Wherefore seeing we also are compassed about with so great a cloud of witnesses,

Walter and Deborah

Feb 10, 2015
U.S.A.
Visit site
✟189,580.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Hebrews 12:1-4
King James Version (KJV)

1 Wherefore seeing we also are compassed about with so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which doth so easily beset us, and let us run with patience the race that is set before us,

2 Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith; who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.

3 For consider him that endured such contradiction of sinners against himself, lest ye be wearied and faint in your minds.

4 Ye have not yet resisted unto blood, striving against sin.

Reactions: W2L

Paul of Eugene OR

Finally Old Enough
Site Supporter
May 3, 2014
✟256,002.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
What does this mean to you?
How do you throw off the entanglements that beset you?

You strive to do what is right regardless of the personal effort or personal cost.

How do you resist temptation untill you shed blood, do you know what it means?

If one is beaten or executed because of one's testimony for Jesus, that is resisting temptation to the shedding of blood.

Upvote 0

Paul of Eugene OR

Finally Old Enough
Site Supporter
May 3, 2014
✟256,002.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Yes or one changes habits, avoid certain people/places, programes etc

Is it possible to so struggle against temptation that one bleeds?

I suppose being on one's knees a long time could result in bloody knees, but the verse in Hebrews is talking about persecution.

Upvote 0

Walter and Deborah

Feb 10, 2015
U.S.A.
Visit site
✟189,580.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
What does this mean to you?
How do you throw off the entanglements that beset you?
How do you resist temptation untill you shed blood, do you know what it means?
I must say that each scripture is self explained, but the way that I look at them is speaking for themselves in each as they go in perfect order.

Upvote 0

Walter and Deborah

Feb 10, 2015
U.S.A.
Visit site
✟189,580.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
You strive to do what is right regardless of the personal effort or personal cost.

If one is beaten or executed because of one's testimony for Jesus, that is resisting temptation to the shedding of blood.
Amen

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Walter and Deborah

Feb 10, 2015
U.S.A.
Visit site
✟189,580.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
great verse. It's sad to see people of faith become discouraged and their walk drift as they age.
But I suggest: Faith without works is dead, because we are saved by his grace, not of works for man to boast.

Upvote 0

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I must say that each scripture is self explained, but the way that I look at them is speaking for themselves in each as they go in perfect order.

If we were perfect, with perfect understanding that would be a reasonable point of view, as it is it is an unsustained assumption.

When we go to church, part of the reason for going is to have the scriptures explained to us.

In the same way if a verse strikes you as being significant and you post it, you should also say why it is significant.

Then people will reply and we can share our understanding.

Upvote 0