Where was Jesus during the three days after his death on the cross?

Vesper_Jaye✝️

Truth-Seeker
Dec 29, 2021
the Kingdom of God
✟19,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I watched something about this recently! I forgot what it was and my internet isn’t working very well but I’ll post it later if I can find it.
Basically the video said that Jesus was in Hell, not to burn as punishment (because he said on the cross, it is finished, he didn’t go to Hell for our salvation) but to declare victory over the devil and the demons.

Reactions: Gary O'
Upvote 0

FutureAndAHope

Just me
Site Supporter
Aug 30, 2008
Australia
Visit site
✟735,652.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Jesus, who was God in the flesh, could have been in multiple places. Both in heaven:

Luke 23:43 And Jesus said unto him, Verily I say unto thee, To day shalt thou be with me in paradise.

and also in the grave:

1Pe 3:18-20 For Christ also hath once suffered for sins, the just for the unjust, that he might bring us to God, being put to death in the flesh, but quickened by the Spirit: By which also he went and preached unto the spirits in prison; Which sometime were disobedient, when once the longsuffering of God waited in the days of Noah, while the ark was a preparing, wherein few, that is, eight souls were saved by water.

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
I'm almost embarrassed to ask, but I don't know, and have been asked/challenged.
Need you guy's help

He was in the tomb. In John 20 He tells Mary He had not yet ascended to heaven.

John 20:17 Jesus *said to her, “Stop clinging to Me, for I have not yet ascended to the Father; but go to My brothers and say to them, ‘I am ascending to My Father and your Father, and My God and your God.’

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Jesus, who was God in the flesh, could have been in multiple places. Both in heaven: .

But according to Jesus' own words in John 20 - He was not in heaven - He had not yet ascended to heaven as of His resurrection on Sunday.

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
I watched something about this recently! I forgot what it was and my internet isn’t working very well but I’ll post it later if I can find it.
Basically the video said that Jesus was in Hell, not to burn as punishment (because he said on the cross, it is finished, he didn’t go to Hell for our salvation) but to declare victory over the devil and the demons.

Peter says our enemy the devil is still at work - seeking whom he may devour. 1 Peter 5:8

Paul says we are at war with him - in Eph 6.
2 Cor 4:4 says he is still "the god of this world".
Rev 20:1-4 says the devil is not bound until the millennium starts.

Upvote 0

Gary O'

Dec 27, 2020
Oregon
✟108,899.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Jesus, who was God in the flesh, could have been in multiple places. Both in heaven:

Luke 23:43 And Jesus said unto him, Verily I say unto thee, To day shalt thou be with me in paradise.

I have trouble with that.
Seems a bit conflicting.

John 20:17
Jesus said, “Do not hold on to me, for I have not yet ascended to the Father. Go instead to my brothers and tell them, ‘I am ascending to my Father and your Father, to my God and your God.’”

I'm thinking;
Verily I say unto thee today (even though it looks bad for both of us today) thou will be with me in paradise.

Love the comments, but need some input from some SDAs.
Maybe what EG White has on this, if anything.

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
I have trouble with that.
Seems a bit conflicting.

John 20:17
Jesus said, “Do not hold on to me, for I have not yet ascended to the Father. Go instead to my brothers and tell them, ‘I am ascending to my Father and your Father, to my God and your God.’”

I'm thinking;
Verily I say unto thee today (even though it looks bad for both of us today) thou will be with me in paradise.

Love the comments, but need some input from some SDAs.
Maybe what EG White has on this, if anything.

Try this.

Luke 23
42 And he was saying, “Jesus, remember me when You come into Your kingdom!” 43 And He said to him, “Truly I say to you today you WILL be with Me in Paradise.”

Looks consistent with John 20 that way.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
"There is no question now. There are no doubts, no reproaches. When condemned for his crime, the thief had become hopeless and despairing; but strange, tender thoughts now spring up. He calls to mind all he has heard of Jesus, how He has healed the sick and pardoned sin. He has heard the words of those who believed in Jesus and followed Him weeping. He has seen and read the title above the Saviour’s head. He has heard the passers-by repeat it, some with grieved, quivering lips, others with jesting and mockery. The Holy Spirit illuminates his mind, and little by little the chain of evidence is joined together. In Jesus, bruised, mocked, and hanging upon the cross, he sees the Lamb of God, that taketh away the sin of the world. Hope is mingled with anguish in his voice as the helpless, dying soul casts himself upon a dying Saviour. “Lord, remember me,” he cries, “when Thou comest into Thy kingdom.” {DA 750.1}

Quickly the answer came. Soft and melodious the tone, full of love, compassion, and power the words: Verily I say unto thee today, Thou shalt be with Me in paradise. {DA 750.2}

For long hours of agony, reviling and mockery have fallen upon the ears of Jesus. As He hangs upon the cross, there floats up to Him still the sound of jeers and curses. With longing heart He has listened for some expression of faith from His disciples. He has heard only the mournful words, “We trusted that it had been He which should have redeemed Israel.” How grateful then to the Saviour was the utterance of faith and love from the dying thief! While the leading Jews deny Him, and even the disciples doubt His divinity, the poor thief, upon the brink of eternity, calls Jesus Lord. Many were ready to call Him Lord when He wrought miracles, and after He had risen from the grave; but none acknowledged Him as He hung dying upon the cross save the penitent thief who was saved at the eleventh hour. {DA 750.3}

The bystanders caught the words as the thief called Jesus Lord. The tone of the repentant man arrested their attention. Those who at the foot of the cross had been quarreling over Christ’s garments, and casting lots upon His vesture, stopped to listen. Their angry tones were hushed. With bated breath they looked upon Christ, and waited for the response from those dying lips. {DA 751.1}

As He spoke the words of promise, the dark cloud that seemed to enshroud the cross was pierced by a bright and living light. To the penitent thief came the perfect peace of acceptance with God. Christ in His humiliation was glorified. He who in all other eyes appeared to be conquered was a Conqueror. He was acknowledged as the Sin Bearer. Men may exercise power over His human body. They may pierce the holy temples with the crown of thorns. They may strip from Him His raiment, and quarrel over its division. But they cannot rob Him of His power to forgive sins. In dying He bears testimony to His own divinity and to the glory of the Father. His ear is not heavy that it cannot hear, neither His arm shortened that it cannot save. It is His royal right to save unto the uttermost all who come unto God by Him. {DA 751.2}

I say unto thee today, Thou shalt be with Me in Paradise. Christ did not promise that the thief should be with Him in Paradise that day. He Himself did not go that day to Paradise. He slept in the tomb, and on the morning of the resurrection He said, “I am not yet ascended to My Father.” John 20:17. But on the day of the crucifixion, the day of apparent defeat and darkness, the promise was given. “Today” while dying upon the cross as a malefactor, Christ assures the poor sinner, Thou shalt be with Me in Paradise. {DA 751.3}

Upvote 0

FutureAndAHope

Just me
Site Supporter
Aug 30, 2008
Australia
Visit site
✟735,652.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
But according to Jesus' own words in John 20 - He was not in heaven - He had not yet ascended to heaven as of His resurrection on Sunday.

His body was not in heaven. But, just think for a minute, where was His Spirit. It was certainly not dead. God is a Spirit, His spirit can not die. For the whole time, Jesus was on earth the Holy Spirit, did not cease to exercise dominion in heaven, yet while Jesus ministered he could say "His body was the temple", where God dwells. The bible says the "fullness of the Godhead dwelt in Jesus bodily", and the bible says in Jesus "all things consist" and have their being. Jesus was both in heaven, as he said to the thief, "you will be with me today in paradise", and the grave, how could this be? The thief also was dead, his spirit was in heaven with God's. Jesus (as a spirit) could also be in the depths of the earth, ministering to the dead. Why? His spirit did not die, nor sleep, in fact, it is impossible for it to do so, for in Him all of creation consists.

Upvote 0

Halbhh

Everything You say is Life to me
Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,158,778.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'm almost embarrassed to ask, but I don't know, and have been asked/challenged.
Need you guy's help
For Christ also suffered once for sins, the righteous for the unrighteous, to bring you to God. He was put to death in the body but made alive in the Spirit. 19 After being made alive, he went and made proclamation to the imprisoned spirits— 20 to those who were disobedient long ago when God waited patiently in the days of Noah while the ark was being built...." -- 1rst Peter 3:18-20

As we recite periodically in most churches, the Apostle's Creed:
"He descended to hell " ( or 'to the dead')

Here's why:

For this is the reason the gospel was preached even to those who are now dead, so that they might be judged according to human standards in regard to the body, but live according to God in regard to the spirit.
1 Peter 4:6

• Informative
Reactions: Chris V++
Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
His body was not in heaven. But, just think for a minute, where was His Spirit. It was certainly not dead. God is a Spirit, His spirit can not die.

I agree that God did not die. But just as "God" could be in Pilates judgment hall - He could be in the tomb waiting.

Phil 2 says this
7 but emptied Himself, taking the form of a bond-servant, and being made in the likeness of men. 8 Being found in appearance as a man, He humbled Himself by becoming obedient to the point of death, even death on a cross

Acts 13 says this
33 that God has fulfilled this promise to our children in that He raised up Jesus, as it is also written in the second Psalm, ‘You are My Son; today I have begotten You.

So Jesus by His own force of will - and power - was not making Himself omin-present or any of His God powers while restraining Himself to serve on Earth as the Messiah.

He pleads with the Father

Matt 26:
39 And He went a little beyond them, and fell on His face and prayed, saying, “My Father, if it is possible, let this cup pass from Me; yet not as I will, but as You will.”

Jesus was deliberately limiting Himself.

Last edited:
  • Friendly
Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
For Christ also suffered once for sins, the righteous for the unrighteous, to bring you to God. He was put to death in the body but made alive in the Spirit. 19 After being made alive, he went and made proclamation to the imprisoned spirits— 20 to those who were disobedient long ago when God waited patiently in the days of Noah while the ark was being built...." -- 1rst Peter 3:18-20

As we recite periodically in most churches, the Apostle's Creed:
"He descended to hell " ( or 'to the dead')

Here's why:

For this is the reason the gospel was preached even to those who are now dead, so that they might be judged according to human standards in regard to the body, but live according to God in regard to the spirit.
1 Peter 4:6

1st Peter 3:8-20 is actually about Christ's work in real history at the time of Noah "while the ark was being built"

=========================================

As noted by the late J. Vernon McGee who is a famous radio evangelist/preacher non-SDA that had a program called "Through the Bible" where he was reading the entire Bible "with much commentary on his part" once very five years. He was a Presbyterian immortal-soul believing minister - who knew this key Bible detail about starting with 1 Peter 1 as context for 1 Peter 3.

1 Peter 1:10 As to this salvation, the prophets who prophesied of the grace that would come to you made careful searches and inquiries, 11 seeking to know what person or time the Spirit of Christ within them was indicating as He predicted the sufferings of Christ and the glories to follow.

Peter says it was Christ -- "the Spirit of Christ" that was actively speaking in the OT to the prophets (just as we SDAs believe in it was Christ speaking at Sinai - as Paul confirms in Heb 8).

So given that "context" in chapter 1... now lets go to chapter 3.

First of all - notice WHEN Christ was speaking and to whom.

1Pe 3:18-20 For Christ also hath once suffered for sins, the just for the unjust, that he might bring us to God, being put to death in the flesh, but quickened by the Spirit: By which also he went and preached unto the spirits in prison; Which sometime were disobedient, when once the longsuffering of God waited in the days of Noah, while the ark was a preparing, wherein few, that is, eight souls were saved by water.

18 For Christ also died for sins once for all, the just for the unjust, so that He might bring us to God, having been put to death in the flesh, but made alive in the spirit; 19 in which also He went and made proclamation to the spirits now in prison, 20 who once were disobedient, when the patience of God kept waiting in the days of Noah, during the construction of the ark, in which a few, that is, eight persons, were brought safely through the water. 21 Corresponding to that, baptism now saves you—not the removal of dirt from the flesh, but an appeal to God for a good conscience—through the resurrection of Jesus Christ, (NASB 1955)

1. Preached in the Spirit in which He went (the Spirit of Christ as per chapter 1)
  2. WHEN God was patiently waiting in the days of Noah for the ark to be completed. (Not destroying the world before the ark was completed.. patiently waiting)
  3. resulting in 8 people being saved.
  4. Corresponding to THAT baptism now saves (Corresponding to what? God waiting during the days of Noah for the ark to be built.. the ark saving exactly 8 people)
  5. "Baptism saves you" -- NOT by the power of sacramental waters cleaning the flesh... but by a direct appeal to God for a clean conscience on the part of the one being baptized
The Bible calls the grave a prison house

=================================================

Matthew Henry

1 Peter 3 - Henry's Complete Commentary on the Bible - Bible Commentaries - StudyLight.org

1. For the explication of this we may notice, (1.) The preacher - Christ Jesus, who has interested himself in the affairs of the church and of the world ever since he was first promised to Adam, Genesis 3:15. He went, not by a local motion, but by special operation, as God is frequently said to move, Genesis 11:5; Hosea 5:15; Micah 1:3. He went and preached, by his Spirit striving with them, and inspiring and enabling Enoch and Noah to plead with them, and preach righteousness to them, as 2 Peter 2:5. (2.) The hearers. Because they were dead and disembodied when the apostle speaks of them, therefore he properly calls them spirits now in prison; not that they were in prison when Christ preached to them, as the vulgar Latin translation and the popish expositors pretend. (3.) The sin of these people: They were disobedient, that is, rebellious, unpersuadable, and unbelieving, as the word signifies; this their sin is aggravated from the patience and long-suffering of God (which once waited upon them for 120 years together), while Noah was preparing the ark, and by that, as well as by his preaching, giving them fair warning of what was coming upon them. (4.) The event of all: Their bodies were drowned, and their spirits cast into hell (hades), which is called a prison (Matthew 5:25; 2 Peter 2:4, 2 Peter 2:5); but Noah and his family, who believed and were obedient, were saved in the ark.

1 Peter 3 Barnes' Notes
Albert Barnes Commentary

(b) He refers them to the patience and an age of great and abounding wickedness, when in the person of his representative and ambassador Noah, he suffered much and long from the opposition of the guilty and perverse people who were finally destroyed, and who are now held in prison, showing us how patient we ought to be when offended by others in our attempts to do them good, 1 Peter 3:19-20.

===================

The spirits "now in prison" -- now in the grave

Were once alive and specifically living during the time when the ark was being built - we have the example of the Spirit of Christ striving with the lost via Noah "a preacher of righteousness" 2 Pet 2:5

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Halbhh

Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
✟1,158,778.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
1st Peter 3:8-20 is actually about Christ's work in real history at the time of Noah "while the ark was being built"

=========================================

As noted by the late J. Vernon McGee who is a famous radio evangelist/preacher non-SDA that had a program called "Through the Bible" where he was reading the entire Bible "with much commentary on his part" once very five years. He was a Presbyterian immortal-soul believing minister - who knew this key Bible detail about starting with 1 Peter 1 as context for 1 Peter 3.

1 Peter 1:10 As to this salvation, the prophets who prophesied of the grace that would come to you made careful searches and inquiries, 11 seeking to know what person or time the Spirit of Christ within them was indicating as He predicted the sufferings of Christ and the glories to follow.

Peter says it was Christ -- "the Spirit of Christ" that was actively speaking in the OT to the prophets (just as we SDAs believe in it was Christ speaking at Sinai - as Paul confirms in Heb 8).

So given that "context" in chapter 1... now lets go to chapter 3.

First of all - notice WHEN Christ was speaking and to whom.

18 For Christ also died for sins once for all, the just for the unjust, so that He might bring us to God, having been put to death in the flesh, but made alive in the spirit; 19 in which also He went and made proclamation to the spirits now in prison, 20 who once were disobedient, when the patience of God kept waiting in the days of Noah, during the construction of the ark, in which a few, that is, eight persons, were brought safely through the water. 21 Corresponding to that, baptism now saves you—not the removal of dirt from the flesh, but an appeal to God for a good conscience—through the resurrection of Jesus Christ, (NASB 1955)

1. Preached in the Spirit in which He went (the Spirit of Christ as per chapter 1)
  2. WHEN God was patiently waiting in the days of Noah for the ark to be completed. (Not destroying the world before the ark was completed.. patiently waiting)
  3. resulting in 8 people being saved.
  4. Corresponding to THAT baptism now saves (Corresponding to what? God waiting during the days of Noah for the ark to be built.. the ark saving exactly 8 people)
  5. "Baptism saves you" -- NOT by the power of sacramental waters cleaning the flesh... but by a direct appeal to God for a clean conscience on the part of the one being baptized
The Bible calls the grave a prison house

=================================================

Matthew Henry

1 Peter 3 - Henry's Complete Commentary on the Bible - Bible Commentaries - StudyLight.org

1. For the explication of this we may notice, (1.) The preacher - Christ Jesus, who has interested himself in the affairs of the church and of the world ever since he was first promised to Adam, Genesis 3:15. He went, not by a local motion, but by special operation, as God is frequently said to move, Genesis 11:5; Hosea 5:15; Micah 1:3. He went and preached, by his Spirit striving with them, and inspiring and enabling Enoch and Noah to plead with them, and preach righteousness to them, as 2 Peter 2:5. (2.) The hearers. Because they were dead and disembodied when the apostle speaks of them, therefore he properly calls them spirits now in prison; not that they were in prison when Christ preached to them, as the vulgar Latin translation and the popish expositors pretend. (3.) The sin of these people: They were disobedient, that is, rebellious, unpersuadable, and unbelieving, as the word signifies; this their sin is aggravated from the patience and long-suffering of God (which once waited upon them for 120 years together), while Noah was preparing the ark, and by that, as well as by his preaching, giving them fair warning of what was coming upon them. (4.) The event of all: Their bodies were drowned, and their spirits cast into hell (hades), which is called a prison (Matthew 5:25; 2 Peter 2:4, 2 Peter 2:5); but Noah and his family, who believed and were obedient, were saved in the ark.

1 Peter 3 Barnes' Notes
Albert Barnes Commentary

(b) He refers them to the patience and an age of great and abounding wickedness, when in the person of his representative and ambassador Noah, he suffered much and long from the opposition of the guilty and perverse people who were finally destroyed, and who are now held in prison, showing us how patient we ought to be when offended by others in our attempts to do them good, 1 Peter 3:19-20.

===================

The spirits "now in prison" -- now in the grave

Were once alive and specifically living during the time when the ark was being built - we have the example of the Spirit of Christ striving with the lost via Noah "a preacher of righteousness" 2 Pet 2:5
And Christ went to them (3:18-20) and proclaimed to them --

18 For Christ also suffered once for sins, the righteous for the unrighteous, to bring you to God. He was put to death in the body but made alive in the Spirit. 19 After being made alive, he went and made proclamation to the imprisoned spirits— 20 to those who were disobedient long ago when God waited patiently in the days of Noah while the ark was being built. ..."

In chapter 4 we read what was the message He proclaimed to those dead, the 'spirits in prison' -->

1 Peter 4:6 That is why the gospel was preached even to those who are now dead, so that they might be judged as men in the flesh, but live according to God in the spirit.

• Informative
Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
And Christ went to them (3:18-20) and proclaimed to them --

18 For Christ also suffered once for sins, the righteous for the unrighteous, to bring you to God. He was put to death in the body but made alive in the Spirit. 19 After being made alive, he went and made proclamation to the imprisoned spirits— 20 to those who were disobedient long ago when God waited patiently in the days of Noah while the ark was being built. ..."

In chapter 4 we read what was the message He proclaimed to those dead, the 'spirits in prison' -->

1 Peter 4:6 That is why the gospel was preached even to those who are now dead, so that they might be judged as men in the flesh, but live according to God in the spirit.

Heb 9 "It is appointed to man once to die and then comes the judgment" .. not "it is appointed unto man once die and then more gospel preaching" ... millions if not billions have died without first hearing the Gospel.

1 Peter 3 is the text you quote and it does not say "all mankind before the cross" rather it specifically says "WHILE the ark was being built" and this is "WHEN God waited patiently" because as 2 Peter 2 informs us - Noah was preaching to them WHILE the ark was being built.

So then 1 Peter 1 has the right context telling us it was the "Spirit of Christ" speaking to the OT saints while they were living.

Upvote 0

Halbhh

Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
✟1,158,778.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Heb 9 "It is appointed to man once to die and then comes the judgment" .. not "it is appointed unto man once die and then more gospel preaching" ... millions if not billions have died without first hearing the Gospel.

1 Peter 3 is the text you quote and it does not say "all mankind before the cross" rather it specifically says "WHILE the ark was being built" and this is "WHEN God waited patiently" because as 2 Peter 2 informs us - Noah was preaching to them WHILE the ark was being built.

So then 1 Peter 1 has the right context telling us it was the "Spirit of Christ" speaking to the OT saints while they were living.
Not "more" gospel preaching -- you have that right.

Not more.

For the first time ever. (the 'gospel' of Christ is the Good News of Jesus Christ: That He came here and died on the cross to save us from our sins. So, the gospel was not available before He did so, but became available for the first time ever on that day)

See?

• Agree
Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married

Not "more" gospel preaching -- you have that right.

Not more.

For the first time ever.

"And then comes judgment" not "and then comes Gospel preaching"

The 1 Peter 3 text you reference only saved 8 people according to your own text and is only preached "while God was waiting WHEN the ark was being built"

Upvote 0

Halbhh

Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
✟1,158,778.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
"And then comes judgment" not "and then comes Gospel preaching"

The 1 Peter 3 text you reference only saved 8 people according to your own text and is only preached "while God was waiting WHEN the ark was being built"
Let's just read the words:

"...He was put to death in the body but made alive in the Spirit. 19 After being made alive, he went and made proclamation to the imprisoned spirits— "

See it now? The words are referring to when Christ died on the cross --
1) "put to death in the body"

and then He was

2) "made alive in the Spirit"

and then:

3) "After being made alive" -- "after" (see that word: "after"?),

Then after He was made alive in the Spirit, having died physically on the cross, He then descended to the dead, and proclaimed to them.

Now can you see the words? It's easier to see them all when you put aside preconceived ideas (or ideas from whomever etc. person), and just listen to the words, fully listening.

Upvote 0