Peace and Love
Oct 6, 2013
Pa
✟6,506.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
No, I think you have an inconsistency that I am trying to get to the bottom of, if you hold that all people who respond to altar calls by walking to the front are saved and that people are OSAS then that is an inconsistency, as the Bible and the Reformers testify it is by faith alone that we are saved, however that faith is never alone. If one does not produce the fruits of salvation (one of which is patience, another of which is self-control) then can we really say that those who having made confession of faith who then leave the church were truly saved?

Oh I see you have a vendetta against me:thumbsup: well Good luck with that.

How about you don't high jack another thread i am responding in.

I might also point out your arrogance of it all thinking you are the one who is going to straighten me all out. Well thanks but I leave that to God and my professors. I trust you are a church leader as you appoint your self to that position on this forum?

have a nice day

Upvote 0

Alithis

Disciple of Jesus .
Nov 11, 2010
Mobile
✟94,492.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I live in the desert southwest. It gets hotter than hades here for 4-5 months of the year. Dressing for outside is always an adventure. Don't want to go too minimalist because once you get inside you're going to be cold (everything is air conditioned to extremes in the summer) but don't want to die of heat stroke walking from the parking lot to the sanctuary (and let me tell you, asphalt parking lots are beastly when they've been cooking in the sun).

In the summer, the common wardrobe is usually shorts, capris or skirts/dresses (sundresses) and tops with flip flops. In "winter" maybe more capris, pants, skirts with short sleeved tops or summery dresses and flip flops or some other sandal. Shorts are not uncommon for the men either.

We used to live somewhere that wasn't quite as hot. The "dress code" was a little different there. Summer, capris or skirts/dresses. Winter, long dresses (with tights or leggings) or pants and big, heavy jackets.

Much of the "dress code" has a lot to do with the climate and local culture. Its also pretty laid back where I live now...kind of a conservative version of southern California. Nobody worries much about what kind of clothes you have on. When its 115 degrees and you are outside, you're looking to get OUT of the heat and/or into some body of water (pool) ASAP and don't have the desire to worry about what someone else is wearing.

Personally, I tend to be a skirts/dresses dresser, and shorts, yoga pants and bathing suits are reserved for inside my house or back yard (where we have an 8 foot wall around our entire back yard). Other folks...wear other things. I don't have the time or ambition to look around at what they're wearing. I worry about 4 other people's clothes and that's because I gave birth to them.

gets very hot in the middle east too .. see what they wear ? interesting isnt it -they have thousands of years experience of dressing for hot climates .. .. its ok i think i sound harsh ..i don't mean it that way .. just making an observation

Upvote 0

Vince53

Oct 22, 2009
Mexico
Visit site
✟37,294.00
Country
Mexico
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Ren, I can give a partial answer to your original question.

During World War 1, General Pershing heavily increased discipline in the American armed forces. And having your shoes shined so brightly that they showed your reflection was one of those requirements. If your boots weren't shined you were a failure.

Years later, during the Great Depression, many school teachers were WW1 veterans. Facing parents who were ashamed that they had to take their children to soup kitchens, the teachers assured them that if their children were clean, wore clean clothes that were ironed, and polished their shoes until they showed a reflection, they were still good parents. Obviously, this spilled over into church.

That isn't how it began, but it certainly strengthened it.

Upvote 0

Alithis

Disciple of Jesus .
Nov 11, 2010
Mobile
✟94,492.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Ren, I can give a partial answer to your original question.

During World War 1, General Pershing heavily increased discipline in the American armed forces. And having your shoes shined so brightly that they showed your reflection was one of those requirements. If your boots weren't shined you were a failure.

Years later, during the Great Depression, many school teachers were WW1 veterans. Facing parents who were ashamed that they had to take their children to soup kitchens, the teachers assured them that if their children were clean, wore clean clothes that were ironed, and polished their shoes until they showed a reflection, they were still good parents. Obviously, this spilled over into church.

That isn't how it began, but it certainly strengthened it.

side note/- oddly enough it does reflect good parenting . when you consider the time ,effort, dedication, discipline and commitment it takes to keep children well presented at all times .

Upvote 0

FredVB

Mar 11, 2010
America
Visit site
✟265,191.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Dress codes for church is not biblical. I go to church, but I will really not go to a church with dress codes. What is biblical is to be accepting of others who come, and certainly to those who are fellow believers. This should be the case whatever they are wearing. If one will come barefoot, they should be accepted, this I know.

Upvote 0

lismore

Maranatha
Oct 28, 2004
Scotland
✟242,456.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I did not know where to post this..

Hello. My own opinion would be a balanced view, to dress modestly and comfortably, not under any compulsion but through love to your neighbour not to wear anything that might be a stumbling block to them. God Bless. :)

Upvote 0
Dec 8, 2011
✟120,714.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I don't care how people dress while in Church. I do see more people dressing more casual than years past. Growing up, people dressed up more formal in Church every week. Not so much these days.

This would have been my experience growing up too - maybe we’re of the same vintage! Certainly comparing photographs of people dressed in their Sunday wear then and now shows a definite trend towards casual.

I think we should all come to church with the right attitude, regardless of what we’re wearing.

Gillian

Upvote 0

joaa

Nov 12, 2017
midwest
✟8,074.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Divorced
I've been of the opinion that Fancy dress and fancy cars are both vanity. I do not care how you dress as long as your properly covered and preferably clean. And even then its not for me to judge only God has that right but I have the right to not look.
I remember a pastor years ago told me of an old dirty man that was told not to come into the church and the man replied that's okay I don't think God is in there anyway.
Remember Jesus did not judge the woman with five husbands and not married to the man she was living with at the time or how about the woman brought before him accused of adultery. Let he without sin cast the first stone.
Try loving not judging or shaming neither one looks good on you.

Upvote 0

War_Eagle

Nov 11, 2017
Lake Worth
✟9,980.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I did not know where to post this..
Now I stayed home from Church today with a stomach bug, but DH came in (his first time to ever go to Sunday School) any ways he was saying they were talking about how one should dress for Church.
I myself feel you should dress nice, Iv seen girls wearing shorts ,flip flops,no shoes, I just DO NOT Agree with that. I feel we should be proper dress.No t-shirts either.Well DH disagrees,he sees nothing wrong with it.
is there scripture showing one should be proper dress, he states it is NOT in the Bible,I disagree, I say it is...

It's largely cultural.

The Bible says we are to be reverent and one of the ways we show reverence in our culture is by the way we dress. It's why we wear a jacket and tie for important occasions, such as going to court, a wedding, a funeral, a graduation, etc.

How we dress shows how we feel about something.

For instance, we went to the Shula Bowl last night (a much better game than the scoreboard would indicate, but I digress) and it was a casual, fun event and so we dressed in casual clothes.

Same with church. It is an important, serious event and so we take the time to dress to show we take the event and the person we are honoring seriously.

Now, that having been said, we should do it as an act of worship in the heart, not as a legal requirement.

Where we are, for much of the year, a jacket and tie would be impractical, as it typically stays above 90 degrees from April through October. You would think, if anybody had a reason to show up in shorts and flip flops, it would be us. But we still try to dress nice. A pair of slacks, a nice collared shirt, etc.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

umbrabates

Author
Dec 21, 2017
Central Valley, California
✟18,446.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
I myself feel you should dress nice, Iv seen girls wearing shorts ,flip flops,no shoes, I just DO NOT Agree with that. I feel we should be proper dress.No t-shirts either.

The Bible seems to say the opposite:

Christian Forums

My personal interpretation is that by dressing in your "Sunday best" -- suit, tie, fancy shoes -- you are excluding people who can't or don't dress that way. Casual, but modest dress, is more inclusive, IMO. In the end, it's what's in your heart, not on your back, that counts! :)

Upvote 0