Which Bible Do You Read? (Poll) Plus, Some Good News...

Which Bible Do You Read?

• Total voters

Isilwen

Oct 13, 2019
Florida
✟161,599.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Democrat
Both statements are pretty correct. I have had the Lutheran Study Bible by Concordia and I found it a good Bible, but the essays and parts where they explain the scripture are more conservative than an ELCA or TEC member would generally agree with. That said, they are also not ultra-conservative either. Somewhere in the middle. But if one is not familiar with the teachings and doctrine of the particular church in question then it might not be the best fit as you might not be able to weed out what your church does not agree with.

The theology and doctrine will be very similar, most of the things that separates the ELCA and LCMS are not really something delved into in the study Bible, but the overall tone is more conservative.

I have a travel ESV that I would be happy to send you way if you like. It's not quite pocket size, but it is small (6.5 inches tall X 4.5 inches wide).

I would love to say yes, but at that size, I'm pretty sure the type is quite small.

I'm finding out the older that I get the larger the letters need to be... Lol. I'm having to send back the BCP I bought after looking through it last night for a larger font sized one.

Upvote 0

Halbhh

Everything You say is Life to me
Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,152,895.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I have had the Lutheran Study Bible by Concordia and I found it a good Bible, but the essays and parts where they explain the scripture are more conservative than an ELCA or TEC member would generally agree with.
In our "ELCA" Lutheran church I have attended for about 8 years (but who cares really that its this label or that label?), we use primarily the Lutheran Study Bible in all 3 of our bible study groups, and generally read its introductions and it's side margin notes, as we go along.

No one objects to any of those notes and commentary.

So, it's...well, the opposite of what you were guessing. :)

Upvote 0

tampasteve

Pray for peace in Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Supporter
May 15, 2017
Tampa
✟768,102.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
In our "ELCA" Lutheran church I have attended for about 8 years (but who cares really that its this label or that label?), we use primarily the Lutheran Study Bible in all 3 of our bible study groups, and generally read its introductions and it's side margin notes, as we go along.

No one objects to any of those notes and commentary.

So, it's...well, the opposite of what you were guessing. :)

It certainly could be! My experience is only in one synod (Florida-Bahamas), so I am sure it varies. That being said, are you sure it is the Concordia Lutheran Study Bible? Confusingly, Augsburg Fortress (ELCA) publishes the Lutheran Study Bible as well. I have that one to and use it frequently. The hard copy is a light blue color.

Upvote 0

Halbhh

Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
✟1,152,895.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It certainly could be! My experience is only in one synod (Florida-Bahamas), so I am sure it varies. That being said, are you sure it is the Concordia Lutheran Study Bible? Confusingly, Augsburg Fortress (ELCA) publishes the Lutheran Study Bible as well. I have that one to and use it frequently. The hard copy is a light blue color.

This one: https://www.amazon.com/Lutheran-Bib...ran+study+bible&qid=1571322289&s=books&sr=1-1

Are they significantly different? We do tend to get commentary from 3 sources in our groups as we go along.
The Lutheran Study Bible above,
the Life Application Bible is popular in our groups:
https://www.amazon.com/Life-Applica...rds=study+bible&qid=1571322382&s=books&sr=1-3
and the last is when people like me speak up using our smartphones and read from another commentary like Ellicott's or the Pulpit commentaries (pretty good generally) at BibleHub.

None of these commentaries, not even one, are what anyone could call 'liberal'. Instead, they are all studiously trying to be faithful to the word.

Upvote 0

tampasteve

Pray for peace in Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Supporter
May 15, 2017
Tampa
✟768,102.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
This one: https://www.amazon.com/Lutheran-Bib...ran+study+bible&qid=1571322289&s=books&sr=1-1

Are they significantly different? We do tend to get commentary from 3 sources in our groups as we go along.
The Lutheran Study Bible above,
the Life Application Bible is popular in our groups:
https://www.amazon.com/Life-Applica...rds=study+bible&qid=1571322382&s=books&sr=1-3
and the last is when people like me speak up using our smartphones and read from another commentary like Ellicott's or the Pulpit commentaries (pretty good generally) at BibleHub.

None of these commentaries, not even one, are what anyone could call 'liberal'. Instead, they are all studiously trying to be faithful to the word.

OK, that makes more sense, that is the ELCA/Augsburg Fortress edition, not the LCMS/Concordia version.

Yes, they are different. The Concodria edition actually has a lot of commentary in it compared to the Augsburg edition. I believe the Concordia is also ESV compared to NRSV for the Augsburg. You are correct though, the Augsburg edition is not "liberal" at all, it is more factual. The Concordia edition gets more "conservative" in the commentary on the passages as there is simply far more commentary.

• Informative
Reactions: Halbhh
Upvote 0

Halbhh

Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
✟1,152,895.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
OK, that makes more sense, that is the ELCA/Augsburg Fortress edition, not the LCMS/Concordia version.

Yes, they are different. The Concodria edition actually has a lot of commentary in it compared to the Augsburg edition. I believe the Concordia is also ESV compared to NRSV for the Augsburg. You are correct though, the Augsburg edition is not "liberal" at all, it is more factual. The Concordia edition gets more "conservative" in the commentary on the passages as there is simply far more commentary.
Ok, it would be interesting to learn more about that sometime (soon?), perhaps inside the Lutheran forum? (I have more anecdotes also to offer)

• Agree
Reactions: tampasteve
Upvote 0

tampasteve

Pray for peace in Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Supporter
May 15, 2017
Tampa
✟768,102.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Ok, it would be interesting to learn more about that sometime (soon?), perhaps inside the Lutheran forum? (I have more anecdotes also to offer)
Sure! Feel encouraged to start a thread and I would be happy to participate.

Upvote 0

Andrewn

CF Ambassadors
Supporter
Jul 4, 2019
-
✟678,702.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
But It's worth saying I think that almost all parishes use the NRSV in worship.
It's not a virtue to study from the same translation as your congregation. You, for example, tend to use the REB for your personal study.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Arcangl86

Dec 29, 2013
✟343,216.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
It's not a virtue to study from the same translation as your congregation. You, for example, tend to use the REB for your personal study.
I don't use the REB for study. I use it for devotional use, and that's because I like the way it sounds a lot better. I actually use the NRSV for study.

Upvote 0

Shane R

Priest
Supporter
Jan 18, 2012
Southeast Ohio
✟536,041.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed
Beyond the choices listed I am somewhat enamored with the Knox Bible, a Roman Catholic translation from the first half of the 20th century (HOLY BIBLE: Genesis 1). That said, Knox's Psalter is very clunky and, to me, audially awkward.

If I'm reading from the Apocrypha, I will often dust off my facsimile reproduction of the 1560 Geneva. Working through the antiquated type-set and some of the other eccentricities of such an old volume make me slow down and concentrate more.

I read a first edition HCSB to my children. The second edition is also acceptable. The third took away everything that made HCSB distinctive and might as well be a 1984 NIV lightly edited to reflect a 21st century Southern Baptist vocabulary.

Upvote 0

Andrewn

CF Ambassadors
Supporter
Jul 4, 2019
-
✟678,702.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Working through the antiquated type-set and some of the other eccentricities of such an old volume make me slow down and concentrate more.
I agree that slowing down is important in reading the Bible. A lot of people like thought-for-thought translations. But these encourage speed reading as they give the false impression that the ideas in the text are simple to understand.

The third took away everything that made HCSB distinctive and might as well be a 1984 NIV lightly edited to reflect a 21st century Southern Baptist vocabulary.
True, this why the 3rd edition is called CSB. It is one of a multitude of good versions that have been produced in recent years.

Reactions: Shane R
Upvote 0

Naomi4Christ

not a nutter
Supporter
Sep 15, 2005
✟269,195.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private
Was given some good answers here at this thread: Liturgical Churches and the Apocrypha/Deuterocanonical Books?, however I am looking to get more viewpoints and a consensus from this particular denomination.

I have those Bibles available to me through a friend or one that was given to me in the case of the ESV Study Bible Lutheran Edition (newer one). I believe the church that my girlfriend and I are looking to attend uses the NKJV by looking at some scripture links on their website.

Oh, and I talked with my ex-wife and she is okay with me taking the kids to an Episcopal church sometimes. So, some positive stuff there!
NIVA

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

GonzoVagante

Oct 25, 2019
Arkansas
✟16,168.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
NRSV w/ Apocrypha for daily office.
KJV w/ Apocrypha for daily office if I'm praying Rite I
Common English Bible for reading OT narratives
JPS Bible for reading OT narratives
OSB when I'm curious if the LXX says something different
ESV on occasion
Revised English once in a blue moon.

I have a couple of GNT that I need to brush up on. To say I can read Greek would be an overstatement, but I can sort of read Greek.

I have a number of others for comparison purposes.

• Informative
Reactions: Shane R
Upvote 0

Andrewn

CF Ambassadors
Supporter
Jul 4, 2019
-
✟678,702.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
To say I can read Greek would be an overstatement, but I can sort of read Greek. I have a number of others for comparison purposes.
Welcome in the CF.

Upvote 0