Which Apostolic Church do you belong to?

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I fell over this made me so dizzy. ;->
In comparison I am a plain old Latin Rite Catholic. One that actually believes what's in the catechism. And kinda sorta likes Origen even if he is a bit to figurative for me as steady fare.
Welcome to CF, and welcome to TT (Traditional Theology). We are glad you joined us!

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,237,432.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
I belong to the Baptist Church, with strong beliefs and customs associated to Southern Baptist.
I have a generally high opinion of Southern Baptists, particularly those with strong beliefs.

There is an issue with definitions here I want to address. And that is the definition of 'apostolic'. It can mean many things. I took it to mean those groups who see themselves being led by bishops who can trace a lineage of both faith and ordination from the apostles. That would be Orthodox (Eastern or Oriental), Catholics, Anglicans, some Lutherans, some other groups. Generally not Baptists. How are you defining 'apostolic'? Probably differently. If so, by all means stay in the conversation, but be aware that most of the rest of us in this discussion are using the term the way I defined it above. Or at least I think that's what we have all been doing.

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,237,432.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
If I may comment...the OP seems to want replies from the members of such churches as you referred to, but that word just about ALWAYS invites misunderstanding, so that using some other word might be a good idea.
I agree that someone not in on the lingo might take the word differently. Actually there are lots of theological words that cause the same sort of issues, where we could almost think we were talking about the same thing but not really.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I agree that someone not in on the lingo might take the word differently.
Yes but I think it's more than that. For them, it has a different meaning. It's not as though someone is "not in on the lingo" while others are correct to use the word in the way they customarily do.

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,237,432.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Yes but I think it's more than that. For them, it has a different meaning. It's not as though someone is "not in on the lingo" while others are correct to use the word in the way they customarily do.
We have to have some 'inside baseball' to confuse everybody. Just got to.

Upvote 0

MarkRohfrietsch

Unapologetic Apologist
Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2007
✟828,231.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Correct; this is for Apostolic Succession Churches.

At one time CF had a forum expressly dedicated to Apostolic Succession Churches. After we opened Traditional Theology, it seemed that those who belonged to AC Churches who posted outside of their Congregational Forums began posting in TT and the AC forum became rather quiet. After consulting with the members of the AC forum, it was decided (unanimously, or almost so) that it would be in everyone's interest to merge that forum with TT. This thread is a remnant that was moved here, and is truly still a roll call for AC Church members; but everyone is welcome to post in fellowship!:oldthumbsup::)

God bless,

Mark
CF Admin

Reactions: actionsub
Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,237,432.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Second Congregational
Welcome.

Just wondering. When you say the Nicene Creed, and you say 'One, Holy, Catholic, and Apostolic Church' what is your understanding of what it means to be 'apostolic'?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

freezerman2000

Living and dying in 3/4 time
Feb 24, 2011
South Carolina
✟39,130.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Been Episcopalian all my life.
images

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Been Episcopalian all my life.
images

Certainly not that I'm arguing with you, but at one point I thought you were Catholic? Maybe they didn't have the right faith icon for you (old style CF) or maybe I'm completely remembering wrong? Probably it's my mistake. :)

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I'm not positive if I ever posted in this thread or not. But since we have faith listed under our name (I miss the icons, btw - I LIKED having my three-bar cross!) but I am Eastern Orthodox, currently at a Greek parish. :)

Upvote 0

freezerman2000

Feb 24, 2011
South Carolina
✟39,130.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Certainly not that I'm arguing with you, but at one point I thought you were Catholic? Maybe they didn't have the right faith icon for you (old style CF) or maybe I'm completely remembering wrong? Probably it's my mistake. :)

No,never been Catholic..have been to only one Catholic service,and that was a wedding.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
No,never been Catholic..have been to only one Catholic service,and that was a wedding.
Faulty memory then. Please forgive me. I also spent a few months thinking about what one of our EO members said, thinking she was Anglican. I don't know where it comes from that I get mixed up on these things. :)

Upvote 0

freezerman2000

Feb 24, 2011
South Carolina
✟39,130.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Faulty memory then. Please forgive me. I also spent a few months thinking about what one of our EO members said, thinking she was Anglican. I don't know where it comes from that I get mixed up on these things. :)

It's ok.
No harm,no foul.

Reactions: ~Anastasia~
Upvote 0

jimmyjimmy

Pardoned Rebel
Site Supporter
Jan 2, 2015
USA
✟234,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
We have to have some 'inside baseball' to confuse everybody. Just got to.

Yes, I completely agree. We shouldn't dumb everything down, but as a kindness to those who we know will not understand our tradition's jargon, we could perhaps give a brief explanation, especially in an OP. CF is a big "place" with lots of views, and anyone can wander in here - even a Presbyterian. ;)

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,237,432.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Yes, I completely agree. We shouldn't dumb everything down, but as a kindness to those who we know will not understand our tradition's jargon, we could perhaps give a brief explanation, especially in an OP. CF is a big "place" with lots of views, and anyone can wander in here - even a Presbyterian. ;)

In this case it was a Baptist and the word was 'apostolic'. I did try to explain the term because I know it can have different meanings based on where one is coming from. My comment about 'inside baseball' was tongue in cheek. It reflected the real linguistic confusion we often have by using the same words often with different meanings. And even how keeping things 'inside' is in the end not all that helpful. I think we use the terms as we have always used them, but translate them when needed for those who might not know our definitions.

An example of a term that has different meanings is 'sanctification. Catholics can trace their meaning to Thomas Aquinas and Augustine back to the Bible. Various Protestants can say they get their meaning from the Bible alone. I've seen no end of confusion over that term over the years. I'm not going there today, but I do remember at one time that I thought of creating a dictionary of such words to ease theological dialogue.

For the record, here's what I wrote to our Baptist friend:
"There is an issue with definitions here I want to address. And that is the definition of 'apostolic'. It can mean many things. I took it to mean those groups who see themselves being led by bishops who can trace a lineage of both faith and ordination from the apostles. That would be Orthodox (Eastern or Oriental), Catholics, Anglicans, some Lutherans, some other groups. Generally not Baptists. How are you defining 'apostolic'? Probably differently. If so, by all means stay in the conversation, but be aware that most of the rest of us in this discussion are using the term the way I defined it above. Or at least I think that's what we have all been doing."

Upvote 0