Where is everybody if Universe really so big?

dad

Undefeated!
Site Supporter
Jan 17, 2005
✟25,524.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Going back to the periodic table is my way of saying it crumbled to dust.

In other words, the three hours of darkness could have been written down by every nation on earth, but over time their writings crumbled to dust.
Or possibly the darkness was just in an area around Jerusalem?

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,907,030.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Then this still applies, no?

It is a metaphor, but a decent one. Whatever wasn't a spoil of war (books, knowledge, humans, etc.) was usually eradicated in order to prevent the conquered nation(s) from 1) knowing their history, 2) rebuilding an intellectual and social society post-fall, and 3) just so that no one else would get their hands on priceless pieces of history.

Things like books on religious figures, philosophy, science, mathematics, medicine, and even culture were kept in vaults of the State - away from the likes of the people (commoners/serfs.) Much of what people demand today to justify yesterday has already "decayed" - in one form or another. That is why I believe people are kidding themselves when they believe they do not have faith. You must have faith to believe you are presented with the full truth and history of your world's past - and that what you have been exposed to is right, true and profitable (i.e. not a red herring.)
Excellent post! :oldthumbsup:

Upvote 0

lesliedellow

Sep 20, 2010
United Kingdom
Visit site
✟104,175.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
Hey, until you find one, stop pretending that what you do find applies to deep space, where you do not have any proven time! As you point out equations of motion require time!

The point happens to be that time is part of your equations. No can do, unless you prove it exists there first.

QUOTE: "The motion we observe and are talking about is in the heavens"

According to you there is motion in the heavens. So either you accept Newton's equation of motion, or you come up with your alternative, or you let us all have some peace, and cut out the vacuous bombast.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,907,030.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Or possibly the darkness was just in an area around Jerusalem?
That could be too!

I didn't think of that.

Much like the darkness that was one of the Ten Plagues.

Yet it was light in Goshen.

Exodus 10:22 And Moses stretched forth his hand toward heaven; and there was a thick darkness in all the land of Egypt three days:
Exodus 10:23 They saw not one another, neither rose any from his place for three days: but all the children of Israel had light in their dwellings.

Upvote 0

Obliquinaut

Сделайте Америку прекрасной
Jun 30, 2017
Washington
✟35,334.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Is that Boyle's Law?

It's more generally related to the kinetic theory of gases.

Boyles and Charles and Gay-Lussac's and Avogadro's laws (collectively the "Gas Laws") all describe specific relationships between Pressure, Volume, Temperature and number of moles of gas molecules.

• Informative
Reactions: AV1611VET
Upvote 0

Obliquinaut

Сделайте Америку прекрасной
Jun 30, 2017
Washington
✟35,334.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Going back to the periodic table is my way of saying it crumbled to dust.

In other words, the three hours of darkness could have been written down by every nation on earth, but over time their writings crumbled to dust.

OK. Still not entirely certain how this pertains to the periodic table unless they happened to record the event in materials that were all radioactive with a half-life short enough to make them all disappear before today, but that seems a stretch considering that many things were recorded at the time that weren't written down solely in short half-life radioactive chemicals.

Upvote 0

dad

Undefeated!
Site Supporter
Jan 17, 2005
✟25,524.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
That could be too!

I didn't think of that.

Exodus 10:22 And Moses stretched forth his hand toward heaven; and there was a thick darkness in all the land of Egypt three days:
Exodus 10:23 They saw not one another, neither rose any from his place for three days: but all the children of Israel had light in their dwellings.
Bingo. Also, possibly the stopped sun of Joshua.

• Agree
Reactions: AV1611VET
Upvote 0

lesliedellow

Sep 20, 2010
United Kingdom
Visit site
✟104,175.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
That could be too!

I didn't think of that.

You didn't think of that method of explaining away inconvenient facts? Oh shame on you!!

Upvote 0

dad

Undefeated!
Site Supporter
Jan 17, 2005
✟25,524.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
QUOTE: "The motion we observe and are talking about is in the heavens"

According to you there is motion in the heavens. So either you accept Newton's equation of motion, or you come up with your alternative, or you let us all have some peace, and cut out the vacuous bombast.
N. There is motion in the universe, but it is not in the water of our fishbowl! We have time here. Here it TAKES so much time for motion to happen. If something moves from earth to the moon, that takes so much time. Unless we have time existing it would NOT take time, or at least that much time. So...we need to know distances, what space is like, time itself, mass, and all sorts of things first, before we start inserting little letters that represent all that. Until then, all your little numbers are unknown. We could even put the equation backwards. ?=Q

serveimage

Upvote 0

Ygrene Imref

Feb 21, 2017
New York, NY
✟70,839.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Celibate
That could be too!

I didn't think of that.

In the Apocrypha, this event is suggestive of a cataclysmic event. Moreover, it was a direct Godly assault on the top 10 Egyptian gods and their [lack of comparative] powers - including Isis, Horus, Ra and Pharaoh.

Allegedly, the mobile Hebrews had a "covering" from a Godly source to guide and protect them while everyone else suffered the consequences of the successive cataclysms.

Today, that event could be described by a celestial body large enough to block out solar light in totality. What is interesting is that there is was a "hue" and glow of reddish light, as well as reddish dust allegedly flying everywhere (causing some of the plagues.) This can be explained today in terms of celestial mechanics - specifically of a dwarf binary star with an exposed iron (ionized) core coming upon (not impacting) the planet - causing a slew of electromagnetic, mechanical, biological, chemical and thermodynamic events.

What was the covering? Don't know. But, I have learned through experience that the "little" things that God tells us to do have an overall, net effect of naturally working so in tune that it seems like a miracle. For example, the Apocrypha suggests the parting of the red sea was a seismic event. But, if Moses didn't have the faith to do exactly what God said at exactly the right time, in the exact way God told him - it is likely Moses would not have been vindicated as a prophet of God. He made the mistake of hitting a rock instead of talking to a rock for the Hebrews, and while the "miracle" still happened, Moses was barred from the promised land for it - because he didn't do the exact thing God said to do. (I am sure He understands how the frequencies of the voice, combined with a rock porous enough to carry water could induce resonance in a localized area - causing the rock to break and the water to gush out. Similarly, the Hebrews' faith was rewarded at Jericho for following God - who undoubtedly understood wave mechanics, material science and electromagnetic wave involved there.)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,907,030.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Still not entirely certain how this pertains to the periodic table ...
I'm just being cutesy about it.

But basically I'm saying they crumbled down into their respective elements.

I like to think that Paul warned us not to look to scientists & evolutionists to teach us Christian truths, since they cater to the elements (rudiments) as more authoritative over Jesus Christ.

Colossians 2:8 Beware lest any man spoil you through philosophy and vain deceit, after the tradition of men, after the rudiments of the world, and not after Christ.

God calls some people into the pulpit.

God calls some people into the lab.

Trusting a scientist in the pulpit is like trusting a preacher in the laboratory.

And while they can work that way, it would be rare.

In my opinion.

Upvote 0

lesliedellow

Sep 20, 2010
United Kingdom
Visit site
✟104,175.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
N. There is motion in the universe, but it is not in the water of our fishbowl! We have time here. Here it TAKES so much time for motion to happen. If something moves from earth to the moon, that takes so much time. Unless we have time existing it would NOT take time, or at least that much time. So...we need to know distances, what space is like, time itself, mass, and all sorts of things first, before we start inserting little letters that represent all that. Until then, all your little numbers are unknown. We could even put the equation backwards. ?=Q

More bombast? What else were we to expect?

"Simple. Pick any distance and show the formula. I may be able to translate."

Promises, promises. All you ever give me are promises. I am really quite put out now. I think I will go and have a sulk.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,907,030.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Allegedly, the mobile Hebrews had a "covering" from a Godly source to guide and protect them while everyone else suffered the consequences of the successive cataclysms.
Indeed.

And when they wandered in the desert, they had a pillar of cloud by day (relief from the sun) and a pillar of fire by night (warmth).

You have OTHER RELIGION as your faith.

May I ask what it is? or is it private?

Upvote 0

Astrophile

Aug 30, 2013
England
✟233,273.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Widowed
This is close to being a dadism.

Why did no one else notice this strange darkness? In those days this sort of event would have been recorded. Yet we only see it mentioned in a book that was written a generation or more after the event.

It is interesting that there was an eclipse of the Sun on 24 November 29 AD; this was 'in the fifteenth year of the Emperor Tiberius', as Luke 3:1 puts it. The eclipse was total in Romania, Bulgaria, central Turkey, western Iraq and the Gulf. It was a large partial eclipse over Israel, Greece and the Nile Delta, where it should have produced perceptible darkening.

Eusebius says that Phlegon (a 2nd-century writer) mentions the total eclipse, and says that in the same year there was an earthquake in Bithynia (northern Turkey) that caused great destruction in the city of Nicaea. Phlegon gives the date of the eclipse as 32 AD, which is certainly wrong since there was no total eclipse of the Sun in that year, but he may have been describing the eclipse of 29 AD.

There is no proof that this eclipse was responsible for the darkening at the crucifixion; nobody knows when Jesus was crucified, and the eclipse occurred in the wrong month, since Passover is in March or April. Perhaps the evangelists read about the eclipse, in some now-lost book, and thought that since it occurred at about the right time they could introduce it into the story of the crucifixion as an appropriate sign from heaven.
images.png

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Subduction Zone

Dec 17, 2012
✟230,461.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
It is interesting that there was an eclipse of the Sun on 24 November 29 AD; this was 'in the fifteenth year of the Emperor Tiberius', as Luke 3:1 puts it. The eclipse was total in Romania, Bulgaria, central Turkey, western Iraq and the Gulf. It was a large partial eclipse over Israel, Greece and the Nile Delta, where it should have produced perceptible darkening.

Eusebius says that Phlegon (a 2nd-century writer) mentions the total eclipse, and says that in the same year there was an earthquake in Bithynia (northern Turkey) that caused great destruction in the city of Nicaea. Phlegon gives the date of the eclipse as 32 AD, which is certainly wrong since there was no total eclipse of the Sun in that year, but he may have been describing the eclipse of 29 AD.

There is no proof that this eclipse was responsible for the darkening at the crucifixion; nobody knows when Jesus was crucified, and the eclipse occurred in the wrong month, since Passover is in March or April. Perhaps the evangelists read about the eclipse, in some now-lost book, and thought that since it occurred at about the right time they could introduce it into the story of the crucifixion as an appropriate sign from heaven.
View attachment 205406

Who knows? Of course even in the path of totality a total eclipse is a short lived phenomenon. I was tempted to drive down to Oregon to get into the path of totality, but it appears that the traffic will be outrageous. Leaving Sunday night would get me there in time normally, there is no place to stay overnight in the region. Hotels have been booked for months. If I got to my target totality would last for just over 2 minutes. I will have to put up with a mere 92% where I live.

At any rate as AV wrote the "darkness" supposedly lasted three hours. I don't think that people would change the time that much.

And I have never seen a date of the crucifixion that early. So wrong season, especially for literalists, too early, too short. I think the event may have been muddled in the minds of people mixing lore so many years after the fact. After all the earliest gospel was not written until some thirty years after the fact.

Reactions: Astrophile
Upvote 0

dad

Undefeated!
Site Supporter
Jan 17, 2005
✟25,524.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
More bombast? What else were we to expect?

"Simple. Pick any distance and show the formula. I may be able to translate."

Promises, promises. All you ever give me are promises. I am really quite put out now. I think I will go and have a sulk.
Wrong. I will pick distance since you can't. The distance to any star=?

Upvote 0

lesliedellow

Sep 20, 2010
United Kingdom
Visit site
✟104,175.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
There is no proof that this eclipse was responsible for the darkening at the crucifixion; nobody knows when Jesus was crucified, and the eclipse occurred in the wrong month, since Passover is in March or April.

Based upon incidental details in the NT, there appears to be pretty general agreement that it was either AD30 or AD33, with AD33 being the favourite.

Upvote 0

lesliedellow

Sep 20, 2010
United Kingdom
Visit site
✟104,175.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
Wrong. I will pick distance since you can't. The distance to any star=?

Distance to Alpha Proxima: 4.6 light years. Not that that is of any relevance. Still waiting for your formula. I suspect that I would still be waiting if I lived to celebrate my 250th birthday, because hot air is all that you have got.

Upvote 0