Georgia
✟910,177.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
The fact is, the scriptures is not silent about day(s) to honor God.

We honor God every day. We worship God every day.

AND ---
"IF you Love ME - KEEP My Commandments" John 14:15.
"This IS the LOVE of God - that we KEEP His Commandments" 1 John 5:2-3
"the saints KEEP the Commandments of God AND their faith in Jesus" Rev 14:12
"what matters is KEEPING the Commandments of God" 1 Cor 7:19 where we find that the "First commandment with a promise" is the 5th commandment Eph 6:2

How nice that God informs us "the seventh day IS the Sabbath of the LORD (YHWH)" Ex 20:10

Then what's the problem with worshiping on Sunday as you claim is false worship?

no Bible text says do not worship on Sunday, or monday, or Tuesday. And you don't have any quote from me saying I do not worship God on Sunday or Monday or Tuesday.

What you have from me is a bunch of references to scripture - that affirms God's Commandments -- all TEN of them.

And even the Sunday-groups listed in my signature line know enough about the Bible to affirm all TEN of the Ten Commandments and included in the moral law of God written on the heart under the New Covenant.

I am a bit surprised that after all your opposition to God's Commandments you see that post of mine affirming them - and then ask what the issue is..

Ahhh, but you are mistaken. There is Scriptural evidence that states there are two sets of "sabbaths".

Lev 23 has the annual (Ceremonial) Sabbaths listed and begins with the weekly Sabbath of the TEN Commandments which is in the moral law of God - written on the heart (as even the Sunday scholars freely admit)

How are my statements not pointing out that there exists a ceremonial "annual" context and also a weekly Sabbath that is in the TEN Commandments and included in the moral law of God -- the law that defines what in is?

details please.

Now if I point that out to you in the Greek; will you actually obey it?

Is it your claim that I only read Hebrew and Greek??

• Winner
Reactions: DavidFirth
Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟910,177.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Nothing is wrong with worshiping on Sunday, or Saturday or any other day. The Bible did not reference a calendar and say which day of the week to rest and make holy, just that we MAKE one.

So then your Bible reads "make one day in 7 holy"???

Ex 16:23 "Tomorrow IS the Sabbath"

Ex 20
8 “Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy. 9 Six days you shall labor and do all your work, 10 but the seventh day is the Sabbath of the LORD (YHWH) your God. In it you shall do no work: you, nor your son, nor your daughter, nor your male servant, nor your female servant, nor your cattle, nor your stranger who is within your gates. 11 For in six days the Lord made the heavens and the earth, the sea, and all that is in them, and rested the seventh day. Therefore the Lord blessed the Sabbath day and hallowed it.

Adam is created on God's 6th day of creation week.
Then on God's 7th day of creation week we have this...

Gen 2
Thus the heavens and the earth, and all the host of them, were finished. 2 And on the seventh day God ended His work which He had done, and He rested on the seventh day from all His work which He had done. 3 Then God blessed the seventh day and sanctified it, because in it He rested from all His work which God had created and made.

Upvote 0

ziggy29

Site Supporter
Aug 22, 2009
Pacific Northwest
✟27,056.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
So then your Bible reads "make one day in 7 holy"???
No. But the calendar is a human construct, not God's. The Bible says nothing about the 7th Day being Saturday. And do we know that God said "let there be light" on a Sunday? How could we, since the concept of Sunday in the human calendar didn't exist yet?

Yes, the Bible is clear that the Sabbath occurs once every seven days, the last day of some seven-day cycle. But it was people, not God, who named the days of the week and decided to run it Sunday through Saturday as the people then knew it. Had the people made the calendar two days later, would today be Wednesday instead of Friday? Because of that, it feels like the start date of using the new calendar was somewhat arbitrary.

Upvote 0

Cribstyl

Veteran
Jun 13, 2006
✟98,943.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I'll only comment on the question itself for the moment.
What question? My OP statement (black letters) was “Truth is, the scriptures are not silent about day(s) chosen to worship God.” Your answer could be; true or false and add further comment. But you chose to lie on me. I asked no questions, I gave no judgement on anyone.
You quote several verses about being judgmental. Since you've already set things up so if we answer contrary to what you may believe, we are being judgmental... it appears you don't want an answer at all, or you want us to answer with something that agrees with whatever you think on the subject.
Answer What? This is my first thread in about 2 years. I respond to many questions., you’re the new cat around here. You don’t have a clue and you’re being rude. You appear to have an issue against the word of God.
Then there is the fact many play the "judgmental" card as a defense to do whatever they want, as in "who are you to tell me what to do? or "You're just being judgmental" then they go about their merry way doing what they want because anyone trying to tell them otherwise was just being judgmental.

Giving our opinion is not being judgmental, especially since you are the one asking. So the subject would have been better left out altogether.
Should I have asked “What day is the Sabbath?”

Upvote 0

LoveGodsWord

Jun 5, 2017
Queensland
Visit site
✟252,319.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Does not explain why those wrote the New Testament only transliterated the word Sabbath. The language is not consistent from one testament to the other. There has to be a reason for that. You have not answered that reason.

Of course it does. Your error is in not understanding the different word meanings and applications of shabbath from the HEBREW and Sabbaton in the Greek.

Upvote 0

LoveGodsWord

Jun 5, 2017
Queensland
Visit site
✟252,319.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
The Hebrew word for Sabbath is derived from the word "rest".
Indeed it is but it is not the same Hebrew word used as rest is the verb form and Sabbath is the descriptive noun form.
The Hebrew word "week" is derived from the word "seven". Why did the writers of the New Testament not carry that same transliteration into the Greek? There is a reason for that; which you have not answered. (And you can't answer because it contradicts your view on sabbath keeping.)
The translators translated it "first day of the week" probably because they did not want anyone to mistake what day they were meeting on. They were meeting on Sundays. Sunday is a new set of Sabbaths. This is also why the word Sabbath in those verses is in the plural. In the Old Testament when they talked about a single sabbath; the word was singular. When they talked about a group of sabbaths that made up number of weeks or years; it was plural. (And the Hebrew literally says in those instances "seven weeks of sabbaths". That is quite clear; but again - You refuse to be obedient to the now new nuance in which the language is used.) The New Testament carried the singular / plural over too. Some places "sabbath is singular"; other places it's plural. And in all the places in the New Testament that it's plural; this is going from one set of sabbaths to the next set of sabbaths. A consensus of translators that say "first day of the week" does not give you the whole picture of what's going on.

Well that is not true. As already been shown above from the Brown-Driver-Briggs we are referring to two different languages with the original being the HEBREW that has been translated into the GREEK language.

In the HEBREW the use of the word שׁבּת; shabbâth (H7676) means; Intensive from H7673 (rest); intermission, that is, (specifically) the Sabbath: - (+ every) sabbath.

This HEBREW WORD is applied to; a. Seventh day weekly Sabbath for rest; b. Day of atonement; c. Sabbath year; d. WEEKS; e. Sabbath of the land.

In the GREEK translation Sabbath to Sabbaton the meaning is σάββατον; sabbaton
Of Hebrew origin [H7676]; the Sabbath (that is, Shabbath), or day of weekly repose from secular avocations (also the observance or institution itself); by extension a se'nnight, that is, the interval between two Sabbaths; likewise the plural in all the above applications: - sabbath (day), week.

This Greek word is applied to; a. Seventh day weekly Sabbath of rest, a day of weekly rest (does not have to be the seventh day sabbath) b. the intervals between two sabbath (days of the week), c. Sabbath plural of the above and d. WEEK

Your not considering both the HEBREW and GREEK word meanings as well as their CONTEXT and application in both the HEBREW and GREEK. You have also been shown that nearly every bible translation from HEBREW to GREEK have also correctly translated the scriptures from MATTHEW 28:1 and LUKE 18:12 as first of the week which is the correct GREEK word meaning and application of sabbaton.

Sorry brother God's WORD disagrees with you.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

LoveGodsWord

Jun 5, 2017
Queensland
Visit site
✟252,319.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
No, I understand why they translated it "1st day of the week"; you don't want to obey why the New Testament writers used the word "sabbath".

Hmm so in your view every HEBREW and GREEK scholar and all the bible translation of MATTHEW 28:1 and LUKE 18:12 got it wrong and only you are correct? Now brother are you being realistic and honest here? You do know your trying to teach that the bible is not true but you are right?

Upvote 0

The Righterzpen

Jesus is my Shield in any Desert or Storm
Feb 9, 2019
Western NY
Visit site
✟144,506.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others

AND ---
"what matters is KEEPING the Commandments of God" 1 Cor 7:19 where we find that the "First commandment with a promise" is the 5th commandment Eph 6:2

How nice that God informs us "the seventh day IS the Sabbath of the LORD (YHWH)" Ex 20:10

no Bible text says do not worship on Sunday, or monday, or Tuesday. And you don't have any quote from me saying I do not worship God on Sunday or Monday or Tuesday.

What you have from me is a bunch of references to scripture - that affirms God's Commandments -- all TEN of them.

And even the Sunday-groups listed in my signature line know enough about the Bible to affirm all TEN of the Ten Commandments and included in the moral law of God written on the heart under the New Covenant.

I am a bit surprised that after all your opposition to God's Commandments you see that post of mine affirming them - and then ask what the issue is..

Lev 23 has the annual (Ceremonial) Sabbaths listed and begins with the weekly Sabbath of the TEN Commandments which is in the moral law of God - written on the heart (as even the Sunday scholars freely admit)

How are my statements not pointing out that there exists a ceremonial "annual" context and also a weekly Sabbath that is in the TEN Commandments and included in the moral law of God -- the law that defines what in is?

details please.

I have no idea why you are talking about "10 commandments being part of the moral law". And ".... how are my statements not pointing out that there exists a ceremonial annual context...."

That has nothing to do with what I was talking about concerning the use of the word "sabbath" in the New Testament.

Am I claiming that you only read Hebrew and Greek?

No, I'm not; but you need to exercise the intellectual honesty to be able to look at the words used in the text, for what they really are and ask why was it written that way?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ace of hearts

Nov 15, 2018
west coast
✟39,128.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Why then do you have an issue with people who worship and assemble on Sunday?
AND ---
This isn't the law covenant given to Israel as Jn 15:10 amply proves with the very same statement.
Those of Jesus yes. The famous 10 NO!
Ditto
"what matters is KEEPING the Commandments of God" 1 Cor 7:19
Yes 1 Jn 3:23.
where we find that the "First commandment with a promise" is the 5th commandment Eph 6:2
What about the context and teaching about fathers in the following verse?
Are you an Israeli? God didn't inform the Canaanites nor Egypt.
It's a well known fact SDA don't assemble on Sunday for worship on any regular basis. If they did you'd have no argument about worshiping on Sunday.
No what we have from you is a bunch of quotes trying to bind Christians to assembly for worship on Saturday.
There are no Sunday groups worshiping on the sabbath. Not a single one of them promotes nor practices sabbath keeping.
(And of course Ex 20:8-11 does not point to week-day 2 or week day 3 as the Sabbath... "the 7th day is the Sabbath of the LORD (YHWH)" Ex 20:10
Your point is missing.
That is false as has been pointed out per your formal debate.

Upvote 0

ace of hearts

Nov 15, 2018
west coast
✟39,128.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
God Sanctified and Hallowed the 7th day.... man sanctified and hallowed the 1st day. Why take a chance... as for me and my house, we will serve the Lord as He has asked. Not to achieve anything but in reverence and honour to Him. The same reason I don't take His name in vain or have other gods before Him.
If you honor God, follow His New Covenant.

• Agree
Reactions: Cribstyl
Upvote 0

ace of hearts

Nov 15, 2018
west coast
✟39,128.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Nothing is wrong with worshiping on Sunday, or Saturday or any other day. The Bible did not reference a calendar and say which day of the week to rest and make holy, just that we MAKE one.

The calendar is a human construct, not God's. We could have just as easily invented the modern calendar three days later, in which case Wednesday would be the Sabbath.
Amen!

Upvote 0

ace of hearts

Nov 15, 2018
west coast
✟39,128.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
We should worship God everyday that has never been the issue.
This isn't what you argue about. You argue about being required to keep the covenant given to Israel in the desert after departure from Egypt. You're very anti New Covenant as your posts prove without doubt.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ace of hearts

Nov 15, 2018
west coast
✟39,128.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Rubbish where is the scripture that says God's 4th commandment is now Abolsihed and we are now commanded to keep Sunday as a Holy day?
See what I said. This is your issue, not worshiping every day.

• Prayers
Reactions: LoveGodsWord
Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟910,177.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
I have no idea why you are talking about "10 commandments being part of the moral law".

Well C.H. Spurgeon and almost every Bible scholar on the planet does have a pretty good idea about that and the fact that God's Commandments -- His TEN - are included in the moral law of God that defines what sin is 1 John 3:4 and that is written on the heart under the New Covenant. So I am happy to share that Bible info for those interested.

And ".... how are my statements not pointing out that there exists a ceremonial annual context...."

That has nothing to do with what I was talking about concerning the use of the word "sabbath" in the New Testament.

You said two groups - two Sabbath types and in scripture we see them in Lev 23 as the TEN Commandment context for the moral law of God,, and also the ceremonial context for annual Sabbaths

The Righterzpen said:
Now if I point that out to you in the Greek; will you actually obey it?

Am I claiming that you only read Hebrew and Greek?

You will need to ask yourself about that.

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟910,177.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
The fact is, the scriptures is not silent about day(s) to honor God.

AND ---

Then what's the problem with worshiping on Sunday as you claim is false worship?

Ahhh, but you are mistaken. There is Scriptural evidence that states there are two sets of "sabbaths".

details please.

Why then do you have an issue with people who worship and assemble on Sunday?

So then you don't see the actual words in the post above??

This isn't the law covenant given to Israel as Jn 15:10 amply proves with the very same statement.Those of Jesus yes. The famous 10 NO!DittoYes 1 Jn 3:23.

Jesus is the one speaking at Sinai according to Heb 8:5-12.

Details matter.

Upvote 0

The Righterzpen

Jesus is my Shield in any Desert or Storm
Feb 9, 2019
Western NY
Visit site
✟144,506.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
Well C.H. Spurgeon and almost every Bible scholar on the planet does have a pretty good idea about that and the fact that God's Commandments -- His TEN - are included in the moral law of God that defines what sin is 1 John 3:4 and that is written on the heart under the New Covenant. So I am happy to share that Bible info for those interested.

You said two groups - two Sabbath types and in scripture we see them in Lev 23 as the TEN Commandment context for the moral law of God,, and also the ceremonial context for annual Sabbaths

You will need to ask yourself about that.

You missed what I was talking about. The two sets of sabbaths. If it's in the Old Testament; I'm not aware of it. (It may be?) I was talking about the use of the word sabbath in the New Testament Greek.

I had not said anything about the 10 commandments and the moral law. That's a different subject altogether from the use of the word sabbath in the New Testament.

Upvote 0

ace of hearts

Nov 15, 2018
west coast
✟39,128.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

AND ---

Your point is a Christian must worship on Saturday for legal purposes. You've posted worship on Sunday is vain (worthless) worship not acceptable to God. Now you seem to be changing your tune drastically in order to sneak in the back door. I seriously doubt you changed your belief or church.
No what I've from you is a bunch of passages trying to prove the Christian is obligated to the law against NT Scripture which says very loudly NO!! See Rom 7; Gal 3, 4 and 5 which have been quoted to you. You simply go on and on as though that hasn't happened.
There are none of the pro Sunday groups advocating or practicing anything you say. The reality is you're misrepresenting them adding to your sin by false witness. BTW that is one of the famous 10.
I'm not opposed to any of God's Commandments. I do understand and participate in the current covenant. That covenant isn't a revamp of the previous one.
Sorry but there's nothing in Scripture to back such a comment.

details please.
It's not that you don't point that out. It's that you require keeping that covenant which doesn't provide eternal life (salvation/redemption).
I've no idea why you ask this. It has nothing to do with what either of believe. Personally I don't think you read either.

Upvote 0