Where in the Bible does it say these are sins?? Confused...

St_Worm2

Simul Justus et Peccator
Supporter
Jan 28, 2002
✟2,916,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Hello @WrappedUpinHisLove3, adoption is not a sin Biblically, period. The only bit of conjecture I have about this is that 1. she misunderstood her church somehow or 2. they believe it necessary for their congregants to strictly adhere to Genesis 1:28 before choosing to adopt.

As for sterilization being sinful, they could be looking at verses like Deuteronomy 23:1, I suppose (though you would have to bend the meaning of that verse a bit to make it fit their presupposition I would think).

--David

Reactions: Heavenhome
Upvote 0

Junia

May 17, 2020
Bristol
✟31,159.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
It has to be a matter of what Jesus requires of the individual.

While the command is there to go forth and multiply - there are cases in which sterilisation can save your life.

Jesus wouldn't require into do something bad for our health so I guess for my own case there is my answer. Jesus doesn't want us to suffer unnecessarily when it can be prevented

He does cause us to lay down our lives sometimes by going to a country that hates Christians so we can share the Gospel but that is a life of death issue

Reactions: Heavenhome
Upvote 0

Junia

May 17, 2020
Bristol
✟31,159.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Hello @WrappedUpinHisLove3, adoption is not a sin. The only bit of conjecture I have about this is that 1. she misunderstood her church somehow or 2. they believe it necessary for their congregants to strictly adhere to Genesis 1:28 before choosing to adopt.

As for the sterilization being sinful, they could be looking at verses like Deuteronomy 23:1, I suppose.

--David
I

Well I can relax then because that we old covenant stuff. Now anyone who is born of the spirit is accepted by Jesus. All believers....

I know Christians with deformities including missing fingers, limbs or even severe acne

Upvote 0

Sabertooth

Repartee Animal: Quipping the Saints!
Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟952,659.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Ok but isn't sterilisation a form of family planning? Or is only naturAl family planning like rhythm method endorsed in Bible?
Like smoking, the Bible says quite a few things about child-bearing indirectly, but little-to-nothing directly. So, non-abortifacient contraception is not a clear sin.

Not having a baby by a certain age does create other health issues though...

What Are the Risk Factors for Breast Cancer? | CDC

Risk Factors You Can Change
  • Not being physically active. Women who are not physically active have a higher risk of getting breast cancer.
  • Being overweight or obese after menopause. Older women who are overweight or obese have a higher risk of getting breast cancer than those at a normal weight.
  • Taking hormones. Some forms of hormone replacement therapy (those that include both estrogen and progesterone) taken during menopause can raise risk for breast cancer when taken for more than five years. Certain oral contraceptives (birth control pills) also have been found to raise breast cancer risk.
  • Reproductive history. Having the first pregnancy after age 30, not breastfeeding, and never having a full-term pregnancy can raise breast cancer risk.
  • Drinking alcohol. Studies show that a woman’s risk for breast cancer increases with the more alcohol she drinks.

Research suggests that other factors such as smoking, being exposed to chemicals that can cause cancer, and changes in other hormones due to night shift working also may increase breast cancer risk.

• Agree
Reactions: Junia
Upvote 0

St_Worm2

Simul Justus et Peccator
Supporter
Jan 28, 2002
✟2,916,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
I think it was given to humanity...
Hi Carl, my church is LOADED with large families. My senior pastor, who is the father of 9 (his is not our largest family) said that if someone can show him where the Lord brought an end to His pre-Fall commandment to be fruitful and multiply, he will stop having babies :)

--David

Genesis 1
27 God created man in His own image, in the image of God He created him; male and female He created them.
28 God blessed them; and God said to them, “Be fruitful and multiply, and fill the earth, and subdue it; and rule over the fish of the sea and over the birds of the sky and over every living thing that moves on the earth.

Upvote 0

Junia

May 17, 2020
Bristol
✟31,159.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Also, if you would be a "bad" mother to your own children, wouldn't you be a "bad" mother to adopted children, too...?
I
Yes that would make sense! In my case I won't adopt either...aside from my severe disabilities , even if in were able bodied I have never felt called.to motherhood alwAys been more career focused and not nurturing. unless.it is to animals . Am just a bit unfeminine I guess

However in the case of the thread that sparked this one the lady felt a call just to adopt. She feels maybe called to .motherhood and only considered steri!fixation because of her bipolar disorder. But she feels a strong call to adopt.

I think I'm her case ?God may have out that desire in her heart to adopt because bipolar disorder medications and pregnancy don't mix well . so she would suit adoption better?

Upvote 0

Junia

May 17, 2020
Bristol
✟31,159.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Hi Carl, my church is LOADED with large families. My senior pastor, who is the father of 9 (his is not our largest family) said that if someone can show him where the Lord brought an end to His pre wewe

Fall commandment to be fruitful and multiply, he will stop having babies :)

--David

good point. Am sure
God allows exceptions thiugn. I have Lready decided I am one .

Upvote 0

Junia

May 17, 2020
Bristol
✟31,159.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
If I go to hell for it so be it! I have had a hard life in some ways although also very blessed. I just feel it is time for me to just make some space to enjoy relaxing with God and finding out what make me feel happy Nd fulfilled. I feel I have more time me By to my sister to others this way.too. A bit desire of mine is to expand on my desire to help other abused women with mental health insurance freedom....it feels a strong call.for me

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Junia

May 17, 2020
Bristol
✟31,159.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I think it was given to humanity...

God also commanded us to avoid pork and shellfish and only wear clothes of one fabric. He never revoked those ones either
I

But all the Christians I know who aren't vegetariAn or vegan eat bacon or ham. I don't know many who wear only pure linen. Few can afford that these days

Also most Christians I know don't tithe, they just give as they feel led to or can afford to. God never revoked that one either

If this is why God requires of us to live biblically very few of us ChristiAns reAlly are.

I suspect these are Ok secondary issues to the two greatest commandment s. I suspect no one is in hell for using condom or whatever

And if they are salvation issues then well 99% of the church is doomed anyway and at least we will all be roasting happily together in the lake of fire :grin:

Upvote 0

dqhall

Supporter
Jul 21, 2015
Florida
Visit site
✟766,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
God also commanded us to avoid pork and shellfish and only wear clothes of one fabric. He never revoked those ones either
I

But all the Christians I know who aren't vegetariAn or vegan eat bacon or ham. I don't know many who wear only pure linen. Few can afford that these days

Also most Christians I know don't tithe, they just give as they feel led to or can afford to. God never revoked that one either

If this is why God requires of us to live biblically very few of us ChristiAns reAlly are.

I suspect these are Ok secondary issues to the two greatest commandment s. I suspect no one is in hell for using condom or whatever

And if they are salvation issues then well 99% of the church is doomed anyway and at least we will all be roasting happily together in the lake of fire :grin:
I do not find Biblical commands against birth control. It is a Roman Catholic Church teaching. My mother was raised Catholic and told me birth control is wrong because it prevents life. Some people have more children than they can find fruit for. Abstinence is permissible and safer than birth control. It also prevents children from being born. The Pope does abstinence.

• Agree
Reactions: Junia
Upvote 0

DamianWarS

Follower of Isa Al Masih
Supporter
May 15, 2008
✟858,457.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I was reading another thread on CF just now from a woman who is pondering the question of children with her husband but she says she has alwAys had stronger desire to adopt .she says her church told her that adopting children or having tubal ligation/sterilisation is sinning against God

I have heard these opinions before from Christians but am a bit confused because I cAnnot find any scripture referring to either of these matters?

Are there any scriptures on these topics at all, have I just missed them. Am curious because I never felt led by the Lord to be a mother and if I marry when am recovered enough from my issues I was pondering sterilisation. I am not keen on idea of taking a birth control pills that may be abortificent, stopping embryos from implanting.

I cAnnot understAnd why adoption would be considered wrong biblicLy? Wasn't Esther technicAlly brought up by her uncle? Moses was adopted.
Sin is anything that goes against God. We should strive in our actions to give glory to God in all things we do. If they do not give glory to God we should perhaps question why we are doing them. So, how do the things in question give glory to God? Adoption is easy, sterilization perhaps not so easy.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

dqhall

Supporter
Jul 21, 2015
Florida
Visit site
✟766,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
That's not a very good summary of Catholic teaching.
My mother attended Mass several times a week. A priest told her she would go to heaven if she attended Mass. She took Communion to a prison. She visited a nursing home sometimes. She donated to a shelter for unwed women who did not want to abort, but put their children up for adoption instead. She was a local newspaper reported. She is in a nursing home with dementia. She can not feed herself or walk.

Her opinion of Catholic teaching may be imperfect as the teaching itself is imperfect.

Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟378,031.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
There is no Biblical justification for adoption being a sin. It is spoken of positively in the case of Moses, and it is a loving act to orphans. James 1:27 specifically commands the church to look out for the needs of orphans.

Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟378,031.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
If you are interested in an articulate treatment of sexual morality, find the report of the 1920 Lambeth Conference. Not the 1930 one but the 1920 one.
No direct Scripture references in there, unfortunately. It mentioned Matthew once, and I know what Jesus said about divorce in Matthew very well, but no chapter and verse for that, and no mention of any other Scriptures in the sexual resolutions either.

Upvote 0