1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Which Gospel is your favourite to study?

Discussion in 'Semper Reformanda' started by ElijahBro, May 15, 2015.

1. ElijahBro

ElijahBro Selah-

+1
    Calvinist
    Single
    I used to race through Mark for its brevity, but I am slowly working my way through Matthew, and it is incredible. Matthew's first eleven chapters contain accounts of Jesus that Mark squishes into three. Mark's brevity has its own strength. I am in love with Matthew's Gospel however.

Prophecies abound in the book of Matthew. Hosea, Malachi, Isaiah, Jesus says unequivocally he is God. You thirst for teachings? Chapters five, six, and seven are purely teachings pouring from Christ's lips.

In absolute honesty, Matthew 10: 32 and 11: 27 solidified my belief in my complete dependence on Jesus for salvation. He is clear as crystal.

After Matthew, I will study through the other three. Which do you enjoy studying the most (if you were to choose) and why?

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. JM

JM Particular Baptist Supporter

+3,133
    Canada
    Protestant
    Married
    CA-Others
    If I had to pick one it would be John.

3. YoureMyBeloved

YoureMyBeloved Newbie

+33
    Catholic
    Single
    I'd pick the Gospel of John.

4. MechPebbles

MechPebbles Member

+18
    Calvinist
    Private
    I studied Matthew and Mark using commentaries from the Pillar New Testament Commentary series, so I have some preference for them. Leon Morris wrote the Matthew commentary and it's simply excellent. His commentary on Romans from the same series is also excellent. When he passed away in 2006, I think I felt more grief than I ever have more someone I never knew.

The Mark commentary was written by James R. Edwards. I have some really mixed feelings about this commentary. Even though I have read many commentaries during the course of my life, I seriously doubt I have read any other that made me love the Lord Jesus more than this one. Edwards' love for his Lord is truly infectious. Yet the way he cast the Gethsemane arrest episode shows that he denies inerrancy. To me, it was quite a surprise (and humbling) to find someone I would normally label a liberal, or at least a moderate, who is so committed to the Lord.

I am now eyeing the 2-volume Luke commentary by Darrell Bock (2,150 pages!) in the Baker series. But I seem to have problems with the Greek in Luke, Acts and Hebrews, so I'll give myself time to improve my Greek first.

5. faroukfarouk

faroukfarouk Fading curmudgeon

+16,306
    Non-Denom
    Married
    I love John's Gospel! :)

6. HeraldOfTheHolyOne

HeraldOfTheHolyOne יהוה יהוה אל רחום וחנון ארך אפים ורב חסד ואמת

+12
    Presbyterian
    Engaged
    US-Others
    I'd say its a tie between Luke & John's Gospels.

7. High Fidelity

High Fidelity Well-Known Member Supporter

+9,015
    United Kingdom
    Baptist
    Private
    Absolutely!

Matthew is probably my favourite, too.