Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
A common complaint is that 'fresh food spoils so fast', in regard to the poor not being able to get to a store that features fresh fruits and vegetables often enough to ensure a regular diet of such. But what is the truth...in your experience? Which foods, that you buy, spoil before you get a chance to consume them? Here's my experience.

Fresh foods that spoil rather quickly.

Bananas
Lettuce
Cukes
Peppers

I live alone and don't eat salads that often. When I do I pig out often so there's no spoilage.
I buy green and ripe bananas, which generally last me 4-5 days. If they are getting too ripe I pig out on them too.

Fresh foods that keep well.

Apples
Oranges
Grapefruit
Potatoes
Yams
Carrots
Radishes
Onions
Celery

If one has a family of several members there's no reason why any foods should spoil.

Last edited:
Reactions: Joined2krist

splish- splash

Team- Early Interventions
Dec 2, 2019
✟225,571.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Over ripe bananas can be yummy. I don't mind, soft overstayed apples from time time either.

I have also found that, products like eggs, tend to go way beyond their expected date of expiry.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Over ripe bananas can be yummy. I don't mind, soft overstayed apples from time time either.

I have also found that, products like eggs, tend to go way beyond their expected date of expiry.

Great for banana bread or blended into a smoothie as well.

Upvote 0

2BeholdHisGlory

Still on vacation!
Mar 20, 2021
Outer Space
✟11,791.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
OldWiseGuy, you can keep lettuce for weeks by canning it. By that I mean take your fresh lettuce the day you get it and chopping the leaves up and adding them to a half gallon mason jar and sealing them by using a food saver lid thingy. If you have an extra fridge in the garage you can just load up a case of mason jars with lettuce and suck and seal the air out of them and pop them in the fridge for weeks, it really works. I have one left in there now myself.

Before I was on a low carb diet I would freeze my bananna as they started to turn to make bannana bread the sweeter and mushier the better.

And my celery lasts even longer if I cut the ends off (wash it and dry them) and then roll them up in paper towels individually and then roll them up in foil (together) and place in my veggie drawer, I have had them last months in there.

I make things according to expiration dates myself for the least amount of waste and I have finally got my husband to look more closely at those because that also helps minimize it.

He still has to check the eggs, he always screws up and Im like half the eggs are cracked, wassup wit dat?

• Informative
Reactions: OldWiseGuy
Upvote 0

Joyous Song

Jun 5, 2020
Buffalo
✟46,575.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
A common complaint is that 'fresh food spoils so fast', in regard to the poor not being able to get to a store that features fresh fruits and vegetables often enough to ensure a regular diet of such. But what is the truth...in your experience? Which foods, that you buy, spoil before you get a chance to consume them? Here's my experience.

Fresh foods that spoil rather quickly.

Bananas
Lettuce
Cukes
Peppers

I live alone and don't eat salads that often. When I do I pig out often so there's no spoilage.
I buy green and ripe bananas, which generally last me 4-5 days. If they are getting too ripe I pig out on them too.

Fresh foods that keep well.

Apples
Oranges
Grapefruit
Potatoes
Yams
Carrots
Radishes
Onions
Celery

If one has a family of several members there's no reason why any foods should spoil.

JS: people have forgotten how to eat and use food that is going bad. Lettuce can be made into a soup. Peppers freeze easily, chopped or whole just toss them into the freezer. Kale freezes just as well. Cukes can be sliced and added to drinks with lemon. Lemons can be zested and squeezed and juice store in jars and zest dried. Banana have already been discussed.

Even mushrooms that are going can be used. Bad part removed and good part used. Or dry them, they dry really easily and last forever dry. Freeze stems for stock or making mushroom soup. Spinach and lettuce also go bad because of their packaging. Always open and dry out the package so they last longer. Sort out the bad stuff as well, wash and use. Compost anything that goes bad and its not a waste, its recycling.

Reactions: OldWiseGuy
Upvote 0