Where is the biblical proof for a private prayer language in tongues?

joshua 1 9

Site Supporter
May 11, 2015
Northern Ohio
✟314,577.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Reactions: His student
Upvote 0

Carl Emerson

Dec 18, 2017
Auckland
✟380,060.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
1 Cor 14:28

but if there is no interpreter, he must keep silent in the church; and let him speak to himself and to God

This would seem to indicate that if someone brings a tongue that is not interpreted that they are uttering a tongue that is meant for private prayer, but bringing it in a public place by mistake.

Upvote 0

BCsenior

Still an evangelist
Aug 31, 2017
British Columbia
✟72,426.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Before I chime in on this with an answer, are you likely to actually read and consider my words?
Or will they be summarily used for target practice?
Yes, indeed, he is big-time deceived about the Spirit baptism and everything about it.
Like most people who INSIST that doctrines they have been brainwashed with are the truth.

Upvote 0

Carl Emerson

Dec 18, 2017
Auckland
✟380,060.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Before I chime in on this with an answer, are you likely to actually read and consider my words? Or will they be summarily used for target practice?

Who are you referring to ???

• Agree
Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul.
Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,200.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
This is considered to be a Heavenly language: "1Co13:1 "If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am a noisy gong or a clanging cymbal."

In regards to 1 Corinthians 13:1: Well, this article says it better than I can.

Some proponents of the gift of tongues teach that 1 Corinthians 13:1 suggests that there exists a heavenly or angelic language enabled by the Holy Spirit. However, the passage is a use of hyperbolic extremes.

“If I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but do not have love, I have become a noisy gong or a clanging cymbal. If I have the gift of prophecy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge; and if I have all faith, so as to remove mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing” (1 Cor. 13:1-2).​

To remove mountains, know all mysteries, have all knowledge, and possess all faith are not possible. We are not omniscient nor omnipotent. More to the point of the passage, the purpose is to teach that even the greatest manifestation of a spiritual gift is worthless without love. Even more, the passage teaches that gifts are to be used in love towards others, while expressing the eternal nature of love and temporal nature of spiritual gifts. So, “tongues of angels,” better rendered, “languages of angels,” is hyperbole to serve the point.

Further, it should be noted that throughout history, when angels spoke, they did so in intelligible earthly languages without the need of an interpretive gift (e.g. Gen. 19:2, Jos. 5:14, Isa. 6:3, Luke 1:30-33, Rev. 21:9. Of all the times angels spoke, not once did they do so in ecstatic utterances. Therefore, there is no such thing as a gift of tongues which is a heavenly/angelic language.

Article Source:
The Cripple Gate
(Note: I agree with this article, but I do not agree with all of what this website proposes).

You said:

Was Jesus referring to the early church apostles who are the foundation of the saints, or was He referring also to the saints that are built upon the foundation of the apostles?

19 "Now therefore ye are no more strangers and foreigners, but fellowcitizens with the saints, and of the household of God;
20 And are built upon the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Jesus Christ himself being the chief corner stone;" (Ephesians 2:19-20).​

We (believers today) are built upon the foundation of the apostles and Jesus Christ. So there is a distinction between the apostles and believers even in whom Paul was writing to in Ephesus.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Tigger45
Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,200.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Before I chime in on this with an answer, are you likely to actually read and consider my words? Or will they be summarily used for target practice?

I am only interested in a biblical defense of a private prayer tongues language and I am not interested in personal experiences as proof, etc.; In other words, if you talk about the Bible to defend your viewpoint on this topic, I will strive to stick to the discussion of this topic with Scripture also. Your words should not enter the equation because this thread is about talking about the Bible to establish a particular belief.

I hope this helps, and may God bless you.

Reactions: Ricky M
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,200.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
What do you mean by private prayer language?
Like having a specific language for prayer?

I am talking about those who believe they can speak in tongues as part of their praying to God behind closed doors (When nobody is around).

• Informative
Reactions: Not David
Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,200.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Go into your prayer closet and the Father will hear you in secret. Private indeed.

I am not against what Matthew 6:6 says. We are to surely pray in private and not so as to be seen by men always. The point I am trying to make is do we see anything in the Bible about praying in tongues language (glossolalia) in the privacy of one's own home or room (where nobody sees us)?

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,200.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

but if there is no interpreter, he must keep silent in the church; and let him speak to himself and to God

This would seem to indicate that if someone brings a tongue that is not interpreted that they are uttering a tongue that is meant for private prayer, but bringing it in a public place by mistake.

26 "Let all things be done unto edifying.
27 If any man speak in an unknown tongue, let it be by two, or at the most by three, and that by course; and let one interpret.
28 But if there be no interpreter, let him keep silence in the church; and let him speak to himself, and to God." (1 Corinthians 14:28).

Verse 28 is not suggesting that we can pray in tongues in private.
How so?
Well, Paul is condemning the idea of not having the understanding.

14 "For if I pray in an unknown tongue, my spirit prayeth, but my understanding is unfruitful.
15 What is it then? I will pray with the spirit, and I will pray with the understanding also:"
(1 Corinthians 14:14-15).

Paul says that tongues without an interpreter is confusion:

"God is not the author of confusion," (1 Corinthians 14:33).

"He that speaketh in an unknown tongue edifieth himself; but he that prophesieth [i.e. the interpreter] edifieth the church." (1 Corinthians 14:4).

We are told to let all things be done unto edifying others or the church. We are not to edify or uplift ourselves. The body of Christ or the brethren is the one in whom we are to edify or build up.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,200.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

Also, Jesus condemned the idea of vain repetitious prayer. Most tongue speaking nowadays is a repeat of certain words that are not understood (i.e. they are words said in vain). Jesus said that there are those who think they will be heard for their much speaking. It is similar to mindless chanting that is done in other religions. Real biblical tongues was a gift to the early church and it was a real foreign language so as to reach others (Who spoke another language) for the cause of Christ. The interpreter would be there so as to help those who were present understand what was being said.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Carl Emerson

Dec 18, 2017
Auckland
✟380,060.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Also, Jesus condemned the idea of vain repetitious prayer. Most tongue speaking nowadays is a repeat of certain words that are not understood (i.e. they are words said in vain). Jesus said that there are those who think they will be heard for their much speaking. It is similar to mindless chanting that is done in other religions. Real biblical tongues was a gift to the early church and it was a real foreign language so as to reach others (Who spoke another language) for the cause of Christ. The interpreter would be there so as to help those who were present understand what was being said.

Do you believe tongues and prophecy genuinely operate today at all ?

• Useful
Upvote 0

Ricky M

Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2017
Los Angeles
✟130,544.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Yes, indeed, he is big-time deceived about the Spirit baptism and everything about it.
Like most people who INSIST that doctrines they have been brainwashed with are the truth.
I understand that people have different interpretations and beliefs, and they are welcome to have them, but I promised myself I wouldn't spar with people who are only looking for things to shoot down anymore.

Upvote 0

topher694

Go Turtle!
Jan 29, 2019
St. Cloud, MN
✟186,960.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I was going to chime in with an answer, but I decided against it for this very reason. It's just not worth it.

Upvote 0