Where is God in our fallen world?

Not_By_Chance

Site Supporter
May 25, 2015
✟62,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Everyone knows that there are terrible things happening in this world all the time, but what I can’t seem to find an answer to is where is God when people really need him the most?

Let me mention an example, which I happened to see on catchup TV last night. The documentary was about people (mostly women and children) captured by the so-called Islamic State. The documentary was a couple of years out-of-date but it was following the incredibly-brave men who were literally risking their lives to rescue some of the captives taken by the terrorists and it made the point that the window of opportunity to rescue anyone was closing fast. What really upset me was hearing about girls as young as 6 being raped and girls being forced into “marriage” at 9 years of age. Two of the girls successfully rescued were just turning 9, so they only got them out just in time and were able to re-unite them with what remained of their families. But what of the many others that didn’t make it? My question is, why does God not prevent these poor people and especially the children from suffering such heinous crimes at the hands of those monsters? This leads on to where was God when the likes of Hitler were slaughtering the innocents? Where was he when the people in Grenfell Tower in London were recently being choked to death by thick black smoke or waiting to be burned alive, just like they were at the time of the twin towers attack? Where was he when the suicide bomber struck in Manchester, killing lots of children or the terrorists were running people over in the streets of London and other European cities? Looking at these events or worse still, being caught up in them, one could easily conclude that God, if he exists at all, doesn’t care about our suffering because he doesn’t seem to want to help those in most need. Yes, I realise that we live in a fallen world, but it does seem that since Jesus left to ascend to heaven we have largely been left to our own fate. I further realise that many of the things I have mentioned are man-made, but one could cite many that aren’t (e.g., diseases like the plague and smallpox) and whether they originate from man or other sources, the suffering they inflict is the same. It’s hard enough trying to comprehend all this when one does believe in God, but how would you explain this to someone who doesn’t believe in God in the first place?

• Winner
Reactions: CrystalDragon

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
It’s hard enough trying to comprehend all this when one does believe in God, but how would you explain this to someone who doesn’t believe in God in the first place?
Scripturally.

i.e. read, and read , and read more, for the answer to all those perplexities is clearly described by YHWH (THE CREATOR) in HIS WORD (THE BIBLE).

Men are not faithful , except in a few cases, but YHWH is always faithful and true.

Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Everyone knows that there are terrible things happening in this world all the time, but what I can’t seem to find an answer to is where is God when people really need him the most?

Let me mention an example, which I happened to see on catchup TV last night. The documentary was about people (mostly women and children) captured by the so-called Islamic State. The documentary was a couple of years out-of-date but it was following the incredibly-brave men who were literally risking their lives to rescue some of the captives taken by the terrorists and it made the point that the window of opportunity to rescue anyone was closing fast. What really upset me was hearing about girls as young as 6 being raped and girls being forced into “marriage” at 9 years of age. Two of the girls successfully rescued were just turning 9, so they only got them out just in time and were able to re-unite them with what remained of their families. But what of the many others that didn’t make it? My question is, why does God not prevent these poor people and especially the children from suffering such heinous crimes at the hands of those monsters? This leads on to where was God when the likes of Hitler were slaughtering the innocents? Where was he when the people in Grenfell Tower in London were recently being choked to death by thick black smoke or waiting to be burned alive, just like they were at the time of the twin towers attack? Where was he when the suicide bomber struck in Manchester, killing lots of children or the terrorists were running people over in the streets of London and other European cities? Looking at these events or worse still, being caught up in them, one could easily conclude that God, if he exists at all, doesn’t care about our suffering because he doesn’t seem to want to help those in most need. Yes, I realise that we live in a fallen world, but it does seem that since Jesus left to ascend to heaven we have largely been left to our own fate. I further realise that many of the things I have mentioned are man-made, but one could cite many that aren’t (e.g., diseases like the plague and smallpox) and whether they originate from man or other sources, the suffering they inflict is the same. It’s hard enough trying to comprehend all this when one does believe in God, but how would you explain this to someone who doesn’t believe in God in the first place?
Thank you for posting this.

For Christians they should be seeing God in this fallen world in their church.

For non-believers they should be seeing God in this fallen world by what the church does in it, and not succumbing to it.

Make sense?

Upvote 0

Dave G.

May 22, 2017
Sandiwich
✟323,779.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
God is exactly where He is supposed to be in this fallen world and it is not only a fallen world but this stuff was predicted !! So why would anyone ask unless they just just were never informed or don't understand what is clearly written . And incidentally, these events will continue, in fact predicted to increase the more the world falls away. This world is not our home, we are here on temporary duty.

Upvote 0

Sarah G

Pro-peace, anti-war, anti-violence.
Site Supporter
Jun 29, 2017
Netherlands
✟131,322.00
Country
Netherlands
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Despite Satan causing all these horrific things to happen people are still basically good. Despite being constantly bombarded with all of this terrible news there are still righteous people. I know people who have been through such awful, heart breaking things that they have every right to be angry with God or deny His existence but they don't. They still have faith in God and believe in righteousness. There are always people that will stand up to help. After the Grenfell Towers tragedy people rallied around: donating food, money, clothes and shelter. After the Manchester Arena tragedy the One Love concert was to send the message that love and goodness will never be overcome by evil. As Justin Bieber said at the concert ''God is good in the midst of evil. God is good in the midst of the darkness. He loves you.'' Satan does what Satan does but he will never win.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Dave G.

May 22, 2017
Sandiwich
✟323,779.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Upvote 0

Bluerose31

Christian Flower
Site Supporter
Mar 27, 2017
US
✟419,338.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

I agree with what you have written. So many horrible things happen in this world and God seems to be distant. I myself have experienced kidnapping and rape and I wondered why God did not save me. I understand he does love me a lot even though I have experienced horror. God loves all people, including suffering people. I do not feel God is all powerful, and that is why horror happens. I feel he wants to protect us all, but can't. He still loves us and tries to heal whatever has been done to us.

Upvote 0

Sarah G

Pro-peace, anti-war, anti-violence.
Site Supporter
Jun 29, 2017
Netherlands
✟131,322.00
Country
Netherlands
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Jeremiah 17:9
Verse (Click for Chapter)
New International Version
The heart is deceitful above all things and beyond cure. Who can understand it?

Yes, if we look at scripture humans are not basically good. We are made in God's image though and God is love. People are sinful by nature, including Christians, but still most people don't yearn for evil to rule their lives.

1 John 4:8New Life Version (NLV)

8 Those who do not love do not know God because God is love.

Upvote 0

Phantasman

May 12, 2012
Tennessee
✟34,626.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married

It comes together when you understand that there is God and also god at work (since the beginning).

The one who thinks he is God is ignorant (of love, which is the perfect Father of Christ). Call him anything you like, as he is referred to by many made made names. He created imperfect flesh and the world, so he rules it.

2nd Corinthians:
In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not, lest the light of the glorious gospel of Christ, who is the image of God, should shine unto them.

Galatians:
Who gave himself for our sins, that he might deliver us from this present evil world, according to the will of God and our Father:

We don't want to confuse god with God. Jesus teaches that death is where life is. It is the beginning. And who doesn't want (the true) life Jesus gave us?

Everyone has their rewards. Those who are ignorant of (the God of) love will their reward as well as those who follow Jesus commandments of love.

It is through our (knowledge of true) love that we can condemn, but we are never to judge. A life is but seconds compared to eternity. It's called "living in the world". But blaming the actions of the world on God should never enter into a mind that understands that many, past and present, follow god instead.

Upvote 0

CrystalDragon

Apr 28, 2016
US
✟56,251.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single

I feel the same way. And reading Scripture only makes it worse.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Not_By_Chance

Site Supporter
May 25, 2015
✟62,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
I agree with what you have written. So many horrible things happen in this world and God seems to be distant. I myself have experienced kidnapping and rape and I wondered why God did not save me. I understand he does love me a lot even though I have experienced horror. God loves all people, including suffering people. I do not feel God is all powerful, and that is why horror happens. I feel he wants to protect us all, but can't. He still loves us and tries to heal whatever has been done to us.
How terrible for you - I can't even begin to imagine the anguish you must have experienced. Suffering is a mystery. Is it because God has allowed Satan to run amoke in this fallen world or is there a better explanation? Also, just consider when God was walking the earth as a man - people who were suffering only had to ask and Jesus cured them, but wait, what about all the people who didn't get to meet Jesus, they presumably continued to suffer? What can we infer from that? It's like the whole of life is a mystery and the more questions we ask, the more perplexing it becomes.

Upvote 0

PropheticTimes

Lord Have Mercy
Site Supporter
Dec 17, 2015
Ohio
✟204,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
*stands on soap box*

Why are we so quick to blame God when things go wrong, but not glorify Him when they go right?
Things go well and we break our arms patting ourselves on the back, "Great job, Susan! You're awesome!" But as soon as someone gets hurt, the finger is pointed at God.

Listen, I understand the frustration of seeing bad things happen to good people, but that hurting is being done by humans, not God. And do not think I sit in some comfortable, untouchable place saying these things. I have been through the depths of hell and back again, I know pain, I know suffering, I know what the edge of death looks like, and through it all I can see God's hand keeping me from things being even worse. Does anyone ever consider that? What would it look like if He WASN'T helping? It would be pure evil running rampant, no peace at all anywhere for anyone.

It seems people want God to stop everything bad and leave everything good alone. What would that look like? Heaven. We will have to fight through this world if we wish to be there one day.

Thank God it is not worse than it is. Thank God for all He does save, for all the evil He prevents without one human noticing or praising Him. I for one will not sit in judgment of MY JUDGE. Praise Him in the storms because what our tiny human mind can comprehend via our senses is NOT all that is happening.

He is alive and well and working in this world of evil people who choose evil actions against innocent people and He is working through HIS people. Is He working through you? No? Why not? If each one of us stood up and ACTED against the evil instead of pointing at it and blaming God for it, this world wouldn't be such an awful place.

*gets off soap box*

Upvote 0

Bluerose31

Christian Flower
Site Supporter
Mar 27, 2017
US
✟419,338.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
How terrible for you - I can't even begin to imagine the anguish you must have experienced. Suffering is a mystery. Is it because God has allowed Satan to run amoke in this fallen world or is there a better explanation? Also, just consider when God was walking the earth as a man - people who were suffering only had to ask and Jesus cured them, but wait, what about all the people who didn't get to meet Jesus, they presumably continued to suffer? What can we infer from that? It's like the whole of life is a mystery and the more questions we ask, the more perplexing it becomes.
Thank you for your compassionate words :) I understand, this life is very confusing. It is hard to know why things are the way they are. We have Jesus to pray to for comfort, even if he cant save us from our circumstances. Its best to take the days one day at a time.

Reactions: Sarah G
Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It’s hard enough trying to comprehend all this when one does believe in God, but how would you explain this to someone who doesn’t believe in God in the first place?

This world is not paradise. Man was removed from paradise and the gate was shut.

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

He is not only all around us but He heard every prayer
anyone has prayed and He answered each one.
The purpose of prayer is not to change the world into
the experience you imagine. The purpose of prayer is
to get us up-to-speed on how God answered them.
When you pray correctly God will give you the correct
prayer for the occasion, which He already answered.

Answered Prayer

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Noxot

anarchist personalist
Site Supporter
Aug 6, 2007
dallas, texas
Visit site
✟231,339.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
this universe offers something to us that only experiencing and going through it could give. suffering is real but there is a cap on how much can occur since we are mortals. if we live in the divine laws we would have a lot less suffering. we exist here in a mystery and we reveal part of ourselves by existing in it.

at times the world is an outrageous and empty place but the light of God that leaks in makes it all worth it (sometimes).

believing God is more about what and who you are more than it is about joining this or that societal religious structure in the world (which could be seen as a kind of ape-habit of the flesh). to the pure all things are pure and why someone does what they do is an important factor when it comes to life in the spirit.

God is in people as much as they allow him to be.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Phantasman

May 12, 2012
Tennessee
✟34,626.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
This world is not paradise. Man was removed from paradise and the gate was shut.

I find nothing in scripture that supports that belief. Man has been physical from his creation. The paradise Luke and Paul refers to is spiritual.

Eden was a prison, IMO. Man had to eat to stay alive in Eden. Spiritual paradise wouldn't make such demands.

Upvote 0

Disciple of Jesus
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
✟146,199.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
... It’s hard enough trying to comprehend all this when one does believe in God, but how would you explain this to someone who doesn’t believe in God in the first place?

I think the answer to the problem of evil is:
People wanted to know good and evil like God knows and therefore they were expelled from life to this death. Here we can truly learn to know what evil means (lack of God). But it Is not a problem, because nothing of this world can destroy people’s soul.

This is hard lesson, but if we believe or assume Bible God is real, we should also believe when Bible tells that this life is not all. By what the Bible tells, we should not worry about earthly things.

Therefore, I tell you, don't be anxious for your life: what you will eat, or what you will drink; nor yet for your body, what you will wear. Isn't life more than food, and the body more than clothing? See the birds of the sky, that they don't sow, neither do they reap, nor gather into barns. Your heavenly Father feeds them. Aren't you of much more value than they? "Which of you, by being anxious, can add one cubit to the measure of his life? Why are you anxious about clothing? Consider the lilies of the field, how they grow. They don't toil, neither do they spin, yet I tell you that even Solomon in all his glory was not dressed like one of these. But if God so clothes the grass of the field, which today exists, and tomorrow is thrown into the oven, won't he much more clothe you, you of little faith? "Therefore don't be anxious, saying, 'What will we eat?', 'What will we drink?' or, 'With what will we be clothed?' For the Gentiles seek after all these things, for your heavenly Father knows that you need all these things. But seek first God's Kingdom, and his righteousness; and all these things will be given to you as well. Therefore don't be anxious for tomorrow, for tomorrow will be anxious for itself. Each day's own evil is sufficient.
Matt. 6:25-34

And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.
Matt. 10:28

For whoever desires to save his life will lose it, and whoever will lose his life for my sake will find it. For what will it profit a man, if he gains the whole world, and forfeits his life? Or what will a man give in exchange for his life?
Matt. 16:25-26

If person who believes in Bible has focus in material, he has focus in wrong thing. In Biblical point of view soul or spirit is what matters, body is only like a vessel for soul, which is the important thing. Of course, thins can be painful, but still, this is only temporary lesson. The real problem is, if person doesn’t become righteous in this “life” and his soul is not saved. Even if person would have everything good that material world can give, it is nothing, if the soul is dead. Before healing of body, there should happened first healing of soul, otherwise the healing of body is not very useful normally.

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I find nothing in scripture that supports that belief. Man has been physical from his creation. The paradise Luke and Paul refers to is spiritual.

Eden was a prison, IMO. Man had to eat to stay alive in Eden. Spiritual paradise wouldn't make such demands.

Eating is not as hard and nasty as you make it out to be.
God was walking with Adam in the garden. There was tree of knowledge and a tree of life.
Adam was originally immortal.
The serpents in the Garden are chatty. People are not born there, but God creates them directly.
These and other factors rule out The Garden being a normal place on Earth. Unless you've found it
guarded with flaming swords.
Then, I'm wrong.

The Expulsion from Paradise
…23 therefore the LORD God sent him out from the garden of Eden, to cultivate the ground from which he was taken.

Genesis 3:24 After he drove the man out, he placed on the east side of the Garden of Eden cherubim and a flaming sword flashing back and forth to guard the way to the tree of life.

Upvote 0