Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Yeah... he may have gotten that wrong. Not sure what he was referring to.
It was not race. That is the discussion.
It was disgraceful and unbecoming of the office he holds. That is the discussion.

• Agree
Reactions: Desk trauma
Upvote 0

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
And there are those who are more than happy to continue the witch hunt and conduct their McCarthyism like arguments in their attempts to villify millions of innocent people who are not guilty of the crime which they are accused. For political ends I may add.
If they are comfortable doing this... then it will be to their own hurt. Voters will let you know on election day. More and more people are seeing this and they are justly afraid of them.
As I have always said, I was a Carson man. The wife too. Alas he did not make it in, so we went with the (much) lessor of two evils. Trump with his foolish mouth is much better than Hillary "you-are-all-deplorable-bottom-dweller-racists" Clinton. How could I have ever voted for someone who literally hates us? No telling what she would have done to us if she had got in with the present congress. Lord help us.
Who is "us?"

Upvote 0

Pommer

CoPacEtiC SkEpTic
Sep 13, 2008
Earth
✟141,102.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
Never heard it in that context. In the context it was delivered... it had nothing to do with race. It was about people complaining about our country... not race. Context context context.
Would we be able to find evidence that President Trump has criticized white Democratic congressmen with the phrase “Why don’t they go back and help fix the totally broken and crime infested places from which they came.”?

Upvote 0

Pommer

CoPacEtiC SkEpTic
Sep 13, 2008
Earth
✟141,102.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
Here is a photo of what started the whole brouhaha.

9B8F78EE-8459-4A90-9334-11525ECC75BF.jpeg
Not sure if this is the exact quote.. it is, after all, from the MSM.
"So interesting to see ‘Progressive’ Democrat Congresswomen, who originally came from countries whose governments are a complete and total catastrophe, the worst, most corrupt and inept anywhere in the world (if they even have a functioning government at all), now loudly and viciously telling the people of the United States, the greatest and most powerful Nation on earth, how our government is to be run,”
Why don’t they go back and help fix the totally broken and crime infested places from which they came. Then come back and show us how it is done. These places need your help badly, you can’t leave fast enough,”
Please note "countries... governments... places..."
Not race. That has to be added by the hearer. It is not there.

Upvote 0

Freodin

Devout believer in a theologically different God
Mar 9, 2002
Germany, Bavaria, Middle Franconia
Visit site
✟242,764.00
Faith
Atheist
Not sure if this is the exact quote.. it is, after all, from the MSM.
"So interesting to see ‘Progressive’ Democrat Congresswomen, who originally came from countries whose governments are a complete and total catastrophe, the worst, most corrupt and inept anywhere in the world (if they even have a functioning government at all), now loudly and viciously telling the people of the United States, the greatest and most powerful Nation on earth, how our government is to be run,”
Why don’t they go back and help fix the totally broken and crime infested places from which they came. Then come back and show us how it is done. These places need your help badly, you can’t leave fast enough,”
Please note "countries... governments... places..."
Not race. That has to be added by the hearer. It is not there.
So, which crime infested countries with corrupt government did "they" come from and should go back to? Norway?

These women are Americans. They did not come from anyplace else. They were, in fact, elected by "the people of the United States", to be a part of the government. It is their job to "tell... how our government is to be run."

It is only - ONLY! - because these women are black, latino, muslim, that Trump is able to say they should go "back" to someplace else.

Ok, so perhaps it is not "racist" in the purist definition of this term. It is more xenophobia. Which, in the common parlance, translates to "racist".
The result is the same. Othering. Pointing at people and saying: "They are different from us. They don't belong here. They should not be here. They should go 'back' to their own country."

When the President denies American citizen, because their color or creed or political position is diffent from his own... I would think debating about the correct term for this outrageous statements is the least of your problems.

Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟556,441.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
And there are those who are more than happy to continue the witch hunt and conduct their McCarthyism like arguments in their attempts to villify millions of innocent people who are not guilty of the crime which they are accused. For political ends I may add.
If they are comfortable doing this... then it will be to their own hurt. Voters will let you know on election day. More and more people are seeing this and they are justly afraid of them.
As I have always said, I was a Carson man. The wife too. Alas he did not make it in, so we went with the (much) lessor of two evils. Trump with his foolish mouth is much better than Hillary "you-are-all-deplorable-bottom-dweller-racists" Clinton. How could I have ever voted for someone who literally hates us? No telling what she would have done to us if she had got in with the present congress. Lord help us.

As opposed to all the warm fuzzies that Trump and other Republicans have been directing leftward for the last 30+ years? One need only take a look at Ann Coulter's bibliography to see how that's gone.

Upvote 0

FenderTL5

Κύριε, ἐλέησον.
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2016
Nashville TN
✟634,153.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Not sure what he was referring to.
since they're from the USA, maybe it's his own administration he's calling, in the present tense, "..a complete and total catastrophe, the worst, most corrupt and inept anywhere in the world..."

Upvote 0

SavedByGrace3

Jesus is Lord of ALL! (Not asking permission)
Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2002
Midlands
Visit site
✟560,436.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
since they're from the USA, maybe it's his own administration he's calling, in the present tense, "..a complete and total catastrophe, the worst, most corrupt and inept anywhere in the world..."
Still... nothing to do with racism.

Upvote 0

SavedByGrace3

Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2002
Midlands
Visit site
✟560,436.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
But that is the problem. In the contexts I have heard it used it was directed at African Americans, etc. who were born here. Sometimes they say go back to your country. Sometimes they say go back to Africa.

If Trump was unaware of this historic connotation he could simply say that he was unaware, and it was for that reason incorrect phrasing.
Once again you are having to supply your own context and ignore the one that is there. It is about countries, places, governments and the condition of those countries. He plainly was saying go to those countries and fix them if you have the solutions. Right or wrong, good or bad... it has nothing to do with race. You are supplying that, and are wrong to do so.
As I have been saying.
Prove it.

Upvote 0

SavedByGrace3

Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2002
Midlands
Visit site
✟560,436.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
S

Ok, so perhaps it is not "racist" in the purist definition of this term. .
Thank you.
Unwise of him not doubt. He is free and loose with words. To his own hurt. Yet not racist by what he said here. That has to be added, and forced in that.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

SavedByGrace3

Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2002
Midlands
Visit site
✟560,436.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Thanks... and a simple read through and the the word race are not mentioned. Countries, places, governments... yes.
No race.
What I don't get is why you think it is better to characterize Trump as a xenophobe and a nativist than a racist? What is so bad about racism compared to those others?

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

I've already read the books you want burned.
Apr 15, 2012
Behind the 8-ball, but ahead of the curve.
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

I've already read the books you want burned.
Apr 15, 2012
Behind the 8-ball, but ahead of the curve.
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
What I don't get is why you think it is better to characterize Trump as a xenophobe and a nativist than a racist? What is so bad about racism compared to those others?

Does it matter? If Donald's defenders want to label him a coward, does it matter what kind? One shade of yellow is as good as any other.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Freodin

Devout believer in a theologically different God
Mar 9, 2002
Germany, Bavaria, Middle Franconia
Visit site
✟242,764.00
Faith
Atheist
Bottom line... and then I am done.
You scare people. On the one hand they see you do this to people like Trump and Kavenaugh, and they say "if they will do this to these what will they do to a powerless nobody like me."
And on the other hand, they themselves have been victims of this same witch hunt. They heard people, everyone from Hillary to CNN declare that we are a nation of racists and white supremacists. Seriously? How are we supposed to take that? So we reason "I know what Trump is going through because they have done the same thing to me!" So as bad as his mouth might be... they relate to him because of this.

You cannot beat this. As more and more people become victims of your Sparrow like witch hunts, you will continue to lose and lose badly. We are not racists regardless of how badly you need us to be.
You know... the next time I buy a teenager beauty contest so that I can see the underage girls get undressed, or have two-men-28-women parties together with a known pedophile, or brag on tape how I grab women by the p...rivate parts or tell on TV how I would like to date my own daughter, or pay hundredthousand dollars so that my extramaritial affairs with a inappropriate contentstar don't get public, or, or, or, or... well, the next time I do all these things, I will start to worry what people might be able to do to me.

And it is rather easy not to be viewed as racists and white supremacists. STOP SUPPORTING THE PEOPLE WHO ARE OPENLY RACIST AND WHITE SUPREMACIST.

Upvote 0

GoldenBoy89

We're Still Here
Sep 25, 2012
LA
✟554,702.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Trump with his foolish mouth is much better than Hillary "you-are-all-deplorable-bottom-dweller-racists" Clinton.
You used quotes. Are you actually quoting Hillary as having said this or is that your own interpretation of her comment?

You complain about people reading into Trump's tweets things he never said outright but then go and literally make up a quote out of thin air for something Clinton never said.

Upvote 0

tall73

Sophia7's husband
Site Supporter
Sep 23, 2005
Visit site
✟874,952.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Once again you are having to supply your own context and ignore the one that is there. It is about countries, places, governments and the condition of those countries. He plainly was saying go to those countries and fix them if you have the solutions. Right or wrong, good or bad... it has nothing to do with race. You are supplying that, and are wrong to do so.
As I have been saying.
Prove it.

I am not supplying context. History has supplied connotations.

There may exist two things:

1. Donald's meaning
2. Historical connotations.

They may or may not line up. But the connotations exist.

Remember when AOC compared the ICE camps to concentration camps, and included "never again"? But then she questioned the Nazi comparison?

"Never again" has a history. So does "go back to your country." I don't have to supply that. It is already there.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: GoldenBoy89
Upvote 0

tall73

Sophia7's husband
Site Supporter
Sep 23, 2005
Visit site
✟874,952.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Bottom line... and then I am done.
You scare people. On the one hand they see you do this to people like Trump and Kavenaugh, and they say "if they will do this to these what will they do to a powerless nobody like me."
And on the other hand, they themselves have been victims of this same witch hunt. They heard people, everyone from Hillary to CNN declare that we are a nation of racists and white supremacists. Seriously? How are we supposed to take that? So we reason "I know what Trump is going through because they have done the same thing to me!" So as bad as his mouth might be... they relate to him because of this.

You cannot beat this. As more and more people become victims of your Sparrow like witch hunts, you will continue to lose and lose badly. We are not racists regardless of how badly you need us to be.

I would agree that labeling all Trump supporters as racist is a problem. They are not all racist.

I did not vote for Trump. But I know many who did who are not racist. And labeling them that does cause a backlash.

However, word connotations have a history. And no matter what he intended those connotations were racist.

Upvote 0

tall73

Sophia7's husband
Site Supporter
Sep 23, 2005
Visit site
✟874,952.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Once again you are having to supply your own context and ignore the one that is there.

Let me use an example you may relate to. I think it was silly for people to call those racist who were making the OK symbol for its usual meaning.

If they are unaware that some now consider it questionable, they would mean nothing racist by it at all.

So it is possible to not be aware of connotations that some see to an action or word.

If that is the case then he can just say that he was unaware, just as those who were unaware of some people's views on the OK sign (however meritorious or not those are) were not intending to use a hate sign.

Upvote 0

Pommer

CoPacEtiC SkEpTic
Sep 13, 2008
Earth
✟141,102.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
What does this have to do with us or the discussion at hand. Anyone can draw a cartoon.
Irrefutable evidence here! A cartoon!
Now I am done....:wave:
Applying the law (or Tweets) that only affect POC, might be evidence that there is a racial animus involved.

Upvote 0

Belk

Site Supporter
Dec 21, 2005
Seattle
✟904,637.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Yeah... he may have gotten that wrong. Not sure what he was referring to.
It was not race. That is the discussion.

You are not sure what it was but it was not race? How have you ascertained that if you don't know what it was?

Upvote 0