Which Bible version would you recommend?

Complete in Thee

Jan 10, 2018
:)
✟37,190.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
The Cathedral is definitely an acquired taste. :) (I worked there for years, so I can say that!)

The lunchtime Eucharists are taken by a roster of retired clergy - one for each day of the month - so it could have been almost anybody, I'm afraid!

But yeah, I think you could do a lot worse than giving Williamstown a try. Let me know how you get on. :)

That's a shame. All I remember is he was an elderly thin gentleman.
A homeless man came late for communion and the priest went out of his way to give him the sacrament and pray for him.
I Will do :)

How would HTW differ on to what I recommended?

Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,505,837.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
How would HTW differ on to what I recommended?

I don't know it extremely well (I've never been to a service there, but I know people who worship there). I know that it's on the more Catholic side, that I've never heard anything from it that would raise an eyebrow in terms of the conservative markers you mentioned, that the clergy it has have a good reputation. Besides Bill (whom I already mentioned) they have a married couple as curates. My sense is that they're in a phase of renewal after a slump, and are doing a lot of good work in terms of planning and building new community connections (and have just built a new parish centre to facilitate those community connections).

It's a very old, heritage listed building, and has a traditional style of worship (organ music etc). It has a lot of weddings because of the beauty of the building.

I consider one of the wardens a friend; she and I sit on the diocesan Social Responsibilities Committee together.

That's about what I can tell you about it from personal knowledge. The website is here: HOLY TRINITY WILLIAMSTOWN For more than that, I'm afraid you'll have to go and check it out!

Upvote 0

gordonhooker

Franciscan tssf
Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2012
Wellington Point, QLD
Visit site
✟274,602.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
In Australia, the Anglican split, in my view, is not so much between "high" and "low," as between "Sydney/Moore College affiliated" and "not Sydney/Moore College affiliated."

Among the "Sydney/Moore College affiliated" group, I've seen the NIV, ESV, and (more recently) CSB used. This would be driven by a range of factors, including influences from Evangelical churches overseas.

Outside the "Sydney/Moore College affiliated" group, I've seen the NIV and NRSV used, driven to a large extent by the range of Australian Anglican liturgical texts (APBA, epray, etc.). There may also still be people using the BCP and the KJV.

That sounds about right.

Upvote 0

Shane R

Priest
Site Supporter
Jan 18, 2012
Southeast Ohio
✟566,557.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed
I give out the NKJV to catechumens and confirmands. However, I am somewhat hamstrung by the stance of the continuing Anglican churches to retain the AV/KJV as the standard Bible. I'm not going to give anyone that I'm teaching a KJV, the literacy for that is just not present with most Americans. So I give them the NKJV. It is close enough to its forefather to generally be able to follow the public readings. Our jurisdiction will authorize parishes to use the NKJV or ESV liturgically if it seems pastorally expedient.

My personal favorite is the RSV, Catholic Edition. The Catholic Edition makes a few departures from the standard edition, mostly through including traditional texts like the last 7 verses of Mark, Acts 8:37, and the comma Johanneum. And it is always printed with the deutero-canonicals.

Upvote 0