Gareth

Jan 3, 2008
South Woodham Ferrers, Essex.
✟9,434.00
Faith
Jehovahs Witness
Marital Status
Single
The aim of this thread is not to discuss whether hell exists or not, but to endeavour to find out just how extensive the concept is within different faiths. As and when the list is exhausted we shall know the results. It will be quite an eye opener I'm sure.

To start: The Catholic faith believes in Hell. For further reading see www.newadvent.org/cathen/07207a.htm.

Blackmarch

Legend
Oct 23, 2004
Utah, USA
✟32,616.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Single
The aim of this thread is not to discuss whether hell exists or not, but to endeavour to find out just how extensive the concept is within different faiths. As and when the list is exhausted we shall know the results. It will be quite an eye opener I'm sure.

To start: The Catholic faith believes in Hell. For further reading see www.newadvent.org/cathen/07207a.htm.
LDS (Mormons) do.... However their view of it is a bit different from mainstream views.

Upvote 0

Gareth

Jan 3, 2008
✟9,434.00
Faith
Jehovahs Witness
Marital Status
Single
Thanks Blackmarch for your imput. Added to the list will be Muslims. Some information for you all. When a Muslim dies they go, they believe, to a place called Barzakh or Partition. From there the wicked soul is still alive and goes through an experience called the Chastisment of the Tomb. Even the pure in heart get a torment for a time because of their own sins while alive. It is on Judgement Day that the separating takes place. From there they are judged to either go to Paradise and it's pleasures or to Hell and it's torments.

Upvote 0

Thornicus

One Nation Under Christ
Jan 19, 2008
✟7,766.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
Mormonism basically teaches of two "hells": spirit prison (Sheol?), and outer darkness. But most people in the spirit prison will end up in a lovely place called the Telestial Kingdom once they are "judged." Only apostate Mormons will be cast into outer darkness.

(Where all that is in the Bible, I have not a clue).

Upvote 0

Thornicus

One Nation Under Christ
Jan 19, 2008
✟7,766.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
Sheol just means grave.

Sheol is divided into at least three compartments: Hades, the Abyss, and Tartarus. Hades is where the souls of unbelievers will reside in torment, until the day when they are raised, judged and cast into the lake of fire. Read Luke 16:22-23 and Revelation 20:14. There is no "sleep" in this place. The Abyss ("bottomless pit" in KJV) is a place of temporary confinement for evil spirits. See Luke 8:31, and Revelation Ch. 9. Tartarus is where the fallen Watchers are chained until the day of judgement. Read 2 Peter 2:4.

Paradise was/is also a compartment of Sheol, but is now empty.

The bible makes it pretty clear that those who die are in their graves asleep.
Um...not sure what Bible you're reading.
Jesus preached constantly of conscious torment.

It appears you believe whatever you want to believe, even if it is completely at odds with the scriptures.

Upvote 0

Zechariah

Senior Veteran
Nov 14, 2006
Visit site
✟19,641.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Here is a comparison chart of some Christian denominations that includes their belief of hell:

[URL]http://www.religionfacts.com/christianity/charts/denominations_beliefs.htm[/URL]

I have a more detailed chart of Christian denominations, as well as one that includes non-Christian faiths. Unfortunately they're presently with my books in storage. I have not, as yet, found them on line.

But - if anyone happens to know of an on line chart that includes more than this, please let me know.

Upvote 0

Gareth

Jan 3, 2008
✟9,434.00
Faith
Jehovahs Witness
Marital Status
Single

Sheol is divided into at least three compartments: Hades, the Abyss, and Tartarus. Hades is where the souls of unbelievers will reside in torment, until the day when they are raised, judged and cast into the lake of fire. Read Luke 16:22-23 and Revelation 20:14. There is no "sleep" in this place. The Abyss ("bottomless pit" in KJV) is a place of temporary confinement for evil spirits. See Luke 8:31, and Revelation Ch. 9. Tartarus is where the fallen Watchers are chained until the day of judgement. Read 2 Peter 2:4.

It appears you believe whatever you want to believe, even if it is completely at odds with the scriptures.
If Jesus did indeed preach of a conscious torment it was a good thing he raised his friend Lazarus when he did.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

sthatting

Veteran
Nov 19, 2005
San Luis Obispo, California
✟2,674.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
If Lazarus went to Paradise, why was he resurrected back to life on earth? Surely he was in a better place if he was in Paradise.

To show that God could raise someone from the dead after they had been so for three days.

Upvote 0

Katmando

Nov 19, 2003
USA
✟7,794.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

http://www.religionfacts.com/big_religion_chart.htm

Aladura - Not emphasized; views vary.

Asatru - Valhalla (heaven) for death in battle; Hel (peaceful place) for most; Hifhel (hell) for the very evil. Atheism none

Baha'i Faith - Soul separates from the body and begins a journey towards or away from God. Heaven and hell are states of being.

Bön - Reincarnation until gain enlightenment

Buddhism - Reincarnation (understood differently than in Hinduism, with no surviving soul) until gain enlightenment

Cao Dai - Reincarnation. Bad karma can lead to rebirth on a darker planet; good karma to better life on earth. Eventual attainment of nirvana or heaven.

Chinese Religion - Judgment, then reincarnation or temporary hell until gain a Buddhist-type paradise.

Chopra Center - Reincarnation

Christianity (Catholic, Protestant, Orthodox) - Eternal heaven or hell (or temporary purgatory).

Christian Science - Heaven is "not a locality, but a divine state of Mind in which all the manifestations of Mind are harmonious and immortal."

Confucianism - Not addressed

Deism
- Not addressed

Druze - Reincarnation. Heaven is a spiritual existence when one has escaped reincarnation. Hell is distance from God in lifetime after lifetime.

Eckankar - Reincarnation. The Soul is eternal by nature and on a spiritual journey. Liberation possible in a single lifetime.

Epicureanism - No afterlife. The soul dissolves when the body dies.

Falun Gong - Not addressed

Gnosticism
- Return to the spiritual world.

Greek Religion - Beliefs varied from no afterlife to shadowy existence in the underworld to a paradise-like afterlife (mainly in mystery religions)

Hare Krishna - Reincarnation until unite with the Godhead.

Hinduism - Reincarnation until gain enlightenment.

Islam - Paradise or Hell.

Jainism - Reincarnation until liberation.

Jehovah's Witnesses - Heaven for 144,000 chosen Witnesses, eternity on new earth for other Witnesses. All others annihilated. No hell.

Judaism - Not historically emphasized. Beliefs vary from no afterlife to shadowy existence to the World to Come (similar to heaven).

Mayan Religion - The soul journeys through dark and threatening underworld; but sacrificial victims and women who die in childbirth go to heaven.

Mormonism (LDS) - All return to spirit world for period of instruction before resurrection. Mormons to heaven with God and families; others rewarded but not with God; hell for those who reject God after death.

New Age - Reincarnation based on karma

New Thought - "Life is eternal in the invisible kingdom of God."

Rastafari - Some Rastas will experience "everliving" (physical immortality). Heaven is a return to Eden, which is in Africa.

Scientology - Reincarnation

Seventh-day Adventists - A "peaceful pause" after death until the coming of Christ, then resurrection to judgment and eternity in heaven or hell

Shinto- Death is bad and impure. Some humans become kami after death.

Sikhism - Reincarnation until resolve karma and merge with God.

Stoicism Possible continued existence of the Soul, but not a personal existence.

Taoism - Revert back to state of non-being, which is simply the other side of being.

Unification Church - Eternal life in a spirit world.

Unitarian Universalism - Not specified. Some believe in an afterlife, some do not. Very few believe in hell - "Universalism" indicates the belief that all will be saved.

Wicca - Reincarnation until reach the Summerland

Zoroastrianism - Judgement followed by heaven or hell. Hell is temporary until final purgation and return to Ahura Mazda.

Sheol is divided into at least three compartments: Hades, the Abyss, and Tartarus.
What Bible says that?

Hades is where the souls of unbelievers will reside in torment, until the day when they are raised, judged and cast into the lake of fire..
It would appear that they would have already been judged.

What Bible says that?

The KJV is pretty clear.

Just a few examples.
"And the Lord said unto Moses, Behold, you shall sleep [Heb: shakab—to lie down, to rest, to sleep,] with your fathers…" (Deut. 31:16).

"Consider and hear me, O Lord my God: lighten my eyes, lest I sleep the sleep of death" (Psalm 13:3).

When Lazarus was dead (John 11:14), Jesus said:
"Our friend Lazarus sleeps: but I go, that I may awake him out of sleep" (John 11:11).

"But now is Christ risen from the dead, and become the firstfruits of them that SLEPT" (I Cor. 15:20).

Katmando

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.