Visit site
✟1,506,209.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
How do Angelicans view the Ten Commandments and the Old Covenant? What of their beliefs of Jesus? Do they believe in infant baptism or water baptism, where you chose to get baptized? What are their sermons like?

Sorry if I'm shooting off questions but I'm curious lol.

Albion's already answered some of this for you, but I'll see what I can add that might be helpful.

As far as the Ten Commandments and Old Covenant, our view would be that the laws which were ceremonial (to do with temple sacrifice, or the purity codes around washing and so forth) are not binding on Christians, but that the moral laws are binding on us. We would probably argue about whether Sabbath-keeping ought to be seen as ceremonial or moral, but while we would never try to force Sabbath-keeping on someone, nor would we have a problem with someone who chose to keep even a very strict Sabbath (if that makes sense?).

We believe Jesus to be the Son of God, one of the persons of the Trinity, eternal and uncreated. We believe that he took on flesh and a human nature, in the womb of the virgin Mary, and became a person who was fully God and fully human. We believe that he was crucified, died, and buried; and that this sacrifice was to overcome all of our sins and to reconcile us to God. We believe that he rose from death, and ascended into heaven, where he reigns at the right hand of the Father; and that he will return to judge the living and the dead.

As Albion said, we practice infant baptism (which is also water baptism), and we would not re-baptise someone who had been validly baptised before. But you would be able to renew your baptismal promises in an Anglican church.

Our sermons are diverse! As a global communion, we have a large breadth of thought, style, and cultures reflected in our churches. In some places you'd hear a ten minute reflection, in others the preacher would only be getting warmed up at the half-hour mark (and so on). To give you an example, here's a link to my blog, where I post all my sermons; I'm in Melbourne, Australia, and this may or may not be at all like what you'd get where you are, but it might give you some idea. Paidiske

Reactions: Sarah G
Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,260,997.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
Lutheran churches are a lot like Catholic churches, and our beliefs are similar on certain key points. But our emphasis is similar to Protestant evangelicals in other ways. It's a good church to go to if you have no specific preference, especially if it is a Lutheran church in the ELCA or NALC denomination. Since you were raised Lutheran, it's an obvious choice.

Episcopalians or Anglicans would be another good choice for you, though Episcopalians have fewer doctrinal distinctives than Lutherans and they can vary alot more in what they emphasize.

Reactions: tampasteve
Upvote 0

Kenny'sID

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,394.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I did and got Lutheran

So it seems you are compatible with one you weren't interested in and now one that you were, so I guess that says something about what the test is worth. Use it along with your own good sense, and pray about it. :)

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I did and got Lutheran.
Then I'd suggest that what the Lutheran and Catholic churches (and the Anglican also) have in common are what describe you, and so you should probably start your search with the local Lutheran and Anglican churches that you said you have near your home.

There are some differences between various branches of each, however--what many people call conservative or liberal.

Among Anglicans, The Episcopal Church is more liberal while churches that have the name 'Anglican' in the title are more conservative. Among Lutherans, the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America is the more liberal and the Lutheran Church-Missouri Synod and the Wisconsin Ev. Lutheran Synod are the more conservative.

Upvote 0

Jesus4Ever

May 21, 2017
Nazareth
✟16,819.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Then I'd suggest that what the Lutheran and Catholic churches (and the Anglican also) have in common are what describe you, and so you should probably start your search with the local Lutheran and Anglican churches that you said you have near your home.

There are some differences between various branches of each, however--what many people call conservative or liberal.

Among Anglicans, The Episcopal Church is more liberal while churches that have the name 'Anglican' in the title are more conservative. Among Lutherans, the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America is the more liberal and the Lutheran Church-Missouri Synod and the Wisconsin Ev. Lutheran Synod are the more conservative.

Ugh....there is politics in churches too?! I'm not one really for politics. I'm more interested in getting closer to God.

I think I will look at the more Lutheran churches though.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Ugh....there is politics in churches too?! I'm not one really for politics. I'm more interested in getting closer to God.

I think I will look at the more Lutheran churches though.
I understand, and yes, it would most likely make a difference which congregation you choose.

Among Lutherans, the Missouri Synod (LCMS) and the much smaller (so I don't know if there is one near you) Wisconsin Synod (WELS) are strongly opposed to mixing politics in with their sermons and outreach, etc. So, I'd think that you should start your visits with one of these.

Upvote 0

1watchman

Overseer
Site Supporter
Oct 9, 2010
Washington State
✟358,358.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I did and got Lutheran.

One might also seek out a Bible-only fellowship, which would please the Lord, I believe. One can learn about such assemblies in the world at the biblecounsel.homestead.com site. There are many such gatherings worldwide.

Upvote 0

Jesus4Ever

May 21, 2017
Nazareth
✟16,819.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I understand, and yes, it would most likely make a difference which congregation you choose.

Among Lutherans, the Missouri Synod (LCMS) and the much smaller (so I don't know if there is one near you) Wisconsin Synod (WELS) are strongly opposed to mixing politics in with their sermons and outreach, etc. So, I'd think that you should start your visits with one of these.

Neither is near me...but I think I'm gonna start at the church I went to when I was little anyway.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Jesus4Ever

May 21, 2017
Nazareth
✟16,819.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
One might also seek out a Bible-only fellowship, which would please the Lord, I believe. One can learn about such assemblies in the world at the biblecounsel.homestead.com site. There are many such gatherings worldwide.

I'll look into it.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Sister
Or you jew or gentile??
I saw you live in israel
"Nazareth" does not necessarily mean Israel. There is a city in Texas and 2 townships in PA that bear that name.

Upvote 0

Catherineanne

Sep 1, 2004
Europe
✟76,860.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed
So I am a new Christian. I am learning about the Lord and His Word.

But I really don't know what church to go to.

Start with the nearest church to your home. Stay there unless it becomes very clear that it is not right for you.

Then go to the next nearest.

• Agree
Reactions: NanBee
Upvote 0