form of oleomargarin.
  3. Same as oleo-oil.
The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition.
wordnik.3x.png
More

Upvote 0

returntosender

EL ROI
Supporter
May 30, 2020
casa grande
✟340,574.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
All the hype about sacchrin, it was the best. I like aspertame.
It might be the other S sweetener, not Splenda. I hadn't realized til now most if not all start with an S?

Upvote 0

returntosender

EL ROI
Supporter
May 30, 2020
casa grande
✟340,574.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
They are still putting artificial sweeteners in low calorie stuff without mentioning it and I'm of the opinion that there are issues with most of these sweeteners and high fructose corn syrup is also an issue as most things switched to it from regular sugar and I have no proof but I think there are more people overweight because of corn sweeteners over sugar cane as to how much more for that reason over tv and computer games and smart devices that are the "new" fun these days vs outdoor activities which I grew up spending a huge amount of time playing sports and games that burned off tons of calories.
I don't know how they can do that without listing it?
Here's sort of an example.
Frys/Kroger has a new ice cream. Cherry corgial. Omgoodness it is the best I have ever had. Whole and halve cherries. No sugar added, low fat, no lactose.and yet it is so sweet. No sweeteners on ingredients list. How'd they do that. The carton is not empty but when it is I will try to read it again.
They also have a vanilla like this and it is also wonderful but I like frills:)

Upvote 0