Where was Adam, & or what was he doing while Eve was tempted?

• Scripture does not say (We should not speculate).

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Scripture does not say.

• While Scripture does not say, it is possible Adam was trimming the tree on the opposite side.

• While Scripture does not say, it is possible Adam was several feet away in a nearby tree.

• The trees and their fruits are metaphors and not literal.

• While Scripture does not say, I believe Adam was doing [other activity]. (Please explain).

• Other (Please explain).

• Total voters

Bible Highlighter

Law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul.
Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,187,903.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Where was Adam, & or what was he doing while Eve was tempted?

Behold the scene:

Genesis 3:
(King James 2000)

v. 1 "Now the serpent was more subtle than any beast of the field which the LORD God had made. And...

he [the Serpent]
said unto the woman,
"Yea, has God said,
'you shall not eat of every
tree of the garden?'
"

v. 2 And...
The woman [Eve]
said unto the serpent,
"We may eat of the fruit of
the trees of the garden:"

v. 3
[Eve]
"But of the fruit of the tree which is
in the midst of the garden,
God has said, 'You shall not eat of it,
neither shall you touch it, lest you die
.'
"

v. 4
The Serpent
said unto the woman,
"You shall not surely die:"

v. 5
[Serpent]
"For God does know that in the day
you eat thereof,
then your eyes shall be opened,
and you shall be as gods,
knowing good and evil."
v. 6 And when the woman saw that the tree was good for food, and that it was pleasant to the eyes, and a tree to be desired to make one wise, she took of the fruit thereof, and did eat, and gave also unto her husband with her; and he did eat.

v. 7 And the eyes of them both were opened, and they knew that they were naked; and they sewed fig leaves together, and made themselves aprons.

v. 8 And they heard the voice of the LORD God walking in the garden in the cool of the day: and Adam and his wife hid themselves from the presence of the LORD God among the trees of the garden.

v. 9 And...
the LORD God
called unto Adam, and said unto him,
"Where are you?""

(Genesis 3:1-9).

Bible Highlighter

Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,187,903.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
A Biblical facts to take into account in this story:

Biblical Fact #1. - Adam was not deceived directly by the serpent.

"And Adam was not deceived,
but the woman being deceived
was in the transgression."
(1 Timothy 2:14).​

Biblical Fact #2. - Eve alone was talking with the serpent.

(See: Genesis 3:1-5 above).​

Biblical Fact #3. - Adam was with Eve in some way.

"...she took of the fruit thereof, and did eat,
and gave also unto her husband with her; and he did eat."
(Genesis 3:6).​

Conclusion so far:

So it appears that Adam was not present before the serpent, but yet he was with his wife to some capacity.

Hopefully, this will help to clarify the possibilities of what may have happened and shed light on a pattern we may see elsewhere in Scripture.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,187,903.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
While I am not stating it as biblical fact, I believe the most likely possibility is that Adam was probably sleeping a few feet away from Eve during the time Eve was being tempted by the serpent. If such were the case, I believe it would explain a pattern we see in Scripture.

Again, I am not stating this as biblical fact, but as merely as a possibility.
In fact, I look forward to ask my Lord Jesus Christ what really happened when I am with Him in the Kingdom.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,187,903.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Interesting take away in this real life narrative:

While we ponder where was Adam (while he was with her) when Eve was being tempted by the serpent, it is interesting to point out that God asked where Adam and Eve were (While they hid themselves).

Where was Adam?

Upvote 0

Charlie24

Oct 17, 2014
✟103,731.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
I see it a different way.

We know that Adam was not deceived, so when he ate the fruit he knew what he was doing, not being fooled by the serpent or Eve. She was the one fooled.

I believe Adam was there and heard every word in the conversation, he simply didn't believe what God had said.

I think it's an example of mans free will to choose, he can choose whether he believes God or not. Man always chooses his way concerning God, that's why we must completely surrender to Christ and be led by the Spirit.

If Adam ate the fruit without knowing what was happening, he would have been deceived. But the scripture says he was not deceived. He saw through all of it and chose not to believe God.

I suppose there is no way of knowing for sure, but this is my take on what happened.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,187,903.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I see it a different way.

We know that Adam was not deceived, so when he ate the fruit he knew what he was doing, not being fooled by the serpent or Eve. She was the one fooled.

I believe Adam was there and heard every word in the conversation, he simply didn't believe what God had said.

I think it's an example of mans free will to choose, he can choose whether he believes God or not. Man always chooses his way concerning God, that's why we must completely surrender to Christ and be led by the Spirit.

If Adam ate the fruit without knowing what was happening, he would have been deceived. But the scripture says he was not deceived. He saw through all of it and chose not to believe God.

I suppose there is no way of knowing for sure, but this is my take on what happened.

I never considered he would be quietly standing by while he heard the serpent tempt Eve. Anything is certainly possible. The text does not specifically say one way or the other. I just know that if I was in a similar situation, I would want to say something at some point so as to protect my wife. Also, Scripture says Adam was given the fruit by his wife, and he was not being deceived by the serpent to eat of it. If he was awake, or present so as to listen to the serpent, he would have bought into its lie on some level as a part of Eve's temptation towards him in getting him to eat of the forbidden fruit. So I see the scenario that you describe as being highly unlikely given the biblical facts presented to us. For...

[GOD said]
"...Who told you that you were naked?
Have you eaten of the tree,
of which I commanded you
that you should not eat?"
(Genesis 3:11).​

[Adam said]
"The woman whom you gave
to be with me,
she gave me of the tree,
and I did eat."
(Genesis 3:12).

The Lord GOD said
unto the woman,
"What is this that you have done?"

[Eve said]
"The serpent beguiled me, and I did eat."
(Genesis 3:13).

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,187,903.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
@Bible Highlighter I believe Adam was there too (with Eve). I think he wasn't just serious about stopping/leading/guiding Eve from what she was doing.

I believe Adam was with Eve while the serpent beguiled her. I just believe that Adam was asleep while she was being tricked by the devil. There are warnings in Scripture so as not to sleep so as not to fall into temptation (Which leads to sin). For example: In another garden at another time: Jesus told His disciples to stay awake and pray so as not to be led into temptation. Instead, they slept. Lot was most likely in a sleep like state in his drunkenness and the sin of his daughters happened (For Lot was not aware of what his daughters did to him while he was drunk). I also believe something similar happened involving the story of Noah, and Ham but it is not in the popular story that most people are aware of. You can check that out on the forums here (if you are interested):

CF Thread - Biblical Metaphors Shed Light on Ham's Sin in Noah's Tent.

Christians are told to be watchful and ready for the Rapture, obviously so that they will not miss out on it.

We are told by Peter,

"Be sober-minded; be watchful.
Your adversary the devil prowls around like a roaring lion,
seeking someone to devour." (1 Peter 5:8) (ESV).​

Paul tells us,

"Awake to righteousness, and sin not;
for some have not the knowledge of God:
I speak this to your shame." (1 Corinthians 15:34).
For Isaiah 28:10 says,
"For precept must be upon precept, precept upon precept; line upon line, line upon line; here a little, and there a little:"

Granted, Adam may not have been asleep, and he may have been on the other side of the tree trimming it's branches, or working to gather fruit in the tree next to it, etc.; Certainly anything is possible, I just see it as highly unlikely that Adam would not buy into the lie that the serpent was selling and yet still eat of the fruit by the hand of Eve.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,187,903.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Obviously, Eve had him cutting the grass or fixing up some new shelves etc!

Cutting the forbidden tree's branches on the other side of the tree by his wife's command so as to make the garden look more pretty or orderly is certainly within the realm of possibility. While he was trimming the tree on the one side of the forbidden tree, she could have been tempted by the serpent on the other side of the forbidden tree (while he was working close by). In this sense, he would technically be with her still.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

GospelS

A Daughter of Zion Seeking Her Father in Heaven!
Supporter
Aug 1, 2017
She is The Land!
✟441,830.00
Country
India
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I believe Adam was with Eve while the serpent beguiled her. I just believe that Adam was asleep while she was being tricked by the devil. There are warnings in Scripture so as not to sleep so as not to fall into temptation (Which leads to sin). For example: In another garden at another time: Jesus told His disciples to stay away and pray so as not to be led into temptation. Instead, they slept. Lot slept from drunkenness and the sin of his daughters happened. I also believe something similar happened involving the story of Noah, and Ham but it is not in the popular story that most people are aware of. You can check that out on the forums here (if you are interested):

CF Thread - Biblical Metaphors Shed Light on Ham's Sin in Noah's Tent.

Christians are told to be watchful and ready for the Rapture, obviously so that they will not miss out on it.

We are told by Peter,

"Be sober-minded; be watchful.
Your adversary the devil prowls around like a roaring lion,
seeking someone to devour." (1 Peter 5:8) (ESV).​

Paul tells us,

"Awake to righteousness, and sin not;
for some have not the knowledge of God:
I speak this to your shame." (1 Corinthians 15:34).
For Isaiah 28:10 says,
"For precept must be upon precept, precept upon precept; line upon line, line upon line; here a little, and there a little:"

Granted, Adam may not have been asleep, and he may have been on the other side of the tree trimming it's branches, or working to gather fruit in the tree next to it, etc. Certainly anything is possible, I just see it as highly unlikely that he would not buy into the lie that the serpent was selling and yet still eating of the fruit by the hand of Eve.

I don't think Adam knew the conservation between Eve and the serpent. May be he just came or awake when Eve was plucking the fruit. But he possibly knew before eating that it was a forbidden fruit.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,187,903.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I don't think Adam knew the conservation between Eve and the serpent. May be he just came or awake when Eve was plucking the fruit. But he possibly knew before eating that it was a forbidden fruit.

Yes, I agree with this.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,187,903.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

Side Note:

BTW ~ A Christian friend of mine I talk with a lot at work involving the Bible is from India. We have had a lot of great conversations over the past few months. Unfortunately, I will not see him until the end of April, though (Lord willing).

Anyways, blessings to you in the Lord, and stay safe.

• Friendly
Reactions: GospelS
Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,187,903.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Also, it is interesting that both Adam and Eve's eyes were opened to their nakedness, and they gained the knowledge of good and evil. If Adam was asleep and being awakened to his wife giving him the forbidden fruit, this would be a yet another parallel. Well, again, this is still only a possibility, and not a biblical fact, or anything.

Upvote 0