St. John
✟11,345.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So... I hope this isn't against any rules. Wondering where I should turn for advice about guilt. Specifically, I hold deep guilt because a friend had an abortion 5 years ago that I believe I could have stopped. I prayed and appealed to the friend and God, but I wasn't bold enough to really advocate. What board could I take this to to sort it out?

Deade

Called of God
Supporter
Dec 17, 2017
Vinita, OK
Visit site
✟274,266.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Hello speciala,
welcome to CF.

I hope you'll enjoy your stay here.

View attachment 293198

fd7445a8082591feec2da4bf0c2396de.gif

Upvote 0

Aussie Pete

Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,030.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
So... I hope this isn't against any rules. Wondering where I should turn for advice about guilt. Specifically, I hold deep guilt because a friend had an abortion 5 years ago that I believe I could have stopped. I prayed and appealed to the friend and God, but I wasn't bold enough to really advocate. What board could I take this to to sort it out?
Try the Bible. 1 John 1:9 If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

To forgive means to release from a debt that we owe. If God is not holding something against you, why should you condemn yourself? And to blame yourself for another's issue is pointless.

The whole point of Jesus shedding His blood for us is that we should live as forgiven and clean people. There is now no condemnation to those in Christ Jesus. Note the full stop.

Upvote 0

Rodan6

Supporter
Sep 11, 2016
Highland, CA
✟86,675.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Feelings of guilt and regret are not very spiritually productive. You say that you gave counsel on this issue, and from a spiritual perspective, this is the extent of what you are allowed to do. The choice to have or not to have this abortion was NOT yours to make (unless you were the pregnant party or directly involved in creating the pregnancy). To forcefully make this choice for another is not allowed. God does not desire that we impose our will upon others. You may counsel as circumstances dictate, but momentous decisions must ultimately be made by the individuals involved.

Upvote 0

Michie

Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,585,734.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Feelings of guilt and regret are not very spiritually productive. You say that you gave counsel on this issue, and from a spiritual perspective, this is the extent of what you are allowed to do. The choice to have or not to have this abortion was NOT yours to make (unless you were the pregnant party or directly involved in creating the pregnancy). To forcefully make this choice for another is not allowed. God does not desire that we impose our will upon others. You may counsel as circumstances dictate, but momentous decisions must ultimately be made by the individuals involved.
Funny. I was asked whether I assisted or supported abortion in my first confession. Oh well...

Upvote 0

Junia

May 17, 2020
Bristol
✟31,159.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Try the Bible. 1 John 1:9 If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

To forgive means to release from a debt that we owe. If God is not holding something against you, why should you condemn yourself? And to blame yourself for another's issue is pointless.

The whole point of Jesus shedding His blood for us is that we should live as forgiven and clean people. There is now no condemnation to those in Christ Jesus. Note the full stop.
I

Amen

I think guilt is counterproductive to.enjoying Jesus is in our daily walk with Him

Upvote 0

MaxQ

Cow Cuddler
Jan 20, 2021
Brisbane
✟8,373.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Naturalist
Marital Status
Single
That's odd? You suffer guilt for someone else's choice. Maybe you should re-think what guilt is telling you, maybe so, maybe you don't know you well enough to understand guilt itself.

Reactions: Deade
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums