Which came first: Adam or the Child Adam?

Gottservant

God loves your words, may men love them also
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2006
✟276,687.00
Faith
Messianic
Hi there,

So yes, this is just meant by way of filling in the gaps: Adam was not necessarily an adult, when God made him.

Which came first, Adam, the adult or Adam the child?

Intuitively, we assert the Child Adam came first, right? That way there is time for Creation to be experienced, before a little while down the track Eve is created.

This is not meant to confuse you, if you want to go back to believing God created Adam the Man, you can - it just won't be without that little nudging from the Holy Spirit, that maybe it (the Child Adam) was true?

• Winner
Reactions: pinacled

ewq1938

I love you three.
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Site Supporter
Nov 5, 2011
✟916,399.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Adam was created to til the ground and take care of the garden. That isn't a task for a child so he was created to be at some point of adulthood. My guess is late teens to early 20's.

Upvote 0

Daniel9v9

Christian Forums Staff
Chaplain
Site Supporter
Jun 5, 2016
London
Visit site
✟400,885.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Adam was made an adult man, just as Eve was clearly made an adult. I think to assume that Adam was made a child is to force a modern understanding that doesn't fit the text. There is no indication that God raised Adam for many years, less so that Adam raised Eve, but every indication that Adam was made in God's image, holy and highly intelligent.

I could be wrong, but at least to my knowledge, in the history of the Church, there has been no common teaching that Adam was made as a child.

Upvote 0

Gottservant

Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2006
✟276,687.00
Faith
Messianic
Adam was made an adult man, just as Eve was clearly made an adult. I think to assume that Adam was made a child is to force a modern understanding that doesn't fit the text. There is no indication that God raised Adam for many years, less so that Adam raised Eve, but every indication that Adam was made in God's image, holy and highly intelligent.

I could be wrong, but at least to my knowledge, in the history of the Church, there has been no common teaching that Adam was made as a child.

And yet, for every new man till the end of mankind, man will first be born a child?

• Agree
Reactions: pinacled
Upvote 0

Ricky M

Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2017
Los Angeles
✟130,544.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Hi there,

So yes, this is just meant by way of filling in the gaps: Adam was not necessarily an adult, when God made him.

Intuitively, we assert the Child Adam came first, right? That way there is time for Creation to be experienced, before a little while down the track Eve is created.

This is not meant to confuse you, if you want to go back to believing God created Adam the Man, you can - it just won't be without that little nudging from the Holy Spirit, that maybe it (the Child Adam) was true?
Adam was created to be eternal, thus he had no real 'age'. And I have to imagine he was created in what we would call 'his prime', a perfect physical specimen. We know God loves children, so he would have been youthful. And that we will all be restored to that condition, not age, when Christ returns.

Upvote 0

Gottservant

Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2006
✟276,687.00
Faith
Messianic
Adam was created to be eternal, thus he had no real 'age'. And I have to imagine he was created in what we would call 'his prime', a perfect physical specimen.

Adam would not have had a name for all the other species of animals, if he had no experience as a child.

Only by dying to the child within, does the man grasp the meaning of Heaven.

Child first, Man second; Heaven first, Earth second.

Reactions: Paul James
Upvote 0

Ricky M

Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2017
Los Angeles
✟130,544.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Only by dying to the child within
New International Version
Matthew 19:4 Jesus said, "Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of heaven belongs to such as these."

I don't know what god is telling you you have to kill off the child, but I'll be praying that you stop listening to it.

Upvote 0

ewq1938

I love you three.
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Site Supporter
Nov 5, 2011
✟916,399.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Toil came after the fall?

Nope.

Gen 2:5 And every plant of the field before it was in the earth, and every herb of the field before it grew: for the LORD God had not caused it to rain upon the earth, and there was not a man to till the ground.
Gen 2:6 But there went up a mist from the earth, and watered the whole face of the ground.
Gen 2:7 And the LORD God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul.

Gen 2:15 And the LORD God took the man, and put him into the garden of Eden to dress it and to keep it.

Upvote 0

Gottservant

Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2006
✟276,687.00
Faith
Messianic
New International Version
Matthew 19:4 Jesus said, "Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of heaven belongs to such as these."

I don't know what god is telling you you have to kill off the child, but I'll be praying that you stop listening to it.

The alternative is "stay childish".

Jesus was saying "let them come to Me", that they may learn not to be too childish (in principle).

"Stay Childish" might be the good idea for a book, but in reality it is the furthest from the truth.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Gottservant

Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2006
✟276,687.00
Faith
Messianic
Nope.

Gen 2:5 And every plant of the field before it was in the earth, and every herb of the field before it grew: for the LORD God had not caused it to rain upon the earth, and there was not a man to till the ground.
Gen 2:6 But there went up a mist from the earth, and watered the

You're confusing "necessary" and "sufficient" truth?

Ground needing tilling, does not necessitate a child being born a man.

Ground needing tilling, in the fullness of time is sufficient for a man who has become a man.

Upvote 0

ewq1938

I love you three.
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Site Supporter
Nov 5, 2011
✟916,399.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
You're confusing "necessary" and "sufficient" truth?

Ground needing tilling, does not necessitate a child being born a man.

He wasn't born. Tilling the ground and tending a garden is a man's work. A child couldn't do it. Adam was created as a man.

Gen 2:22 And the rib, which the LORD God had taken from man, made he a woman, and brought her unto the man.
Gen 2:23 And Adam said, This is now bone of my bones, and flesh of my flesh: she shall be called Woman, because she was taken out of Man.
Gen 2:24 Therefore shall a man leave his father and his mother, and shall cleave unto his wife: and they shall be one flesh.
Gen 2:25 And they were both naked, the man and his wife, and were not ashamed.

He was also married to his wife and children cannot marry each other.

Upvote 0

Gottservant

Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2006
✟276,687.00
Faith
Messianic
[...]

Gen 2:22 And the rib, which the LORD God had taken from man, made he a woman, and brought her unto the man.
Gen 2:23 And Adam said, This is now bone of my bones, and flesh of my flesh: she shall be called Woman, because she was taken out of Man.
Gen 2:24 Therefore shall a man leave his father and his mother, and shall cleave unto his wife: and they shall be one flesh.
Gen 2:25 And they were both naked, the man and his wife, and were not ashamed.

[...]

They were not ashamed, because they had been children.

If they saw each other as adults, before consummating the union,, it would have been sin.

True union, is the marriage of one spirit,, to another (spirit) - it has nothing to do with being a child.

Upvote 0

ewq1938

I love you three.
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Site Supporter
Nov 5, 2011
✟916,399.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
They were not ashamed, because they had been children.

No, they weren't ashamed because they hadn't committed any sin yet. They weren't children as far as physical form.

Upvote 0

DavidPT

Sep 26, 2016
Texas
✟196,523.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi there,

As to the creation days, do you then think 24 hour days are not meant? If Adam is formed on day 6, and that Eve is also formed on day 6, but that Adam experienced many years of growing up before Eve is ever formed, obviously that can't be accomplished in a single 24 hour period or less. Or do you perhaps think neither Adam nor Eve were the ones being created in the 6th day in Genesis 1?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Gottservant

Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2006
✟276,687.00
Faith
Messianic
No, they weren't ashamed because they hadn't committed any sin yet. They weren't children as far as physical form.

Yes but if you haven't committed a sin, you don't restrain yourself from being childish - you embrace it!

That's why Jesus said "we have to become children before we can enter Heaven" - He didn't say "we have to become men"

If Jesus had said "we have to become men", Adam and Eve would never have been able to enter Heaven even if they had dwelt perfectly on the land.

Dear Jesus, I am almost at my limit explaining this, but if ewq1938 needs something let him seek the Holy Spirit in God's Name, Amen.

Upvote 0

Daniel9v9

Christian Forums Staff
Chaplain
Site Supporter
Jun 5, 2016
London
Visit site
✟400,885.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
And yet, for every new man till the end of mankind, man will first be born a child?

Yes. Adam and Eve were given the profound gift of procreation; they mysteriously get to share in God's act of creation. That is, God knits the child together in the womb, but at the same time, it's a human creation.

When God said: "Be fruitful and multiply", this is not to be understood as some arbitrary command, but a great gift to mankind. Adam was not born but made, and Eve was made out of Adam - so both were made directly by God's hand, and not born, whereas every human being after is born as a result of Adam and Eve's God-given ability to procreate. This is why we are born as children and they were not.

The only exception to God's gift and institution of procreation is with respect to our Lord Jesus Christ, though He certainly was born as a child, He was conceived by the Holy Spirit, which is an even more profound mystery!

Upvote 0

Gottservant

Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2006
✟276,687.00
Faith
Messianic
As to the creation days, do you then think 24 hour days are not meant? If Adam is formed on day 6, and that Eve is also formed on day 6, but that Adam experienced many years of growing up before Eve is ever formed, obviously that can't be accomplished in a single 24 hour period or less. Or do you perhaps think neither Adam nor Eve were the ones being created in the 6th day in Genesis 1?

A day is relative to the time needed to turn from one side of Earth back to the beginning.

A day is not the repeat of a stop-watch, to a set time.

However much stop-watch time was needed by day 6, it was enough for Adam to reach Manhood (and at a different time for Eve to reach Womanhood).

As Earth's relative time became more consistent, stop-watch time became more relevant - but even then God promises through Jesus that the times will be shortened for the sake of the Elect.

Upvote 0

Gottservant

Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2006
✟276,687.00
Faith
Messianic
[...]

The only exception to God's gift and institution of procreation is with respect to our Lord Jesus Christ, though He certainly was born as a child, He was conceived by the Holy Spirit, which is an even more profound mystery!

Yes, that is an even more profound mystery!

Was the Second Adam born a Man?

Or was He born the seed of Woman?

Upvote 0

Daniel9v9

Christian Forums Staff
Chaplain
Site Supporter
Jun 5, 2016
London
Visit site
✟400,885.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Yes, that is an even more profound mystery!

Was the Second Adam born a Man?

Or was He born the seed of Woman?

Jesus Christ was conceived by the Holy Spirit, born of the Virgin Mary, and so He is fully man and fully God. In the words of John and Paul: The Word become flesh; in Christ, the whole fullness of deity dwells bodily.

Upvote 0