May 1, 2010
U.S.A
✟7,758.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I did not know where to post this..
Now I stayed home from Church today with a stomach bug, but DH came in (his first time to ever go to Sunday School) any ways he was saying they were talking about how one should dress for Church.
I myself feel you should dress nice, Iv seen girls wearing shorts ,flip flops,no shoes, I just DO NOT Agree with that. I feel we should be proper dress.No t-shirts either.Well DH disagrees,he sees nothing wrong with it.
is there scripture showing one should be proper dress, he states it is NOT in the Bible,I disagree, I say it is...

saffron park

The Gom Jabbar, the High-Handed Enemy
Aug 17, 2012
[!] Upstate [!] New York
✟13,088.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
You hold a belief and you want to find a verse in the Bible to back it up? Doesn't that seem backwards?

A church is a house of God. How respectfully one dresses when they go to church could (To some extent) be an expression of how much one respects God.

Don't get bent out of shape over other people not dressing respectfully though. God will sort that all out.

Upvote 0

1watchman

Overseer
Site Supporter
Oct 9, 2010
Washington State
✟358,358.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes, and here is an additional thought from a paper I have:

Letters Regarding Appearance
[These letters are shared here to set forth some considerations for all to honor the Lord]

Dear sister in the Lord:
In regard to your questions, I believe the good appearance of the saints is a testimony to all and pleasing to God. It sets them apart from the world with its styles, fads, and vanity; and it should show us in simplicity, humility, and Godliness. This applies also to painting the face, the nails, piercing the skin, etc; and includes all manner of clothes that reveal the body. God hates vanity and carnality, and loves a Godly heart (Job 40:10; Matt.22:11-12; Eph.4:17-24; 1 Th.2:12; 1 Tim. 2:9-10). Appearances often reflect what is in the heart, and our attire might show indifference to our holy calling and attract attention to ourselves. Careless dress of men or women is dishonoring to the Lord, I believe ---mainly it is conformity to the world.

We have dress clothes, casual, and labor clothes. A saint who would attend a wedding, funeral, or come before a dignitary in proper attire, surely should not come to the table of the Lord in less suitable apparel. Old, worn, and faded clothes, tight clothes, or clothes with worldly pictures and advertisements, should only be expected on those who can afford nothing else. Is a wedding more worthy of our good appearance than the assembly meetings with the Lord "in the midst"? A priest ought to be mindful of his garments.

Regarding your question about dresses, I will say: women should not wear that which pertains to a man (Deut.22:5). God says that for a woman to wear clothing like unto the man is an "abomination"; that is, most offensive to God who created them separate. While that was spoken to saints of old, it is a universal principle, because God made men and women separate with separate stations and roles in life. The woman's appearance should be as a woman and they should be pleased with their calling.

Dresses on women show humility and reverence to God in the church (assembly), but some feel they can wear pants at home in their daily routines. The home life is mostly a matter of conscience, but the gathering of saints is on the ground of holiness as a collective testimony, which concerns all. We do not legalize it, but we need to seek to do that which pleases and honors God, and not challenge Him.

There is a growing rebellion over appearances in the western world today, as men and women assert themselves. Men are being careless and even defiant, and women have begun to imitate men and challenge them. Women certainly should be equally treated and blessed, but they have a distinct role, which they should value. Rebellion to God's calling will bring down ruin in our lives, and surely loss of reward in a day to come for true saints of God. I will send along a paper I have on The Woman's Calling to show their special privileges.
Sincerely in Christ, (RLD)
**************************************************************************************************************

Upvote 0

Bluelion

Peace and Love
Oct 6, 2013
Pa
✟6,506.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Funny Jesus called people just as they were he does not care what people wear he cares about your heart. It's funny the best dress people can be the worse kind of people. Angels sometimes appear as the homeless. You seem to judge people by the cover and not what is in the book.

It is a superficial way to be. you could argue it is showing respect for God, but it is not it is dressing up for others, because frankly there are no clothes in the world with which we can bring honor to God. Jesus washes are robes in His blood it is those spiritual robes which God see us in regardless of what we where here. That being said women and men should dress modestly, or even humble. Parts of a persons body should not be hanging out or one display, but that is not just true in the church but with a person who is in the world to.

Tell me do you dress up to go to the store, because unless you where your best clothes all the time you are a hypocrite. Why would you dress one way in church and another in the world, do you not practice what you learn in church?

I have a suit, but they must be dry cleaned, and we just don't have the money to do that all the time. We have not gone to church because people dress up, and we did not have good enough clothes(according to you). You think God would rather have me in church dress in a tee shirt or not at all?

It would appear you have a lack of understanding of people. If a man comes in covered in mud, he is welcome in church, because most like that man had been working and did not have time to change. Nothing wrong with a hard working man or woman, certainly not their clothes showing their work.

Its hypocritical.

• Agree
Reactions: umbrabates
Upvote 0

RenJac

May 1, 2010
U.S.A
✟7,758.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
excuse me, but when you have a teen girl that wears shorts short enough that half her bottom hangs out,and a blouse that you can see her cleavage, and if you think that is appropriate, the you have issues, I myself find it offensive that a girl would dress like that in the LORD House.
I am always in a dress,I dress nicely because I Love my Husband,and the lord with all of my heart,and I feel a woman should dress like a woman not something that is in appropriate.
You should not be judging me for what I believe,That is for the Lord to do, and you are Not the Lord.To each there own opinion, if you read what I typed earlier I said
"I myself feel you should dress nice," I MYSELF.

Upvote 0

Alithis

Disciple of Jesus .
Nov 11, 2010
Mobile
✟101,992.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
excuse me, but when you have a teen girl that wears shorts short enough that half her bottom hangs out,and a blouse that you can see her cleavage, and if you think that is appropriate, the you have issues, I myself find it offensive that a girl would dress like that in the LORD House.
I am always in a dress,I dress nicely because I Love my Husband,and the lord with all of my heart,and I feel a woman should dress like a woman not something that is in appropriate.
You should not be judging me for what I believe,That is for the Lord to do, and you are Not the Lord.To each there own opinion, if you read what I typed earlier I said

in our modern society ,good dress code has greatly changed as fashions do.
ie suit and tie is now mostly considered correct formal wear by those in high-standing of influence and money .(or worldliness)

respectable wear has reduced to clothes with not to much wear and tear and really has not too much other rule governing it . save for perhaps some restrictions on foot wear ..like flip-flops in a high class restaurant may be frowned upon and probably night clubs where what is acceptable is actually based on how self glorifying it is .(thought they dont say it that way )

However you are refering to a goup of people gathering to worship God .. to GLORIFY HIM.. not ourselves . and in that setting i think you are correct .
firstly it should be about love for the lord Jesus .. then about playing our part to glorify him NOT OUR FLESH .. so .. it has nothing to do with the quality of our clothes and everything to do with modesty so that we do not elevate our own flesh to draw attention to our own flesh .
rags are fine .. as long as they are worn to downplay the flesh .
any honest guy wil tell you that skin ..even hidden beneath clothing if the clothing is designed to accentuate the flesh ..is the most annoying added distraction to have to tune out during worship .. so it is also a massive act of disrespect to fellow worshiper to dress in even the slightest manner that could be provocative to the flesh .. it is not an act of love in Jesus but an act of love of self .

having said all that .. my advice is simply .. get dressed stand by your mirror and say" hey lord what do you think is this ok ? then OBEY the Holy Spirit .. and you'll do just fine .. God bless you .
-
oh ps - if someone arrives dressed with butt and cleavage hanging out all over and says they asked the lord and he said its fine ,well ... by their fruits ye shall know them .... nuff said .

---------------------
ANd -what does the bible say about it ...

1 Timothy 2:9 - In like manner also, that women adorn themselves in modest apparel, with shamefacedness and sobriety; not with broided hair, or gold, or pearls, or costly array;

1 Corinthians 6:19-20 - What? know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost [which is] in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own? (Read More...)

1 Timothy 2:9-10 - In like manner also, that women adorn themselves in modest apparel, with shamefacedness and sobriety; not with broided hair, or gold, or pearls, or costly array; (Read More...)

Proverbs 31:30 - Favour [is] deceitful, and beauty [is] vain: [but] a woman [that] feareth the LORD, she shall be praised.

1 Peter 3:3-4 - Whose adorning let it not be that outward [adorning] of plaiting the hair, and of wearing of gold, or of putting on of apparel; (Read More...)

Proverbs 11:22 - [As] a jewel of gold in a swine's snout, [so is] a fair woman which is without discretion.

1 Peter 3:1-4 - Likewise, ye wives, [be] in subjection to your own husbands; that, if any obey not the word, they also may without the word be won by the conversation of the wives; (Read More...)

1 Timothy 2:8-10 - I will therefore that men pray every where, lifting up holy hands, without wrath and doubting. (Read More...)

1 Samuel 16:7 - But the LORD said unto Samuel, Look not on his countenance, or on the height of his stature; because I have refused him: for [the LORD seeth] not as man seeth; for man looketh on the outward appearance, but the LORD looketh on the heart.

Matthew 5:28 - But I say unto you, That whosoever looketh on a woman to lust after her hath committed adultery with her already in his heart.

1 John 2:16 - For all that [is] in the world, the lust of the flesh, and the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life, is not of the Father, but is of the world.

1 Peter 5:5-6 - Likewise, ye younger, submit yourselves unto the elder. Yea, all [of you] be subject one to another, and be clothed with humility: for God resisteth the proud, and giveth grace to the humble. (Read More...)

Matthew 5:27-28 - Ye have heard that it was said by them of old time, Thou shalt not commit adultery: (Read More...)

Deuteronomy 22:5 - The woman shall not wear that which pertaineth unto a man, neither shall a man put on a woman's garment: for all that do so [are] abomination unto the LORD thy God.

1 Corinthians 10:31 - Whether therefore ye eat, or drink, or whatsoever ye do, do all to the glory of God.

1 Peter 3:3 - Whose adorning let it not be that outward [adorning] of plaiting the hair, and of wearing of gold, or of putting on of apparel;

John 7:24 - Judge not according to the appearance, but judge righteous judgment.

Matthew 6:1 - Take heed that ye do not your alms before men, to be seen of them: otherwise ye have no reward of your Father which is in heaven.

1 Corinthians 6:19 - What? know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost [which is] in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own?

Proverbs 7:10 - And, behold, there met him a woman [with] the attire of an harlot, and subtil of heart.

Matthew 18:6-7 - But whoso shall offend one of these little ones which believe in me, it were better for him that a millstone were hanged about his neck, and [that] he were drowned in the depth of the sea. (Read More...)

James 1:15 - Then when lust hath conceived, it bringeth forth sin: and sin, when it is finished, bringeth forth death.

Leviticus 19:28 - Ye shall not make any cuttings in your flesh for the dead, nor print any marks upon you: I [am] the LORD.

1 Corinthians 12:23 - And those [members] of the body, which we think to be less honourable, upon these we bestow more abundant honour; and our uncomely [parts] have more abundant comeliness.

1 Corinthians 7:3-5 - Let the husband render unto the wife due benevolence: and likewise also the wife unto the husband. (Read More...)

Galatians 3:23-25 - But before faith came, we were kept under the law, shut up unto the faith which should afterwards be revealed. (Read More...)

Ephesians 2:15 - Having abolished in his flesh the enmity, [even] the law of commandments [contained] in ordinances; for to make in himself of twain one new man, [so] making peace;

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

contango

...and you shall live...
Jul 9, 2010
Sometimes here, sometimes there
✟16,996.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Now I stayed home from Church today with a stomach bug, but DH came in (his first time to ever go to Sunday School) any ways he was saying they were talking about how one should dress for Church.
I myself feel you should dress nice, Iv seen girls wearing shorts ,flip flops,no shoes, I just DO NOT Agree with that. I feel we should be proper dress.No t-shirts either.Well DH disagrees,he sees nothing wrong with it.
is there scripture showing one should be proper dress, he states it is NOT in the Bible,I disagree, I say it is...

I don't see the Jesus who spent time with prostitutes and tax collectors turning around and rejecting us because we own nicer clothes than we wear to church.

A lot of people argue that if we were to visit our head of state we would wear the very best clothes we own, and therefore how much more so should we wear our very best when coming into the presence of the King of Kings. The big difference is that the head of state doesn't see our hearts and doesn't see us when we aren't dressed to kill. When I'm in the shower, God sees me. When I'm in the bathroom dealing with the aftereffects of eating something that violently disagreed with me, God sees that too. If I'm sitting in a room in private praising God sees it; if I'm in a room in private doing something that dishonours God he sees that too.

If you want to say something is in the Bible it wouldn't hurt to show the reference. Insisting "it's in there somewhere" helps nobody, least of all you. Just make sure you test your viewpoint against Scripture rather than cherry-picking verses to support your own ideas.

One crucial question to consider is what happens if someone comes in off the street seeking an answer to the question we've all asked at some point, namely "is there more to life than this?". So they figure if God exists he might be found in a church, come into church on a Sunday morning wearing whatever they might normally wear. If someone is seeking they could be a homeless person who hasn't changed their clothes for a week, they could be a "lady of the night" still in her working clothes, they could be a farmhand who doesn't own any clothes people might consider "presentable" and so on. Will they be welcomed the way Jesus would welcome them, or will they leave feeling that God's house is a place of judgment where people just look for a reason to reject them?

As far as a dress code for church goes, as a man I find it distracting when women turn up for church wearing low tops or have things like the whale-tail of a thong visible. Beyond that I say "come just as you are". Even having said that, if a "lady of the night" were to be truly seeking Christ I'd hope she would be welcomed even if she were wearing revealing clothes - I'd just prefer regular attendees wore something more modest.

Personally in the winter time I'll usually wear jeans and a T-shirt (with an overlayer as required) and in the summer I'll wear shorts and a T-shirt.

Upvote 0

98cwitr

Lord forgive me
Apr 20, 2006
Raleigh, NC
✟449,894.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I dont believe it matters...I still wear khakis and a polo (business casual) simply out of reverence for the all-female youth (my fiance is the youth minister). I dont believe that God cares what you're wearing to church as long as it is not provocative.

Upvote 0

Alithis

Disciple of Jesus .
Nov 11, 2010
Mobile
✟101,992.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Ex 3:5, Josh 5:15; Take off your shoes...
i think your splitting hairs..or stitching in this case:D

however consider your sig' - if it offends my sister that i come to church in a bedraggle attire or under dressed..then i should behave in godly love so as to willfully
NOT offend her ... :)

Upvote 0

Bluelion

Peace and Love
Oct 6, 2013
Pa
✟6,506.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Personally i would be offend if I saw a girl wearing that out in the world. I guess you just decide to ignore parts of what I said so you could respond in anger and be offended.

I said Men and women should dress modestly not just in church but in the world. That is how the Bible tells us to dress.

Seems to me the issue is not wearing nice clothes to church, but dressing provocatively in church. I think that is an issue with culture today. We are told how to dress by God. We do not follow the culture.

But wearing a tee shirt to church, if that upsets you give me a break. That is petty.

Upvote 0

Ministrymama

Sep 11, 2013
United States
✟7,768.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
My church has many ministries including a few to street people, prostitutes, addicts, and the mentally ill. Many of these people don't know the "rules" of polite society, and most don't own "acceptable" clothing, some people including myself dress down intentionally so as to make the atmosphere more welcoming. My family wears jeans and T-shirts to church, we wear shorts and flip flops and engage all our friends and welcome them to the Lords house with joyfulness. We're just glad they came to church regardless of what their wearing on their bodies, sometimes it's very little and very interesting.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Skala

I'm a Saint. Not because of me, but because of Him
Mar 15, 2011
✟27,869.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married

The Bible never says anything about what you should wear in church. This is a cultural thing, not a theological thing.

The original Christians were mostly poor, lower class people who were on the run for their lives, since Christianity was illegal. They had "church" at someone's house, in secret, not in a fancy church building with nice carpet and an organ.

If anyone tells you it is sinful to not dress nice at church, they are legalists, plain and simple. They are making something a sin that the Bible never says is a sin.

That being said, since the Bible is silent on the matter, that means each person has freedom in Christ to make the decision about what to wear.

Upvote 0

FredVB

Mar 11, 2010
America
Visit site
✟267,462.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Where you go to church there might be expectations and so if the church is worthwhile in your walk with God you may well dress in what way will not make difficulties going there. If you want verses there in fact will not be verses telling you specifically what to wear or not, but with proper humility we are not to do things to draw more attention to ourselves. If one church is not satisfactory to any believer over dress expectations there are others with very different expectations, one might dress differently for attending any one of them, it does not matter how if it does not inappropriately draw more attention to self, it won't if it conforms to how others mostly dress, and with that would not violate what we are required to do from what we are told from the Bible

Upvote 0

contango

...and you shall live...
Jul 9, 2010
Sometimes here, sometimes there
✟16,996.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Where you go to church there might be expectations and so if the church is worthwhile in your walk with God you may well dress in what way will not make difficulties going there. If you want verses there in fact will not be verses telling you specifically what to wear or not, but with proper humility we are not to do things to draw more attention to ourselves. If one church is not satisfactory to any believer over dress expectations there are others with very different expectations, one might dress differently for attending any one of them, it does not matter how if it does not inappropriately draw more attention to self, it won't if it conforms to how others mostly dress, and with that would not violate what we are required to do from what we are told from the Bible

The trouble with too many people just following rules that aren't laid down in Scripture and serve no useful purpose is that the church then becomes less welcoming to those who might be seeking God.

If someone walks in off the street wondering whether there really is a God they aren't going to be wearing their Sunday best. So in they come, wearing scuffed jeans and a ratty T-shirt, and find themselves surrounded by people wearing three-piece suits and polished shoes, who clearly look down at this person who has arrived inappropriately dressed. Is that person likely to stay long enough to hear a message or feel belittled and leave, maybe never to return?

I wouldn't condone being outrageous just to make a point but I would take issue with a church that expects any particular standard of dress over and above basic decency.

Upvote 0

Bluelion

Peace and Love
Oct 6, 2013
Pa
✟6,506.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I would like to point out the Pharisees were some of the best dressed people in the temple and also the worse sinners. Jesus did not wear robes as fine as the Pharisee, yet who do you think God was more pleased to see in the temple. those dressed in fine clothes who did not Honor God or His own son who brought Him joy?

Clothes are cultural. it is a world view not a God view. John the baptist wore clothes with coarse camel hair, he was not dressed in fine robes, that there never was a greater prophet.

God does care what we wear, He dressed his best prophets in humble clothes. If asked what we should wear to church it is easy, "humble your self before the Lord" dress in humble clothes to reflect a true humble heart.

Upvote 0

GodsGirlToday61

Senior Veteran
Aug 24, 2013
✟24,759.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I grew up--when my mom got my Dad to take us to church at all, or when she wasn't staying home for her own reasons--Baptist (Freewill, American and Southern, depending...), and I don't think anyone can lay down 'a one-size verse' or 'a one-size-way' of defining what respectful and correct, et cetera is because:

1) Some come to church, seeking... and they are a mess--later, as they grow in the Lord, if they started out wearing t-shirts with suggestive sayings or low-cut blouses and such, they may feel convicted to stop (not the tee shirts--the 'suggestive part'.

2) As someone else or more than one person pointed out, some people really don't know any better in the sense they weren't raised to have a sense of reverence or modesty, so I think in cases like that, an older sister in Christ--just talking about women here--should lead humbly 'by example', you know, be welcoming, no thong panties showing, no advertisements on tee shirts and so forth, but not make a big deal out of it, and some younger in Christ or new altogether, again, with time, maturity, prayer, Bible study and so much more... may feel convicted to start dressing so they can be role models of humility and modesty--leading by example.

3) I went to a church a couple months ago in which a non-saved, angry young woman with a serious drug problem--she was really up front about it (I heard that part later) was walking around looking hateful and her t-shirt said something combative like, 'I Feel Like S---, You Gotta Problem With Me?', and I thought, immediately, 'OK, she's hurting...' and went on my way (being new myself to the church, I didn't feel I should do anything but go talk to the pastor who had brought my husband and me there).

Later, I found out that a Christian man, someone who had once been living on the street, got confrontational with her and insensitively told her she needed to clean up her act because otherwise men were gonna use her up... And I had a strong emotional reaction to that, angry at the man--though I only said so to my husband back at home, because I said to my husband, 'An older sister in Christ should be the one to greet and speak to unsaved hurting women like this--she doesn't need to hear that kind of thing, and from a man--you think she hasn't already been used out on the street?! (I ended up crying...)

4) Yes, of course, God looks at our hearts, 'and' (not but), 'and' in many cases, for those of us who are more mature; who do know what 'reverence' means and do own simple, modest, clean clothing, are we being rebellious; is it coming from rebellion (each may ask her or himself) to not pick out the clean, simple, modest clothing to wear to worship? What I mean is just that: If it's hanging in your closest, don't go out of our way (I include myself in this) to take Scripture and make it conform to our sense of rebellion; rather, let's pray about that rebellious spirit--asking the Lord to remove it because it's a stumbling block--to our own walk, and maybe to someone else's.

5) And of course, if we are attending a church that serves the homeless, the drug addicted, the poor in not just spirit but finances, be sensitive to that, and again, go with 'simple' and 'modest' and 'clean'--not ostentatious, conceited and in the vein of 'pearls' and 'designer clothing' et cetera, because that too can be a stumbling block to the unsaved, the new and immature in Christ, and even those who may be backsliding... though we don't know it.

It's the heart, yes. And, again not 'but'... And God endowed us with the ability to 'reason', not just 'feel', so making a 'judgment call' is something each of us is to do about 'our own conduct' and how it effects another person; it isn't something for us to 'project on to others' (as though we are 100% sure we know that person's motives, bank account amount, background in terms of morality, understanding of reverence, and especially 'state of grace'.

I am someone who once only owned two 'outfits' and one was a tee shirt and pair of yellow painter's overalls; I wore that outfit to church (clean, simple, modest) in the late 70s and the Baptist preacher changed his intended message and directed what he said he was 'led' to preach--directly AT me and how I was dressed: Like a man... disrespect in God's house...

It split that church.

I never entered another church for 6 more years...

I was backslid, and I stayed that way.

I'm not saying that preacher 'caused me to stay out in the cold', but you know what? I can't say I felt welcome in God's house after that, and the only reason I attended church 6 years later was because it was Easter and the pastor?

He was my cousin; preaching in a Baptist church. I had enough money then to own one dress, and I wore it--a simple burgundy dress, short sleeves, to my knees, pantyhose and black flats. I can tell you this though that was 30 years ago; I can tell you because I felt so rejected, and because I was 'that' poor.

Casting Crowns - If We Are The Body - YouTube

With all that in mind, and in my heart... after reading every post here (with respect to each person's experience, opinion, question, concern...), this song came to mind, and I want to share it with my brothers and sisters in Christ, as well as sharing it for 'anyone listening in' as I call it because I try to think not only of whoever originally posted and those who came after to have their say, but those who read and are effected by what we who profess to love God say 'to one another'--the spirit of it, and may wonder, 'Where's the Love'.

I have no one from this Thread or anyone in mind but myself in a 'judgmental sense' as I listen to this song, because I am to guard my heart--not yours; and I will stand before The Judgment Seat for what I have done and failed to do, not for what another has or hasn't...

Peace to us all in Christ Jesus,

~ Carolyn

Upvote 0