Which Bible Version is closest to the original Hebrew and Greek Texts?

pescador

Wise old man
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2011
✟498,844.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
LOL. Everyone is biased towards what they know is "true". You demonstrated that with your last post to me.

I don't remember my last post to you. I think your most recent post was excellent. If you can't accept that compliment that's not my concern.

Upvote 0

pescador

Wise old man
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2011
✟498,844.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Oh, come on, are we really going to just post links?

Especially wikipedia that anyone can edit?

Can i use wikipedia to prove YOUR beliefs wrong? Will YOU accept it?

Wikipedia is an excellent source of information on many subjects. It's not true that anyone can edit it. Was your excellent post a warp?

Upvote 0

HighCherub

Jul 20, 2017
Richmond, VA
✟4,182.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I don't see the reason for the conundrum.
Every Bible version is tailored to a specific bias, even the KJV. I's simply the nature of men to do so.

If you don't trust the translators, or ultimately, the theologians they held to, then you need to either cross examine or get a good lexicon to confirm deeper meaning.

Upvote 0

Open Heart

Aug 3, 2014
Southern California
✟49,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate
I don't see the reason for the conundrum.
Every Bible version is tailored to a specific bias, even the KJV. I's simply the nature of men to do so.

If you don't trust the translators, or ultimately, the theologians they held to, then you need to either cross examine or get a good lexicon to confirm deeper meaning.
Using a lexicon is still infantile. The only solution is to learn Greek and Hebrew. And who besides a scholar does that?

Upvote 0

pescador

Wise old man
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2011
✟498,844.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Bible translators that have integrity use their talents to create the most accurate, understandable bibles that they possibly can. There are many rules of translation that ensure that the product is valuable. It is no different than the scientific method, a mechanism to insure that the result is as accurate and truthful as possible. If it is "in the nature of men" to intentionally produce a translation that reflects theological bias, then they are guided by sin.

Using a lexicon or any other reference to gain further understanding is not infantile. It is infantile not to aid one's understanding by the use of reference works. Learning Greek and Hebrew (but not Aramaic?) is just the first step. Without a knowledge of the cultures and zeitgeist in which the works were produced will lead to all kinds of mistakes. It might help a little to have a grasp of the ancient languages to gain some nuances of meaning, but that's all it's worth.

Reactions: danbuter
Upvote 0

pescador

Wise old man
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2011
✟498,844.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Upvote 0

-V-

Sep 16, 2016
USA
✟38,038.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Last edited:
Reactions: Sola1517
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

lee11

Nov 10, 2017
melbourne
✟34,951.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Hi

I think each Christian chooses a version that best meets their understanding and needs.

Just like fellowships people chose different denominations and doctrines that meet their needs or maybe compatible with their existing beliefs.

When they learn grow, and mature sometimes they change bible versions or sometimes they may change fellowships etc.

Sometimes it may be perceived as a premature question such as to which version is the most accurate or which church is the right church?

Christians are not judged by which version they believe is the most accurate or the denomination they believe is the right one.

They reap what they sow, are judged and held accountable by their thoughts words and deeds.

The bible version they choose to read and the denomination they choose to fellowship at, are all held to the same standard by God.

To love the lord your God with all your heart soul mind and strength and love your neighbour as yourself for in doing so, we should be obeying, following the bibles guidelines, and practising the principals and teachings in the word of God.

I think this is the key and people may want to consider this as well, regardless of what version or denomination they choose.

Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven.

Peace

Last edited:
Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Hi

I think each Christian chooses a version that best meets their understanding and needs.

Just like fellowships people chose different denominations and doctrines that meet their needs or maybe compatible with their existing beliefs.

When they learn grow, and mature sometimes they change bible versions or sometimes they may change fellowships etc.

Sometimes it may be perceived as a premature question such as to which version is the most accurate or which church is the right church?

Christians are not judged by which version they believe is the most accurate or the denomination they believe is the right one.

They reap what they sow, are judged and held accountable by their thoughts words and deeds.

The bible version they choose to read and the denomination they choose to fellowship at, are all held to the same standard by God.

To love the lord your God with all your heart soul mind and strength and love your neighbour as yourself for in doing so, we should be obeying, following the bibles guidelines, and practising the principals and teachings in the word of God.

I think this is the key and people may want to consider this as well, regardless of what version or denomination they choose.

Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven.

Peace
I do find the King James to be usable and accurate and I make no apology for preferring it.

Reactions: ml5363
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
You don't have problems with the Johannine Comma?
You don't have problems with all the verses altered in the Vulgate and versions based on it?

In any case, the doctrine of the Trinity - for which there is huge support in Scripture, does not depend on arguments surrounding the textual evidence for 1 John 5.7.

Upvote 0

2tim_215

Site Supporter
Sep 9, 2017
New York
✟105,637.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Too many Bibles and God is not the author of confusion. The original texts were written in Hebrew, some Aramaic (OT) and Greek (NT). Today, we have translated versions in English. Back then, God chose the NT to be written in Koine Greek, which was the Universal language at the time, even though they were al. Jews in the original church (God could have had them write it in Hebrew also). I believe that English is now the Universal language, hence the English Bible is today's standard. I also believe that a good English Bible, a Strong's Concordance, the Holy Spirit and a heart to know the truth is all you need.

The Holy Spirit will get you around whatever rough edges you might encounter. Personally, I'm a King James only, and don't like jumping around from versions to version, having been a Bible teacher and finding it too confusing for new students and making it much more difficult to teach when everyone is using a different version of the Bible,which is why I used to give out Bibles (KJV) to all my students. There's a ton of reasons why King James is the superior version, some of which have already been mentioned.
400th Year Anniversary of the Authorized King James Version of the Holy Bible, the KJV - 1611 - 2011

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Open Heart

Aug 3, 2014
Southern California
✟49,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate
Personally, I'm a King James only, and don't like jumping around from versions to version,
I don't understand why you would choose the KJV when it is well known that it is an inferior translation. It is based in part on the Vulgate, which is a translation itself. IOW, the KJV is a translation of a translation. Anytime you do that, you are going to have an inferior product.

Many of the modern translations are good, the NIV, the NRSV, etc. But the one I use is the New American Bible (NAB). I don't use it because my church recommends it, actually. I use it because it is the only Christian Bible I know of that depends solely on the Masoretic text (Hebrew) for the OT manuscript rather than on the Septuagint (a Greek translation, therefore inferior).

However, when I quote the Bible off the cuff, it's always in the KJV. It's what I grew up with, and I'm comfortable with. More, I think it's more poetic. Poetic doesn't mean accurate, but it does mean it touches my heart.

Upvote 0

MMDave3

Apr 9, 2018
Western New York State
✟25,754.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
The first time I read the Bible, it was the KJV, but I wanted to read a translation in contemporary English, so I was left to study which was the "best" version to read next. The one thing I learned is that there is no consensus at all as to which version is the most accurate. I wound up buying one in the NRSV translation, and I love it. The research I did suggests it was one of the more accurate translations into modern English. But I also discovered that there is always going to be a certain amount of dynamic equivalence when making a translation of the original texts into English. Ultimately I think as long as you get a complete translation and not one of those paraphrased translations, then you're going to be in good shape. Of course, if you can't decide, pick a few different versions and read them! Nothing wrong with reading too many translations of the Bible!

Upvote 0