Which Apostolic Church do you belong to?

jimmyjimmy

Pardoned Rebel
Site Supporter
Jan 2, 2015
USA
✟234,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
In this case it was a Baptist and the word was 'apostolic'. I did try to explain the term because I know it can have different meanings based on where one is coming from. My comment about 'inside baseball' was tongue in cheek. It reflected the real linguistic confusion we often have by using the same words often with different meanings. And even how keeping things 'inside' is in the end not all that helpful. I think we use the terms as we have always used them, but translate them when needed for those who might not know our definitions.

An example of a term that has different meanings is 'sanctification. Catholics can trace their meaning to Thomas Aquinas and Augustine back to the Bible. Various Protestants can say they get their meaning from the Bible alone. I've seen no end of confusion over that term over the years. I'm not going there today, but I do remember at one time that I thought of creating a dictionary of such words to ease theological dialogue.

For the record, here's what I wrote to our Baptist friend:
"There is an issue with definitions here I want to address. And that is the definition of 'apostolic'. It can mean many things. I took it to mean those groups who see themselves being led by bishops who can trace a lineage of both faith and ordination from the apostles. That would be Orthodox (Eastern or Oriental), Catholics, Anglicans, some Lutherans, some other groups. Generally not Baptists. How are you defining 'apostolic'? Probably differently. If so, by all means stay in the conversation, but be aware that most of the rest of us in this discussion are using the term the way I defined it above. Or at least I think that's what we have all been doing."

It looks like you did explain, and I must have missed it. Thanks for clearing that up.

Apologies,

Brian

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,237,369.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
It looks like you did explain, and I must have missed it. Thanks for clearing that up.

Apologies,

Brian
No apologies needed. I started a post to you a few weeks ago and then I realized in checking before posting that you had already answered my exact question. Funny that I don't even remember the question, just that I was reasking an already answered question. Now I remember. It was whether you had found a church yet and you said you had found a PCA congregation. As I get older I get way more scattered.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,261,126.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
When I think of apostolic... I think of a church that acknowledges that there is such a thing as "Church history" and we all have a received interpretive tradition we are working from. That also tends to imply we have no particular market cornered on the word "true Christian". That applies especially to Roman Catholic, Orthodox, and Anglicans, but it could also apply to Lutherans, Methodists, and the various Reformed churches.

Upvote 0

MarkRohfrietsch

Unapologetic Apologist
Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2007
✟828,231.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Admin Hat...

I have closed this thread pending review by staff.

I still find it so hard to understand why members don't get the intent of threads even when it is explained.

As others have stated, this thread is for those who hold that they are members of Churches that have Apostolic Succession in the episcopal leadership of their Churches. Those of us who do not may post here in fellowship, but we may not argue against this very traditional view and definition. This is their thread; the rest of us are guests.

Mark, CF Admin

Upvote 0

Kalevalatar

Supisuomalainen sisupussi
Jul 5, 2005
Pohjola
✟20,327.00
Country
Finland
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Welcome.

Just wondering. When you say the Nicene Creed, and you say 'One, Holy, Catholic, and Apostolic Church' what is your understanding of what it means to be 'apostolic'?

I'm Lutheran and in our Church we understand "Apostolic" to mean the apostolicity of the whole Church: founded by Jesus Christ who sent the Apostles to participate in His mission and lives in continuity with the apostles and their proclamation through the Holy Spirit. Apostolic tradition in the Church means continuity of the Church of the apostles: witness to the apostolic faith, proclaiming the Gospel to all nations, celebration of baptism and the eucharist, apostolic succession of the ordained ministry, communion in prayer, love, and service to the sick and needy.

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Doesn't the idea of multiple Apostolic Churches conflict with the Nicene Creed?
If I remember correctly, this thread was started when we had a separate forum for "apostolic churches" which included any that at least sought after apostolic succession for the hierarchy. That forum was ended when traditional theology was started and I think this thread was migrated over from that now defunct forum. That is the reason behind the title of this thread though.

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Actually, it would be better to begin a new thread to explore that question, if you wish to. This one is just a sort of intro thread. :)

However, you might want to review the Statement of Purpose for Traditional Theology to determine if this is the proper area for the kind of discussion you wish to have. Any topic may be explored within the context of Tradition, but if debate is preferred, that would be more suited perhaps to General Theology.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Folks, just a friendly reminder. This is not a discussion thread.

Please state ONLY which Apostolic Church you belong to.

You may want to repost your points elsewhere if you want to keep them. There have been many OT posts here lately and usually the mods delete them when they do a clean-up.

Reactions: Paul Yohannan
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,261,126.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
Officially... I am a Methodist. But I haven't regularly attended a Methodist church in decades.

I suppose theologically I fit in more with Episcopalians or Lutherans. I've been attending an ELCA Lutheran church for a few years off and on, and sometimes I go to a midweek service at the local Episcopalian cathedral.

Upvote 0

Marilyn C

Pre-tribulation.
Site Supporter
Dec 26, 2013
Victoria
✟598,287.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Roman Catholic Church, the Eastern Orthodox Church, the Anglican Church, the Oriental Orthodox Church, one of the various Old Catholic churches, or one of the many Continuing Anglican churches?

This was going to be a poll but I forgot to click the relevant box :doh:

Hi Iosias,

My heritage is not there, but anyway I was brought up in the Apostolic Church of Australia. It came from the Welsh Revival in the early 1900`s. I know that is not what you are looking for, but still thought I`d post it as interesting info.

regards, Marilyn.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

MarkRohfrietsch

Unapologetic Apologist
Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2007
✟828,231.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Hi Iosias,

My heritage is not there, but anyway I was brought up in the Apostolic Church of Australia. It came from the Welsh Revival in the early 1900`s. I know that is not what you are looking for, but still thought I`d post it as interesting info.

regards, Marilyn.

Hi Marilyn,

Welcome to Traditional Theology.

This thread is not actually about this type of Pentecostalism, but Churches that are in Apostolic Succession in the most formal and historic sense; i.e. Churches that trace their leadership back to the Apostles with an uninterrupted leadership of successors called Bishops. These Churches would include the various Catholic, Orthodox, Anglican and some Lutheran Communions only.

Mark
CF Admin

• Useful
Reactions: Tigger45
Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Last night at Easter Vigil I was Confirmed in the Roman Catholic Church, so it's official!

Shucks, I guess that means I'm no longer allowed to speak to you. :p. JUST KIDDING OF COURSE!

I pray that you are blessed!

Upvote 0