Which dioceses tend to be more conservative on the abortion issue?

Basil the Great

Site Supporter
Mar 9, 2009
✟721,243.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Green
I do know that the rural German Catholic counties in MN are some of the most Republican counties in the state, probably due to the abortion issue. Does anyone know about which dioceses in swing states might be impacted most by the abortion issue? It seems that voters in the cities and the suburbs tend to be more liberal/moderate than small town and rural voters, but I am not sure if this always corresponds to how they feel about abortion.

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,234,510.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
I do know that the rural German Catholic counties in MN are some of the most Republican counties in the state, probably due to the abortion issue. Does anyone know about which dioceses in swing states might be impacted most by the abortion issue? It seems that voters in the cities and the suburbs tend to be more liberal/moderate than small town and rural voters, but I am not sure if this always corresponds to how they feel about abortion.
I presume you are separating the Catholics who live in a diocese from the general population in the same diocese. And maybe separating out the Catholics of a diocese from the bishop of that diocese.

That said, I suspect bishop John LeVoir (very recently retired) would be the most pro-life, the Catholics of the diocese of New Ulm the most pro-life, and the general population of that diocese to probably be the same. I suspect the dioceses of Crookston, Winona, St. Cloud, and Duluth tend the same way. Some years ago I would have said the diocese of St. Cloud would have been right up there. Maybe. I no longer know.

The archdiocese of St. Paul has very liberal and very conservative parishes and priests. I haven't figured out archbishop Hebda yet. Whether he is a McCarrick/Wuerl clone or his own guy or what. I donno.

Minnesota is in so many ways crazy liberal. But it's also very unique, with deep conservative underpinnings. Places like the Iron Range are historically Democrat because they are historically labor, but they are also traditional. If the Iron Range came unglued from the Democrats because the Democrats are coming unglued from labor, that would be a political sea change. There is some evidence this is happening.

Will conservative Catholics in Minnesota be able to make a difference in the election? First, Democratic control of Minnesota is not and never really assured. Hillary almost lost the state four years ago. This time the issue of abortion could make further inroads in the historical ties between the DFL and Catholics. But the fly in that ointment is how many Catholics are more or less in name only. So I don't know. Minnesota may be in play. Wisconsin may also be in play, and they have a similar or even greater German and Catholic dynamic.

I wish the bishops could find their voices and state principles for us to follow. A chunk of Catholics could use the guidance. It seems some bishops are mostly apologists for one particular political party.

• Winner
Reactions: Michie
Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,234,510.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
I believe that new Ulm contains the rural counties that I was referring to, so perhaps a Bishop does make a difference in how much the flock emphasizes the abortion issue?
I think a bishop matters a great deal. A good one inspires his people to good and great things. A bad bishop frustrates and impedes the good they could do. A bishop that does nothing allows all manner of evil. I think bishop John LeVoir was a good one. He stabilized the diocese of New Ulm after bishops Lucker and Neinstadt. There was a lot to undo after Lucker and the whole Neinstedt affair is a clouded mess. If you have details about Neinstadt, PM me. I still can't figure it out. But bishop LeVoir set New Ulm back on course.

Upvote 0