Visit site
✟558,852.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
You know, I went back and read what I had written....the only thing that seems to be left is for me to find an Orthodox parish and join.

**sigh**

Susan E Berger And your assertions for being the one, true, holy & catholic and apostolic church founded by Jesus Christ are?
Like · Reply · 4 hrs

Edward A. Hara
Susan E Berger I am in the midst of praying about this right now and doing my due diligence to ascertain the truth of the matter. Some of the things I am considering:

1. St. Vincent of Lerins described the catholic faith as "that which has been believed at all times, in all places, and by all people." It strikes me that beginning with the unwarranted addition of the filioque clause to the Creed, the Roman Church has placed itself outside that boundary.

2. Who gave the Roman Church, among all the other Churches in the Catholic Faith, the right and/or authority to change a creedal statement?

3. From the time of the sad and lamentable split of the East and the West, the Western Church seems to have evolved away from the earliest understandings of anthropology, soteriology, and other dogma once held by the Early Fathers. This is a cause for concern.

4. The Roman Church has developed some odd ideas which appear to be more in line with the tenants of Roman Civil Law than from the writings of the Early Church and Early Fathers, especially the views I see which appear to approach salvation as a legal transaction rather than a medicinal remedy for our souls as the Early Fathers taught.

5. These legalist ideas were the foundation of the corrupt Protestant Rebellion and the ensuing craziness in which they entertain themselves, yet no one appears to stop and think of particularly why this rebellion happened.

6. In regards to # 5 and 6, the invention of penances, (a type of legal payoff for sin) indulgences, and a place called Purgatory (where is that place that God is not) appear to be Roman legal corruptions. The common defense of Purgatory taken from 1 Corinthians 3 only mentions that we will be purged of remaining sin. It makes no mention of a place nor of buying indulgences to get out of Purgatory.

7. There are serious problems I have found with the translations from Greek to Latin by certain of the Western Fathers, beginning with Augustine, who admitted that he did not understand nor like Greek. As an example, there is no such command in the Scriptures as "do penance" as found in the Douay-Rheims Bible in Mark 6:12. That is an utter corruption of the Greek, and makes me wonder about the Roman Church being "the pillar and ground of truth" if they cannot get a simple concept like that correct.

I asked a Roman priest about this the other day and he admitted the idea of doing penance is a payment or restitution for sin. That is not at all the idea behind the word in Greek (metanoia), which means "to change one's mind" It appears the legal payoff mindset highly influenced the translation of the Douay-Rheims Bible..

The Catholic Church is one Body consisting of 23 different rites. David Bentley Hart has written a rather good paper in which he states that there really is no schism in the Church, so rather than there being schism, there is one true Church (in opposition to Protestantism) of the East and West in which there is a rite which appears to have left the teachings of the Early Fathers and embraced certain heterodoxies.

These heterodoxies are laid out by Fr. Thomas Hopko in the following paper, and are issues which the Western Church will have to address before unity can be achieved. I am trying to understand this all, but as I have continued to study the Christian faith, I am finding things in the Roman Church which cause me considerable concern and questioning.

Your turn.

http://www.svots.edu/.../roman-presidency-and-christian...

Roman Presidency and Christian Unity in our Time | St Vladimir's…
SVOTS.EDU

I am thinking her response should be most interesting.

Y'all keep praying for me.

Bessie

Orthodox Christian
Jun 9, 2007
Colorado
✟44,688.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Have you spent any length of time in Orthodox parishes or is your pull to Orthodoxy being met right now just through intellectual exercises and reading? I don't know your whole story because I'm only recently returned here, but I'm asking because I think you owe it to yourself to do this. If you want to convert it is going to take some time regardless, though perhaps less because you are already an Eastern Catholic... but talking to Orthodox priests the way you're talking to Catholic priests seems important. If you don't convert and end up returning to your home parish, it may be that you'll decide that this was misguided and something worth confessing, but God also knows your heart and knows you are seeking after Him. Taking some time away from your current parish and immersing yourself in a truly Orthodox parish seems to be the only way you're going to get real clarity on this, and taking some time away from your home church doesn't mean you're committed to leaving forever. This isn't an all or nothing proposition at this point, it seems to me...

Upvote 0

Light of the East

I'm Just a Singer in an OCA Choir
Site Supporter
Aug 4, 2013
Fairfax VA
Visit site
✟558,852.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Have you spent any length of time in Orthodox parishes or is your pull to Orthodoxy being met right now just through intellectual exercises and reading? I don't know your whole story because I'm only recently returned here, but I'm asking because I think you owe it to yourself to do this. If you want to convert it is going to take some time regardless, though perhaps less because you are already an Eastern Catholic... but talking to Orthodox priests the way you're talking to Catholic priests seems important. If you don't convert and end up returning to your home parish, it may be that you'll decide that this was misguided and something worth confessing, but God also knows your heart and knows you are seeking after Him. Taking some time away from your current parish and immersing yourself in a truly Orthodox parish seems to be the only way you're going to get real clarity on this, and taking some time away from your home church doesn't mean you're committed to leaving forever. This isn't an all or nothing proposition at this point, it seems to me...

That is both a fair and excellent question. I'm hopeful to go to Great Vespers tomorrow at St. Luke's. I still have to walk a fine line (very fine) with my traditionalist RC wife, so it will be a delicate balance at best.

I feel you are correct in your assessment and I am working on taking that next step.

Upvote 0