Where is the real argument between the seventh day and the first?

Saint Steven

You can call me Steve
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2018
Minneapolis, MN
✟930,116.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So, I'm trying to understand where the real issue is here. Those defending the seventh day Sabbath (as a day of rest) are standing against those who attend church on the first day of the week, Sunday. (a day of worship) When in most cases, none of us work on the weekend. (rest from occupational work) Not sure what we are fighting about.

Those who attend church on Sunday, say they do so because we are not under the law. Those who attend church on the seventh day Sabbath say the law is still in force. (but in a limited way)

Those who observe the seventh day Sabbath now say there is no commandment to gather on the seventh day Sabbath. But they criticize those who gather on the first day of the week as honoring the traditions of man rather than the commandments of God. Even though they gather not according to a commandment, but according to -- you got it -- the traditions of man.

Leaves me wondering what exactly it is that we are fighting about.

Interwoven into Romans chapter fourteen are several guiding principles. If we steer around (remove) the specifics about the law, we are left with just those guiding principles. Notice the three "therefore"s toward the end.

Romans 14:1, 4-8, 10, 13, 16, 19, 22
1 Accept the one whose faith is weak, without quarreling over disputable matters. ...
4 Who are you to judge someone else’s servant? To their own master, servants stand or fall. And they will stand, for the Lord is able to make them stand. 5 One person considers one day more sacred than another; another considers every day alike. Each of them should be fully convinced in their own mind. 6 Whoever regards one day as special does so to the Lord. 7 For none of us lives for ourselves alone, and none of us dies for ourselves alone. 8 If we live, we live for the Lord; and if we die, we die for the Lord. So, whether we live or die, we belong to the Lord. ...
10 You, then, why do you judge your brother or sister? Or why do you treat them with contempt? For we will all stand before God’s judgment seat. ...
13 Therefore let us stop passing judgment on one another. Instead, make up your mind not to put any stumbling block or obstacle in the way of a brother or sister. ...
16 Therefore do not let what you know is good be spoken of as evil. ...
19 Let us therefore make every effort to do what leads to peace and to mutual edification. ...
22 So whatever you believe about these things keep between yourself and God. ...

Last edited:

Saint Steven

You can call me Steve
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2018
Minneapolis, MN
✟930,116.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You seem to be making things up as you go along. If you do not read the posts of others how will you know what they are posting about?
I guess you didn't read the OP.

Upvote 0

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟324,863.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
So, I'm trying to understand where the real issue is here. Those defending the seventh day Sabbath (as a day of rest) are standing against those who attend church on the first day of the week, Sunday. (a day of worship) When in most cases, none of us work on the weekend. (rest from occupational work) Not sure what we are fighting about.

Those who attend church on Sunday, say they do so because we are not under the law. Those who attend church on the seventh day Sabbath say the law is still in force. (but in a limited way)

Those who observe the seventh day Sabbath now say there is no commandment to gather on the seventh day Sabbath. But they criticize those who gather on the first day of the week as honoring the traditions of man rather than the commandments of God. Even though they gather not according to a commandment, but according to -- you got it -- the traditions of man.

Leaves me wondering what exactly it is that we are fighting about.

What we are arguing over, in the end, is who has the authority to decide the Christian day of worship. The choices are:

1. The Church
2. Some layman

I'm going with the Church on this.

Reactions: Saint Steven
Upvote 0

Saint Steven

You can call me Steve
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2018
Minneapolis, MN
✟930,116.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
What we are arguing over, in the end, is who has the authority to decide the Christian day of worship. The choices are:

1. The Church
2. Some layman

I'm going with the Church on this.
But those in support of the seventh day Sabbath say it is not about a day of worship. (because there is no commandment in the law for a day of worship) They say it is about a day of rest.

Furthermore, the church was gathering on the first day of the week centuries before "the Church" officially existed.

Last edited:
Upvote 0